Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also a lot of the real arseholes either jumped or deselected themselves.

Honestly I doubt anyone we hate will actually get deselected. The best thing to come out of the rule change has been pricks leaving the party in anticipation of a purge that likely won't come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Its amazing that instead of doing what minor wings have do e in the past and bide their time progress are constantly throwing their toys out of the pram and then wondering why the party votes for more membership control over MPs

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

What's the difference supposed to be between "ideology based" and "values based"? Ideology comes from values. (The answer is that the word ideology polls badly)

It's centrism, friend! We're not bound by the old ways of doing politics, we choose the best ideas whichever side they come from, based on our values *sidles rightward*

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1175166429626343424

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that seems like a quite sensible thing given that they just abolished the deputy which would be the previous "person who takes over"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gosh! Do you think that Corbyn might step down after this one?

I mean, part of me would laugh and laugh if it turns out that the entire motive for Corbyn staying on was making Labour much more democratic and then peacing out.

OwlFancier posted:

Nice of them to let you bring your bed with you.

Sleep well!

Not exactly. Archival open day, woo!

I've worked out I am going to be doing 44 hours of overtime this month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do you at least get paid for it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

Do you at least get paid for it?

Time and a half. So yeah that'll be a whole £14.00 an hour.

One of my friends, bless her, was shocked when I was proud that I had £2000 pounds in my bank account at the start of this month. I've never been in poverty but I sure have been poor a long while.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I've ever had more than £3000 so yeah that's good, long hours suck but time and a half is some consolation, I remember when I ended up working 13 hours at double time once, that was a good day for all that i was knackered.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

Gosh! Do you think that Corbyn might step down after this one?

I mean, part of me would laugh and laugh if it turns out that the entire motive for Corbyn staying on was making Labour much more democratic and then peacing out.

That has been the rumour/possible Progress fever dream all this time, that Corbyn is not actually interested in being PM and that the purpose of the Corbyn project has all along been to pave the way for a new generation.

In the coldest possible light, this does make a kind of sense - I can't imagine him ever being happy with stuff like kissing the Queen's hand (the vehemence with which they deny this happens suggests it certainly does), writing the Letters of Last Resort, or just generally wielding ultimate authority. The question has to be then - who next?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I have thousands and thousands in my bank account. Not to brag.

Its always in red font for some reason tho

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As much as I agree that Watson can gently caress off, I’m really not liking this happening at this conference. This event should be about how Labour are united and a real political party, as opposed to the Tory conference which will likely be complete chaotic madness. I’d rather we avoid fractious drama.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If there's a dastardly (successful) coup against Corbyn, not sure what my position will be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Corbyn being PM is hardly mutually exclusive with a new generation, especially as I wouldn't trust the present generations any further than I can chuck them.

I'm definitely voting for the gen z kill you are parents generation.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Comrade Fakename posted:

As much as I agree that Watson can gently caress off, I’m really not liking this happening at this conference. This event should be about how Labour are united and a real political party, as opposed to the Tory conference which will likely be complete chaotic madness. I’d rather we avoid fractious drama.

Wreckers can gently caress off into the sun. Short term pain is worth the resulting long term health of the labour left's grip on the party.

The idea that this is somehow more egregious than removing the whip from 21 MPs is loving bullshit and anyone with a brain can see that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Eh, labour aren't united, but a lot of the split is between the membership and the MPs/leadership and we've been slowly taking over latter, best way to fix divisions where one side is clearly full of arseholes is to obliterate the wrong side of it!

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
never had more than 1500 at once to my name but I'll cop to not needing tons of money as the landlord is my wife's boomer parents

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem is that we're on the eve of a general election, and he's made it quite clear that he means to sabotage the gently caress out of his party during that. They sort of have to cut him off before the damage can worsen.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, labour aren't united, but a lot of the split is between the membership and the MPs/leadership and we've been slowly taking over latter, best way to fix divisions where one side is clearly full of arseholes is to obliterate the wrong side of it!

