Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
when you get down to it, isn't all posting just computer madlibs?

Another one for the Spiked/RCP playlist: Don McLean's NAMBLA

ed: awful snipe. here are pictures of a little critter that jumped on my arm a couple of weeks back and demanded to go outside. apologies for pasty flesh

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Josef bugman posted:

Heya folks, quick question but why are so many media types getting all cross about Corbyn having "vicious swipes at the media?" Was it in the speech anywhere? (examples below)

He ad-libed a bit at the end of his conference speech were he thanked his wife and family for dealing with the intrusions into their personal lives from 'some' members of the media; literally pausing on 'some' to make a point.

Earlier in the day he asked a scrum of reporters to stop pushing in a tone that could be described as 'particularly concerned' or 'firm'.

They have to write something negative though so they cling on to whatever they can.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Barry Foster posted:

I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here, not trying to dictate to the thread or nothing, but I find computer madlibs pretty boring

It's alright when they're short and snappy but if people leave them at the default setting of 200 words or whatever then i can't be arsed to read them

Still, better than crispchat

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Barry Foster posted:

I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here, not trying to dictate to the thread or nothing, but I find computer madlibs pretty boring

Hi-five fellow "skip right over every one of those posts" buddy.

The Victoria Derbyshire Show is really bad.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Looking forward to see Bercow doing this thing again.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

forkboy84 posted:

The Victoria Derbyshire Show is really bad.

In what way? You've always got Jeremy Vine as an alternative.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"It was lawful until the Supreme Court decided it wasn't so Boris did nothing wrong." is some convoluted logic.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

forkboy84 posted:

"It was lawful until the Supreme Court decided it wasn't so Boris did nothing wrong." is some convoluted logic.

Boris cannot fail, He can only be failed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

Hmmm like I can see if you say that this law was so unclear that it took the best legal minds in the country a week to figure out if i'd broken it, then really how can you blame the person for misinterpreting it in the first place?

But also murder trials take months and thats definitely wrong and the person gets blamed so whatever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HJB posted:

In what way? You've always got Jeremy Vine as an alternative.

I dunno, they usually have "a panel" I guess of about 10-12 voxpops on it and they are far too often Gammony and it just makes me want to turn my telly off.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Still, better than crispchat

Worcestershire.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Hmmm like I can see if you say that this law was so unclear that it took the best legal minds in the country a week to figure out if i'd broken it, then really how can you blame the person for misinterpreting it in the first place?

But also murder trials take months and thats definitely wrong and the person gets blamed so whatever.

It was some Tory Deputy Chair of the 1922 Committee or something, Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. I get the impression he's in the tank for BoJo

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://calendar.parliament.uk nothing in the calendar beyond space for urgent questions and ministerial statments. Today's going to be a total shitshow :madmax:

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/status/1176771486616567809

No problem fitting the agenda in the twitter preview today. Are there likely to be any meaningful votes? It would be nice if Boris racked up more losses before he even makes it back.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

So what happens now? Does parliament get back in session? Is it expected that BJ passes his function to Reese Mogg or something?

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
it's like when people talk about their dreams

I don't give a poo poo how weird and wacky your dream seemed to you

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Lord Stimperor posted:

So what happens now? Does parliament get back in session? Is it expected that BJ passes his function to Reese Mogg or something?

I think he's going to try to weather it out. Although it feels like things are moving to a fatal resolution for Boris.

Rees Mogg just accused the supreme Court of a constitutional coup (apparently, Gove didn't deny it) and he's the leader of the house so it might be a bit awkward to put him in.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lord Stimperor posted:

Parliament now technically never left its session, so it's not 'back' in a way.

I think at 11:00 Bercow is just gonna open the floor to any relevant/wild poo poo that MPs may or may not want to get on with.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm willing to bet Bercow will roll with whatever parliament want to do today, he's going to go out with a bang!

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Junior G-man posted:

Parliament now technically never left its session, so it's not 'back' in a way.

I think at 11:00 Bercow is just gonna open the floor to any relevant/wild poo poo that MPs may or may not want to get on with.

11:30 isn't it.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
:getin:

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1176789977797206016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

At first I groaned, then I realized that it said the speaker is choosing.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

CGI Stardust posted:

when you get down to it, isn't all posting just computer madlibs?

