Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Does Audible data not copy over with Apple Quick Start? We've done 2 copies on my mother in laws phone and both times it skipped that (other 3rd party apps and their data seem fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome thanks!

We still doing pet portrait pics in here?

Is this in portrait mode? loving hell

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's literally no reason to jailbreak phones anymore. It's an incredibly bad idea for security reasons anyway.

I think Apple stole all the good jailbreak tweak ideas and built them into the OS normally anyway (like replying quickly to SMS from the notification screen. I feel like that used to be a JB tweak back in like... iOS 6?)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Computational bokeh is pretty solid these days

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Updated to iOS 13.1 and I wanted to double check something here, I’m not losing my mind in thinking the phone is super aggressive with app management now right? I’m on a 11 Pro and notice apps like Twitter and Apollo reloading. I’m not force closing the apps or anything at all.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Did 13.1 add Fusion for photos, or is that later this year?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Pants Donkey posted:

Did 13.1 add Fusion for photos, or is that later this year?

Later

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

mediaphage posted:

Computational bokeh is pretty solid these days

It's a shame the idea of Apple working with anyone on a cross product is simply not going to happen after a stream of bad products, but for years I've salivated at the idea of Apple and one of the traditional pro-camera manufacturers combining their tech. It's a literal drat shame that all of Apple's (and some of the other manufacturers, to be fair) software is thrown at hardware with tiny sensors, who knows what they could produce with huge sensors and amazing glass.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Mahoning posted:

I mean, the 11 Pro isn't THAT much bigger than the 7. But the 11 is.

I have big hands and my jump from an 8 to an 11, while I love it, has taken some getting used to with the size.

Yeah this is the comparison I was doing as well. I think the 11 Pro would be the better size, I just don't want to have to spend $400 to get that size. I guess I'll go into a store to actually go handle the phones before making the call.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Edit : also how can I stop my phone automatically adjusting the brightness?

Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Auto-Brightness

Though Apple's auto brightness is pretty smart, I'd suggest leaving it on. The way it works is, essentially, the brightness slider says "here's how bright I want the display to be when I'm in these lighting conditions," and it learns/remembers your preferences.

e: Regarding size chat, PhoneArena's size comparison tool is very helpful.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Ever since restoring my XS Max's backup to my new 11 Pro Max, "Hey Siri" has stopped working every morning. Works at night right before I got to bed, drop the phone on the charging dock, and in the morning when I ask for weather and news, no response. I have to turn "Hey Siri" off and on again to get it to work.

Siri has also been butt slow in this time too. Lots of "one moment," "Working on it," messages.

I really don't want to do restore as a new device and reinstall everything from scratch, that's always an enormous PITA.

This baby looks like a fun drunk.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a shame the idea of Apple working with anyone on a cross product is simply not going to happen after a stream of bad products, but for years I've salivated at the idea of Apple and one of the traditional pro-camera manufacturers combining their tech. It's a literal drat shame that all of Apple's (and some of the other manufacturers, to be fair) software is thrown at hardware with tiny sensors, who knows what they could produce with huge sensors and amazing glass.

Sony is doing some pretty cool stuff right now. A lot of it is natural evolution (these features would have shown up whether cell phones existed or not) but the shift to mirrorless means cameras and phones are getting a lot of parallel development. All the other big camera makers are getting into it too but I think this evolution caught them by surprise because they're busy playing catch up right now.

Not sure fake bokeh will ever be necessary because a traditional camera can do it easily, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added a "bokeh quality" adjustment to work around lenses that have "bad" blur.

I can see night mode becoming a big deal too.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

serebralassazin posted:

Anyone noticing cut outs with their 1st gen AirPods and iPhone 11 pro?

Brief and spotty when it does but yes. Also on calls.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

I really don't want to do restore as a new device and reinstall everything from scratch, that's always an enormous PITA.

Yeah I’ve been having a lot of small issues collect over the years. 25% of the time when I unlock the phone, it puts me on page 2 where I keep my hardly ever-used apps. So weird.

I’m about ready to wipe and reinstall, but the thought of setting up every loving setting and app again kills me. I just did it to my watch yesterday and that took a solid hour or two.

quote:

This baby looks like a fun drunk.

He’s a blast when he’s milk drunk. Happy squeals and laughs.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys ready for the iPhone 4 redux? Definitely tied for my favorite iPhone design, along with the X.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/25/kuo-2020-iphones-to-boast-redesigned-metal-frame/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gay Retard posted:

You guys ready for the iPhone 4 redux? Definitely tied for my favorite iPhone design, along with the X.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/25/kuo-2020-iphones-to-boast-redesigned-metal-frame/

Apple going back to perfection is good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Skeezy posted:

Updated to iOS 13.1 and I wanted to double check something here, I’m not losing my mind in thinking the phone is super aggressive with app management now right? I’m on a 11 Pro and notice apps like Twitter and Apollo reloading. I’m not force closing the apps or anything at all.

I have also noticed this on my XR, but I just sort of figured they were already done giving a gently caress about devices with <4 GB of RAM. Interesting that it's also happening on the 11 Pro, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Maneki Neko posted:

Does Audible data not copy over with Apple Quick Start? We've done 2 copies on my mother in laws phone and both times it skipped that (other 3rd party apps and their data seem fine).

If you mean the Audible app, it syncs your place in books server-side, but yeah, you have to manually download the ones you want again, since they can't assume you have enough storage.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Falco posted:

I’m looking at moving up from an iPhone 7 to an 11 or possibly stretching to an 11Pro. My biggest worry is that I have small hands and the newer phones all look enormous. How has it been for those of you with smaller hands and using the newer larger phones?

