Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean just do another animated series

We’re already getting some horrible Rick & Morty rip-off, what further curses would you wish upon us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

i mean just do another animated series
The problem is that animation is still not really seen as a medium, it's seen as a genre in its own right. TAS is actually one of the few things I can think of where you had a property that moved from live-action to animation and didn't also change substantially along the way.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeeves posted:

Yeah but some coked up producer who has no idea what the series is would be like BUDGET NEEDS TO BE IN POINTLESS SPACE SHIP BATTLES or WHAT IF WE TOOK THAT IDEA AND MADE IT KLINGONS INSTEAD!!!!
We want a klangons and a borgs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, good Lord.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We’re already getting some horrible Rick & Morty rip-off, what further curses would you wish upon us?

You know basically nothing about it

lol @ you

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Why does Khan have big ol' tits?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bloop posted:

You know basically nothing about it

lol @ you

It’s literally being showrun by a R&M writer and the character designs shown are essentially “R&M, but the pupils aren’t asterisks and they have normal mouths”.

But yeah, no, I’m sure these weren’t conscious choices on Kurtzman/CBS’s part to try and replicate some of that R&M success. Pure coincidence.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

Why does Khan have big ol' tits?

Have you seen the movie in question?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Squanchy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I give utterly zero shits about Rick and Morty and I think the art style looks clean and good for Starfleet

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Is there any similar material for land based exploration?

Nonfiction, The Jungle Is Neutral. Three years behind enemy lines in Malaysia. F. Spencer Chapman is a Person's person. Tough, sensitive, skilled, humble. And really loving lucky to survive three years on the ground with resistance forces, bandits, and simply alone in the jungle. Let alone the Japanese.

e.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TAS fuckin’ owns, man.

That's a legitimately good episode of Star Trek.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 24, 2019

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TAS is good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The listing for that communicator badge led me to this drone:

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Hogs-Ent...79CYA0VTSRFQNXV

For $34 bucks it's mighty tempting.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Don't do it Air Hogs is a poo poo brand and it will fly sideways into a wall until it breaks

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Those tiny, tiny hands.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pick posted:

TAS is good.

It’s

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Rick and Morty is a great show.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
Rick and Morty people making Trek stuff sounds like a clear improvement over anything (minus that one prime directive episode--that was the tits) STD has done with the franchise. I'm on board.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wish those cartoons didn't have such smugface though. Looks like a 2d version of DreamWorks face

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Being a Brit, that was the first time I ever heard (saw) the word 'jerk' used as an insult.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I've never watched Rick and Morty but that TNG season 8 twitter account the show runner did was very good and funny so I'm willing to give Lower Decks a chance.

https://twitter.com/TNG_S8/status/574626763835211776?s=20

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Payndz posted:

Being a Brit, that was the first time I ever heard (saw) the word 'jerk' used as an insult.

Does jerk mean anything other than "sudden movement" over there?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I wish those cartoons didn't have such smugface though. Looks like a 2d version of DreamWorks face

It's like they want to animate "confidence" but they always animate "smug". The designs of the characters that don't look smug are all right, though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Does jerk mean anything other than "sudden movement" over there?

:fap:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

It's like they want to animate "confidence" but they always animate "smug". The designs of the characters that don't look smug are all right, though.

Smuggo looks to be the XO so maybe that's exactly what they're going for. We are supposed to identify with the ensigns (and possibly noncoms?????) in this series

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

grumpy, smug, smug, grumpy

millennial snowflake, millennial snowflake, smug, loser dweeb

yeah I've got nothing to work with here

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the main characters are the four in the second image and their expressions are less DreamWorks.

It's not great and it still looks a little too much like the art you see in an f2p mobile game, but it's way better than the initial designs that were floating around a while ago.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 24, 2019

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

grumpy, smug, smug, grumpy

millennial snowflake, millennial snowflake, smug, loser dweeb

yeah I've got nothing to work with here

Is this a joke I'm not getting or are you really the sort of person to unironically whine about 'millennial snowflakes'

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Hence why I asked.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just an idea, but let's wait for it to come out before we hate it, maybe?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

marktheando posted:

Is this a joke I'm not getting or are you really the sort of person to unironically whine about 'millennial snowflakes'

I couldn't really categorize them lol, actually I probably do identify with grumpy when you think about it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

we live in a post-Nemesis world, i can't really curse you any harder than what has already happened in the past.

besides it could have been worse. it could have looked like that CGI Clone Wars cartoon.

(i'm actually really happy it's not chunky CGI and am looking forward to seeing how it turns out)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Anyway if it's on CBS streaming it won't really matter to me whether it's good or not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dude on the lower-right is giving me a bit of an Andy French vibe (rip :()

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
further curses:

star trek teen drama that never actually leaves earth

star trek cyberpunk show that spends the entire series completely and incomprehensibly up its own rear end

star trek show starring bashir and garak but they never speak to or interact with each other in any capacity

star trek show based on that episode of voyager about y2k

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Epicurius posted:

You must be new here. Anything made after Shrek 2 is bad.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

Buddy, this is the Star Trek thread. Our cruising speed is Warp Factor Hate

besides it could have been worse. it could have looked like that CGI Clone Wars cartoon.

I mean that was definitely an intentional artistic choice, and I can see why you wouldn't like it (I didn't at first) but that show is so well done, it grows on you.
We'd be lucky if any modern Trek show was made with half the care of Clone Wars or Rebels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zurui posted:

You must be new here. Anything made after Shrek 2 is bad.

And I’m not too sure about Shrek 2 either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

further curses:

star trek teen drama that never actually leaves earth

star trek cyberpunk show that spends the entire series completely and incomprehensibly up its own rear end

star trek show starring bashir and garak but they never speak to or interact with each other in any capacity

star trek show based on that episode of voyager about y2k

#2 is Discovery and I would 100% watch a show with Garak and Bashir even if they only interacted by proxy