Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

University of Iowa President threatening to cancel the Iowa/ISU game because of the band incident. I doubt that actually happens, but next year in Iowa may be ugly.

I wouldn't mind seeing it take a break for a year or two if only so Iowa could play someone new but it's not gonna happen, there is too much political pressure to keep it going.

Big fan of the Jamie Pollard press conference today where he once again made sure to point out that Iowa fans are mean too and then blamed the band for marching aggressively and using the wrong exit.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

You forgot that Ohio State pays everyone and has zero admission requirements for football players. Also their players are all a bunch of criminals on steroids and weed.

Michigan's players are only allowed to get high on the sense of self satisfaction you get from a "Michigan General Studies" license plate frame.

I wrote and then deleted a sentence about admission standards because who cares and also because I didn't want to encourage an awful AsInHowe post

Sab0921 posted:

From experience - it really sucks when your in state rivalry game is cancelled due to petty fights that no one cares about except a tiny number of highly influential people.

I dunno man I feel like some poor trombone player getting their ribs broken because a drunk goon was mad about the color of their shirt is maybe not great?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Yeah - what the gently caress, why don't people hire away their coordinators - they've had the same OC since Morris left 4-5 years ago and Venables is eternal.

In my head, Clemson is just following the trajectory of Mack Brown's Texas teams getting VY and then Colt McCoy for 4 years - so, good luck with the 2020's Clemson friends

They pay Venerables $2M per year and it looks like they have Co-OCs that make $1M a year each. If you don't have a massive ego I can understand being happy with that amount of money.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I thought there was no actual confirmation of assault, just rumors

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

I don't think there's like video or any charges filed but multiple band members and now Iowa have said that one of the band members suffered broken ribs

Spacemonkey57 posted:

They pay Venerables $2M per year and it looks like they have Co-OCs that make $1M a year each. If you don't have a massive ego I can understand being happy with that amount of money.

Also it's not like people are unaware that Veneables is good, he's had head coaching offers and doesn't seem interested. I'm sure there's a job out there he would take but it's going to need to be a really big one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sab0921 posted:

No police report has been filed, and it's my understanding that no one from ISU's side even knew anything about it until the Iowa band was already back in Iowa City.

From my understanding, ISU staff told the Iowa band to use the same exit as the ISU band. They ended up going out a different exit that was crammed full of people, and proceeded to essentially march their way through the crowd while police/security tried to clear everyone out of the way. Not an excuse for fans to hurt band members, but it was a situation that could have been entirely avoided in the first place.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The police chief in the press conference today said the officers doing security for the band saw a "skirmish" and Iowa's list of allegations today mentions a confrontation between Iowa's band director and ISU facilities management about it so I guess I don't really believe that ISU was somehow totally unaware that anything happened even if they didn't have exact details.

It'd have been nice if one of the kids had filed a formal police report but they're kids who were dealing with a scary situation so I think just going to school authorities is pretty normal. They assumed it would be handled from there and of course that got hosed up because Iowa's athletic department is wildly incompetent.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

PostNouveau posted:

For some reason I always thought Ann Arbor was actually on the lake and thus way better to live in than Columbus.

But no, I just looked it up and it's a bombed-out post-industrial shithole just like Columbus.

south bend is the “nice” one (which is to say the one that looks like the least sad version of detroit)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ann Arbor is very much a college town but it's a nice college town

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

A.o.D. posted:

It was a 98 degree day, and the visitor's locker room didn't have any climate control, but yeah, every single LSU "HEAT INJURY" was totally bogus.

I obviously have a dog in this fight but at this point I'm pretty convinced that was bogus and possibly just came from a misinterpretation of Orgeron's initial comments. Texas got so defensive we ended up releasing data from the climate control monitoring systems showing the temperature and the airflow in the locker room. It was set to 68 degrees, the actual temp averaged around 72-73, and maxed out at 74.7.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27602421/locker-room-review-shows-normal-temps

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Brent Venables reminds me of Reverend Kane from Poltergeist 2

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I've never been to Ann Arbor, but Columbus definitely one of those places with no distinguishing characteristics at all. Generic American City in the 1 to 2 million persons range located in the The Large Flat Regions.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

MourningView posted:

Big fan of the Jamie Pollard press conference today where he once again made sure to point out that Iowa fans are mean too and then blamed the band for marching aggressively and using the wrong exit.

jfc this is ridiculous

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Seaniqua posted:

jfc this is ridiculous

I don't even know why I care so much, but the whole thing has turned into a he said/she said thing for both university admins. For whatever it's worth, someone did manage to find security video of the Iowa band, but it's pretty much impossible to tell if anything happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnhG9nwen_E&t=60s

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

jfc this is ridiculous

You would think it would be really easy to just be like "safety of fans and representatives of the schools is very important to us, we are working with Iowa to investigate what happened and want to be sure there are no incidents in the future" and then leave it at that, but instead it must always be an opportunity to make sure you don't lose any Rivalry Points.

