Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lotion Tester posted:

People that write forum posts and e-mails like this . . . is there a name for it . . . what makes people do it . . . how do they go their whole lives without noticing that it's not how people normally write . . . do they write everything like this or is it just when they use the Internet . . . how much does it cost to deworm a donkey . . . sometimes when you tell people that not using sentences or line breaks makes their posts hard to read they will deny writing this way even as they continue to do it in their reply . . .

my pet peeve for today is that amazon.com search results, even when sorted by customer review, feel way more broken and lovely now and I have a strong suspicion that that is by design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
how many gaming communities that i engage with that absolutely refuse to apply even basic rules/moderation regarding nazis/alt-right/etc.

like holy poo poo, in a private loving discord server for valve games people should not be calling me a kike human being

having such a passive attitude about toxicity is the reason gaming spaces are so loving hostile to anyone who isnt a straight white cis dude

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

if you've ever used "darwinism" to justify a lack of safety features for something, you deserve to face a firing squad

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
language prescriptivism

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Kanine posted:

how many gaming communities that i engage with that absolutely refuse to apply even basic rules/moderation regarding nazis/alt-right/etc.

like holy poo poo, in a private loving discord server for valve games people should not be calling me a kike human being

having such a passive attitude about toxicity is the reason gaming spaces are so loving hostile to anyone who isnt a straight white cis dude

I recently joined a goon guild for a browser game called Politics and War, and the first thing I saw on Discord was a bunch of people talking about their ongoing war crushing another alliance for spouting nazi rhetoric on the game's forums :unsmith:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Shibawanko posted:

Calling cats she is sexist towards humans because it associates grace and stuff with femininity

There’s no way to disprove that, have you ever seen a cat penis??

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Work is definitely a pet peeve of mine

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Christmas posted:

There’s no way to disprove that, have you ever seen a cat penis??

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Whenever a (non sci-fi/fantasy) TV show has an episode with a psychic they've always got to hedge their bets by leaving some ambiguity about whether they're a fraud or not. The protagonist can spend the whole episode saying "psychics are con artists who prey on the emotionally vulnerable" but then in the last two minutes there'll be some "but how could she have known that? Maybe psychics are real" bullshit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ulex minor posted:

you're not even thinking right - cats will be 'she' and dogs will be 'he' and all other animals will also be decided by what stories we tell about them and whether we think that's more masculine than feminine until we get to something like a sloth and there needs to be a grand council.

anyway if someone is angry you called their dog 'it' rather than 'she' or 'he' they're being precious and need to chill out. why would they care?

edit: i love my dog and i do not care at all if someone calls them 'he' or 'she' because...it is the most insignificant trivial thing to care about

We called them he/she before we called them it op

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I go entirely genderfuck on my cats

Call the females he, the males she, and myself uncle momma

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My third grade teacher gave me an F on a writing assignment for referring to my grandfather's dog as "he" instead of "it". A few years later she got killed by a horse.

Don't let this happen to you.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Lotion Tester posted:

My third grade teacher gave me an F on a writing assignment for referring to my grandfather's dog as "he" instead of "it". A few years later she got killed by a horse.

Don't let this happen to you.

*steps to the front of the class*

My essay is titled “Karma, Bitch”

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tiggum posted:

Whenever a (non sci-fi/fantasy) TV show has an episode with a psychic they've always got to hedge their bets by leaving some ambiguity about whether they're a fraud or not. The protagonist can spend the whole episode saying "psychics are con artists who prey on the emotionally vulnerable" but then in the last two minutes there'll be some "but how could she have known that? Maybe psychics are real" bullshit.

On a similar note, whenever a show has a will they wont they couple that finally gets together, inevitably they have a "my partner is soooooo predictable maybe I should torch my loving marriage because of it" episode, sometimes multiple, and it's always the most exhausting poo poo.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
cis people get pissy when you misgender their pets but then refuse to use your pronouns even though you're a human being, not an animal that has no concept of gender

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
americans think the democrats are left, and the republicans are right when the reality is more like the democrates are center-right and the republicans are far-right. the overton window is so skewed to the right that it's hilarious

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a significant number of goons who are so misanthropic they've all but admitted being pro-eugenics

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That's all true perhaps but nevertheless: don't misgender my pets god drat it.

Being beep boopy about animals is a really unattractive character trait. The world is a giant human rear end but at least it has dogs and cats and parrots and poo poo so if you can't even manage to love animals what kind of person are you??

Also: liking one animal but not another based on some stupid identity you've crafted for yourself. You don't get to be a "cat person", they are all God's creatures motherfucker you don't get to pick and choose. Yes tarantulas too.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Sep 23, 2019

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It's stupid as hell and nobody actually talks like that, but in school I was taught that it was grammatically wrong to call an animal something other than it. Everyone knew it made no sense, but that was what was in the book so that was what we had to do. The ESL books probably resulted from them consulting English teachers instead of English speakers.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lotion Tester posted:

It's stupid as hell and nobody actually talks like that, but in school I was taught that it was grammatically wrong to call an animal something other than it. Everyone knew it made no sense, but that was what was in the book so that was what we had to do. The ESL books probably resulted from them consulting English teachers instead of English speakers.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they tried to teach it to me like that too. I think it's probably a holdover from old times when "animal" generally meant something like "livestock" or "farm cat" or something like that rather than pet, and it was an easy rule to teach so it stuck.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shibawanko posted:

That's all true perhaps but nevertheless: don't misgender my pets god drat it.

Being beep boopy about animals is a really unattractive character trait. The world is a giant human rear end but at least it has dogs and cats and parrots and poo poo so if you can't even manage to love animals what kind of person are you??

