Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Dear Reddit, am I (22M) the rear end in a top hat?

Complete rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

ad090 posted:

The dad openly admitted to giving his family the silent treatment, because they wouldn't confide in him.

quote:

I haven’t been fully ignoring them but I’ve been acting kinda distant since yesterday.

See now, he's just partially ignoring them

After re-reading the post eeeh, I dunno could go either way we are just seeing a couple paragraphs from a single persons point of view

Seems a little silly to jump to conclusions in retrospect. Like, by going through and reading this thread I am getting invested in unsolvable problems and dramas that aren't mine, exchanging jabs with others with just as little info as I...

why... why..

why even post? :negative:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Willfrey posted:

See now, he's just partially ignoring them

After re-reading the post eeeh, I dunno could go either way we are just seeing a couple paragraphs from a single persons point of view

Seems a little silly to jump to conclusions in retrospect. Like, by going through and reading this thread I am getting invested in unsolvable problems and dramas that aren't mine, exchanging jabs with others with just as little info as I...

why... why..

why even post? :negative:

This is the bane of the mod queue...

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Willfrey posted:

Lol 15 years old? Did he kill a guy? What deep dark secret could he have. She'd rather have an arguement wither her husband than clarify the supposedly inconsequential reason his son is sad?
Lol 15 years old? Did he kill a guy? What deep dark secret could he have. He'd rather have an arguement with his wife than respect his son's privacy?

That's flipside. So if we accept this matter is some stupid 15 year old thing that is really important to the son but probably not a big deal, what's more important? That dad know some thing that his son doesn't want to share with him, or that mom respects the son's wishes even if it makes a grown man sad at the realization that for whatever reason his kid doesn't trust him with the info?

It's true we don't have enough info to know if the reason for secrecy is really dad's fault or just the whim of a teenager, but it doesn't really change anything.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently a bunch of lovely idiots piled into the thread where the 15-year-old didn't want to talk to his dad to call the wife a bad mom for not telling her husband every detail about everything and to yell about the "hivemind".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

One of the advantages of having a spouse/partner is complete honesty. In those circumstances, the wife should probably tell the dad what's up, and he just pretends he doesn't know around the son.

Though if he's enough of a dipshit that the son doesn't want to tell him and the wife is on the son's side, who knows. They certainly have more history to judge from.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 23, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"I don't want to tell you because it's not something you need to know and I want to keep our son's trust" is also honest.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Nah - 15 is old enough to have your own secrets and issues, and to be mature enough to decide which adults you share personal information with and which you don't. We expect kids to drive one year later, and they're able to vote, smoke, and go to war 3 years after that. If you're willing to send them to die in a few short years, you should be willing to let them choose who they confide in.

If the kid didn't want to talk to Dad, there's a reason for it. Given how much Dad is flipping out just having A SECRET kept from him, there's probably a reason.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Nah - 15 is old enough to have your own secrets and issues, and to be mature enough to decide which adults you share personal information with and which you don't. We expect kids to drive one year later, and they're able to vote, smoke, and go to war 3 years after that. If you're willing to send them to die in a few short years, you should be willing to let them choose who they confide in.

Don't know if age has anything to do with it, I share things other adults have told me in confidence with my partner, and vice versa. Always with the preface that the information doesn't go any further.

If the kid didn't want to talk to Dad, there's a reason for it. Given how much Dad is flipping out just having A SECRET kept from him, there's probably a reason.

This, on the other hand, along with the general tone of the post, doesn't inspire much confidence he could deal with whatever information it is reasonably (that is, not letting on that he knows if it's not life or death).

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Dear Reddit, am I (22M) the rear end in a top hat?

In retaliation to being uninvited from the party, I (22M) called my family member (24M) “not thicc in the slightest,” and that he (24M) should “delete his (24M) Instagram account as his (24M) posts were mediocre at best”.

Lmfao

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I (22M) think this is entirely uncalled for. After talking to (34F, not 37F), they (34F, 37F) both agreed that this was crazy so they put me (22M) into contact with their (5F) and their (5F)’s friend (6F) for assistance with the whole ordeal.

Did he get 3 small children for lawyers? Were they stacked on top of eachother in a trenchcoat??

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Xun posted:

Did he get 3 small children for lawyers? Were they stacked on top of eachother in a trenchcoat??

