Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
please finally give us a bomber so i can fly it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
WHOO! It's time to batten the hatches and set sail for the skies of..

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
You plan to run it in good old CMANO or in newly announced sequel?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The new one, CMO. I already have Tacview (Hi Airgoons!) so it'll make a nice merge. I'm not sure how it'll end up working in the end but with DCS it's possible to rewind/replay an entire mission and focus on different things. Which as an AAR tool would be amazing, again, not sure how it'll work in CMO.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh man. Maximum excite!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Once we're ready to roll, I'll submit my actual pilot this time. Seriously, I'm so pumped this is coming back. I was so sad that I joined right before the final mission.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

aw hell yeah

My personal dream is HG: Cold War, full of glorious 1950s jets, but no matter what era I'm in.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I will fight for dogmocracy and booze once again

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

A few folks have PM'd me about ideas. Please do! I've got a picture in my head of what this is going to look like, but more ideas are better. I'm going to wait on the story/plot advancement till CMO releases, but the mechanical side of how HG2.0 will work is something I don't mind discussing.

Here's the plan so far :

• Individual missions will occur world wide. Not limited by theater.
  • Missions will include plot progressing and also interesting situations unrelated to the plot.
  • SAM's will be rare or lovely. Probably both.
  • AAA will be everywhere.
  • Radar will be limited by range. Getting access to better radars may require greased palms or national interests expanded.
  • Pilot "fatigue" will reduce skill level. This is mostly to keep the roster flowing.
  • BVR will Be Very Rare.
  • Stand off munitions will also be expensive, rare, or restricted to the black market.
  • There will be a range of RECON levels that we can expend to get AOO info. More recon increases the chance the hostiles will know we're coming

All in all the goal is to fly more missions with a greater variety of planes and pilots. Procurement will happen probably after every mission. It won't be wide open procurement but based on offerings from suppliers. We can put in special requests, but no guarantee that we'll get them. Depending how the different CMO features impact our gameplay we'll adjust accordingly.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

1. I am beyond thrilled that we're going to get a sequel

2. If I do have a mechanical suggestion I'd recommend having a rotation of pilots (within reason) so that way even if there is a backlog, people can still be a part of an upcoming mission. Basically have the "fatigued" pilots rest while fresh pilots get rotated in. Stuff like that.

3. We really do need to make sure we can keep doing stuff like accidentally getting cities shelled or have Extraction Rally Races like before. I'm sure that will keep being a thing, but still.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

A few of you have asked me to turn this into a novel. I'd like to do that. At the end of this post will be an interview with MR VC "Warmachine" about how Operation Goose went. The novel I'm going to write will be a retrospective set of interviews with the Hired Goons, opponents, staff, and characters. If you'd like, give me a short bio of your pilot or crew, at the least a "He (or she) served in the Air Force/Navy/Marines/British Navy and likes cake." I'll do what I can to work in your quirks.

Major "Bac" was a Strike Eagle backseater with a promising career in the Air Force. He'd just pinned on his oak leaves, done an exchange tour with the ROKAF, and was in line to attend the Fighter Weapons School at Nellis. All that ended in a horrific low-level accident at Red Flag Alaska that killed his pilot and left one leg shorter than the other. Medically discharged, he sunk into a downward spiral that only ended (some would say it continued) when he saw an ad in Playboy Presents: Aviation Week & Space Technology for the Hired Goons.

Bac started his career with the Goons in the right seat of one of the Saab trainers. He flew the second mission in Tibet in the little Saab without hitting much. As one of the few Goons with WSO experience, he climbed into the pit of Murphy's newly-arrived Phantom for the Lhasa raid. Murphy and Bac peppered the runway with gliding cluster bombs, helping kick in the door for the Dragonkillers' epic low-level attack. Bac stuck with the Phantom in Angola long enough for him and Murphy to splash a merc MiG-29. However, their luck ran out when they went head to head for a guns-only pass on an Angola Flanker. The Angolan missile broke the Phantom's back and the ejection broke Bac's back. It wasn't until the Balkans that'd be get back in the cockpit, this time in the backseat of a Gripen F. Over the Balkans, Bac and pilot Fungus both became aces, although their liberal use of Meteors and SDBs nearly bankrupted the company.