Another one for the Spiked/RCP playlist: Don McLean's NAMBLA

ed: awful snipe. here are pictures of a little critter that jumped on my arm a couple of weeks back and demanded to go outside. apologies for pasty flesh

He wants to go outside because he’s full of disgusting horse hair worm parasites and needs to drown himself so they will finally explode out of his body, killing him and releasing him from his endless torment.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Jess Phillips having a bit of a 'mare on the BBC. Totally insufferable. I guess this is what happens when an MP spends more time trying to appeal to her Twitter followers than her constituents.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here, I know all right, right? We will meet again with the winner get back home at the end. I am just going to see who's in front of me! Well here's everything from the whole event:
I find computer madlibs pretty boring.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
New entry to the Private Eye lexicon.

https://twitter.com/scatatkins/status/1176782477958033408?s=21

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

They just pass an act today.

Well, there's 44 urgent questions for Bercow to pick, so it could happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Von Linus posted:

11:30 isn't it.

Yis.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just listening to Corbyn's conference speech now and the National Drug Service is idea is such a winner. Taking on Big Pharma, you love to see it.

Very much looking forward to some Parliamentary bants today.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Then why is he still useless with tech?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Rarity posted:

Just listening to Corbyn's conference speech now and the National Drug Service is idea is such a winner. Taking on Big Pharma, you love to see it.

Very much looking forward to some Parliamentary bants today.

I do really like that. I wonder would pharma companies move to offshore production or not sell in the UK or something. Would they be able.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Drone_Fragger posted:

he’s full of disgusting horse hair worm parasites and needs to drown himself so they will finally explode out of his body, killing him and releasing him from his endless torment.
same

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Is there no way to force Johnson to get the extension sooner rather than later? Keeping it penciled in for late October doesn't seem great now that parliament is back on.

The whole point of it being that late is to give Boris every possible chance to get a deal. He only has to request an extension if he can't do that, making the extension his fault rather than an attempt by Parliament to delay the process.

Our main concern with the timing is that the EU could in theory demand that we accept a longer extension than we are asking for, which would have to be voted on by Parliament. I'm sure it would pass, but you know that the Tories will try anything to delay the vote long enough for us to default out.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Jess Phillips having a bit of a 'mare on the BBC. Totally insufferable. I guess this is what happens when an MP spends more time trying to appeal to her Twitter followers than her constituents.

More info plox.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Rarity posted:

This is what happens when you go to a... friend instead of an accredited institution....

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

The whole point of it being that late is to give Boris every possible chance to get a deal. He only has to request an extension if he can't do that, making the extension his fault rather than an attempt by Parliament to delay the process.

Our main concern with the timing is that the EU could in theory demand that we accept a longer extension than we are asking for, which would have to be voted on by Parliament. I'm sure it would pass, but you know that the Tories will try anything to delay the vote long enough for us to default out.

As I recall the wording of the bill was "UNLESS parliament votes to refuse it, the Prime Minister MUST accept a longer deal within 2 days of the offer." - specifically to prevent him pulling that poo poo.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
There will be five oral statements today on:

1) Thomas Cook update - Grant Shapps
2) Brexit readiness and operation yellow hammer - Michael Gove
3) Iran Update - Dominic Raab
4) Update to Parliament - PM
5) Business Statement - Leader of the House

Statements after questions.

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1176793829611118592?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Von Linus posted:

I do really like that. I wonder would pharma companies move to offshore production or not sell in the UK or something. Would they be able.

What'll happen is the same thing that happened in India when they did the same thing. They'll piss and moan and threaten to sue and whine about how this is destroying them then quietly cave on prices if dropping loads of money on lobbyists doesn't work. It has always worked before though but heres hoping a Corbyn govt would hold firm.

Source - me, the poor bastard who's spent half his working life in Pharma IP.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Saros posted:

What'll happen is the same thing that happened in India when they did the same thing. They'll piss and moan and threaten to sue and whine about how this is destroying them then cave if dropping loads of money on lobbyists doesn't work. It has always worked before though but heres hoping a Corbyn govt would hold firm.

Source - me, the poor bastard who's spent half his working life in Pharma IP.

Hurray imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rarity posted:

She's not a very good teacher unfortunately, her school teacher outfit kept falling off, it was hopeless.