Don't you know stacking children also stacks their age and wisdom? 21 is a bit young for a lawyer but the combined experience of 3 lives should make up for that.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (34/f) husband (37/m) pesters me about sex all day. How do I tell him that he’s annoying me and he needs to ease up?

Spray him with a squirt bottle.

Taze him.

I was going to go with shock him, like a tiny jolt, but just imagining waking up to that and it continuing on while trying to get kids ready in the morning, after being told "no" repeatedly, gave me a case of sympathetic annoyance and disgust.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, what if son is questioning his sexuality and the father is a bigot, for example. Be glad that the son is talking to someone, and improve yourself so they get comfortable talking to you.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Bored posted:

Taze him.

I was going to go with shock him, like a tiny jolt, but just imagining waking up to that and it continuing on while trying to get kids ready in the morning, after being told "no" repeatedly, gave me a case of sympathetic annoyance and disgust.

Just give him a, "Message received, Cap'n Shirtstretcher. We'll be fuckin' by 8 bells if ye cease distressin' the elastic of me pantaloons whilst I square away the shore party. I swear on yer mother, I've fashioned me last jib from a too soon scuttled pair of Hanes Her Way."

(this is 8oz of rye on an empty stomach and sleep deprivation posting, but I wrote this poo poo, goddamnit, and I'm clicking submit. No Preview!)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Incredibly this.

And geez goons, any time you're about to be told something in confidence, and you have a significant other that you always share info with, let the person with the secret know that it will be shared BEFORE they tell you said secret. Kinda lovely to be like "Oh yeah I won't tell a soul!" then rolling over and telling your spouse. You're allowed to keep secrets from your spouses and whatnot, it's not some terrible sin.

Also an electric fence that can kill a cat is likely illegal and probably just plugged into a wall. I lived on a beefalo farm with an electric cattle fence, and while it as painful as hell it wouldn't kill a cat.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA because I babysat for a Reds fan and taught his kid "Go Cubs Go"

quote:

One of my best friends is an avid Reds fan (American baseball). They asked my wife and I to babysit their 2 year old. He is in the stage where he latches on to songs and begs the video to be played over and over. We thought it would be funny to teach him Go Cubs Go (team song for their big rival). Now he loves it and keeps asking them to play it and keeps singing it. Am I an rear end in a top hat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Something plugged into the wall shouldn’t be able to kill a cat.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
nankeen, check your email

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

MarcusSA posted:

ever plugged a fork into a socket?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

What's the point of their being more than one team if you can't do stuff like this. NTA ! <gavel>

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Internal resistance of a human is only like 500 ohms. That's 240 mA through you off a 120V wall socket. It only takes like 50-100 mA to stop your heart, I'm assuming a cat would be similar

e: okay heart stopping is higher amp's but 100mA can def stop your breathing and cause arrhythmia, and if the current causes your flexors to lock on the open circuit for a few seconds you could definitely die. Electricity is not to be hosed with, even "low" voltages

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 24, 2019

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Don't know if age has anything to do with it, I share things other adults have told me in confidence with my partner, and vice versa. Always with the preface that the information doesn't go any further.

The people who told you things in confidence presumably also prefaced that the information doesn't go any further. Yet there you are, letting the information go further and breaching their confidentiality.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

let me point you to a little movie called christmas vacation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJW3Jpqjx5s

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

completely an rear end in a top hat, but in an exquisite, highly funny, and nearly consequence-free way. a masterwork of assholishness

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Internal resistance of a human is only like 500 ohms. That's 240 mA through you off a 120V wall socket. It only takes like 50-100 mA to stop your heart, I'm assuming a cat would be similar

e: okay heart stopping is higher amp's but 100mA can def stop your breathing and cause arrhythmia, and if the current causes your flexors to lock on the open circuit for a few seconds you could definitely die. Electricity is not to be hosed with, even "low" voltages

Yeah I’m no electrical engineer/electrician but my understanding is that low voltage workers on average have a decent amount more injuries and deaths because people don’t take safety measures as seriously. You tell someone this poo poo you’re working on has 1.21 gigawatts they probably are gonna be more careful than somebody running phone cable.