When he wasn't flying, Bac was the Goons' Operation Officer on weekdays and a procurement gadfly on weekends. He also did a stint as the Goons' mission briefer, although he got fired[ suspended from duty after emptying a 9mm into the tour bus of Albania's second-best Gilbert and Sullivan touring company. He maintains they had it coming.

Briefings

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation First Impressions is a go!

Here is your briefing. We are wheels up in 30 minutes.

Bacarruda posted:

Gentlemen, Operation Black Diamond commences in one hour. Prepare to man your planes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRVvRFlPxqg

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Gorgnard-Falafel Ranger has been approved. Stand by for your briefing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fiu3SWNrJgs

And some Moto Patches for our pilots. Someone with more talent is welcome to improve them.

1st Fighter Squadron "The Angola Aces"

2nd Fighter Squadron "The Phantom Phlyers"

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Golgotha has been approved, Hired Goons!

Briefing at 0600.

https://soundcloud.com/user-626960519/operation-golgotha-1
https://youtu.be/Om56tZTAvnc

e: fixed!

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Finest Hour is a go! Here is your briefing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh6cwET1Rns

And some theme music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFEXitPn1ko

Bacarruda posted:

Your briefing for the next operation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqyfbPh4MPI

Bacarruda posted:

Operation Dutch Harpoon is a go!
https://youtu.be/7j1v5EpyFxQ

Bacarruda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJdPG_OpshI

The next chorus that gets into the ready room is going to be shot and poisoned...or maybe poisoned and shot.

Vignettes

New York Times posted:

Hâyard Günnes: Angola’s Air Mercenaries

BENGUELA – Their base is not much to look at. A weather-beaten collection of tents, containers, and hangars squat on the fringes of the dusty Angola airstrip. But this ragged settlement is the nerve center of the fastest-growing private air force in the world: Hâyard Günnes. Of course, everyone here calls prefer their more piratical nickname: Hired Goons.

In the dim glow of the Angolan morning, trucks and people scurry around the airfield, doing the million and one things needed to feed and fuel a modern fighter aircraft. Stripped to the waist to beat the oppressive heat, ground crews sweat and swear as they go about their work. They hoist ominous-looking smart bombs on hulking Phantoms, Vietnam-era jets still deadly after five decades of service. They fasten dagger-like missiles on sleek Gripens, sleek Swedish fighters that have already killed over thirty Angolan aircraft. And they pump JP5 jet fuel into the buglike SK60 trainers everyone here calls the Dragonslayers, commemorating the moment these primitive jets sttrafed a squadron of Chinese J-20 Dragon stealth fighters at Lhasa. Former warplanes from Israel, the United States, Sweden, Britain, France, and Italy are all represented here on the flight line, testifying to the Hired Goon’s stunningly-rapid expansion over the last few months.

Elsewhere on the base, a few pilots straggle into a rusty hangar. Light streams in through the bullet-scarred roof, reminders of the bloody battle between Angolan revolutionaries fought to capture this world from forces loyal to Angola dictator Delvanios Dos Santos. Around the hangar, a few dozen men and women slouch in folding chairs. Others stand in small circles, filling the air with the low murmur of their sleepy conversation. Occasionally, they break into muffled, weary laughter. It has been a long campaign for the Hired Goons, and everyone seems to be showing it. Nearly everyone wears a sweat-stained flight suit or rumpled fatigues that haven’t seen the inside of a washing machine for a month.

Still, everyone here carries themselves with the quiet confidence of professionals. A quick glance at their uniforms confirms their veterans. Nearly every pilot has patches with phrases like “Centurion,” “TOPGUN,” or “Phantom Phyler,” public professions of a lifetime of flying experience. The Hired Goons haven't been called the “Angolan Aces” for nothing.

