Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I can see Dolan and Ames unconsciously avoiding a Spanish Civil War episode because it's almost guaranteed to start some fights online in their fan base. And they'd be boring 70 year old fights too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dolan wrote a really great article on exiled a long time ago about how Orwell was a colonialist pig, and his relation to Christopher Hitchens.

http://exiledonline.com/big-brothers-george-orwell-and-christopher-hitchens-exposed/
https://www.marxists.org/archive/deutscher/1955/1984.htm

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
this week's nerd is going to be lit

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Catching up on episodes since I was a fair bit behind and this climate change episode with christian parenti is pretty loving grim.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

one of my favourite episodes they did was the bosnian war ep, in which they also touched on the wider situation in yugoslavia at that time. i wonder if that started some poo poo in the fanbase, i wasn't a subscriber then so i don't know.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Catching up on episodes since I was a fair bit behind and this climate change episode with christian parenti is pretty loving grim.

That was the first episode I listened to, after seeing the podcast recommended here.

It sold me on the show. These guys weren't going to screw around or sugarcoat.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gh0stpinballa posted:

one of my favourite episodes they did was the bosnian war ep, in which they also touched on the wider situation in yugoslavia at that time. i wonder if that started some poo poo in the fanbase, i wasn't a subscriber then so i don't know.

never pay attention to what fans think

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

настаће већа србија

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dolan wrote a really great article on exiled a long time ago about how Orwell was a colonialist pig, and his relation to Christopher Hitchens.

http://exiledonline.com/big-brothers-george-orwell-and-christopher-hitchens-exposed/

I dunno, I love most of Dolan's writing and he scores some good points here but then there are paragraphs like this:

quote:

And this too is a lie. Orwell was never the only maverick around, and every time he implies that his colleagues all joined some totalitarian club, he libels them and shames himself. It’s true that in the mid-1930s huge chunks of the Continental intelligentsia chose sides among Stalin, Hitler and the Pope; but even in more factionalized worlds like France, there were many independent writers doing very well. Celine, a real loner, with more mad courage than a reactionary like Orwell could even imagine, became famous at the very worst phase of Leftist hegemony in the Parisian scene without following any party’s line.

Calling Orwell a "reactionary" and praising Celine's "mad courge" in the specific context of choosing sides during the 1930s is vile. No one should praise Celine's conduct during the war, the man collaborated with the fascists and authored numerous anti-semitic texts. Setting him up as the more brave and dignified contrast to Orwell forced me to reevaluate the entire rest of the essay and makes me feel like I can't really trust Dolan here. His sullen bitching about Hitchen's criticizing Mother Theresa doesn't inspire much confidence either.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is this week's ep out yet

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Finally got around to listening to the PR episode and I love how committed the show is to making it hard to understand what the guest is saying. Even when they get a native English speaker, the phone line is terrible or there's a storm in the background, or the connection keeps cutting. It's magical.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

Finally got around to listening to the PR episode and I love how committed the show is to making it hard to understand what the guest is saying. Even when they get a native English speaker, the phone line is terrible or there's a storm in the background, or the connection keeps cutting. It's magical.

it adds to the authenticity

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Joementum posted:

I feel it makes some kind of meta point that the connection quality to the PR interviewee was worse than the one to northern Nigeria during a thunderstorm.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

struggling to understand the speaker through a combination of awful connection quality and thick accents helps you listen more intently and makes your brain strong

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing but yeah I was frustrated trying to understand WTF the PR guy was saying as the line cracked in and out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The first 30 or 40 episodes were all like that even when it was just Mark and John. I forget exactly which episode it was but in one case I remember John was literally sitting in the public lobby of a hotel with audible music and voices in the background for the duration of the interview.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

genericnick posted:

I feel it makes some kind of meta point that the connection quality to the PR interviewee was worse than the one to northern Nigeria during a thunderstorm.

lmao that was, like, seattle or toronto or something, not kano

nigeria has 4g, enough to stream video (expensively), but there's a two-second delay, makes phone conversations overseas extremely difficult

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Helsing posted:

The first 30 or 40 episodes were all like that even when it was just Mark and John. I forget exactly which episode it was but in one case I remember John was literally sitting in the public lobby of a hotel with audible music and voices in the background for the duration of the interview.
There was definitely one with Dolan in a net cafe which I found so adorable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Helsing posted:

Yeah that was when John was in Thailand IIRC and it was after NSFWCORP closed, but they were still calling into Paul Carr's soundboard, which had been relocated to the closet of his SF apartment.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

the original failson left doing good podding with terrible sound

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

passing the torch to matt christman screaming into a laptop resting on his sky-facing tummy

coathat
May 21, 2007

Brendan should be given a medal for his podcast production work.