I went from an SE to the 11 Pro. In was also thinking about the 11, but considered the bigger size one of the downsides. I’m glad I had that thought because I don’t think a bigger phone than this would be very usable one handed for me. It’s fine, better than I expected, but in a dream world I’d rather it be a bit smaller so I didn’t have to shift my grip around as much.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Rolo posted:

Brief and spotty when it does but yes. Also on calls.

Coworker also said they're having issues. Thought mine were dying. Hopefully just a bug.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

Sony is doing some pretty cool stuff right now. A lot of it is natural evolution (these features would have shown up whether cell phones existed or not) but the shift to mirrorless means cameras and phones are getting a lot of parallel development. All the other big camera makers are getting into it too but I think this evolution caught them by surprise because they're busy playing catch up right now.

Not sure fake bokeh will ever be necessary because a traditional camera can do it easily, but I wouldn't be surprised if they added a "bokeh quality" adjustment to work around lenses that have "bad" blur.

I can see night mode becoming a big deal too.
Olympus is starting to do neat stuff as far as image recognition from what I’ve read. Like facial recognition for focus has been a thing for a while now, now they’re doing other stuff like birds, cars, planes, etc in motion.

I’m on M43 myself (the smallest of the major camera sensors) so all the stuff Apple is doing would help them the most. Like all the multi shot exposure combining magic, software stabilization (which would work on top of the hardware stabilization many M43 cameras have), and especially night mode.

breaks posted:

I went from an SE to the 11 Pro. In was also thinking about the 11, but considered the bigger size one of the downsides. I’m glad I had that thought because I don’t think a bigger phone than this would be very usable one handed for me. It’s fine, better than I expected, but in a dream world I’d rather it be a bit smaller so I didn’t have to shift my grip around as much.
2020 5.4" iPhone Pro or bust :v:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I just got a Sony A7R4 and... Apple UX/UI would really help here. Their menu is 120+ text entries with nonsensical names like “S+Q Settings” where the help text says “Sets the options for S+Q”. S and Q is like slow and quick - options for high and low frame rate video shooting but good luck figuring that out. Keyboard entry is still T9 with a joystick even though it’s a touch screen. Gawd.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Ever since I installed the 13 beta on my phone, I'm on the public 13.1 now, I have been getting random resprings. I'll be in the middle of playing a game or reading the forums and my phone will jump back to the lock screen. I'm on an 8+. This morning I erased everything and then restored from iCloud and have already had two or three resprings today. Any other suggestions on what I can try before I contact Apple support?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

serebralassazin posted:

Coworker also said they're having issues. Thought mine were dying. Hopefully just a bug.

Mine started doing it on 13.0 with my 6s then the problem carried over to my 11 pro. I’m also getting random tech noise and brief cutouts when listening to music. My pods are 2.5 years old so hopefully they’ll last longer than this cause poo poo.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
What’s the consensus on the clear case? I’ve used one every year since the leather cases launched but I love the midnight green color so I’m conflicted.

Had the battery case for the XS and I’ll never go silicone case. The peeling was awful.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

loudog999 posted:

Ever since I installed the 13 beta on my phone, I'm on the public 13.1 now, I have been getting random resprings. I'll be in the middle of playing a game or reading the forums and my phone will jump back to the lock screen. I'm on an 8+. This morning I erased everything and then restored from iCloud and have already had two or three resprings today. Any other suggestions on what I can try before I contact Apple support?

Fresh iOS install maybe?

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So I am dumb. How do I enlarge a picture in messages with iOS13? Losing 3D Touch has me confused?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

So I am dumb. How do I enlarge a picture in messages with iOS13? Losing 3D Touch has me confused?

Tap on it?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Anyone having issues with Bluetooth audio playback? It's been cutting out a lot in my car and I'm wondering if it's related to the 11 Pro, iOS 13 or both.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
FWIW, the 13.1 update fixed my Instagram timestamp issue. Weird.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Minidust posted:

Anyone having issues with Bluetooth audio playback? It's been cutting out a lot in my car and I'm wondering if it's related to the 11 Pro, iOS 13 or both.

Yeah, it's happened a couple times on my 11, but i chalked it up to worse reception.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I was asking about this earlier but with AirPods. Hopefully it's just an iOS 13 thing and not some hardware issue with the 11/pros.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

serebralassazin posted:

I was asking about this earlier but with AirPods. Hopefully it's just an iOS 13 thing and not some hardware issue with the 11/pros.

I haven’t noticed it with my 11 pro max and my first gen AirPods. I’ve been using them for bunch of hours on 13.1.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

serebralassazin posted:

It happened on my 13 iPhone 6s days before I got my 11p so unless my AirPods are just now coincidentally dying I think it’s 13.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Trip report: The iPhone 11 is the best iPhone made since the se. Full stop it’s drat near perfect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been getting enough pops on my Powerbeats Pro that it seems like an issue, but not enough that it's a problem, as such.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm on the 11 pro. i check for the 13.1 update in 'software update', but it tells me there is no update.

what's going on here? i've restarted, turned off automatic updates, turned them back on, charged, uncharged, nothing. i'm on wifi as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

abelwingnut posted:

i'm on the 11 pro. i check for the 13.1 update in 'software update', but it tells me there is no update.

what's going on here? i've restarted, turned off automatic updates, turned them back on, charged, uncharged, nothing. i'm on wifi as well.

Tim saw the quality of your posts

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Used my phone religiously today from 6:30am-11:00pm. Battery is at 46 percent. These new phones rival my watch battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Used my phone religiously today from 6:30am-11:00pm. Battery is at 46 percent. These new phones rival my watch battery.

What’s your favorite holy book app?