Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also her wife is still around in the cast so she's also canon gay married.

Oh and her horse is a cowboy pegasus ganglord in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Touhou owns and ZUN is definitely a thoughtful well-meaning dude is the overall point. It's also got the pretty typical overwhelming chud fandom problem which is really unfortunate.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Also her wife is still around in the cast so she's also canon gay married.

Oh and her horse is a cowboy pegasus ganglord in hell.

Also she made a set of noh masks as a gift to a friend who's now a god, and also those masks came to life as a tsukumogami.

Miko has her hands in a lot of pies.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a cool quote from zun about how he was eating at a restaurant with his wife once and he heard someone make a weird gay joke and told them "it doesn't matter whether you thought it was harmless, you shouldn't make a joke that degrades a group of people like that"

zun's a cool dude

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

He also did that to his co-hosts on an internet radio show.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

This makes me wanna play a touhou, thanks ZUN for being a good ally :unsmith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EightFlyingCars posted:

This makes me wanna play a touhou, thanks ZUN for being a good ally :unsmith:
same

i'm real bad at bullet hell though

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

same

i'm real bad at bullet hell though

You could try the official manga he writes. Forbidden Scrollery is particularly good/accessible (it's told from the perspective of a book seller who starts getting involved with the youkai and poo poo the plot is about so it does a good job of introducing the setting).

Or more appropriately for the Games forum, Touhou Lunar Nights is a p good fangame in the style of a Castlevania game. It's up on Steam with a full English localisation.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Name a genre and there is a touhou fan game in it, basically. Also yeah, Forbidden Scrollery is fun.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

Name a genre and there is a touhou fan game in it, basically. Also yeah, Forbidden Scrollery is fun.

Touhou grand strategy game

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Andrast posted:

Touhou grand strategy game

If mods count, there's one for Europa Universalis IV! And apparently one for Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

chumbler posted:

And if there isn't one already, ZUN gives you his blessing to create it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Touhou owns and ZUN is definitely a thoughtful well-meaning dude is the overall point. It's also got the pretty typical overwhelming chud fandom problem which is really unfortunate.
eh, i wouldn't really say that. there's a shitton of totally normal touhou fans and progressive touhou fans and whatever. it's just easy to hyperfocus on a few idiots when in reality I don't think they're overwhelming or make up the majority at all.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I might be too cynical about it and a large part of that is that between Touhou being real big compared to most other things in that sphere and me existing in the fandom for a long time as a queer person, it's easy to bump into shitheads. I definitely don't wanna discourage anyone from getting into it, or playing one of the many rpg fangames (like the Labyrinth of Touhou series which is similar to Etrian Odyssey).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
on the flipside of recent conversation, what are some of y'all's favorite uplifting rpgs?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Looper posted:

on the flipside of recent conversation, what are some of y'all's favorite uplifting rpgs?

Weird answer, but I actually found the end and dlcs of The Witcher 3 to be really uplifting. Blood and Wine especially is just comfort food as gently caress.

Also like

All the Atelier games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Looper posted:

Atelier Ayesha

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

eh, i wouldn't really say that. there's a shitton of totally normal touhou fans and progressive touhou fans and whatever. it's just easy to hyperfocus on a few idiots when in reality I don't think they're overwhelming or make up the majority at all.

Most of the people with MAGA momiji hat avs or w/e genuinely think shes some /pol/ OC and dont even know what touhou is.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rote answer but still correct: Undertale
The runup to the fight with Asgore sends chills up my spine. Enough so that I showed it to my therapist.
(Even though that's not exactly the uplifting part)
Going back to Jimmy for a second:
So yeah. I bought the game. Went a half hour in. Won't be continuing. Don't need to play a game that depressing and hopeless.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Most of the people with MAGA momiji hat avs or w/e genuinely think shes some /pol/ OC and dont even know what touhou is.
as always, the problem lies with secondaries

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

ChrisBTY posted:

Rote answer but still correct: Undertale
The runup to the fight with Asgore sends chills up my spine. Enough so that I showed it to my therapist.
(Even though that's not exactly the uplifting part)
Going back to Jimmy for a second:
So yeah. I bought the game. Went a half hour in. Won't be continuing. Don't need to play a game that depressing and hopeless.