At times, the diversity can be a little bewildering. One goon is wearing a brightly-patterned woolen sweater that seems completely out of place in Angola. A memento of his Michigan hometown, maybe? There’s an Irish officer hotly debating the merits of the Typhoon fighter against the Gripen. Another pilot in a “Save the Whales” T-shirt wanders around the room misquoting Marx to anyone who will listen, seemingly unconcerned by the fact he is working for one of the most ravenously capitalistic companies on the planet. A young man sits in the corner of the room, flipping through a stack of tank silhouettes, a stubby Kalashnikov cradled in his lap. One Polish aviator amuses his friends with a surprisingly good Hulk Hogan impression. And everyone has an outlandish callsign. In the space of thirty seconds, you can meet “Scoper,” “Sonic Assassin,” “Potoo,” “Meat,” and “Unicorn.”

Suddenly, someone clears his throat. The conversation dies and everyone heads to their seats. The few lights in the hangar die and small projector flickers to life, projecting a map of Angola onto the wall.

“Good morning, Hired Goons.” Major Bac limps to the front of the room, gritting his teeth. A few weeks ago, an Angola missile broke his Phantom’s back. His ejection seat had broken his. His arm is in a sling and angry burns scar his hands, painful souvenirs of the violent ejection.

“Shouldn’t you be in the hospital, Bac?” one pilot yells, only half-joking.

Bac grins. “Ugly nurses and no booze. Would you have stayed?”

The assembled goons chuckle.

“Alright gentlemen, here’s the briefing for Operation Finest Hour…”

Hired Goons, Interlude posted:

The Major ran his hand over the Gripen's smooth metal skin, feeling the familiar contours of rivets against his fingertips. Each part was right where he remembered it. Pylons, antennas, flaps and plexiglass. Each one sleeping, waiting to be called to action.

Beneath his fingertips, he felt her beautiful imperfections. The smudge of Angolan mud there. The fleck of Chinese shrapnel here. Paint chipped by Siberian hail. Each mark told a story only a few men had remembered. Only fewer could now tell it…

Closing his eyes, the sounds came back to him. The whine of the awakening engines. The humming of far-off anti-aircraft guns. The incessant warnings of Bitching Betty. The shouts of “Fox 3!” and “break!” The sounds of returning helicopters and the momentary surge of hope. The more he heard, the more he could see... Ventura looking out from that canopy and flashing him a thumbs-up before diving into the hellfire of Lhasa. The smoky lances of missiles sprinting from the Gripens. Man-made meteors criss-crossing the Angolan skies to end their journey in distant prinpricks of light. Watching the six take off into that grim northern sky. Watching only one come back.

Opening his eyes, he looked up at the small grey fighter. A sad smile spread across his face, tightening the corners of his scarred features. “She’s last one,” he murmured to himself. “The last one.”

Like the wild geese of past centuries, she’d wandered far from home. She’d found the wars of others. She’d done so much more than anyone had ever imagined possible. She’d gone up with her sisters. And only she had returned. The only one left to tell their story.

On the far edge of the nameless airstrip, the new arrivals stood in a boastful line, their new paint still drying. In a few minutes the ground crews would be here to drag her off to join them. She’d get new black boxes, new engines, and new eyes. They’d wash off the Angolan mud, pick out the Chinese shrapnel, and paint over the Siberian dents.

But they’d never be able to cover up what she’d done. Gripens are the Hired Goons. And she wouldn’t let them forget it.

A Hired Goon posted:

“This place smells like poo poo,” Bac muttered to himself.

Come to think of it, most hangars smell like poo poo. Spilled fuel, leaking hydraulics, and sweaty mechanics aren't a winning combination. Amongst all the industrial odors, Bac got a whiff of 100-proof. Sergei must be running that still again…

The crumbling concrete bunker reverberated with a hundred and one noises. One Russian mechanic was giving a start cart alternating rounds of physical and verbal abuse, to little effect. Someone knocked over a toolbox with a world-ending crash that echoed through the bunker. More profanity.

The dying light of the sun outside was replaced with the portable floodlights the ground crews had dragged into the bunker. Here are there, a flashlight flickered as crews made last-minute checks of landing gear and bombloads. With all the Gripens, Tornadoes, Reapers, and Nighthawks packed into the old Albanian bunker, there was barely enough room for the men and women swarming around them. Maintainers and ammo men bumped into each other. Shouted profanity.

