Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Clarknt67/status/1176248861687504897?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The question of conditioning aid to Israel wasn't asked and I don't see how anyone could infer it from her answer to the ONE Israel question???

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Does anyone know what legislation she's talking about here? In 2014, Sanders introduced a bill to increase the Estate Tax, but that's pretty different than what Warren's wealth tax proposes, and I wasn't able to find any bills by him that would have done something similar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Epicurius posted:

Does anyone know what legislation she's talking about here? In 2014, Sanders introduced a bill to increase the Estate Tax, but that's pretty different than what Warren's wealth tax proposes, and I wasn't able to find any bills by him that would have done something similar.

that's what she's talking about. it was framed as a wealth tax at the time: https://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/recent-business/sanders-proposes-wealth-tax-piketty-reich-applaud

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Epicurius posted:

This is dumb pedantry. It is not meaningfully different to where he has to "take a page from Warren" to tax the wealthy. It's dishonest framing and you know it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

E: Whoops

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

:qq:

https://twitter.com/HoarseWisperer/status/1176480178173882368

:qq:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm pretty sure if you have 30 million in even illiquid assets you can afford 5k a year.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Lol someone worth 30 million can’t pay 5 grand. gently caress off

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is dumb pedantry. It is not meaningfully different to where he has to "take a page from Warren" to tax the wealthy. It's dishonest framing and you know it.

It seems pretty different. On the one hand, you're increasing an existing tax on an estate's assets, said increase not very much affecting the dead billionaire, but only his heirs. On the other, you're creating a new tax that's actually taking assets from a living person which does have an actual effect, and which they're going to have to pay yearly, unlike the estate tax, which is just a single payment.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

take the drat horse with his 1/1 twit chain to the fuckin glue factory

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1176183715740803072

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mandatory lesbian posted:

i also like simple man, whoever did that can be number 2

A Goon named Mandatory Lesbian digging Lynyrd Skynyrd (and all the ideological baggage that comes with them) is pretty funny.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

You can think he should do something at the same time you expect that he won't do it.

Here's Bernie's: https://www.cfr.org/article/bernie-sanders

He's so, so much better on foreign policy issues, it's just night and day.

It is remarkable how little daylight exists between these answers, but the most notable difference for me? Sanders doesn't explicitly say there are no military options in Venezuela.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Chilichimp posted:

It is remarkable how little daylight exists between these answers, but the most notable difference for me? Sanders doesn't explicitly say there are no military options in Venezuela.

quote:

My administration would not be in the business of regime change. The United States has a long history of inappropriately intervening in Latin American countries; we must not go down that road again.

He explicitly does.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

A person whose net worth is a 30 million dollar company wouldn't actually owe any wealth tax under this plan.

This is the same busted logic it takes to complain about "double taxation" for stock investments. "I don't own money, I own STOCK!"

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

He explicitly does.

Yeah, I'm applying the same level of disingenuous hackery it takes to say "Warren would not condition aid to Israel".

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

If we look at the statistics, there's a slim small chance that Warren has took a picture standing next to a murderer.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

The question of conditioning aid to Israel wasn't asked and I don't see how anyone could infer it from her answer to the ONE Israel question???

They ask her what her policy toward Israel and Palestine will be, and she lists a bunch of things, none of which include conditioning aid. Therefore it's fair to assume that conditioning aid is not part of her policy toward Israel. This distinguishes her from Sanders, who was asked the same question but managed to mention conditioning aid despite giving a much shorter answer.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, I'm applying the same level of disingenuous hackery it takes to say "Warren would not condition aid to Israel".

Or maybe that take is because Warren has explicitly in the past argued against conditioning aid ("“I think there’s a question of whether we should go that far,”") and her failure to change her position when speaking on the topic is significant, and we are all not loving goldfish on who this endless actually disingenuous attempt to divorce every statement from her much longer history on the topic would work?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah man, and if Harris says “Medicare for all” then how is it any different from Bernie’s Medicare for all? Sure it’s a completely different policy but the words are the same, why are people so caught up in dumb pedantry? Fifty trillion Pinocchios to the Post.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kamala wasn't even a contender.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Kamala wasn't even a contender.

She was. She isn't anymore. The caucus wants Medicare for All, and her plan fuckin' sucks.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah man, and if Harris says “Medicare for all” then how is it any different from Bernie’s Medicare for all? Sure it’s a completely different policy but the words are the same, why are people so caught up in dumb pedantry? Fifty trillion Pinocchios to the Post.

Don't give me this horseshit equivocation. The entire point of Bernie's estate tax legislation was pulling more cash from the wealthy. If you think that Bernie only moved onto this new legislation because of Warren then say so instead of doing this pass-agg dishonest garbage yet again.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

new NH poll

https://twitter.com/MonmouthPoll/status/1176526849771487232

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rip the dream is dead. was nice knowing you america.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Oh Snapple! posted:

Don't give me this horseshit equivocation. The entire point of Bernie's estate tax legislation was pulling more cash from the wealthy. If you think that Bernie only moved onto this new legislation because of Warren then say so instead of doing this pass-agg dishonest garbage yet again.

Pretty sure that's not what he's saying? Literally everyone knows that Bernie would love to strip every dollar from billionaires that he can, and his new (good) plan just happens to be more mechanically similar to Warren's plan than previous plans he's released.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure that's not what he's saying? Literally everyone knows that Bernie would love to strip every dollar from billionaires that he can, and his new (good) plan just happens to be more mechanically similar to Warren's plan than previous plans he's released.

Except the topic of discussion is WaPo blatantly insinuating that Bernie is just copying Warren.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bernie stole Warren's plan

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

In any case if you want to go full pedant and claim Brie is wrong and the estate tax legislation doesn't count then here's Vox straight up saying with receipt that this is not something Warren beat Bernie to

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/2/12/18211833/wealth-tax-calculator-warren-sanders

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The editorial outcome of the headline is turn news abut Bernie releasing a thing into a favorable mental impression for Warren. Obviously the article itself will contrast the plans because of their similarity, but almost all headline summaries of that content would not somehow make the leading phrase something (much less something misleading to demonstrably false) about Warren's primacy/leadership in this policy domain unless that was an editorial goal.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

Bernie stole Warren's plan

Just like Bernie to steal from a woman of color

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lmao Elizabeth Warren sucks poo poo and if you defend her you're an idiot.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Pander posted:

Yes, Bernie famously hones in on weaknesses of Democrat competitors and viciously attacks. Real show no mercy guy, that Bernie Sanders. Not at all a broke brain take.

So did you sleep through that time he savaged Clinton over her foreign policy stances and in particular continued friendship with war criminal Henry Kissinger, or what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So did you sleep through that time he savaged Clinton over her foreign policy stances and in particular continued friendship with war criminal Henry Kissinger, or what?

clinton's response to that was super gross too. it's a shame it didn't stick.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

rip the dream is dead. was nice knowing you america.

It ain't all bad:
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1176532601030529025?s=19

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Polls like these that are scary, but that's why it's important to remember that polls are used to influence people, not to reflect views.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Streak posted:

Lmao Elizabeth Warren sucks poo poo and if you defend her you're an idiot.

Who’s defending Warren? (I mean, I will, to a point, but I’m not voting for her and it’s not what we’re talking about.) I was just pointing out that Oh Snapple! was spouting nonsense and that estate taxes and wealth taxes are not the same thing.

If you want to attack that Wapo headline, there are absolutely grounds on which you could do so - I mean, “taking a page” gives Warren way more credit for Bernie’s policy than she deserves - but bringing up a 2014 estate tax law as a “gotcha” is a complete non-sequiter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

time to double my donation.