Also: liking one animal but not another based on some stupid identity you've crafted for yourself. You don't get to be a "cat person", they are all God's creatures motherfucker you don't get to pick and choose. Yes tarantulas too.

Too bad god doesn't exist and I can call myself a cat person all day long because dogs are monsters :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

It is entirely possible to love dogs but also not give a single poo poo about the names or pronouns some human has decided belong to them. Your dog doesn't care if I know its name and neither should you.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
i don't like it when people misgender me (this happens a lot because, get this: i'm not cis, can you believe it) and i would be annoyed as poo poo if somebody kept misgendering my pet after i corrected them, too, because, like, if i tell you to use a loving pronoun, use the loving pronoun, rear end in a top hat

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
the point i was making is that its incredibly dehumanizing when people care more about animal pronouns than trans peoples pronouns, its a pet peeve of mine you see

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

Kanine posted:

the point i was making is that its incredibly dehumanizing when people care more about animal pronouns than trans peoples pronouns, its a pet peeve of mine you see

that point is extremely true and fair!

if tiggum ever calls me OR my cat an "it" i'll light him on loving fire though

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The mistake is clicking on the posts in the first place.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

people keep quoting them :C

[E: "keep" on an existential level; i see more lovely posts across SA than i would in an ideal world, due to people quoting -- not too much quoting at this exact second in this thread]

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm still not 100% on whether we're complaining about pets being misgendered or calling pets "it" cuz the second makes you literally sounds like a crazy person, especially if the owner is like "no he's a he"

and that's what every owner does. no one is going to go ~sjw~ on your rear end if you default all dogs to one gender until told otherwise but defaulting to calling them "it" makes you sound like a literal murderer, especially in a world where english almost always calls pet animals they, he, or she, and where literal actual people are still called "it" to dehumanize them.

no one cares if you mistake what gender a dog is.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Sep 23, 2019

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

i get no-poo poo triggered over using "it" like in general even when I know better and that it is a stupid thing ot be bothered by at all, because it just. loving. "no you don't meet my standards for counting as worthy of respect as a living being, gently caress off, you Object" and yes, i have mental health problems and that's why my brain draws connections between doing it to an animal and doing it to me personally but i just can't loving stand it v(._.)v

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Kanine posted:

cis people get pissy when you misgender their pets but then refuse to use your pronouns even though you're a human being, not an animal that has no concept of gender

People who make generalizations that you can't refute lest you be called "fragile."

Of course I'm fragile; I'm a human being.

Also, triple-posters.

These are some more of my peeves.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I hate how often I end up going along with what other people want just because I'm not as emotionally invested in my preferences as the people around me. I get along really well with my partner, but every time we move it's

"Hey, Riatsala, where should we store the tupperware?"

"I was thinking the cabinet by the fridge"

"Well, I think that this cabinet by the sink would be better because its lower and deeper so you can store a lot of tupperware there if we get more and also it saves the cabinets that are closer to arm height for heavier dishware like glass baking pans and also in my household where I was the only child and did everything right by default *we* always kept the tupperware by the sink and really if you think about it-"

and by this point I'm ready to blow my loving brains out and I concede the point because I want the conversation to end 1000x more than I want the tupperware to be by the loving fridge

Every moving day is just this debate dozens of times over paired with the dread-inducing realization that I just signed another lease with this woman (whom I love, mind you)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
What's the peeve? Not getting upset over being overruled on trivialities isn't a negative thing.

If it were me my peeve would be even being asked if they already had a super strong opinion on how they wanted it. Just do it and tell me where it is. As long as I know where it is it doesn't really matter.

In summary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vvWlZUYVOM

I can appreciate wanting to come to an agreement, but if it's something I care nothing about, my reaction is always going to be Jerry's at 0:37. Just do it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

"Why did you loving ask then, you loving bellend?"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
my peeve is Jerry Seinfeld.

Not the show, necessarily, just the dude.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not the show, just the dude.

agreed, george is the socially adjusted/stable one.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not the show, necessarily, just the dude.

seinfeld is an amazing show where a lot of the people involved with it are really disappointing people

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My pet peeve is when you go to the internet for advice on how to do something, instead of helping you do that thing, you get people telling you its a bad idea in the first place or to do it in a completely different way, you don't want to even do X, etc. gently caress you, help me on how to do the thing I want or STFU. Even if its something most fail at like getting abs in 6 months. I want people to tell me how that is done, not every reason in existence to not go for it.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i know a guy who i went to college who barely interacted with me, but now he's suddenly interested in being my friend and its very transparent that hes doing it because he sees me as a career stepping stone and doesnt actually want to be my friend. like id be totally fine if he was like "i see things are going well for you, is it cool if we stay in touch regarding career topics since you seem like someone who could be good to work/share notes with?" he doesnt need to ingratiate himself with me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Steam seems to have just updated its "library" page by removing the other two view options (large text, and icons only). Now everyone is forced to use the one where your games list is crammed into one edge of the screen and the main thing you see is a bunch of useless garbage I don't give a poo poo about - the only option I never used and have always hated.

Also, all my games have been removed from the categories they were in and dumped into a single "uncategorised" list. I'm assuming that part was unintentional but who could possibly say.

Edit: Also, my list is now full of dedicated servers for games I don't even have. :psyduck:

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 04:44 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who list things on craigslist or FB marketplace as "$1" then put multiple, multi-hundred dollar listings on the inside.

Dick, I ain't clicking on your ad because I want to see your cool expensive stuff, I clicked because I was like hey, how is a nice electric guitar one dollar? OH IT ISN'T