Myself included I’ve snipped some cables that we didn’t want to bring somebody out to get properly removed and then accidentally brush the unshielded part of the cables to a nice shock because I’m a dumbass IT guy.

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 24, 2019

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for cancelling my leaving meal due to low attendance, only to find it was a ruse to surprise me with high attendance, cancelled anyway

quote:

I left my job last week and it came up on conversation that I wasn’t planning a leaving do due to already coming to terms with the fact the staff are super flaky and never go to planned events.

This disappointed two women I work with who encouraged me to host something but keep it small and only invite a select group, they got my hopes up so I agreed, set a date and a Facebook event up and invited around 15 people and told most in person (not all had Facebook) to mostly positive responses.

Couple weeks roll by and I’ve had only one accept on Facebook and only the two women confirm in person so I begin chasing people up and the declines start rolling in for mostly legitimate but disappointing reasons, one decline from someone who had accepted the FB invite which was a gut punch. I decide to open the invites to a wider range and a week before the meal I still have no responses and on the Monday have a mini argument with the girls because one of them now pulls out due to having to watch her kids.

Word travels I’m considering cancelling and on the Wednesday I finally do make it official that it won’t be happening (though realistically I knew on Monday as that’s when I planned to book a table). Came in on the Thursday to a lot of people shocked to hear it was cancelled where I promptly called them out for either not responding to FB or not confirming in person if they could come.

Turns out the two women had planned a ruse to convince me only a few people were coming, then surprise me with super high attendance (close to 30s apparently) on the night.

I straight up told them it was a lovely plan, made me feel lovely, it wouldn’t have worked because no one booked a table and I’m committing to the cancel. I did something else on Friday with some close friends, mini golf, I won.

A lot of people spent my last two days thinking I was the rear end in a top hat for overreacting and ruining my potential surprise, so reddit, AITA?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA for arguing with my wife over her preferring to sleep with a body pillow over me?

quote:

So my wife gave birth 8 months ago. During he pregnancy she was having trouble sleeping so I bought her a pregnancy body pillow that was a lot more comfortable for her. However even after giving birth she prefers sleeping with the body pillow rather than me. She just says she's used to it and finds it more comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'm being just being dramatic but it feels like she just doesn't want to sleep with me. I'm often sleeping near the edge of the bed using a separate blanket and I just feel a lot more lonely.

I brought all this up with her and she told me that I'm "being more of a baby than our new born" with all this and to just deal with it. This led to a big fight where we were both yelling at each other. I don't think either of us said anything particularly hurtful but it's not the norm in our relationship to raise our voices like we did and argue for as long as we did.

Outside of this our relationship is more or less fine. I mean I obviously still love her and I'm sure she still loves me.

Basically AITA for starting an argument over something like this?

This is the pillow I bought (removed link since people think I'm trying to sell the pillows lol)-

https://imgur.com/a/fGeD2N0

e: Some people seem to think that I'm jealous of the pillow. This isn't the case. I don't think she loves a pillow more than me. I just would prefer we sleep together and not with a pillow between us.

e2: I didn't think this was relevant but just so you guys know we have a nanny that takes care of the child from Sunday - Thursday. We both take turns on Friday and Saturday nights when we have to so it's not like I'm expecting her to do everything.

Also I am not asking her to cuddle with me all night or let me spoon her or vice versa. I just would like it if there wasn't a pillow between us.

e3: https://imgur.com/a/NXq3PC4 - blue is the pillow

Not the body pillow story i was expecting

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Is that an ESL person or just someone that writes really strangely?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for calling out my father's other woman in front of her son and class?

quote:

I (17F) caught my father cheating on my mother a few months ago. He left his iPad in the living room and it kept dinging. I went to turn it off because it was irritating, and saw tons of messages from a very familiar name, all extremely romantic in nature. Who is this person, you may ask? She's a math teacher at my school, Ms. L. My father works in the IT department for my school district, and as far as I had been aware they were just friendly coworkers. Clearly I was wrong.

I didn't waste time telling my mom. To be entirely honest it was partly out of spite due to how emotionally abusive my father is. My parents separated, he moved out to live with her. They're planning to get a divorce after my mother renews her American residency, she isn't a citizen and being married to one just makes it easier. This all happened in May and I've had almost zero contact with my father since then. I obviously also had no contact with Ms. L.

