Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

"I only committed crimes once after someone else suggested it" is an interesting defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It's worth reading the article Bloomberg did about Shokin and Biden. They speak to Shokin's former deputy prosecutor who says Shokin was actually doing the opposite of what Trump is mad about.

quote:

Shokin became prosecutor general in February 2015. Over the next year, the U.S. and the International Monetary Fund criticized officials for not doing enough to fight corruption in Ukraine.

Shokin took no action to pursue cases against Zlochevsky throughout 2015, said Kasko, who was Shokin’s deputy overseeing international cooperation and helping in asset-recovery investigations. Kasko said he had urged Shokin to pursue the investigations.

The U.S. stepped up its criticism in September 2015, when its ambassador to Ukraine, during a speech, accused officials working under Shokin of “subverting” the U.K. investigation.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Wow, this impeachment is going to be easy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

evilweasel posted:

eh

it is useful information to know that the concern caucus isn't leaping to defend trump. its not so much that mitt romney saying "troubling" means anything as that if he didn't bother doing that before leaping to defend trump, that would mean something

i think the senate is gonna ride this out and see how much bad poo poo/worse it gets. my guess is if its bad enough, they will try to push trump to resign for pence or some poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So this is kinda like if Nixon just gave up his tapes voluntarily, convinced that they would exonerate him?

Donald J Trump is the stupidest man alive, lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is so dumb

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine being a Ukrainian and knowing the only thing between you and violent subjugation by the Russians is how well your leaders can kiss Trump's rear end

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

So this is kinda like if Nixon just gave up his tapes voluntarily, convinced that they would exonerate him?

I honestly cannot tell if he is trying to bluff his way out of this or if he actually thinks that he didn't do anything wrong.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

its kinda more blatant than the nixon tapes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

hobbez posted:

The echo chamber in here is incredible. Just a little diversity of opinion. I can be convinced I’m incorrect

This "transcript" was edited down. The reporting on this is that Trump asked Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden eight times. He more than likely was very explicit on a quid pro-quo the other 7 times, they edited it down to just this as their least-bad option, and its still loving terrible.

The white house doesn't want the whistleblower to testify to congress because they will likely tell congress about the other 7 times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

I honestly cannot tell if he is trying to bluff his way out of this or if he actually thinks that he didn't do anything wrong.

i think its the latter. he legit believes he can do no wrong.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

This is just from one call. There were multiple calls. Trump even met with the Ukrainian President last night in person. This doesn't even include the whistleblower info yet.

I think this might actually be bad for Trump. Actual consequences are yet to be determined, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1176882097807605760

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Wow, So if this is what they were willing to release what are they hiding?

yeah seriously, this is what they tried to release to block the need to release the whistleblower report

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Flip Yr Wig posted:

This probably doesn't motivate the disaffected voters who the Democrats need to mobilize with economic populism, but it also likely has a marginal impact on medium information suburbanites who aren't in the Fox hole.

There, that's my useless horse race speculation on the current Trump scandal. Either way, it's still good on the merits to impeach him over this (and everything else).

yeah man. thats why im worried that the MSM is pushing biden and pushing warren as the compromise candidate. this wont get people out to vote because everyone is sick of the neo liberalism that has captured both parties. Warren is goiing to pull an obama. She is going to talk a mean game about hope and change (progressive policy) but if she gets into office its going to be moderate republican governance.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

As mentioned before, this is the final exam for Fox News. If Trump avoids impeachment with this poo poo, it accomplished its job of making sure a GOP president never gets impeached again.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Hahaha, well that's really saying something.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

FlamingLiberal posted:

Dems need to drag Rudy’s old rear end in front of this committee ASAP

I shot JFK. 9/11? I let it happen. The Lindbergh baby? That was me. I faked my own death. Jacob Wohl paid me $5 to whack Seth Rich. So what? Those aren't crimes, and anyway there's no evidence. Except these documents here, take a look they completely exonerate me, and I have copies if you're unsure.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

"Sources have released the talking points"
Well that's just silly, why would they do that