So what did your therapist think about it?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Looper posted:

Stretching the definition, Dragon Quest Builders.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Looper posted:

touhou fangames

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

They're not RPGs, but the most chill, put a smile on my face games I've played are BokuMono/Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons. Some sad stuff happens in them on occasion (looking at you, HM64), but they're overall just....nice, happy, sunshiney games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Seconding Undertale and also Planescape, if you play as a heroic TNO that's good to his friends and you talk down the Transcendent One the ending feels cathartic as hell even if its ultimately bittersweet.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Clarste posted:

So what did your therapist think about it?

She seemed moved.
It was a discussion of what kind of music I like because I'm a little audio sensitive and find most music to be unwelcome noise.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Accordion Man posted:

Seconding Undertale and also Planescape, if you play as a heroic TNO that's good to his friends and you talk down the Transcendent One the ending feels cathartic as hell even if its ultimately bittersweet.

Talking down the Paranoid Incarnation is a really good feels moment

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

atelier ayesha
okage
wild arms 3
tales of graces f
zwei!!, zwei 2 and nayuta no kiseki
mega man legends
rune factory 3&4

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 23, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Where is rune factory 4 for switch nintendo

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Also not a jRPG but it was recommended to me here, Wandersong is a massive emotional trip, it gets all the sad and happy bits right without overdosing on drama or blank optimism.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ChrisBTY posted:

You tried it and that's what matters. Sorry you didn't like it.

Honestly, it didn't get inevitable (I wouldn't call it depressing, just inevitable) for me until 80% of the way through the game. The Pulsating Mass isn't really the story until the last 20%, it's more the interplay between the characters, who are mostly fantastic. Especially Mom.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Undertale is a given, but I also enjoyed Deltarune. In particular Susie's whole arc was pretty feel good. I am looking forward to chapter 2.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I've always liked Dark Cloud as a peaceful, happy kind of JRPG but I'm not sure if I'd call it uplifting so much as chill. The Nep games are usually cliche and happy go lucky enough to count, ditto Skies of Arcadia. Any given Atelier game.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Drakengard 3. :v:

A Sometimes Food posted:

You could try the official manga he writes. Forbidden Scrollery is particularly good/accessible (it's told from the perspective of a book seller who starts getting involved with the youkai and poo poo the plot is about so it does a good job of introducing the setting).

Or more appropriately for the Games forum, Touhou Lunar Nights is a p good fangame in the style of a Castlevania game. It's up on Steam with a full English localisation.

Lunar Nights is a bunch of fun. I like Touhou characters but am also not big into shmups. :hf:

Kokoro Wish posted:

Undertale is a given, but I also enjoyed Deltarune. In particular Susie's whole arc was pretty feel good. I am looking forward to chapter 2.

I dunno if Undertale is really an rpg except in the loosest form of the term.

Deltarune is neat but I kinda hope it keeps going with the moodier vibe it has even if it's still silly and generally positive.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 24, 2019

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
The good news is there is a ton more non-shmup Touhou content than shmup, so you can definitely pick your poison.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Elephant Parade posted:

as always, the problem lies with secondaries

People who latched onto "le smug anime girl=altright" are an extreme example, but yeah, kinda. Especially back in the day, people on the western 'net came up with all sorts of weird stereotypes around Japanese subculture stuff, which leads to both the sort of people who bought into and emulate the most extreme otaku caricatures, and people who think anything with girls in it is inherently suspect.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
on a nep adjacent note: Death End re;Quest has been kinda good so far. I really like the music.

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

The good news is there is a ton more non-shmup Touhou content than shmup, so you can definitely pick your poison.

Yeah, I was deep into touhou doujins when I was in high school. :v:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm reminded about how people got mad senator armstrong was the bad guy in rising, somehow.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 24, 2019

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Touhou is one of the biggest fandoms outside of mainstream stuff like Marvel. You're gonna get some shitheads.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Motto posted:

People who latched onto "le smug anime girl=altright" are an extreme example, but yeah, kinda. Especially back in the day, people on the western 'net came up with all sorts of weird stereotypes around Japanese subculture stuff, which leads to both the sort of people who bought into and emulate the most extreme otaku caricatures, and people who think anything with girls in it is inherently suspect.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but my post was 100% a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
nep