Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Lol get hosed Bojo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

bump_fn posted:

so the speaker can just reopen parliament immediately or what

Yep, and he's on it.

It'll be a day or two to let people travel, but by the end of the week things should be very tasty.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
What's happening!?!?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Aramoro posted:

He gave up his US citizenship didn't he?

yes he reneged it to stop uncle sam taxing him lol

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Bet there's a few MPs on their way already, it's good optics if they can make it there first.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also from the judgement

quote:

The next question is whether there is a reasonable justification for taking action which had such an extreme effect upon the fundamentals of our democracy.
Of course, the Government must be accorded a great deal of latitude in making decisions of this nature. We are not concerned with the Prime Minister’s motive in doing what he did. We are concerned with whether there was a reason for him to do it. It will be apparent from the documents quoted earlier that no reason was given for closing down Parliament for five weeks. Everything was focussed on the need for a new Queen’s Speech and the reasons for holding that in the week beginning rhe 14th October rather than the previous week. But why did that need a prorogation of five weeks?

That's pretty pissed off lol

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Rarity posted:

With BoJo all the way over in the States can all the opposition MPs hustle back to Parliament now and destroy Brexit while he's still in the plane?

I mean, your Prime Minister is not the same person as your House Speaker, so I presume Bercow can convene Parliament at his pleasure and get to business with everyone who shows up, given that it has now been ruled that Parliament should never have been closed in the first place.

also lol: has johnson actually accomplished a single thing as prime minister at this point or has he literally been shot down or reversed for every single action his government has taken

double also: You know, given that the court has now said that Bojo was not gay but did, in fact, do crimes (or at least performed a "unlawful act", as the court statement put it) when he advised the Queen to prorogue Parliament. So uh... given that he openly did this himself, with witnesses... does that make him a criminal now? The act itself is unlawful, but does that mean Bojo actually committed a crime? Is it criminal to knowingly give the Crown erroneous advice for the purpose of guiding policy?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:rock:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
The next pmq should open with bercow sitting there one leg draped nonchalantly over the arm of his chair not even lifting his eyes to say "well well well, look who came crawling back"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

double also: You know, given that the court has now said that Bojo was not gay

Hey now this isn't an Immigration tribunal.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

https://twitter.com/RachaelKrishna/status/1176435449973420033

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just having a deep chuckle to myself imagining BSJ in his pyjamas , 5.45 am in New York, watching this verdict roll in. Lol

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 24, 2019

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Grey Hunter posted:

This I what I want. I want him to be hunted.

Extraordinary Rendition: Serjeant at Arms edition.

Also thinking about a of a train full of Labour MPs singing and pissing themselves laughing on the way back to London.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

KayTee posted:

What's happening!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Chucat posted:

Corbyn's closing speech is tomorrow at Labour Conference, so hopefully he can teleport.

Either way it'll be interesting though.

Close the conference early this afternoon. Corbyn can take TWatson's slot.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Oh what a glorious day!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HauntedRobot posted:

The next pmq should open with bercow sitting there one leg draped nonchalantly over the arm of his chair not even lifting his eyes to say "well well well, look who came crawling back"

Perhaps a slow clap for the fools who have stumbled into his lair

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Anyway, what is going to happen now in act 13 scene 5 of this political farce boogaloo?

Can a vote to extend the deadline until an election can be properly held have the wording agreed on and actually pass?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Bet there's a few MPs on their way already, it's good optics if they can make it there first.

Bah gawd is that Dennis Skinner's music!

I had a quick scan through the rulings and it's amazing that we're literally referring to stuff like the 1688 Bill of Rights and, in one memorable instance, a statue under Richard III in 1362

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

SpaceDrake posted:

You know, given that the court has now said that Bojo was not gay but did, in fact, do crimes (or at least performed a "unlawful act", as the court statement put it) when he advised the Queen to prorogue Parliament. So uh... given that he openly did this himself, with witnesses... does that make him a criminal now? The act itself is unlawful, but does that mean Bojo actually committed a crime? Is it criminal to knowingly give the Crown erroneous advice for the purpose of guiding policy?

