Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Should I be concerned that Nunes is saying anything about this?

What’s he gonna do? Run down the national mall to the White House and tell them what they already know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’m not convinced that the report won’t be heavily redacted.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo the acting Intel director testifies publicly tomorrow and will throw Trump and co under the bus.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Lote posted:

The MIC knows it’s got a good situation going and won’t do anything to rock the boat. We will see if this immediately translates to alarm bells going off in the MIC and applying pressure to team R not to gently caress up the $900 billion per year in funding.

He's already loving up funding in order to have his wall built, and the opposition has been loudly announcing a willingness to use the same tools. Alarm bells are already going off.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

What’s he gonna do? Run down the national mall to the White House and tell them what they already know?

Be Trumps point man to spin it as best he can.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m not convinced that the report won’t be heavily redacted.

neither am i, but at this point it would be absolutely futile

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Rofl of course.

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1176932668879097856

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

I'm also thinking the hand-picked replacement has, miraculously, seen the pattern with people who are in Trump's orbit and decided he wanted no part of being another Flynn, or Papadopalous, or Lewandowski, or Cohen, or Manafort, etc.

Isn't that the career anti-hostage guy who got sent to Sweden about some rapper, or am I confusing positions?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I've heard criticism of Greta's looks elsewhere and it's baffling, she's a very good looking kid :confused:

e: nice new avatar Evilweasel :thumbsup:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Did Nunes then run back into the White House to tell daddy?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I still believe the house is more likely than not to successfully vote to impeach Trump before their impeachment is quickly taken out back by McConnell and shot, but I'm a little bit less optimistic now that the whistleblower complaint will be gigantic. Once we heard that he was a secondary source, it should have been obvious what the white house will do.

Whistleblower: "I heard from white house officials that Trump said 'crimes, crimes crimes!!!' "

Trump: "nuh-uh this anonymous unamerican coward is lying"

*no one comes forward to corroborate*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know if this is trying to read tea leaves or not, but that tweet from a few pages back, where Roberts randomly decided to blurt out that the SCOTUS isn't political, seems odd to me. Why now? Is it a subtle attempt to signal that the SCOTUS wouldn't protect Trump during impeachment proceedings?

It looks like the context of that is that he was at a Q&A session and someone else brought it up because it was in the news. So he probably wouldn't have said that at this moment without prompting, and since he had to say something he said some platitude about the idealized Court.

Flesh Forge posted:

I've heard criticism of Greta's looks elsewhere and it's baffling, she's a very good looking kid :confused:

Can't criticize her argument but gotta criticize somethin'

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Did Nunes then run back into the White House to tell daddy?

"Just a little more treason and I'll get that DNI job for sure" - Devin Nunes, probably.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

eviltastic posted:

He's already loving up funding in order to have his wall built, and the opposition has been loudly announcing a willingness to use the same tools. Alarm bells are already going off.

You’ll start to see cracks in the Senate Republicans when the MIC cuts lobbying and political funding.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I want to know, in a couple of weeks to a month or so, what this ends up looking like in terms of the odds that the Republicans lose the senate.

I am usually inured to hope these days but ... this is exactly the sort of clownshow that risks republicans too much to make circling the wagons save them again.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Trump lies about EVERYTHING.

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1176932668879097856

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1176933240277491713

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lmao at treating not knowing what Trump's talking about as a sign of incompetence.

"She showed me the statistics on gun deaths and I sharpied in a line going down! What more does she want?"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

"Just a little more treason and I'll get that DNI job for sure" - Devin Nunes, probably.

Can't be appointed acting DNI unless you've been Senate-confirmed for something else, and it's not a given that Nunes would be confirmed.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Flesh Forge posted:

Comes from the same place that calling Michelle Obama Chewbacca came from. Hateful partisans attack the things they understand, true or not. They're not going to attack the morality of her position, or go on a point by point intellectually exhaustive breakdown of the state of climate science and the claims that inform her position.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I still believe the house is more likely than not to successfully vote to impeach Trump before their impeachment is quickly taken out back by McConnell and shot, but I'm a little bit less optimistic now that the whistleblower complaint will be gigantic. Once we heard that he was a secondary source, it should have been obvious what the white house will do.