Well that is until I mysteriously got placed into her math class. This makes no sense considering I should be in Trig/Algebra 2 and instead was placed into her Pre-Cal class. Part of my father's job is organizing student's classes, so I believe he put me in her class intentionally and on her request.

As soon as the school year started, it became clear she was trying to earn brownie points. She was always especially nice to me, always offered me any help, always gave me weird out of place compliments. Stuff like "Did you do something new with your hair? It looks great!" when I didn't even properly brush it that morning. It annoyed me but I just let it go because I didn't want to cause any trouble, especially because her son is in the same class. Until today, I just snapped.

At the beginning of class we're supposed to walk up to her desk and give her finished homework. When I did this, she gave me some dumb little compliment. I just told her to stop. Ms. L looked confused and ask what I meant. I don't remember exactly what I said word for word, something like this: "Stop trying to win me over. You knew my dad was married and still got with him. You're nothing but the other woman to me. Honestly, you did us a favor, you can have him, but stop acting all buddy-buddy because I will never like you."

I wasn't loud or anything, but there were people around me who heard it. Of course because it's high school, everyone who heard started whispering to everyone else and soon enough my entire class knew. I personally don't care if people know, but I know it'll ruin her reputation with students. The only person who seemed more shocked than Ms. L was her son, who refused to look at her through the rest of the awkward class period. I don't think he knew that his mom's new boyfriend is a married man.

I kinda feel bad for her son, but to be honest I think she deserved to have people find out, even though that wasn't really my intention when I said it. AITA here?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for cancelling my leaving meal due to low attendance, only to find it was a ruse to surprise me with high attendance, cancelled anyway

Haha ok what are the odds that no one actually wanted to go and then, feeling bad at the last minute, they made some poo poo up

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ad090 posted:

Amazing self-own. Why the hell would you put your daughter in your mistress’ class when she was the one who burned down your marriage in the first place?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

ad090 posted:

The one thing I do miss about being a teen is being able to be Arctic cold without the social wherewithal to not do that. That woman walked right into a lethal trap.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gotta love the plan which avoids public humiliation based on the level of tact and restraint that a pissed off teenager can muster

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My (26M) wife (26F) doesn't allow meat in her house due to religious reasons

quote:

So we have known each other since we were 20 and everything about us has been great. We decided to get some financial and career stability and then marry. To save money we both lived in our respective parent's households until we marry. We recently got married and my wife, since she comes from an affluent family, was gifted a house to her by her parents as a wedding gift. (Keep in mind her parents do not approve of me but they still followed through with the wedding gift). We are both Hindus, however I come from a linient Hindu family where we eat meat, and she comes from a very strict and religious Hindu family where they are all vegetarian. (We're in Canada and this was love marriage not arranged btw). After marriage we move into the house that was given to her (this is our first time living together) and so problems arise. I like to eat meat, I've been eating it my whole life, but she is very strict about it and forbids meat from coming in the house. Reasons being "it's my house I can make the rules" and "I've never touched or been near meat and never will be". Now I don't know how to feel about this, because technically yeah it's her house she was gifted it, but I also feel like I'm being restricted, because I like to cook food, and so every time I want to enjoy meat now I'm forced to buy from outside and eat outside or in the car. I can't even have my parents come over to cook for them any meat. I don't think I should be restricted like this considering we are literally married but somehow it reminiscent of living with my parents again. Should I stand up and bring meat and force her to accept my dietary habits? Should I adjust to her beliefs and avoid meat in the house? How can we come to a compromise?

Now you may be thinking, you're entering a marriage how did you not think of this beforehand? Well here's the thing,

We always had no problem eating our own foods or ordering our own items at a restaurant, and I had never anticipated her to be this strict about it, which is why we've never really discussed the topic of it being in the house. It's partly due to my assumptions that it would be like my parents. My mom and grandma is vegetarian and my dad is not, but they both are willing to handle and cook meat despite not eating it. Its been this way my whole life, which is why I'm shocked that my wife has a different view of it than my expectations. The thought of it never crossed my mind because I have never heard of a situation like this happening before

tl;dr wife is vegetarian, I am not. Wife has stricter rules on meat than I anticipated, because I was used to the way my parents do things

quote:

