Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You can see Mystique at 6.

I'll laugh if the Summer branch doesn't have Scott on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Summer branch will be Sinister, Doop, and Cable.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wonder if they’re doing a thing where three people are in charge every season.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Summer branch will be Sinister, Doop, and Cable.

I'm thinking Scott, Jean and Wolverine.

"Charles, what the hell! Why did you put me with HIM?"
"Look, the only two people left were Logan and SINISTER. And trust me, he REALLY hasn't gotten over his obsession with you two. I don't even need to read his mind to tell me that, he did it himself. Several. Times. Per. Day."

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
So, Kirbons, huh?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Not specifically related to this week's issue, but I was struck this morning about how much "House of X" sounds like "House Essex".

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
https://www.comicsbeat.com/powers-of-x-5-dawn-of-x-spoilers/ - full council spoilers here, from a digital press copy of PoX #5 that deliberately/accidentally revealed it.

CubanMissile posted:

It's hilariously short sighted that Emma still cares about money and contracts with this new society. Forge by himself could just go out tomorrow and start a telco named Forge Wireless that offers 100 Gb symmetrical wireless internet that covers the planet and be rich enough within a year to make every mutant on the island a millionaire if he wanted to.

Emma Frost cares about being put on an equal platform with the people she is going into partnership with, via a demonstrable show of good faith/trust. :colbert: And she's a goddamn Queen. Doing it all for the children! :allears:

The Forge and Emma scenes in this were amazing, and Kirbons is pure :3: Marauders really seems like it's gonna be huge. Hope Duggan can come close to Hickman's Emma though, because she is incredible. Loved loved loved how Silva drew her suit.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Metalshark posted:

https://www.comicsbeat.com/powers-of-x-5-dawn-of-x-spoilers/ - full council spoilers here, from a digital press copy of PoX #5 that deliberately/accidentally revealed it.

Emma Frost cares about being put on an equal platform with the people she is going into partnership with, via a demonstrable show of good faith/trust. :colbert: And she's a goddamn Queen. Doing it all for the children! :allears:

The Forge and Emma scenes in this were amazing, and Kirbons is pure :3: Marauders really seems like it's gonna be huge. Hope Duggan can come close to Hickman's Emma though, because she is incredible. Loved loved loved how Silva drew her suit.

Hyped about who Emma chose as her third seat on the council

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I don't know who else could be Xavier and Mags' third member but Moira, but that also seems too obvious.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Metalshark posted:

Has Kitty ever gone by Kate Pyride in mainline continuity? The name just makes me think of DOFP (and probably other alternate realities).

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cyclops got hosed yet again. Of course.

Seriously, why does everyone hate Cyclops so much?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

AceOfFlames posted:

Maybe he just didn't want the role after Utopia? Or couldn't fulfil it properly due to him being elsewhere doing something that's also important?

Fritzler posted:

Has Kitty ever gone by Kate Pyride in mainline continuity? The name just makes me think of DOFP (and probably other alternate realities).

I think it's definitely 616 Kitty, but she's probably been snarked at by Emma to use a "proper" name for Hellfire business. Or she did it to spite Emma, after her PA already had Kitty's business cards and stationery made up for her.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I just assume that Scott is more focused on being the field leader. Plus he can form a council of his own with his family if he wanted. Young and old Cable, Nate Grey, Rachel, Alex, Vulcan, his dad, and Hope.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Are people spoiling the issue or the leaked council?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

Are people spoiling the issue or the leaked council?

The council.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Also I guess (issue spoilers) this is why Jean has been acting "regressed" this whole time. Wonder who the other "Legacy" imprint Charles has done, though.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

It's hilariously short sighted that Emma still cares about money and contracts with this new society. Forge by himself could just go out tomorrow and start a telco named Forge Wireless that offers 100 Gb symmetrical wireless internet that covers the planet and be rich enough within a year to make every mutant on the island a millionaire if he wanted to.

I mean money might be pointless on Krakoa's new mutant fantasy island, but if Emma ever wants to leave, having a little money doesn't hurt in the rest of the world. Also while that Forge thing is true, that falls into the always-present comic problem of "Why doesn't Reed Richards fix [X]?"