Whistleblower: I heard from white house officials that Trump said "crimes, crimes crimes!!!"

here's the problem. the attack on the whistle-blower was basically "well they only got this info second-hand, maybe it's not really that bad" but the white house released one transcript and it really was that bad

if the whistle-blower report had no direct knowledge the correct move would have been to release the report but not the call notes

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

Whistleblower: "I heard from white house officials that Trump said 'crimes, crimes crimes!!!' "

Except the transcript already confirms he did it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Can't be appointed acting DNI unless you've been Senate-confirmed for something else, and it's not a given that Nunes would be confirmed.

This is Devin Nunes, I don't think he knows that, considering he and Radcliffe were literally playing "The Apprentice" for Trump during the Mueller hearing.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

evilweasel posted:

here's the problem. the attack on the whistle-blower was basically "well they only got this info second-hand, maybe it's not really that bad" but the white house released one transcript and it really was that bad

if the whistle-blower report had no direct knowledge the correct move would have been to release the report but not the call notes

I was hoping that the whistleblower would be a primary source on the unreleased call where Trump became angry and shouted something insane at the Ukraine president.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think the talking points by the White House really hosed up by calling it an “explicit quid pro quo”. Kinda implies implicit quid pro quo, no?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't know if this is trying to read tea leaves or not, but that tweet from a few pages back, where Roberts randomly decided to blurt out that the SCOTUS isn't political, seems odd to me. Why now? Is it a subtle attempt to signal that the SCOTUS wouldn't protect Trump during impeachment proceedings?

The justices always say that at speeches, especially Roberts. “It’s just a coincidence that our major rulings always align 5-4 with republican policy preferences, we’re just neutral interpreters of the law!”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The only time he gave a poo poo about Puerto Rica

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

This is Devin Nunes, I don't think he knows that, considering he and Radcliffe were literally playing "The Apprentice" for Trump during the Mueller hearing.

True, but he tried to put Ratcliffe up for the permanent position and had to pull him.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

If we could x-ray his potato brain, I'd bet money on the fact that he remembered Ms. Russian and just conflated her with the Ukraine.

Why not? Putin does it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

goethe.cx posted:

The justices always say that at speeches, especially Roberts. “It’s just a coincidence that our major rulings always align 5-4 with republican policy preferences, we’re just neutral interpreters of the law!”

Yeah I suppose it isn't as noteworthy as I originally thought. It's hard for me to believe that if Trump ends up going down as hard as it looks like he might, though, that Roberts would stick his neck out for him.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Flesh Forge posted:

She's female. That's about all most people need to start calling her an ugly whore when she disagrees with them.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

True, but he tried to put Ratcliffe up for the permanent position and had to pull him.

Ok fair, I did forget that that was actually for the permanent position, and not acting.

Still I just like thinking that everything illegal/unethical Nunes has done since 2017 is because he thinks it'll get him the Director of National Intelligence position, because what other reason could he have, after all the humiliation he has suffered (especially recently) to keep running interference?

I mean, aside from some crimes he himself has done that we're unaware of.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
This week, on "to catch a thief"
https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1176933779753058307

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Memnaelar posted:

If we could x-ray his potato brain, I'd bet money on the fact that he remembered Ms. Russian and just conflated her with the Ukraine.

Why not? Putin does it.

HA! oh man, that is... rough.....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

I was hoping that the whistleblower would be a primary source on the unreleased call where Trump became angry and shouted something insane at the Ukraine president.

given that the white house tried to release the transcript so that they didn't have to release the whistleblower report the only reasonable conclusion is the report is worse

my point was, basically, was that your concern might have been valid - but now that we have the actual transcript we can rule it out and the worst case scenario is just that it's confirming what we already know

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1176934466679463936?s=19

Wendell
May 11, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

There is going to be a coffee table book one day once this nightmare is, I don’t want to save “over”, it will never be over, but at least not as active as it was before, that’s just going to be pictures of people reacting to poo poo Trump has said or done in their immediate presence. Like Buzz Aldrin’s bug eyes at Trump’s Space Force ramble, Trudeau looking down disgusted at Trump’s handshake attempt, that dude from the Al Smith dinner.

I’m telling you, there’s a whole book out there.

Don’t let someone else use your million dollar idea, make the book!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Reporter confronts Trump about Miss Universe being from Russia

Trump: Russia? Ukraine? Might as well be same country. *stares at Ukrainian President*

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1176928872346075137

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

I would hope you sent him pillows and sheets when he stayed at your hotel bud!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wouldn't bother reading anything that the press sec says for the next four months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is the loving Press Secretary seriously whining about not having a platform