We literally moved in a day ago, and the issue came up when we went to get groceries. She has been around meat alot, like when we're eating together or when she's come over to my parents house and I ate meat, so this came as a shock to me. She's cooked at my house before and we've eaten together many times, but it was always Vegetarian food and I had respected that. Now that I want to be able to cook my own food in her house this starts becoming an issue

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

teen witch posted:

The one thing I do miss about being a teen is being able to be Arctic cold without the social wherewithal to not do that. That woman walked right into a lethal trap.

teens have the best burns because when you’re that age and mad you just don’t care what consequences there could be for you or the other person so you just let fly

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

"I don't like surprises" is up there with "I have a food allergy" on the lists of things people will steadfastly refuse to believe no matter how many times they are told.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

My (26M) wife (26F) doesn't allow meat in her house due to religious reasons

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for arguing with my wife over her preferring to sleep with a body pillow over me?
Not the body pillow story i was expecting

I was so convinced this story was going somewhere else I opened those imgur links in a private tab.

Pillow looks comfortable as gently caress though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I've been thinking about Timothy a lot. Might be time to re-post this one:

I'm [F34] pregnant and struggling with my husband's [M35] lack of support regarding my in-laws behaviour. How can I improve the situation?

quote:

Sorry for the length, I've explained this on r/AITA but since the common opinion is that I'm not at fault, I was told to look for advice elsewhere.

SOME INFO: I've been happily married for 10 years now. I'm still very much in love and he's my best friend and we normally never argue! I'm not even sure if this was an argument but it left me feeling lonely, unsupported and isolated from his side of the family.

The relationship with his parents has been strained. They own a number of mouse figurines; they are made from different materials and one is a giant papier-maché one called Timothy. Each of them has a whole character profile with backstories, personal preferences, family relations etc. and all of them are seen as part of the family (Timothy even as my in-laws’ grandchild).

What unsettles me, is that they constantly talk as them with other mice or each other/guests. They’ll use a high-pitched tone and they’ll talk in a manner that little children would use. For instance, my husband’s father will squeakingly say “My tummy hurts, I am hungry!” while wiggling a mouse plushie in my face. I’m then expected to answer the mouse and get it, not him, something to eat. They do this constantly. In fact, most of the time, the mice are talking, not them.

Til now, I’ve never said anything judgy but I usually avoid talking to the mice and instead address the person talking. I’ve never talked as a mouse. His parents have noticed this and have often tried forcing me into it. They are visibly upset that I won’t participate and have “gifted me” mice figurines on several occasions that I haven't used. I understand that it’s probably them welcoming me into the family but I’m just too creeped out by it. When they visit us, they force me to get them out of the closet and display them and I feel invaded by that. (At the same time, I feel silly about feeling invaded by inanimate objects.)

Today, it escalated when we announced that I am pregnant and my father-in-law replied that it would be wonderful “to soon have two grandchildren” (by the first, he meant Timothy). For the first time, I got angry and said that he didn’t have a grandchild yet and that my child wasn’t comparable to a papier-maché mouse. They got very angry and I got screamed at as Timothy for disrespecting him. He called me stupid.

This is the conflict I need advice for:

Instead of supporting me, my husband stayed silent the whole time and later told me that many people's stuffed animals talk and that he can’t understand how I am so tolerant in everything but this. I was crying at this point but he didn't comfort me which is very unlike him and how I know that he is truly upset as well.

I've been very sad as I'm a family-oriented person and I've always regretted that I don't feel included in his side of the family. His parents have always acted cold towards me although I've made an effort to take a genuine interest in their lives and to build a bond with them. After my outburst, it’s obviously even worse. I feel lonely and unsure and I don’t know how to act anymore or how to make him understand that I need him to do something! I don't even know what I want him to do exactly. I'm scared that he will reject me for being "difficult" and putting him in an uncomfortable position but at the same time I feel like I can't stand this anymore. I'm scared that they'll do this to our child or make them feel unloved.

So, I'm looking for advice on how to deal with this situation.

Should I press the issue or accept the situation and try to avoid them? How should I deal with this once our child is born?

TL;dr My in-laws communicate as and via mouse figurines who they see as family members. I don’t want to participate and told them my child would be different from and more important than a mouse grandchild. They got really angry and, instead of supporting me, my husband thinks I should be more tolerant.