Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Where else can you buy an aircraft that will provide such valuable training to both pilots and mechanics?

Oh man getting the airplane high enough off the ground to do a retract was one of the sketchiest things we had to do when I was a mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rolo posted:

Oh man getting the airplane high enough off the ground to do a retract was one of the sketchiest things we had to do when I was a mechanic.

Came to post this.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I probably saw one of the last Thomas Cook departures leave (a Condor 767 out of SEA), since the company officially imploded about 15 minutes after that flight took off.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh poo poo. Sounds like at least 150k people are stranded

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

azflyboy posted:

I probably saw one of the last Thomas Cook departures leave (a Condor 767 out of SEA), since the company officially imploded about 15 minutes after that flight took off.

Condor’s still going... for now

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm slightly confused as to how Condor is still operating, unless they have some minority owners who aren't Thomas Cook who are guaranteeing that airports will get paid for stuff like fuel, landing fees, etc...

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

CFI checkride scheduled in two weeks :derp:

My mentors think I’m ready at least :shobon:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Went flying again yesterday. Tower guy sounded like his hair was on fire. Still one dude doing ground, tower and clearance delivery, with a highly active flight school and a lot of GA traffic and regularly scheduled Pilatus and King Air mini-airlines. He was transmitting on multiple channels so I'd be hearing IFR clearances while taxiing and parking instructions on the tower frequency when inbound. As a result the VFR pattern was closed, obviously, and while it still kinda bugs me I at least understand it. They need to hire more controllers. I got a bunch of solo landing practice in over the last two weeks anyway so I'm not as concerned with my skills there any more. Gotta flare a little higher and keep the nose up a little longer.

Anyway, since the pattern was closed I went out over the coast and just flew around looking at stuff, "practicing steep turns" any time I saw something cool on the ground. Saw a herd of motorcycles going down the 101 and slowed down to 45kn to lazily parallel them for a while. Watched the marine layer hovering off the shoreline. Saw some hawks doing lazy circles just like me.

It's really wonderful.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 23, 2019

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
So, uh, last Saturday I took my CFI checkride and passed and I'm terrified at the idea that I can now instruct people. :ohdear:

Now onward to CFII! Gonna be in the sim for quite a bit.

Reztes posted:

CFI checkride scheduled in two weeks :derp:

My mentors think I’m ready at least :shobon:
Good luck! Make sure to have snacks available, the checkride can be really freaking long.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

cigaw posted:

So, uh, last Saturday I took my CFI checkride and passed and I'm terrified at the idea that I can now instruct people. :ohdear:

Now onward to CFII! Gonna be in the sim for quite a bit.

Good luck! Make sure to have snacks available, the checkride can be really freaking long.

Thats the hardest one! Congrats!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

They need to hire more controllers.

What field?

The chances of it happening range from “lolno” if it’s an FAA facility to “never loving happening in a million years” if it’s a contract tower.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

azflyboy posted:

I'm slightly confused as to how Condor is still operating, unless they have some minority owners who aren't Thomas Cook who are guaranteeing that airports will get paid for stuff like fuel, landing fees, etc...

local news said that condor was actually profitable in spite of thomas cook being a poo poo show and that they're hoping for a small bailout from the german gov to get them rolling as a standalone company

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrYenko posted:

What field?

The chances of it happening range from “lolno” if it’s an FAA facility to “never loving happening in a million years” if it’s a contract tower.

KSQL.

It's not on the FAA list here https://123atc.com/facilities so I assume it's a contract tower so ugh. The field is about as busy as Palo Alto, which is on there and which is level 6, so I think it at least deserves a little more attention than one guy in the cab doing everything by himself.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

cigaw posted:

:toot: Congrats on passing the hardest check ride there is. Don't worry about the terror thing, everyone gets it. Eventually you'll learn to hide it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mactheknife posted:

local news said that condor was actually profitable in spite of thomas cook being a poo poo show and that they're hoping for a small bailout from the german gov to get them rolling as a standalone company

Yeah Condor is an odd one that it was never fully integrated into Thomas Cook, so it has the operations to continue. Re-becoming independent is likely.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Life update. Let's go back to June, shall we?

CBJSprague24 posted:

It...uh...appears I'm being offered a job with our college's flight training vendor (141 with 61 flying, too) as their part-time flight training manager.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was offered $2,400 more a year by a flight school to take on probably 3-4x the work I'm doing now, plus being the first person students would encounter when they're pissed off and no benefits. Fuckin' :laffo:, I'll stay put, thanks.

...dear, sweet baby Jesus, am I glad I didn't take this job. The person who DID (who probably was the best person for the job, tbh) was excited for the challenge but, in a little over two months, is instead ready to quit because they're being treated horribly by administrators and, if they do bail, the whole thing is probably hosed because nobody else (at least internal, but also anybody who catches wind of the working conditions) is going to want to do it, either.

e- If it does go to hell in a handbasket, my target salary just doubled if they try to talk me into taking it again and I thought I was being generous with my number the first time.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2019

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I still tune into my last 135 on social media so I can read the comments when people bail and they have to post job openings. Seeing the CEO come in and argue with people on a Facebook posting is like crack.

Go find your crack, friend.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Rolo posted:

I still tune into my last 135 on social media so I can read the comments when people bail and they have to post job openings. Seeing the CEO come in and argue with people on a Facebook posting is like crack.

that’s cool, what does he tell them?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

Oh lord what I’d give to see Dietrich or Flynn on comms. :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Rolo posted:

Eventually, I'll reach a point where it's my crack if I stop caring. Not quite there, yet, because there are some solid people in and around it.

