Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I thought it was fine and some of the interviews really made me laugh. Loved Will Ferrell playing himself.

I think a good indicator of it though is that my mom liked it, and she has no connection to even the original webshow. Just watched it cause David Letterman was in it, and she liked his Netflix show. To me it felt like it was going for a more for everyone movie, and not really a hardcore fan movie, even though it had it's little nods at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Lauren Lapkus played a great straight character in the movie. A real C+ performance

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I thought it was fine and some of the interviews really made me laugh. Loved Will Ferrell playing himself.

I think a good indicator of it though is that my mom liked it, and she has no connection to even the original webshow. Just watched it cause David Letterman was in it, and she liked his Netflix show. To me it felt like it was going for a more for everyone movie, and not really a hardcore fan movie, even though it had it's little nods at times.

I think this is a big part of it, my wife had never really seen Between Two Ferns but when I was watching it she would laugh here and there at parts I thought were kinda meh.

I read a little bit of an interview with Scott and he said a lot of him and Zach's ideas went to Baskets and they were stuck thinking of a plot for quite some time, then Scott was watching Wayne's World and was like "oh I can just keep this really simple", so I think he went for mass appeal as well as not working very deep to make a great script.

I thought the directing was pretty good (at least not noticeably bad) though, which I have to imagine this is his first full length feature?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I enjoyed it. Not amazing, but who cares about the plot in about 3/4 of these kinds of comedies anyway, and it was only ~80 minutes including outtakes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think my favorite parts, outside of the ending outtakes which really were good, were the interviews with Jon Hamm (of course) and Chance the Rapper.

Listening to the CBB episode, I am kind of curious to see the enormous first act they filmed before having to cut it down to almost nothing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chairman Capone posted:

I think my favorite parts, outside of the ending outtakes which really were good, were the interviews with Jon Hamm (of course) and Chance the Rapper.

Listening to the CBB episode, I am kind of curious to see the enormous first act they filmed before having to cut it down to almost nothing.

That does suck because the 1st Act at the TV station was much better than the road trip stuff.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
in the cbb episode with the cast they mentioned something lapkus improvised that they then went out and shot stuff for, and i think that was when she took out the trumpet on the boat, which was for me one of teh funniest bits.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm pushing white just thinking about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Y'all are just jaded, I thought it was great. The trumpet part was definitely a highlight but there were plenty of laugh out loud moments. The Paul Rudd interview was great, also Will Ferrel is always great, loved the CBB cameos throughout. The public access clips especially were great nods.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 23, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The movie definitely sags a bit in the middle - the second act conflict feels manufactured, because it is - but as far as turning a series of 3 minute Internet videos into a feature length film goes, it's wildly successful. The framing device and explanation of "How does Zach manage to get these huge guests for such a dog of a show produced in rural North Carolina" was pretty inspired.

My biggest complaint was Tessa Thompson giving a reason for why she was in Nebraska; I really liked that, to that point, they completely glossed over why they were driving through the Midwest to talk to Cumberbatch or whoever. (Jon Hamm and St. Louis notwithstanding, that one makes sense. Though I did like that he was inexplicably signing autographs in a church...and that he didn't even attempt to hide his delight at the slam on Tag.)

Scott mentioned in that AV Club interview that they had talked about "could we do a TV show with the Public Access station characters," and I would be very interested to see that. It's clear that being in the studio for those segments let them really build up a world that we barely got a sense for in the final cut.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I also enjoyed it, and thought the framing was fine as it never hung around too long before going back to jokes. The interviews were all absolutely top notch, and the blooper reel was phenomenal. Genuinely felt like the first time either Zach or the interviewees were hearing the jokes, which is a great side to see.

Also sign me up for the hours of cut footage.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
They did a Q&A at JFL42 with Scott and Lauren, and it sounds like there was a lot about Zach's family, a Cam romance subplot, and a hotel talent show that Zach's team put together all cut from the final version.

Basically, test screening people wanted more interview and less plot.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wonder if Seth Galifianakis was going to appear in the cut family stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

Wonder if Seth Galifianakis was going to appear in the cut family stuff.