That said my goal is to become an expert on Central African wars so I can call in an interview from my riding lawnmower

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"So John, where are you this week?"

"Well, the only doctor who could treat this new blood disease lives in Rio and Katherine has always wanted to see Carnival, so..."

*rest of episode is drowned out by parade noises*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

pangstrom posted:

I have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing but yeah I was frustrated trying to understand WTF the PR guy was saying as the line cracked in and out.

It was almost as bad as, I think it was the Spanish American war one, where the interviewee was going "uhhh" way way too much. Most people probably tune out the occasional "uh" but this guy was next level.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
There are significant segments in the Puerto Rico episode that are just straight static noise. I imagine the producer just throwing up his hands on this one, didn't even bother to cut it. It really is unlistenable towards he end.

Looking forward to drone clancychat on the next episode for sure though.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Newsletter #86 posted:

mid-1980s a sustained campaign coordinated by Iranian, Syrian and Hezbollah intelligence agencies penetrates the Beirut CIA station, kidnaps, tortures and kills the station chief and destroys a meeting of all-important CIA personnel with a VBIED.  

I apologize for bring up a newsletter that is almost 2 months old. I know who the station chief was, but I cant figure out what the destroyed meeting was. Does anyone know?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Big Dick Cheney posted:

I apologize for bring up a newsletter that is almost 2 months old. I know who the station chief was, but I cant figure out what the destroyed meeting was. Does anyone know?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_United_States_embassy_bombing_in_Beirut

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What are the all time best episodes of this show?

I really liked the "Iran War Scenarios" ep. Do they ever do any episodes on an example of that really happening, where a small country with homegrown tech annihilates a goliath superpower bloated with its own perception of itself?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What are the all time best episodes of this show?

I really liked the "Iran War Scenarios" ep. Do they ever do any episodes on an example of that really happening, where a small country with homegrown tech annihilates a goliath superpower bloated with its own perception of itself?

The episode about the actual Iran-Iraq war is great if you havent heard it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The one that comes to mind first is:
Radio War Nerd EP #179 — Max Blumenthal on "The Management Of Savagery"

Basically, if you don't like that one I'm pretty sure you're not going to like almost any of RWN.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
whoa the episode that just dropped is another max blumenthal one

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

I dunno, I love most of Dolan's writing and he scores some good points here but then there are paragraphs like this:

Calling Orwell a "reactionary" and praising Celine's "mad courge" in the specific context of choosing sides during the 1930s is vile. No one should praise Celine's conduct during the war, the man collaborated with the fascists and authored numerous anti-semitic texts. Setting him up as the more brave and dignified contrast to Orwell forced me to reevaluate the entire rest of the essay and makes me feel like I can't really trust Dolan here. His sullen bitching about Hitchen's criticizing Mother Theresa doesn't inspire much confidence either.

Celine didn't really dive whole hog into antisemitism until about 1937. In the early 1930s Celine was considered brave because he viciously attacked the sensibilities of the French bourgeois (which is ironic because antisemitism was their biggest sentiment). That's also why Trotsky and Sartre were such big fans of Celine at the time.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Thank you. That was really bugging me

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hezbollah is much like the wu tang clan

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Phone posted:

hezbollah is much like the wu tang clan

In that they ain't nuthin' to gently caress with?

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Crakkerjakk posted:

In that they ain't nuthin' to gently caress with?

Knesset Rules Everything Around Me (K.R.E.A.M.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

animist posted:

Knesset Rules Everything Around Me (K.R.E.A.M.)

*extremely ihlan omar voice* dolla dolla bills, y'all