Dear God, if the program had a social media outlet where the customers went weapons free, it could be a bloodbath. The fact there's a Group and nobody has said anything which would require mod action since it was started earlier this year makes me wish the best gigs possible upon them once they hit mins.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Animal posted:

It usually starts with someone saying “stay far away this is the classic exploitive 135”

The CEO inevitably jumps in with “you don’t know my company you’ve never worked here all you know is just gossip everyone that left here did it because they can’t handle a real job” boomer poo poo.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Me, midfield, after being in the pattern doing touch and go's for 3 hours with my instructor: "Tower, this will be a full stop for N12345".
Tower: "Oh thank god! Cleared to land 13".

Every one of the 30 landings prior he made us call him on base to get cleared. Poor guy had been waiting 45 minutes to go to the bathroom.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Me: I'm gonna go flying this morning!

The METAR: 27032G41KT

Me:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today there were a bunch of little kids hanging off the fence at the departure end of the runway and I waggled my wings at them as I took off and they all waved back :3:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Drinking beer and driving golf balls at a send-off party for two of our instructors, one who's off to race in the Brickyard 170 and the other headed for 135, reminds me why I'm still at this job.

Camaraderie in aviation with people with mutual appreciation for each other is a hell of a drug. I'm lucky as hell the instructor staff hasn't lumped me in with the rest of my co-workers who are currently pissing them off.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
One of these is not like the others.

The owner wasn't around and I had a flight so I couldn't annoy anyone to get pictures up close :(

Animal posted:

Thats the hardest one! Congrats!

KodiakRS posted:

:toot: Congrats on passing the hardest check ride there is. Don't worry about the terror thing, everyone gets it. Eventually you'll learn to hide it.
Thanks y'all! I'm starting to feel less like a menace.

Sagebrush posted:

Today there were a bunch of little kids hanging off the fence at the departure end of the runway and I waggled my wings at them as I took off and they all waved back :3:
That's awesome :3:

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I remember taxiing a 747 past a guy in Anchorage with a huge camera and being like “hell yeah” :)

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Somewhere I have pics of various crews giving us thumbs ups when we stood on a huge pile of dirt (we didn’t see that it was cordoned off, honest!) to get shots without the fences showing at Sydney Airport some years back.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Arson Daily posted:

I remember taxiing a 747 past a guy in Anchorage with a huge camera and being like “hell yeah” :)

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Somewhere I have pics of various crews giving us thumbs ups when we stood on a huge pile of dirt (we didn’t see that it was cordoned off, honest!) to get shots without the fences showing at Sydney Airport some years back.

There was an SJU-based ATR captain for Eagle who was known for hamming it up for the camera every time he taxiied past the Aeroparque just off Runway 8. He knew there were both spotters and kids there (they used to have a playground so the kids could run around while the parents drank beer and watched airplanes).

That place would be packed on Sundays. Every now and then, you'd even see a kid's birthday party in their party room. I always admired how much Puerto Ricans seemed to love their airplanes.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 2, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I lurk this thread solely because of my fondness for planespotting videos on youtube

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
After years of flying on the doorstep of the Rockies, I finally did my first mountain flight yesterday. It was a beautiful day, so they seemed positively benign but I know better than to count on that. Still, it was beautiful and loving awesome, and I want to go back and do it again!!!

PS if you land in Invermere, the Kicking Horse Coffee World HQ is within easy walking distance. Best $500 coffee ever! Especially because my employer paid for the flight.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 3, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

After years of flying on the doorstep of the Rockies, I finally did my first mountain flight yesterday. It was a beautiful day, so they seemed positively benign but I know better than to count on that. Still, it was beautiful and loving awesome, and I want to go back and do it again!!!

Welcome to what started my addiction into flying.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

e.pilot posted:

Welcome to what started my addiction into flying.

If I’d been less a moron, I’d have done my mountain check before all my CPL timebuilding instead of flying all around flatass southern Alberta. Oh well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also I was ground briefing forced approaches with a student today and during the “declare an emergency” conversation, Siri tried to call 911, I managed to stop it like 1 second before it dialed.

gently caress technology imho.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

PT6A posted:

PS if you land in Invermere, the Kicking Horse Coffee World HQ is within easy walking distance. Best $500 coffee ever! Especially because my employer paid for the flight.

My first cross country flight was over the Sierra crest from Reno to Auburn, CA because the FAA written test facility in Reno closed down and that was the closest place to do my PPL written test.

Good decision imo.

a patagonian cavy fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 3, 2019

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Boys and girls as of today I am a CFII and can train someone all the way from student pilot to commercial and it's nuts. 2 more ratings to go and I'll start instructing and building those sweet hours as students try to kill me in the pattern! :toot:

Actually enjoyed this checkride. Same DPE who did my Private ride. I was her first CFII candidate. :3:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Congrats! :toot:

CFII was still my favorite rating and check ride all around, my favorite to teach too.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

CFI-I is unquestionably my favorite rating. The students aren't trying to kill you as much, you get to fly IFR all the time which is a blast, and it was a pre-req to being a check instructor at my current school so I had a head start on that.

Then a student loses the glideslope in hard IMC and you question every single thing you've ever done in your life up to that point.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

Then a student loses the glideslope in hard IMC and you question every single thing you've ever done in your life up to that point.

There’s no ground above you :madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey bros. Can you think of a reason we don't have clever post-processing for radios so human voices are amplified and noise is reduced? There are different levels of sophistication that could be used. My #1 guess is processing isn't quick enough to be effectively real-time. Could approach with traditional signal-processing techniques, machine-learning, Fourier analysis to reconstruct voices etc.