I hope he listened to more Fugees albums with Funyuns.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

When John Gemberling as the third guest was introduced as a Wiping Expert and there was still an hour of podcast left, I knew today's episode was going to go places.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've watched Between Two Ferns The Movie twice now, and enjoyed it much more the second time. All the fern gags were pretty great. I wish Edi Patterson was more of a presence, cuz seeing a Bean Dip adjacent character was hilarious.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Been catching up on the live episodes, and IMHO Ego Nwodim is not good at CBB. Her improv instincts are just bad and her characters are lame. It feels like she just says whatever and then scrambles and stumbles to make it work. On one show she plays a saleswoman who will sell you anything and I guess that's the joke? And she keeps asking the others "Come on, what do you want me to sell you?", floundering for someone else to rescue her bit. Also, saying "Bitcoint" is no better or funnier than Tyler Perry saying "Good afternoont".

And yet they keep having her back so clearly she's bringing something I just don't get.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Someone please report the post above. Thank you.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ego's appearances were worth it for making Scott uncomfortable by saying the n word alone. I'm glad she's not on the whole tour like Lauren and PFT, because yeah she's not as good at CBB as they are, and that stands out after a few episodes in a row, but having guests there so it's not just a Threedom tour with characters is still a good thing imo. Bringing a little more diversity to CBB isn't a bad thing either.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Scott was surprisingly on board for the Gemberling insanity this episode

Also I really like Ego, her characters are hit and miss but I find her appearances almost always good. Haven't listened to any of the live episodes though. She always makes a good duo with Carl Tart too, the "solid as a rock" episode was great.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 25, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Haven't listened to any of the live episodes though. She always makes a good duo with Carl Tart too, the "solid as a rock" episode was great.

Good news!

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
I like Ego and think you are wrong if you don’t think she’s “good at CBB”, whatever the gently caress that means.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I like Ego; she’s funny and has the skill of ensuring even when she is off track, it is funny off-track and not boring or rambling off-track.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ego is loving hilarious, though I do think entre is one of the weakest cbb characters and she is way more funny once she starts interacting with the other characters

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 26, 2019

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Ego is a rockstar on Teachers Lounge and always great on Improv4Humans too. That's just crazy your name should be FitForCrazy.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

When I left the Boston live show I was behind this dude talking to his girlfriend about how Ego is bad at improv. His girlfriend, who had clearly never listened to the podcast and got dragged to the live said “she was my favorite one there.” Dude quickly backtracked into saying she wasn’t as bad at the live show as she normally is on the podcast. Could just tell from hearing 30 seconds of their convo that that dude is the worst.

Also I love Ego and she makes me laugh a lot. In fact I fact tuned in for a few of the first episodes of SNL she was on but she got almost no lines so I went back to not watching.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah Ego is consistently very good I honestly have no idea where the criticism is coming from.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Yeah Ego is consistently very good I honestly have no idea where the criticism is coming from.

I mean, I get it, she isn't very good at improv. But most of the time she's pretty funny.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Dumbfucks mostly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of Ego, she got the writing credit for this SNL sketch on the weekend that was, especially given the off season incident, a really good example of how you can use racial humor that doesn't beat down and is actually funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGqtZmShIkw

Hope she gets more opportunities this season, she wasn't featured much last year but this sketch went down really well so finger's crossed.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I would LOVE to have no idea where the criticism of Ego Nwodim as a performer of improv comedy comes from. I'm sure the guy from Boston had some good insights. Wish I could've heard them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I just listened to the JFL live show and let me say: Truck Jesus would be Bigfoot, not that piece of poo poo Gravedigger

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wikipedians, or whatever they call themselves, are slipping as Sarah Bakers birthdate is still there and no mention of her favorite tv show to work on.

e: both issues now resolved it seems.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 14, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Griffin Newman's character was great this week, dude works fast and has great timing. He's definitely become the new 'out of nowhere this guy is good' for me.

Also, do see Greener Grass. As much as Scott refused to say so it's out on VOD and if you like the trailer you'll like the film. It's plenty odd.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Blank Check is great.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've liked him since his Chris Gethard and UCB days :smug:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

What has he done with Geth outside of podcasts, did he ever do TCGS? Maybe I’ve seen him in things like Night of Zero Laughs or something but not remembered the name.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, he was on a decent number of TCGS episodes earlier in the run, and actually ran a podcast with Riley (Vacation Jason) about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sweet, I keep meaning to pick up from where I left off (around 50 or so in?) so hopefully I’ll catch him soon. Didn’t even know the podcast existed, ha.