"The White House sent their talking points directly to the Dems"
LMAO. WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Reply All strikes again

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's both. It's always both.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the senate is gonna ride this out and see how much bad poo poo/worse it gets. my guess is if its bad enough, they will try to push trump to resign for pence or some poo poo.

i think the first part is right. anyone outside a deep red state gains nothing by opening their mouth now. they can just wait and see what happens. if it peters out they can come out in support of dear leader, if it gets worse they can calibrate their statements to the precise level of "well i don't approve of that but i think we should just let the voters decide" nonsense

i see basically no world in which they can push trump to resign even though i bet there are 67 people in the senate who, if they could cast anonymous votes, would have him tossed in a second

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Hahaha, well that's really saying something.

it kinda is. the big smoking guns were nixon semi vaguely talking about how they should pay off the burglers and stuff.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

hobbez posted:

Uhhhh is not a counter argument

That's because you didn't make an actual argument. You made a patently and obviously objectively absurd assertion which is worthy of nothing more than mockery.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pollyanna posted:

As mentioned before, this is the final exam for Fox News. If Trump avoids impeachment with this poo poo, it accomplished its job of making sure a GOP president never gets impeached again.

Oh the way things are going there’s no chance in hell he avoids impeachment the question is he if avoids conviction. He will if his support among the public can remain stable at his 40% level which will be Fox’s job to maintain.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1176887364347711488

well that's new

the DNI is leaking that he didn't do it, please don't throw him in jail - throw Bill Barr in jail instead

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it kinda is. the big smoking guns were nixon semi vaguely talking about how they should pay off the burglers and stuff.

I thought with the Nixon tapes it was less about the crime discussions and more about how it made clear, for the first time to a lot of Americans, that the president and his inner circle were all colossal assholes.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Nixon released doctored transcripts too. (I believe they inserted Nixon saying "but that would be a crime" or something else to limit his culpability)

The whistleblower's testimony is likely to contain even more damning poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also re: the bill barr coverup

https://twitter.com/brhodes/status/1176887571428909056

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Nixon released doctored transcripts too. (I believe they inserted Nixon saying "but that would be a crime" or something else to limit his culpability)

The whistleblower's testimony is likely to contain even more damning poo poo.

i have never heard of the doctoring, besides the famous 18.5 minutes that was erased which, presumably, had even more brazen criming than the rest

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i think the first part is right. anyone outside a deep red state gains nothing by opening their mouth now. they can just wait and see what happens. if it peters out they can come out in support of dear leader, if it gets worse they can calibrate their statements to the precise level of "well i don't approve of that but i think we should just let the voters decide" nonsense

i see basically no world in which they can push trump to resign even though i bet there are 67 people in the senate who, if they could cast anonymous votes, would have him tossed in a second

yeah, i doubt they will convict ever. at best, it will be alot closer than they would hope. i think if its very bad, some will try to push trump to resign at least behind closed doors. i don't think it will fizzle out at least for right now.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176880340427821056

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

is there a way to make this poo poo public. i mean can't the whistleblower just go full snowden/manning?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

yeah seriously, this is what they tried to release to block the need to release the whistleblower report

Like showing a disembodied leg to mollify the cops demanding to search your basement.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

Nixon tried to have his tapes transcribed for public release by a guy who had terrible hearing.

This would be Nixon releasing the tape himself claiming it cleared him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176888296863125512

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is there a way to make this poo poo public. i mean can't the whistleblower just go full snowden/manning?

the law specifically allows the whistleblower to contact congress, and they have done so

the report's coming out one way or another at this point, which is why the white house is going to try the hail mary of a "redacted" version

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

They do so at great peril to their safety and livelihood but I think today's events gives them a lot of cover to do so.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

this is literally the agenda, just have Fox/the republicans (tautology I know) say 'well ok sure he went right from 'you need this poo poo I have' to 'I need a favor' but he didn't directly say 'I AM DOING A QUID PRO QUO NOW' so who's to say?'

It's not gonna work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Don’t they want to testify and everything? I’m sure there’s a process for that, and I can understand why anything personal would be secret right now