A knot of grease-covered Italians muscled an engine into a largely-disassembled Tornado. Two pilots in pristine flight suits kibitzed nearby, unhelpfully asking “we gonna be ready soon?” Incomprehensible Italian flew their direction. Probably profanity.

Some baby-faced Albanian absent-mindedly pulled out a cigarette and a lighter. A second later, an enraged crew chief decked him with a punch and a stream of Glaswegian oaths.

“Another day at the office?” Fungus appeared at Bac’s side, with a grin and two mugs of coffee.

“You’re a goddamn lifesaver,” the bleary-eye Major grunted, taking the proffered cup. Caffeine made everything better, especially morning missions.

The two aviators sipped their coffee for a moment. This wasn’t their first cup of bad coffee at bad hours. Like most of the Hired Goons, they wore their careers on their flight suits. Both pilots had thousand-hour patches. Bac earned his over Nellis and Syria in the back hole of a Strike Eagle. Fungus had won his driving the tiny Saab 105. By now, both were patch-wearing members of the Martin-Baker Club. There’d been that sortie in Alaska...and now that dogfight in Angola. Bac still had nightmares about the Flanker that broke his Phantom’s back. He still ached from the ejection that had broken his. Fungus had joined the Club’s Angolan chapter on the same mission. It had taken Mbeki’s Rangers two days before they’d found him, still dangling from a tree in his shredded chute.

Downing the last of the coffee, Bac set the chipped cup on a toolbox. Grinning, he pulled a pair of crisp checklists from his thigh-pocket and handed one to Fungus. “Ready?”

Fungus grabbed the checklist and pulled a penlight from his pocket. “Let’s go.”

With their flashlights and experienced hands, the two aviators went through the familiar pre-flight motions. Kick the tires. “Tire pressure ok.” Shake the canards and ailerons. “Control surfaces ok.” Inspect the needlelike air-to-air missiles roosting on their hardpoints. They had over ten million dollars worth of missiles aboard tonight. And all it took was one bent fin and that $1.6 million Meteor would become a lawn dart. “Fangs sharp.”

Their walkaround complete, they clambered into the cockpit and started another set of checklists.

“Fuel Master?”

“On.”

“EPU switch?”

“Normal.”

A squat aircraft tractor driven trundled in front of the Gripen. The greasy-faced driver dismounted and hitched a town at to the Gripen’s front landing gear. Fungus and the driver exchanged a thumbs-up. A moment later, the Gripen was being towed out of the bunker and onto the taxiway. Job done, the harried driver unhooked the Gripen and sped back to the bunker to gather his next charge.

“Main power switch?”
“On.”

“Hydraulics and oil pressure.”
“Good...and good.”

“Ok, go for engine light.”

Fungus flicked a switch and eased the throttles forward slowly. The GE F414-400 slowly rumbled to life, putting out just a fraction of the 22,000 pounds of thrust it had to offer.

“Griff 1-1 to Gjader Departure, requesting clearance for Package Alpha taxi to Runway 2.”

The reply crackled in Bac’s helmet: “Departure to Griff 1-1, Package Alpha cleared.”

Fungus smiled and shoved the throttles further forward. “Showtime.”

And some other stuff I enjoyed.

Quinntan posted:

How's this for Hayard-Gunnes colours?

Yooper posted:

That's right. I'm Charles Bronson motherfuckers.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 20, 2019

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
The Finnish pilot known best as Ventura is not available for comment, claiming to an NDA with a government organization that officially doesn't exist.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Major "Bac" was a Strike Eagle backseater with a promising career in the Air Force. He'd just pinned on his oak leaves, done an exchange tour with the ROKAF, and was in line to attend the Fighter Weapons School at Nellis. All that ended in a horrific low-level accident at Red Flag Alaska that killed his pilot and left one leg shorter than the other. Medically discharged, he sunk into a downward spiral that only ended (some would say it continued) when he saw an ad in Playboy Presents: Aviation Week & Space Technology for the Hired Goons.

This is awesome, thanks Bac!