With twatson and labour students both dissolved (ideally in boiling acid), we can actually maybe start consolidating the party.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Further consolidation of member power would be nice yeah, the corbyn project is still fetching up against some pretty severe odds much as I like the man so I absolutely want labour to be ready to go with keeping the left in power if and when we need a new leader.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Drunken Auntie Emily 4 PM

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
mushroom cloud for leader

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Several angry climate striking cannibal teenagers in a donkey jacket for leader.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Trotsky McTrotface

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/savethebeesfam/status/1175084919225237510

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
4 separate nations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that the most horrifying scenario Green can imagine is that people just don't know how the EU works rather than they actively do not care how the EU works.

As if politics is not merely the id screaming into the void

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Danwhite1972/status/1175088355433943040?s=19

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Firos posted:

With twatson and labour students both dissolved (ideally in boiling acid)

We now go live to Tom Watson:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

The problem is that Watson & friends have been regularly briefing & working against the leadership & membership for years now. Leaking poo poo constantly to try & I dunno, embarrass Corbyn into resigning? Only the biggest idiot with the shortest memory could be convinced that Labour isn't deeply divided, it's been the story about Labour (along with the anti-semitism) for 4 years now.

It should have been dealt with before now but here we are, better we do it now than let Watson sink the election out of spite. As one insider observed, he's pissing in AND out of the tent all at once. Clearly it's a less than ideal timing but :shrug: here we are.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

the id screaming into the void

This is my life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's everyone's life to some degree.

I will say your id screams are much more artistic than mine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

4 separate nations.
Scotland, Ireland, Remainia & West Wales, Gammonaco.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think I've ever had more than £3000 so yeah that's good
I have more than that in our joint. :smug:

At the beginning of the month. :classiclol:

It's like the 21st now. :geno:

I'm scared to look. :smithicide:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Some lovely opinions on the climate strikes out in the wild today.

The usual argument seems to be asking people how they got there smugly, then going silent when the person replies 'I walked'

'It won't achieve anything' is another common argument against, making it clear they really don't give a shot about the next generation empowering themselves and being passionate about inheriting a world that can actually support them.

My local MP came, and ignored me when I asked him why he was obsessed with reopening a dead airport in the city to short haul flights - the least carbon efficient mode of transport.

Other than that was a good day, inspiring to see so many passionate kids.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Now we need to wait for someone to work out the question of brexit and we'll be sorted

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The question has to be then - who next?
Chaos with Ed Milliband :banjo:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got that response with a co worker when we saw the protest in boro.

I think she must just read the daily mail and nothing else, rapid fire of "when I was a kid I never had time I was at work" (she's 30) "where's this whole idea we've only got a few years come from, surely they would have known decades ago" "what's singing and drums got to do with climate"

Just... ergh. She's got a pretty poo poo life and shittier luck, and tries really hard to look after her kids but any sort of political concept she's just aggressively hostile to if it's not about getting rid of immigrants. She's so hostile I don't even know where to begin picking at it and the way she phrases everything makes it pretty clear that she's really not actually interested in engaging with the subject either, she just wants to rant.

It's that weird combination of really aggressive political views but utter disinterest in politics. Like no political thinking going on, just angry parroting of a prior position that itself doesn't make sense.

Strange given that I was looking at it and thinking that I would never have had the guts to stand up in the town square and shout through a megaphone when I was that age. How nice it is to hear it from someone who sounds like me for once rather than bloody posh southerners everywhere, glad to see people singing together because that builds a united spirit.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 20, 2019

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1175177148971278336
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1175179710285983745
There is no way a significant chunk of the PLP have the balls to break away from Labour right before a snap election.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ratjaculation posted:

Some lovely opinions on the climate strikes out in the wild today.

The usual argument seems to be asking people how they got there smugly, then going silent when the person replies 'I walked'

'It won't achieve anything' is another common argument against, making it clear they really don't give a shot about the next generation empowering themselves and being passionate about inheriting a world that can actually support them.

I think a lot of people are genuinely uncomfortable with the idea that there's anything wrong, because it implies that other people are doing the right thing and fighting the good fight while they do nothing. Or even the idea of people taking a moral stance in general, on anything. It's easier to be cynical and dismissive and go "don't they have jobs to go to" or whatever, it's a safe cushion from any introspection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1175177148971278336
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1175179710285983745
There is no way a significant chunk of the PLP have the balls to break away from Labour right before a snap election.

The spectre of CUKTIG looms large over every labour MP who is thinking of defecting. They're utterly craven and devoid of ideas. They won't leave the party unless they're going to be booted out anyway.