Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I just remembered in his rookie season Mitch's teammates tried to make "Pretty Boy Assassin" a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
So, I didn't pay attention during free agency season at all, but I hadn't heard of either Preston Smith or Za'Darius Smith before the Packers signed them, so I figured they were maybe mid-tier guys who we paid a premium for because they have a little pass-rushing juice and we had to replace Clay Matthews and Nick Perry. I had heard of Adrian Amos before and thought he was an above-average safety, so I was most excited about him.

All three, but especially the Smiths, are playing at an amazing level. The Smiths are #3 and #4 overall in OLB rankings according to Pro Football Focus (according to Rotoworld). Like... were they this good on their previous teams? Did people think these were great signings? Are we paying them at a level equivalent to their performance? I feel very behind/surprised by all this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

surf rock posted:

So, I didn't pay attention during free agency season at all, but I hadn't heard of either Preston Smith or Za'Darius Smith before the Packers signed them, so I figured they were maybe mid-tier guys who we paid a premium for because they have a little pass-rushing juice and we had to replace Clay Matthews and Nick Perry. I had heard of Adrian Amos before and thought he was an above-average safety, so I was most excited about him.

All three, but especially the Smiths, are playing at an amazing level. The Smiths are #3 and #4 overall in OLB rankings according to Pro Football Focus (according to Rotoworld). Like... were they this good on their previous teams? Did people think these were great signings? Are we paying them at a level equivalent to their performance? I feel very behind/surprised by all this.

Basically what happened is Gutekunst gave them contracts appropriate to if they performed, with early outs if they didn't perform. They performed.

Preston was very solid for years on the Skins, just didn't get much attention because Washington is a bad team and an even worse franchise. Za'Darius apparently the Packers badly wanted to draft him and had had their eyes on him ever since Baltimore drafted him instead. Another big part of it is that the Smiths are bringing a great culture change to the locker room, which is elevating all the other players, and with Pettine coaching everything came together to be greater than the parts were individually.

I think we also have to give a ton of credit to the Packers scouting here between the draft hits of the past couple years and the FA signings.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Savage has been great too and Gary has come up big often when they blitz. The draft and free agent signings have been great. I'm excited to see if Burks looks good when he comes back.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hmm

https://twitter.com/RyanHeckmanFS/status/1176581263781707781?s=19

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Packers need him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Leon Einstein posted:

Packers need him.

Too expensive.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Too expensive.
Yeah, I know. I just worry that this receiving corp won't get better. Insisting that they need to get Graham the ball more baffles me.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ghosthorse posted:

does pfr track drops/ints against receiver target? all I can find is that in 2018 Treadwell went 35/53 receptions/targets so I'm not sure if they were all 100% his fault. I assume they were though.

probably 80% of those uncaught balls were his fault. it's really hard to emphasize enough how awful he is at just about everything

Before the season started I noted that behind the top two guys the Vikings were extremely thin at receiver and what do you know, now they're bringing back proven failures like Treadwell

SKULL.GIF posted:

Basically what happened is Gutekunst gave them contracts appropriate to if they performed, with early outs if they didn't perform. They performed.

Preston was very solid for years on the Skins, just didn't get much attention because Washington is a bad team and an even worse franchise. Za'Darius apparently the Packers badly wanted to draft him and had had their eyes on him ever since Baltimore drafted him instead. Another big part of it is that the Smiths are bringing a great culture change to the locker room, which is elevating all the other players, and with Pettine coaching everything came together to be greater than the parts were individually.

I think we also have to give a ton of credit to the Packers scouting here between the draft hits of the past couple years and the FA signings.

I'd like to call back to an argument I had during the offseason here where I told people that the defense had a chance to be really nice, between the FA pickups and the draft they had put a lot of assets there. Some people (beaten down from years of inadequate defensive play from the Packers) didn't want to believe it but yeah, so far the returns are almost startling.

It's unlikely to continue quite at this pace, but it's clear the defense is tremendously improved from where it was last year.