Like Gary Barta is wildly incompetent and should have been fired seven scandals ago but Pollard is basically a Cyclone Fanatic poster who also happens to have the ability to hold press conferences. And hey he's overseen maybe the strongest period for athletics they've ever had and seems to get their fanbase excited so I guess good for him, but some of that poo poo is so petty and dumb. Everyone in a position of authority here loving sucks

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 24, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

MourningView posted:

Ann Arbor is very much a college town but it's a nice college town
Agreed. The street market is nice, the bars and tubing on the Huron are fun. Good tacos.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Thermos H Christ posted:

I obviously have a dog in this fight but at this point I'm pretty convinced that was bogus and possibly just came from a misinterpretation of Orgeron's initial comments. Texas got so defensive we ended up releasing data from the climate control monitoring systems showing the temperature and the airflow in the locker room. It was set to 68 degrees, the actual temp averaged around 72-73, and maxed out at 74.7.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27602421/locker-room-review-shows-normal-temps

To be fair if you asked me to set my thermostat at 75 degrees and go to sleep, I'd have legal rights to shoot you in Texas.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My thermostat is at 70 when I go to sleep and if you touch it I will light you on fire or throw you in dry ice, depending on which way you go with it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm glad to see my line of work is getting drug into college football too. Here's hoping I never end up on a project that could end up making national news.

Edit: If you care at all about climate change, you need to start changing your loving thermostat set points. You're wasting a poo poo ton of energy on your HVAC systems.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

I've never been to Ann Arbor, but Columbus definitely one of those places with no distinguishing characteristics at all. Generic American City in the 1 to 2 million persons range located in the The Large Flat Regions.

Having a circular freeway that makes rush hour awful in two directions is distinct.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm glad to see my line of work is getting drug into college football too. Here's hoping I never end up on a project that could end up making national news.

Edit: If you care at all about climate change, you need to start changing your loving thermostat set points. You're wasting a poo poo ton of energy on your HVAC systems.

If you're saying I have to set my thermostat to 78 or the earth will burn....well let it loving burn baby.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I keep it at 79 in the evening, and it goes to 81 while I'm asleep. Maybe it's causing my brain to swell, who can say?

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Marching aggressively? Were they goose stepping or something?????

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

Brent Venables reminds me of Reverend Kane from Poltergeist 2

I'm not familiar with that movie, but the resemblance is uncanny.

Sab0921 posted:

If you're saying I have to set my thermostat to 78 or the earth will burn....well let it loving burn baby.

Solar/wind/renewable energy? Sure.
Reduced carbon emissions and increased recycling? Check.
Nationwide rail? gently caress yeah.
Turn up the thermostat at night? gently caress this leftist bullshit.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

I don't get the Longhorns coach being so thin skinned about "horns down" and everything else but whatever he's doing seems to be working so...

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
One of my favorite graffiti artists used to throw up great pieces in Ann Arbor

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ann Arbor is constantly under construction, full of the smuggest people on earth, and it's biggest pride outside of the university is overpriced sandwiches.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Are the sandwiches good though?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ann Arbor is constantly under construction, full of the smuggest people on earth, and it's biggest pride outside of the university is overpriced sandwiches.

I too would like to know more about the sandwiches.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Henchman of Santa posted:

Having a circular freeway that makes rush hour awful in two directions is distinct.

No, Indy has that too. I've driven through both and they're not that different, at least from the highway.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I too would like to know more about the sandwiches.

$20 for a Reuben? Wtf?!?!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sab0921 posted:

The Athletic is coming hard at mid-season offseason posting.

https://theathletic.com/1231490/2019/09/24/the-meatiest-top-25-college-football-teams-ranked-by-nearby-cuisine/

Alabama is #1 here too.

i like this list because my favorite Korean wing place in Chicago is mentioned. I lived a couple blocks away from it for like a year, that was a good year

(gently caress crisp their wings are small and puny Dak for life)

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Mummy Xzibit posted:

$20 for a Reuben? Wtf?!?!

Yep, first time I ever went to zingermans I wondered what college kid is buying $17 sandwiches?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I turn the a/c to up (down?) to like 78 when I go to work because I'm not there. But set it to arctic when I am trying to sleep. Am I doing it right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I turn the a/c to up (down?) to like 78 when I go to work because I'm not there. But set it to arctic when I am trying to sleep. Am I doing it right?

You, personally, are killing us all. Everyone else just sleeps with the windows open, but this one choice made by one person is dooming the entire planet.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can't actually find what the tweet was but the Busch Light Sign Guy got milkshake duck'd by the Des Moines Register and had to issue an apology for some lovely racist tweets he made when he was 16, and now Anheuser Busch is cutting ties with him. They're still gonna make the donation to the hospital (total is over a million now) but I assume the special beer can and stuff are done now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I can't actually find what the tweet was but the Busch Light Sign Guy got milkshake duck'd by the Des Moines Register and had to issue an apology for some lovely racist tweets he made when he was 16, and now Anheuser Busch is cutting ties with him. They're still gonna make the donation to the hospital (total is over a million now) but I assume the special beer can and stuff are done now.

:laffo:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

:lol:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They didn't even actually report it yet, I guess someone just dug through all his tweets and then called him for comment when they found a bad one so he issued the (honestly pretty good and heartfelt) apology to get out ahead of it? It was a Tosh.0 reference, apparently lol. The world is very stupid.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I can’t find anything that says what he actually said except that he was supposedly quoting Tosh.0 back and forth with friends. That sounds pretty bang on for a high school sophomore.

But lol yeah let’s ruin this guy because he was a dumb kid and let’s forget that he’s donating an assload of money to a children’s hospital unprompted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

You, personally, are killing us all. Everyone else just sleeps with the windows open, but this one choice made by one person is dooming the entire planet.

Well I always figured I'd change the world one way or another