Anyway I think it's pretty interesting that Prof X has replaced his mind twice, that could be hinting at all sorts of future stuff in regards to Xavier's actions. Also I know it'll probably be very important down the line but I just cannot bring myself to give a poo poo about all of the future stories. All the cool stuff is happening in the present or past, who cares about Technarchs and Dominions?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I hope we get to see the Phoenix fight the Phalanx

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My current working theory/wishful thinking? is that the..."Year Ten" we've been seeing in Powers of X is not the current timeline that we've been seeing in House of X. Emma here is just so.............consequential? Weighty? Compared to the unflappable debutante that she's been in House of X. It's not that she feels like a different character because she's definitely still Emma, but she feels like a different version of the same character if that makes any sense. At the least, the way that she's been behaving before now seems a bit like an act, in retrospect.

"One more time, then. For the children." is actually such a great Emma line.

The Namor conversation is interesting as well. According to him, Xavier doesn't really all of a sudden believe that he's better than the humans. So what's this really about?

"They will think we are doing one thing, but the truth is we are doing something altogether different." :hmmyes:

Oh and namedropping the Phoenix on that very last page sure did grab my attention right quick. Might be just a casual reference of a major cosmic player. Or.

Metalshark posted:

Yeah these are probably correct, as according to the second variant cover posted here.

The idea that Emma would nominate Kitty in order to watch over her and Sebastian is actually perfect as well.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

BrianWilly posted:

My current working theory/wishful thinking? is that the..."Year Ten" we've been seeing in Powers of X is not the current timeline that we've been seeing in House of X. Emma here is just so.............consequential? Weighty? Compared to the unflappable debutante that she's been in House of X. It's not that she feels like a different character because she's definitely still Emma, but she feels like a different version of the same character if that makes any sense. At the least, the way that she's been behaving before now seems a bit like an act, in retrospect.

"One more time, then. For the children." is actually such a great Emma line.

The Namor conversation is interesting as well. According to him, Xavier doesn't really all of a sudden believe that he's better than the humans. So what's this really about?

"They will think we are doing one thing, but the truth is we are doing something altogether different." :hmmyes:

Oh and namedropping the Phoenix on that very last page sure did grab my attention right quick. Might be just a casual reference of a major cosmic player. Or.

Yeah these are probably correct, as according to the second variant cover posted here.

The idea that Emma would nominate Kitty in order to watch over her and Sebastian is actually perfect as well.

That whole council needs to watched, good lord.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The leak makes perfect sense. Spring and Autumn are transitional. They want to live in Summer, but are prepared for Winter if need be.

Drawing parallels between Cerebro and the Phalanx is hurting my brain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Drawing parallels between Cerebro and the Phalanx is hurting my brain.

With the Phalanx eating everything on Earth, hopefully there's the database stored there too.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I started reading X-Factor while taking a break from UXM/New Mutants and I knew all about Scott being called a dick for abandoning his wife and kid, but boy, the rest of the original X-men look like bigger assholes pressuring him into working with him while he's at such an insane low point

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
I'm not calling this issue the weakest so far but unlike the others, that have some kind of action or a ton of new lore packed in, it felt like it was largely a set for the final issue spike.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Synthbuttrange posted:

With the Phalanx eating everything on Earth, hopefully there's the database stored there too.

This might be a moot point but doesn't x3 happen on some comet called Nibiru (PoX #2 page 20)? It just seems weird that would be brought up as a place accepted for a worldmind and not mention it again

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I loving love all the goofy expressions Xavier makes in Year 1. He’s so loving smug when he’s showing off to Forge about his Shiar data crystals.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I know, right? When Namor said line about how Xavier doesn't think he's better, all I could think is "coulda fuckin' fooled me"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's like Animal Farm, everyone is equal, just some are more equal than others.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

I know, right? When Namor said line about how Xavier doesn't think he's better, all I could think is "coulda fuckin' fooled me"

My guess: Namor would have never said this to Apocalypse or Magneto. In all of the potential futures it seems Xavier is actually the only mutant leader who doesn't radicalize. Despite how it might appear, I don't think he is in the current timeline either. I think he genuinely believes that, even with the measures he's taking, that this is about proving to the humans that they can be equals.

It reads to me Namor is telling us that he believes Krakoa-nation is flawed until Xavier sees things like he does (a king) or it's foreshadowing that something will happen to push Xavier in a more radical direction.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
A council of 12 . . . . interesting since "The Twelve" was one of these ancient long un-answered Claremont dangling plots that lasted for years that Alan Davis ultimately put a cap on. But since Alan Davis stories are never not retconned, well, with a few glaring exceptions as far as listed spoiled members, the overall purpose of the group does seem to be more in line with at least the spirit of the earlier clues. Of course this could just be me grasping

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Leak spoilers but i understand everyone’s place except nightcrawler. And Rachel is okay, but why would she be above cable or cyclops or jean?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Strange Poon posted:

It reads to me Namor is telling us that he believes Krakoa-nation is flawed until Xavier sees things like he does (a king)

While Hickman's said he doesn't want readers to have to go back and read his past stories to understand any of the plot, it's worth noting that Hickman has written Namor, and fairly effectively, from this sort of "look I'm a King I see the world in a different way than you 'heroes' might" perspective in the past.