I'm touring the San Diego Naval Base in like an hour. Pumped to get HG moving again.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

4 Years Later

It all came crashing down in a pile of paperwork, denials, passport revocations and bank account lock downs. Goldman and the New York Teachers Unions backed out of their contracts so quickly that our meager legal team hardly had time to get us out of the country. Then the Hauge came knocking.

Except we were just the first, the biggest, the brightest... the most lucrative. But we reached too high, touched the poop, and fell like a hungover Icarus. The following year was an immense shitshow as every two bit organization lined up with whatever crap they could acquire. 3D printed plane factories popped up all over the place. What seemed like a novelty turned into chaos.

In the name of commerce and profits planes, SAM's, and radars flooded the market. Across the world, around the globe, triggers hung lightly. In the span of a week three commercial airliners came down. Then a 4th, on its way back to JFK from Mexico City. The world had enough.

On January 27th the US Government, in concert with what was NATO, struck. F-35's scoured the globe. Any modern SAM system that was not owned by a domestic government found itself the target of an SDB II barrage. Rafale's swung in with Gripen backup and knocked out any advanced fighters from the sky. The brutal professionalism that had been bleeding away was suddenly stopped and the governments air forces dug in. But not without cost as the waves of hostiles took its toll.

For one year it worked. But around the world a niche had been opened, a place for a particular sort of mercenary. Another election approached and little brush wars were warming up. So, in an intense flurry of lobbying, a full set of guidelines, hiring procedures, allowable technology, and rules of engagement were approved. The worlds governments had no stomach to be the police once again so instead they hired it out.

There are rules. They are black and white. The Investors now run the front of the business handling contracts, relations, and of course finance. We're in the kitchen making poo poo happen. Certain requirements must be followed. But, as with anything, certain rules may be bent...

1. No airframe may be owned by a PMC that was produced, modified, remanufactured, or procured after December 31st, 1994 unless authorized by the PMC Advisory Board.
  2. No airframe, ground vehicle, sub-surface, or surface unit shall fire ordnance that is BVR. (20nm)
  3. No ground radar may have been produced after Operation Desert Storm or it may only operate at 100nm or less of radar radius.
  4. It is illegal to procure ordnance that is BVR, however possession is not illegal.
  5. Any ordnance or equipment that is discovered during downtime inspections will be confiscated and destroyed.

3D Printing has created amazing opportunities but the downfalls are becoming rapidly apparent. Old plane technology coupled with race to the bottom pricing has created fleets of aircraft suitable for a single mission. Our maintenance crews are unable to service most of these airframes as they are simply too lovely to survive another round of potential high G maneuvers.

A range of missions will become available and we may choose the location. We can also decide to go elsewhere for the next round. Procurement will occur prior to the next mission round and may, or may not, include the same aircraft. Some big personalities (and bigger egos) have emerged in this world. Also of note, some of these missions are available to us as either side...

Management will handle the financial wranglings. Luckily we have a man inside, Herbert Kornfeld of Accounts Receivable. He has brought along his CPA "posse", Sir Casio KL7000, AirGoNomic, Kount Von NumbaKrunch and Petty Ka$h. Unfortunately this doesn't do much for our organization at this time but who knows what the future may hold.

So here's the nuts and bolts. We'll get rolling on the basics and get this shitshow back on the road. Airframes. Mission. Flight line. Recon. Etc. We'll take our sweet time. We'll start in CMANO and transition to CMO once it's released. We'll refresh the roster down the line, for now we'll focus on procurement.

Our amazing team of procurement specialists have reached out to a range of qualified suppliers. Klaus and Pedersen, the Ivanov Brothers, Broadstreet Ford, Lincoln, and Military and Wild Willies Plane Sales and Septic Field Services.

:capitalism: Choose One Supplier :capitalism:

Klaus and Pedersen

4 - F-4E Phantom II
4 - AJ37 Viggen
8 - SK60C "Dragon Slayers"
1 - SH3W Sea King AEW

Ivanov Brothers

4 - MIG-23MLD Flogger K
4 - SU-25T Frogfoot A
8 - SU-17M2 Fitter D
1 - KA-31 Helix AEW

Broadstreet Ford, Lincoln, and Military

6 - F/A-18C Hornet
6 - OV-10D Bronco
1 - RQ-1A Predator

Wild Willies Plane Sales and Septic Field Services

6 - J-7II Fishbed
4 - Cheetah D
4 - A-4SU Super Skyhawk
6 - Lightning F.6
1 - Shackleton AEW.2

Yooper fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 23, 2019

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Alright, time to get back in the saddle with - hang on, what the gently caress...?

