Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Meatball posted:

They may want to, but the base won't allow it. After getting the straight racism for years they wont settle fog dog whistles.

Eh, maybe they'll think they can lead the base back to dog whistles. Really though I just wanted to point out that criminality means poo poo all to them. Trump could nuke New York and they'd spin it if they thought that would help them. The only question for Republicans is going to be how impeaching or not impeaching Trump impacts their control and power.

Here's a man contemplating a cat
https://twitter.com/Labbars/status/972486430764290049

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Pelosi's thing this afternoon being televised?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

eke out posted:

Yes. You can look a few pages back for the lawfare link.

but no this in particular will never happen

I read that, but it doesn't seem to answer my central question, which is "What can Congress do if the White House still says 'lol no'?" Okay, impeachment makes it easier to issue subpoenas, and it blows up the Trump team's main legal objections to complying with the subpoena. But what if they say "gently caress you, we're still not releasing that because executive privilege presidential harassment fake news etc" and just continue the stonewall? Then can we get Mnuchin or Barr or someone getting perpwalked across the White House lawn?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Nail Rat posted:

This is over 70% of the caucus (even if there are a few independents/Rs in there, probably not the latter)! When the gently caress will Pelosi get a clue?

It seems like they're following the same playbook as when Franken resigned - let the caucus show their support throughout the day, then make the big announcement at the end.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I love that our system and parties are so hosed that 70% of the caucus and a majority of the public wants something and I'm like "yeah I'll believe this when I see it."

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A few pages back but this is the big thing we need to keep in mind and what I’m scared of. That if impeachment happens people will dust their hands saying “Thank god that outlier is gone now back to normal!” when normal is what gave us Trump to begin with and the looming threat will be an actually competent fascist gaining power next

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

The crullerty is the point.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

fishing with the fam posted:

Pelosi's thing this afternoon being televised?

If she's going to get the ball rolling on impeachment I'd think you'd have no trouble finding it on any of the cable news networks or C-SPAN

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I read that, but it doesn't seem to answer my central question, which is "What can Congress do if the White House still says 'lol no'?" Okay, impeachment makes it easier to issue subpoenas, and it blows up the Trump team's main legal objections to complying with the subpoena. But what if they say "gently caress you, we're still not releasing that because executive privilege presidential harassment fake news etc" and just continue the stonewall? Then can we get Mnuchin or Barr or someone getting perpwalked across the White House lawn?

you sue them to enforce the subpoenas in federal court, dude. what do you think that long piece on lawfare was talking about

they've literally already done this, these legal fights are currently happening and the trump argument for why they shouldn't be enforced is literally "this isn't impeachment"

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 24, 2019

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Except LBJ had him dead to rights and chose to do nothing.

That's not quite the case. We never had full confirmation that Nixon did it until H.R. Haldeman's notes came out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/opinion/sunday/nixons-vietnam-treachery.html

It's also tricky because a lot of the sabotage was directed at motivating the South Vietnamese president at the time to be less cooperative and LBJ only had but so much room to attack Nixon without undermining the whole bullshit show that led to the US' involvement in Vietnam in the first place. They needed the full indisputable proof that they did not have. Otherwise the attack would have looked like shaky politically-motivated smearing.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Except LBJ had him dead to rights and chose to do nothing.

It would be nice if Dems would draw a straight line from Nixon in 1968, through Watergate, Iran Contra, Dubya with the lies leading to the Iraq war and justifying our new torture program, and on to Trump. Increasingly blatant lawlessness because big conservatives are never held to account.

Even Hastert was only held responsible for "structuring withdrawals" to conceal the hush money paid to his molestation victims.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

eke out posted:

you sue them to enforce the subpoenas in federal court, dude. what do you think that long piece on lawfare was talking about

I understood that, but what punishment do they face if they don't comply with a court order?

Like, if there's a smoking gun, are they really going to turn it over?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

OB_Juan posted:

:lol:

We got jokes!

https://twitter.com/aaron_schwa/status/1176547063468908544

https://twitter.com/Kathleenhamil15/status/1176549414325719040

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

OB_Juan posted:

USPOL Fall: The crullerty is the point.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I understood that, but what punishment do they face if they don't comply with a court order?

In a just system they are held in contempt and are imprisoned until they comply. In this system? Who knows

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Phenotype posted:

Contempt of congress and begin fining them many many large amounts of monies a day until they comply.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

A few pages back but this is the big thing we need to keep in mind and what I’m scared of. That if impeachment happens people will dust their hands saying “Thank god that outlier is gone now back to normal!” when normal is what gave us Trump to begin with and the looming threat will be an actually competent fascist gaining power next

Absolutely. We get some lovely president next who doesn't want to make any changes and won't pack the courts, and we're hosed even more than we are now.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

OB_Juan posted:

:vince:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

beejay posted:

Absolutely. We get some lovely president next who doesn't want to make any changes and won't pack the courts, and we're hosed even more than we are now.