I hope this happens, I foolishly picked him over guys like Amari Cooper and Keenan Allen in fantasy and I would love to see him catching passes from someone other than Kirk. Seems like the Vikings are unlikely to be keen on it though, given their situation

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Diggs getting no looks has been a problem for at least 2 seasons and Cousins is not gonna suddenly change. But they would have to trade him 1-1 for another good receiver if they don't want to tank this season so I don't know how requesting a trade will actually go for him. Poorly?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the diggs trade rumors happen every season, ill believe it when it's more concrete

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

yeah they'd be insane to trade him

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The Diggs thing is media speculation based on other media speculation. It started on KFAN with a DJ wondering outloud who the Vikings would trade for Ramsey. None of this originating from Diggs or the Vikings, it's just an echo chamber whispering to itself.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

So what's the verdict on Mitch tonight, I missed his first half and really only saw him miss some throws left and then the bad int right

That first half td wasn't a td at the end either but was a great throw so gently caress it count it

He sucks. He missed a bunch of easy throws in the game and that pick near the end zone was horrific. Most of his passes were real short, safe stuff. And the 2 TDs were from the 1. He made one sort of good throw all night.

The fact that local media is playing up the guy for throwing 231 yards against one of the worst defenses in the league is terrible. As long as the Bears keep pretending that Mitch is a franchise QB, their ceiling is limited to an early playoff loss.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
To be fair I would say their only option would be to pretend for right now.

Good QBs on tolerable contracts don't hit the trade market for reasonable prices

Tell Nagy to make it idiot proof, and then don't pick up Mitch's 5th year option. He comes in his 4th year with competition and in a contract year.

If he wins and does well then you deal with whatever consequences may come with that lost last year of cost control.

If he sucks you let him walk and try and find a QB again.

Just don't put long term money into him

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Niwrad posted:

As long as the Bears keep pretending that Mitch is a franchise QB, their ceiling is limited to an early playoff loss.

PLAYOFFS?! You're talking about PLAYOFFS?!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Like mitch isn't goig to blunder his way into a mediocre season that last year and get $100 million to suck forever.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Bears roster has very little cost controlled, cheap, home developed talent due to loss of picks from Trubisky & Mack.

If they have to hit reset it might make Miami's tanking look good. I'm not even sure if - in some miracle universe - Trubisky got good how much they could compete in years 5 & 6 of him.

e:

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/chicago-bears/

Not as bad as I thought, 138 in 2021 isn't terrible but if they have to add a long term signing of Trubisky that number is pretty bad. Consider packers are roughly the same in 2021 and are paying Rodgers 33 mil a year. Just a lot of money already allocated and will need more for QB + likely FAs without much homegrown talent

adaz fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 25, 2019

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Trubisky is not as bad as Tebow, he's got that going for him.

Unfortunately, he needs an entire offensive gameplan built around him it seems. Tons of screens, short passes, throw in a healthy dose of wildcat. Make the defense stack the box so much when he does throw downfield it's hopefully wide open.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Tebow was better

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

adaz posted:

Bears roster has very little cost controlled, cheap, home developed talent due to loss of picks from Trubisky & Mack.

If they have to hit reset it might make Miami's tanking look good. I'm not even sure if - in some miracle universe - Trubisky got good how much they could compete in years 5 & 6 of him.

e:

Not as bad as I thought, 138 in 2021 isn't terrible but if they have to add a long term signing of Trubisky that number is pretty bad. Consider packers are roughly the same in 2021 and are paying Rodgers 33 mil a year. Just a lot of money already allocated and will need more for QB + likely FAs without much homegrown talent

It's definitely a predicament for the Bears. As others have said, you can tell the precise moment when Nagy abandons his gameplan because he doesn't trust Trubisky to not suck, and he's pretty clearly getting tired of having to mask his deficiencies. But at the same time, with the ludicrous trade that the team made to "get" Trubisky (lol he was going to fall to them and everyone knew it), Pace has a ton of political capital invested in him. If Trubisky washes out, then I have to think Pace is going to be on an absurdly short leash.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

R.D. Mangles posted:

what if mitch got a cool nickname like "mongoose mitch" maybe then he'd be really good

"the mongoose" leading another 4th quarter comeback
ol' mongoose slithering out of a tackle
here comes the mongoose doing his signature move, completing a five yard pass without throwing an interception