I'm not sure whether I should be incredibly happy or absolutely goddamn livid to see those planes again, with that nickname.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

1. No airframe may be owned by a PMC that was produced, modified, remanufactured, or procured after December 31st, 1992.

CMANO-DB for the RQ-1A posted:

Commissioned: 1995

Does buying this immediately get us obliterated by F35s?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

Does buying this immediately get us obliterated by F35s?

That one is OK as it is an unarmed support asset.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
wild willies sounds fun.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So are these 3dp?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

Klaus and Pedersen

4 - F-4E Phantom II
4 - AJ37 Viggen
1 - SH3W Sea King AEW

I'll take the SH60s to get the F4Es and AJ37s.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Klaus, "Santa" Klaus

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Yooper posted:

A few of you have asked me to turn this into a novel. I'd like to do that. At the end of this post will be an interview with MR VC "Warmachine" about how Operation Goose went. The novel I'm going to write will be a retrospective set of interviews with the Hired Goons, opponents, staff, and characters. If you'd like, give me a short bio of your pilot or crew, at the least a "He (or she) served in the Air Force/Navy/Marines/British Navy and likes cake." I'll do what I can to work in your quirks.

Three years after Operation Goose and the fall of Hired Goons 1.0

Davin "Unicorn" Valkri. Hired Goon. One of the first.

A tall and slightly built man with a desperate smile, a love of Yuri on Ice, and no prior military experience. The last man on earth you'd expect to be a fighter pilot, never mind an operations planner. And yet he presided over some of the company's grandest successes...and its most tragic failures. We caught up with him after a therapy session--for privacy, the institution will not be named.

"I don't blame anyone for anything, really. Everything had to end sometime. We just presided over a few more fiery ends than most.

Everyone loves to talk about the flashy successes, the Golgothas and Catlike Treads. Every one of those was earned in blood--if not ours than our opponents', people who could have been Goons but for accidents of birth and recruitment. Did you know that at our end we had over one hundred pilots with no plane, still on the rolls, waiting for a chance to fly? That's how popular we were. We were a drat...brand! And every History Maker, every Ultima Weapon...every painful, agonizing failure...brought them that much closer to the front of the line. And they loved it! It was just 'turnover' for them! They wanted more death in the skies, theirs and ours.

I don't blame them for it. The world went mad a long time ago. All we can do is keep our own heads above water. But I'd still like to fly under that livery one day, to have people call me "Unicorn", though I could never fly in an actual air force.

Because despite everything, I'd like to believe we were one of the better ones."

There's only one option, really.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 23, 2019

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Yooper posted:

4 Years Later

1. No airframe may be owned by a PMC that was produced, modified, remanufactured, or procured after December 31st, 1992.
  2. No airframe, ground vehicle, sub-surface, or surface unit shall fire ordnance that is BVR. (20nm)
  3. No ground radar may have been produced after Operation Desert Storm or it may only operate at 100nm or less of radar radius.
  4. It is illegal to procure ordnance that is BVR, however possession is not illegal.
  5. Any ordnance or equipment that is discovered during downtime inspections will be confiscated and destroyed.

:capitalism: Choose One Supplier :capitalism:

Klaus and Pedersen

4 - F-4E Phantom II
4 - AJ37 Viggen
1 - SH3W Sea King AEW

Ivanov Brothers

4 - MIG-23MLD Flogger K
4 - SU-25T Frogfoot A
8 - SU-17M2 Fitter D
1 - KA-31 Helix AEW

Broadstreet Ford, Lincoln, and Military

6 - F/A-18C Hornet
6 - OV-10D Bronco
1 - RQ-1A Predator

Wild Willies Plane Sales and Septic Field Services

6 - J-7II Fishbed
4 - Cheetah D
4 - A-4SU Super Skyhawk
6 - Lightning F.6
1 - Shackleton AEW.2

So, just wanting to help out anyone having trouble deciding how to vote. If you're unsure which aircraft would be best, you can look at which weapons are legal/illegal on each one. 20 nm translates to 37 km, so anything with a range of <37km is usable. I'm leaning towards Ivanov or Wild Willies but haven't made my mind up yet.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
I can not in good conscience vote for anything that doesn't include Phantoms.