No. This was civil procedure, a bit like if someone broke a contract. Just like in that case the court will offer a remedy, and someone has technically broken the law, but there's nothing criminal about unlawfully proroguing Parliament in the same way as there's nothing criminal about not paying your debts. (I think.) In this circumstance the remedy is to say that Parliament was never prorogued; in the contract example the remedy would be a court order for you to pay what you owe.

E: A better example might be copyright law - you're breaking the law if you try to sell a Mario fan-game, but that doesn't mean the pigs breaking down your door and dragging you off to jail.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Hey now this isn't an Immigration tribunal.
in a sense, it is

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SpaceDrake posted:

also lol: has johnson actually accomplished a single thing as prime minister at this point or has he literally been shot down or reversed for every single action his government has taken

Well not in the legislature, but they sacked lots of decent civil servants and wasted a bunch of money and probably did quite a few other executive acts we won't hear about in the media.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
lmao "Give me a break" PM pleads in pigeon french

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/23/boris-johnson-says-will-not-resign-critics-should-donnez-moi/

quote:

Boris Johnson said he will not resign if the Supreme Court rules he suspended Parliament unlawfully as he told critics: "donnez-moi un break".

On Tuesday morning judges will give their verdict on whether Mr Johnson misled the Queen when he prorogued Parliament.

Speaking ahead of the ruling, Mr Johnson insisted he would not resign if it did not fall in his favour.

Asked if losing the case would make his position untenable, the Prime Minister said: “No, I think the reasons for wanting a Queens speech are extremely good.”

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
It's worth noting that this judgement also prevents any further attempts to prorogue parliament. Should have read more sun tsu, dommy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Munin posted:

Anyway, what is going to happen now in act 13 scene 5 of this political farce boogaloo?

Buddy you're asking for predictions on British Politics 2019, you'd be as well off asking for next week's lottery numbers, we're incredibly beyond the point of knowing what the gently caress is going to happen. All we know for sure is that the various oppo parties must be in stitches atm

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Also, if the outcome of this is parliament was never shut down surely that means all the dismissed legislation is back on the table? A good day for Welsh public toilets.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Tee hee fucken hee

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Munin posted:

Can a vote to extend the deadline until an election can be properly held have the wording agreed on and actually pass?

It already did. On September 9th. Remember, the one Boris said he'd ignore?

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift
That scene from the end of back to the future except the news paper headline changes from "Boris Johnson Elected" to "Boris Johnson Arrested".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol so he actually said that now

John Crace joked about him asking that two weeks ago. something like

quote:

"Donnez moi un break" simpered the clown prince

"fermez le gently caress up" responded parliament

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
BBC News channel is showing Corbyn announcing the court ruling at the Labour conference to massive cheers.

*Peston nods thoughtfully* Just like in China; the courts do the work of the ruling party

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Johnson is a wasteman!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What's the record for # of PMs outlasted as Leader of the Opposition?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

It already did. On September 9th. Remember, the one Boris said he'd ignore?

I thought that Labour wasn't happy with wording thinking it wasn't cast iron enough and hence wouldn't agree to pass the bill to call for an election or am I getting mixed up?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I'm imagining de Pfeffy frantically trying to get through to Trump asking for help vanishing into the Alaskan wilderness rather than having to fly back home into a shitstorm even bigger than the one he was in a couple of weeks ago.

I'm also imagining that the next PodPrax episode will just be every poster ITT HOWLING with laughter like a pack of shot wolves for 90 minutes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

VideoGames posted:

Johnson is a wasteman!

That is the legal opinion of the UK's highest court, yes

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
wish I could look forward to tory heads exploding as they realise their boy is the baddie but lol cognitive dissonance reigns supreme

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RockyB posted:

Also, if the outcome of this is parliament was never shut down surely that means all the dismissed legislation is back on the table? A good day for Welsh public toilets.

Good news for the Domestic Violence and Divorce/Dissolution Bills :toot:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1176436372045029376

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

What's the record for # of PMs outlasted as Leader of the Opposition?

probably ramsay macdonald, at 3, but he was pm for a brief stint in the middle

e; 2 were the same pm tho