Not necessarily, due to the Great Boomer Die-Off.

The Silent Generation is the ONLY generation that is majority Republican. In 10 years, they'll effectively no longer exist, and boomer numbers will also be dropping.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

beejay posted:

If the next president doesn’t have the ability to enact a sweeping social change program like M4A or a jobs program or whatnot, there’s practically a guarantee we’ll get a goddamned fascist as the president afterwards thanks to the Republican mantra of “if first you don’t succeed, double-down and fash harder”.

At least I think that’s how the saying goes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Phenotype posted:

Trump and Pence enjoy pretty substantial legal immunity and (probably) can't be compelled to do jack poo poo, much less be incarcerated, as long as they're in office. Everybody else, no such luck, they can all be jailed for contempt of court.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Pelosi's going to have a press conference where she asks "who wants to talk about impeachment?!" Then she'll put on a Red MAGA hat and say "Gotcha!"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Ripoff posted:

If the next president doesn’t have the ability to enact a sweeping social change program like M4A or a jobs program or whatnot, there’s practically a guarantee we’ll get a goddamned fascist as the president afterwards thanks to the Republican mantra of “if first you don’t succeed, double-down and fash harder”.

At least I think that’s how the saying goes.

In all honesty the great boomer die off will probably start before they get enough base to elect a fascist again.

Or so we can only hope.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Pelosi's going to have a press conference where she asks "who wants to talk about impeachment?!" Then she'll put on a Red MAGA hat and say "Gotcha!"

The MAGA Hat actually says MAUI, recess continues, later suckers!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1176543842033721344

gottem!!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
She's stuck at this point. A majority of the caucus is in favor of impeachment, so there's no way this isn't going forward.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And all it took was Trump going after one of their own for some lovely nepotism. Truly the Rubicon had been crossed at that moment.

Paradoxish posted:

She's stuck at this point. A majority of the caucus is in favor of impeachment, so there's no way this isn't going forward.

This has been true since last year. It really is the fact that Trump is going after the presumed candidate that has made her move.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

That's some powerful leadership right there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the great mattering is upon us.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Phenotype posted:

google chelsea manning

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

This has been true since last year. It really is the fact that Trump is going after the presumed candidate that has made her move.

This is incorrect. We only got up to a slim majority in favor of impeachment right around the time of the Mueller testimony this summer, since then it's increased very slowly to the high 130s, up until the landslide of the last 24 hours.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

quote:

The Senate Watergate Committee, known officially as the Select Committee on Presidential Campaign Activities, was a special committee established by the United States Senate, S.Res. 60, in 1973, to investigate the Watergate scandal, with the power to investigate the break-in at the Democratic National Committee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate_Watergate_Committee

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Drew_Hammill/status/1176555174292262913

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

mod sassinator posted:

In all honesty the great boomer die off will probably start before they get enough base to elect a fascist again.

Or so we can only hope.

I really hope so. As much as I hate Trump, I’m just glad he’s the fascist we got rather than a competent one.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
A select committee makes sense, the next big question is who gets put on it

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well don't worry, nobody has breathed a word about presidential authority reforms, so we'll get a worse one soon enough

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Random Stranger posted:

This doesn't even make sense. Republicans are going to drag Biden through the mud during this investigation and there's almost no chance that Trump is actually removed from office. I'm absolutely sure that Pelosi would rather this Ukraine poo poo just go away, but there's too much noise being made right now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brony Car posted:

That's not quite the case. We never had full confirmation that Nixon did it until H.R. Haldeman's notes came out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/31/opinion/sunday/nixons-vietnam-treachery.html

It's also tricky because a lot of the sabotage was directed at motivating the South Vietnamese president at the time to be less cooperative and LBJ only had but so much room to attack Nixon without undermining the whole bullshit show that led to the US' involvement in Vietnam in the first place. They needed the full indisputable proof that they did not have. Otherwise the attack would have looked like shaky politically-motivated smearing.

Oh wow yeah, good thing they didn't attack Nixon then or he might have won in 68

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Glumslinger posted:

A select committee makes sense, the next big question is who gets put on it

SQUAD (never in a million years but we can dream)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Whoa!

Slow the gently caress down Pelosi!

theflyingorc posted:

Not necessarily, due to the Great Boomer Die-Off.

The Silent Generation is the ONLY generation that is majority Republican. In 10 years, they'll effectively no longer exist, and boomer numbers will also be dropping.

They're already a minority party, the country is set up in such a way that a minority party can still run things.