Klaus

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Given the weapon restrictions Wild Willie is actually really good and has my vote interesting. Those 6x Lightning F.6es have double the A2A range of any other option, it has an AEW (poor Broadstreet...), and it gives us 20 combat airframes which is more than any other option.

The shittiest option is, unfortunately, our old friends Klaus and Pedersen, because only having 8 A2A options in this world of heater dogfights will get us clowned on in any decently sized operation. Like, this Wild Willie force vs this K&P force the Wild Willie air force would go through K&P like uhhhh.... hot knife through butter is the wrong analogy but maybe like beans go through the digestive tract. Messily but the outcome is assured.

e: plus it's a god drat Avro Shackleton. It's WW2 vintage.
e2: On the other hand the best A2G option is probably Ivanov, with Wild Willie being mostly LGBs and dumb bombs. Once again Broadstreet comes up short, those F-18s being designed for BVR stuff. If you want to play with American A2G then K&P is your best bet with Viggens.
e3: Taking it back, the shittiest option is by far Broadstreet and Lincoln.

Voting for Ivanov

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 24, 2019

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

That one is OK as it is an unarmed support asset.

But there's others. The Phantoms are 93, the Frogfeet 94.

I should probably say that as someone who's long agitated for buying nothing but horrible garbage planes that are too awful to live, I love these restrictions. I am just confused at how they map onto these proposals.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

I can not in good conscience vote for anything that doesn't include Phantoms.

Klaus

Hello, friend.

Unfortunately Willies' has just too much incredible trash and my inner Aircraft Raccoon must vote Willies.

As the official description does not include any possessives I am interpreting the canon as that Wild Willies is in fact run by more than one Willy, all equally wild

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!

TheDemon posted:

Given the weapon restrictions Wild Willie is actually really good and has my vote. Those 6x Lightning F.6es have double the A2A range of any other option, it has an AEW (poor Broadstreet...), and it gives us 20 combat airframes which is more than any other option.

The shittiest option is, unfortunately, our old friends Klaus and Pedersen, because only having 8 A2A options in this world of heater dogfights will get us clowned on in any decently sized operation. Like, this Wild Willie force vs this K&P force the Wild Willie air force would go through K&P like uhhhh.... hot knife through butter is the wrong analogy but maybe like beans go through the digestive tract. Messily but the outcome is assured.

e: plus it's a god drat Avro Shackleton. It's WW2 vintage.

Came here to say this, those Lightnings have a huge A2A advantage over everything else here since everything else is restricted to basically Sidewinders. Plus I have a soft spot for the Shackleton. So voting Willies.

e: also the Migs and the Cheetahs have heaters so our A2A compliment would actually be decently sized.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If there's one thing I know, it's that Phantoms only exist to die as mook planes above Area 88.

The fact that someone described it as the aircraft raccoon's trash panda choice has me voting Willie

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Like, make no mistake, Wild Willie is a heap of trash. But everything here is marginal trash. Like, it's telling that Ivanov probably has one of the best offerings for actual aircraft, and the Viggen is the best strike aircraft in the entire 4 packages. Even those Broadstreet F-18s are reduced to trucking bombs.

EDIT:
Let's talk about the big problems each of these packages is going to face:

Klaus and Pedersen
The high-low mix here makes a quantity problem. Yeah, there are 16 planes, but as much of a legacy the SK-60s have, we got rid of them for a reason and they might be the worst plane on offer by anyone. That leaves you with 8 A2A planes, which are also your recon planes, and also your standoff strike planes.

Ivanov
Recon. You're relying on Ground Search Radar, pre-designated targets, and the MK1 Eyeball. The standoff strike capability here is second to none and the A2A is middling to decent but in order to use that strike capability you have to find your targets...