Having said that... my read on Namor's words are that he's effectively saying "you're finally acting the way I've had to act for a long time, and bully for you on that score, but I don't think you're sincere." And that insincerity is a threat to Namor - it undermines his worldview. If Xavier can start acting like a Separatist Looking After His People and it turns out he doesn't have to be a raging douchenozzle about it, well, there goes Namor's excuse for being a raging douchenozzle. Heh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I didn't find myself particularly convinced by the Dominion stuff. So they're networked hyper-intelligences inside black holes. Why does that obligate the Phalanx to be obedient to them? They're said to have "godlike power", but there's no information given on how they exercise that power, or even how they communicate with their underlings from within a black hole's event horizon. Everything that's understood by the phrase "black hole", even with this "black holes are a network that can communicate with other black holes" thing, implies that anything inside a black hole would be unable to exercise power or even transmit information to entities outside the black hole. So what's the leverage that makes them the Boss of Space?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Billzasilver posted:

Leak spoilers but i understand everyone’s place except nightcrawler. And Rachel is okay, but why would she be above cable or cyclops or jean?

That is Jean there, going by Marvel Girl again. Rachel's gone by Prestige since X-Men Gold.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Android Blues posted:

I didn't find myself particularly convinced by the Dominion stuff. So they're networked hyper-intelligences inside black holes. Why does that obligate the Phalanx to be obedient to them? They're said to have "godlike power", but there's no information given on how they exercise that power, or even how they communicate with their underlings from within a black hole's event horizon. Everything that's understood by the phrase "black hole", even with this "black holes are a network that can communicate with other black holes" thing, implies that anything inside a black hole would be unable to exercise power or even transmit information to entities outside the black hole. So what's the leverage that makes them the Boss of Space?

This is comic book universe, the Dominions likely have some technological hand-wavey method of transmitting information from the other side of an event horizon.

It probably involves Kirbons.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Abroham Lincoln posted:

That is Jean there, going by Marvel Girl again. Rachel's gone by Prestige since X-Men Gold.

That name is wack as gently caress. Is her secondary mutation drinking Ciroc vodka at the club with Nicki Minaj?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cheap Trick posted:

This is comic book universe, the Dominions likely have some technological hand-wavey method of transmitting information from the other side of an event horizon.

It probably involves Kirbons.

Yeah, I guess. I assume we'll learn about that at some later date, but for now it feels like we're being told, "hey, these guys are effectively as powerful and important as the Abrahamic God", and then are just expected to go, "golly! That's a lot of power, how exciting!" without it actually making sense yet.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Surely a world-mind intelligence that has grown so dense it literally has collapsed space-time can find a way to communicate outside of that anomaly

But yeah this is totally set-dressing for the next two issues and i loved every page of this

Android Blues posted:

Why does that obligate the Phalanx to be obedient to them?

I imagine the relationship the Phalanx has to a dominion is the same as the Technarch to Phalanx: they have no idea that their purpose is actually serving something much larger than they are.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Sep 26, 2019

MrMegaPhoenix
Oct 11, 2012
Just a thought, but what if the whole focus on ascension, description of godlike beings comparable to "Capital G God" and information on the other side of black holes is all connected?

Perhaps unlocking the secret to what's on the "other side" (heaven/afterlife) is how the current Cerebro is able to restore souls. Either Cerebro or The Five might be connecting to the Black Hole Network thing at some point to make these complete resurrections.

There are quotes about machines not having souls, too much machinery (in a mutant too) and not enough soul to save, the backup copy of the elder presented to the Phalanx, etc.

Maybe the blue people want ascension because they don't have souls and that's their way of living after death? If you think about it with Moira, that is her power too. Keeping her soul after death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

This might be a moot point but doesn't x3 happen on some comet called Nibiru (PoX #2 page 20)? It just seems weird that would be brought up as a place accepted for a worldmind and not mention it again

I think this happens on future Earth. Nibiru/Nimbus was created for the purpose of a conversion to a world-mind; when the Phalanx show up, they literally say, "We ate your woldmind. They fought for sovereignty and lost, but we saw the whispering gods behind it," and they came to the source.