Please do not associate the noble mongoose with garbage QB Mitch Trubisky

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

anything coming from kfan is just media speculation because they aren't capable of actual radio discussion/breakdown

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

IcePhoenix posted:

anything coming from kfan is just media speculation because they aren't capable of actual radio discussion/breakdown

Are you implying the adult man who goes by Meatsauce isn't a reputable journalistic source?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

The only decent person on KFAN is Dan Cole because the man perfected trolling before people even realized it was a thing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

blackmongoose posted:

Please do not associate the noble mongoose with garbage QB Mitch Trubisky

I'm just spitballin here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Timby posted:

It's definitely a predicament for the Bears. As others have said, you can tell the precise moment when Nagy abandons his gameplan because he doesn't trust Trubisky to not suck, and he's pretty clearly getting tired of having to mask his deficiencies. But at the same time, with the ludicrous trade that the team made to "get" Trubisky (lol he was going to fall to them and everyone knew it), Pace has a ton of political capital invested in him. If Trubisky washes out, then I have to think Pace is going to be on an absurdly short leash.

Pace probably saves himself if he doesn't invest long term in Trubs admits a mistake and gets one more swing at QB. Next year and the year after either in the draft or Free agency.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

I think the other problem is that looking at how guys like fitz and keenum are doing bouncing around the league coaches are probably happier to invest more time into one lovely qb instead of rotating through several. That said, if Luck came back after a year off (not that I think he will) I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the Bear's situation gave him a shot.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Timby posted:

smh that trade.

I mean all is forgiven if they go deep into the playoffs despite mediocre QB play after the previous lost decade of the Bears but he definitely went all in this year & next. I do think there's the distinct possibility we'll be looking at Jacksonville 2.0 (except without gardner minshew) here in a few years. Really good defense starts to tail off and a QB that just sucks. RIP team

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's ok everyone, cam is gonna get cut by the Panthers and come be super healthy for the bears just like the manning/broncos run except with more success

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I feel like Cam’s days of being a rushing threat are at their end.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i forgot to post about this, which is important because i truly hate the lions, but in the 4th quarter of that lions eagles game on the eagles side of the field the lions went run-run-pass on literally every single drive.

i wonder why kerryon johnson is seeing the most 8 man fronts in the entire nfl. nobody could ever know.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1176992517222539264

lol good luck to the rest of you idiots

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

i forgot to post about this, which is important because i truly hate the lions, but in the 4th quarter of that lions eagles game on the eagles side of the field the lions went run-run-pass on literally every single drive.

i wonder why kerryon johnson is seeing the most 8 man fronts in the entire nfl. nobody could ever know.

Is play actionr eally that hard for teams to figure out orrrr

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

adaz posted:

Even if Mitch rebounds and produces at a "fine" level, I think the Bears are in a position where they could try to roll the dice on another young cheap QB to make it easier to retain talent elsewhere. Nagy is supposedly a good offensive coach, rookies are stepping in and producing at acceptable levels more and more frequently these days, paying Mitch would be back-breaking if he doesn't take a huge step forward.

If you can find a day two prospect you like (or even trade up into the first!) then I'd take the shot next year and groom him with the assumption he'll take over for Trubs, possibly sooner rather than later

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm just spitballin here.

What about the Titmouse?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

To be fair I would say their only option would be to pretend for right now.

Good QBs on tolerable contracts don't hit the trade market for reasonable prices

They don't need a good QB. Even someone as lovely as Case Keenum would be a big upgrade. Picking up the 5th year would be terrible but I also think going into the 4th year as the anointed starter would be dumb too. They have to either pick someone up in free agency to compete or draft someone they like.

Finding someone better than Mitch shouldn't be hard. Gardner Minshew was a 6th round pick and already looks way ahead of where Mitch is as a QB. Daniel Jones looked good. Heck, the Panthers threw in some guy who I had never heard of that looked better than Mitch has ever looked.

I guess I'm down on Mitch because I don't think it's a development issue. He's just not an accurate thrower. And I don't think that magically fixes itself. You either can make the throws or you can't.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

nirwad is right, it's time to bring Clayton Thorson home

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/1176845923365920768

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mitch "carpenter square" trubiski

Dorky.