Broadstreet and Lincoln
Both A2G and AEW and plane quantity. Literally all you have are bombs and rockets. That said, your Hornets don't have a *bad* air radar, but we've seen how big a gamechanger even a mediocre AEW is. Also only 12 planes compared to 16 or 20 elsewhere. This is the deceptively bad option.

Wild Willie
Recon. There isn't a single sensor pod in the entire lot. Cheetahs have okay ground search radar, but the Shackleton doesn't have any. Either way ground search in this game is awful and unreliable. This group of aircraft will have a lot of trouble finding ground targets that aren't pre-identified or spotted the old-fashioned way, by eye.

Ivanov is the secret good option if only everyone ran out in the open with big crosshairs painted on them, Wild Willie is a meme version of Ivanov, K&P will be great until something goes wrong and then will very quickly fall to pieces, and B&L is dead on arrival. I could see us with anything but Broadstreet and Lincoln.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 23, 2019

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

you turn in a stolen nuke and it's NBD, but you do one warcrime and everyone loses their mind. We live in a society

Anyway, Klaus and Pendersen let the dagron slaiyers fly again

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Wild Willie, it gets the most goons in the air the quickest.

I'm sad I finally got a seat in an Intruder right at the end, hopefully this vote gets me into a Lightning ASAP!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wedge "Triggerhappy" Kree.

Some pilots were good. Some pilots were bad. Some pilots had yet to manage to take off without an etch a sketch. Wedge was more of the latter category. A national guard dropout (literally in one case having a 3d plane's cockpit fall out underneath after landing, THEN launch him by ejector seat after) had left him somewhat in need of gainful employment. A series of job interviews and a few desperate attempts at finishing air qualifiers later, he would wake up in some bar somewhere with a pilot's liscence given by some-chap named 'Launchpad' and not sure as to how the bar had managed to have a full freight plane crash through one end and out the other.

But! Texchnically allowed to fly (he had a liscence signed by a Disney Duck, no one could ever take that waay from him) now the major issue that Wedge has faced ni his attempts at combat flings is his shooting accuracy. namely that he is accurate at everything but shooting. Wedge has missed both the ground and the sky on separate missions in ways that almost violate the laws of thermodynamics. He has spent thousands of hours imn times in simulators, hundreds of hours flying so lon gas there is something to go up in the sky in, and thousands more hours on any sort of shooting gallery. He still can't shoot worth a drat.

He will shoot at a sound. He will shoot on command. He will shoot like some sort of 80's cartoon hero and blaze away and miss someone at a range of five feet. Only the desperate circumstances of the current market and the fact that Wedge.. is a semi decent pilot, actually obeys orders and tries /really/ hard on things has kept him from being too poor to actually afford alcohol in Tijuana.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Grumio signing up again.

I vote for Willie and because I've been flying a lot of WW2 era bombers lately in my flight simulators I request I be considered for piloting the Shackleton

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Putting in a vote for Willie.

How will I ever die horribly in fly an A-4 if we don't have any A-4s?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Wild Willie , let's fly the literal garbage planes.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm back in, but I don't have flavor text ready. That will be my pilots new call sign though, because the vitamin water sponsorship will have run out by now.

Another Otter
May 14, 2012
Wild Willie because it pleases me.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Ah hell yeah its happening!!!!!!

Gotta vote Wild Willie

Peanut is back and ready to ride in whatever ASW/Support plane you need!

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Mycroft Holmes will gladly sign up again, provided at some point we finally get a loving bomber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009
We're back! And know what, changing my vote to Klaus & Pedersen. :getin:

The pilot formerly known as Blueshift drifted for a while after the Hired Goons disbanded, briefly considering going back to either teaching physics or joining an ecoterrorist group before signing taking up a job as a bush pilot in his native Australia.
After an unfortunate accident involving an emu and a group of former mercenary contacts he was forced to flee the country and try his luck on the international mercenary scene again. Due to his physics background and his refusal to state where he is and not knowing where he's going he's now going by the callsign Schroedinger.

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 24, 2019