Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Why is Warren skipping the climate debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
My feeling is that besides Bernie, Warren and Yang have their hearts in the right place. Yes, Yang. That isn't to say that Yang is a good choice - in fact he's pretty bad in some ways I think - but at least he gets that something has gone badly wrong and we're not going to fix it with "tinkering around the edges".

Warren has some good pros. She legit pushed back on the Obama administration and she did a lot of good work that she didn't grandstand on. I respect that. I just don't think she's Good Enough.

Also the reality is that elections are, at least in part, a culture war - and the working class, not the middle-manager technocratic white-collar wonks, is who needs a victory here.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I don’t know anybody who actually likes Biden. It’s purely worries about electability and a belief that defeating Trump is the only thing that matters that are propping him up. The only thing I’ll give Biden credit for is he isn’t totally ignoring the Midwest like Hilldawg did. I don’t think that’ll be enough to unseat an incumbent president, though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Biden is liked by people who are legit fans of Obama and Obama-era policy. Also probably by the white working class midwest folks who flipped to Trump in 2016.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I don’t know anybody who actually likes Biden.

I do. They're older people (usually men) who, "don't get why people make an issue over him being creepy" or "think those other ones are too extreme."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Looks like its time for a new Senator :v:

https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1174799108118368264

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Add her to the pile of new Senators we need.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao she is so nakedly two-faced.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The most vocal Biden backer I know is a black woman.

But she does live in a hellishly red part of the country.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Good Krugman piece about Trump's war on California, and the general conservatarian belief that California is a Mad Max hellscape wasteland: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/opinion/trump-california.html

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Jaxyon posted:

The most vocal Biden backer I know is a black woman.

Same.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Most of the doctors at the hospital I work at drive Tesla's. A few of them have Biden stickers on them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kill Bristol posted:

I know a couple people who work in SF regional politics, and evidently Yee has always had a reputation as something of a slimeball who does shady poo poo. Still, they're pretty shocked that instead of getting busted for getting campaign contributions from illegal sources or something similar, he was loving helping to sneak MANPADS into the country. Jesus. Know when to quit Leland.

Motherfucker cost the Dems their supermajority too.

This is honestly the best california scandal ever.

I hope they do a movie on leland yee shrimp boy and the MILFS.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

You say this like the other senator we have is any better.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just hire DeLeon to run against whoever you actually want to win the Senate seat and he'll throw the race a month or two in. Easy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean I know people talk about false flags and poo poo but Kevin DeLeon siphoning off all the "gently caress Feinstein" energy and then just straight giving up after the jungle primary feels like a conspiracy. I know it probably wasn't, but it feels like one.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got so sad when it dawned on me DeLeon didn't intend to actually run. I was so hopeful.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
California Politics Thread: Sacramento has a pretty good train museum

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

California Politics Thread: Sacramento has a pretty good soon to be underwater train museum

ftfy

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Underwater train museum sounds badass...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sydin posted:

:getin:

:hai: I was waffling between Warren and Sanders in the very early goings but then Warren came out and said "no guys capitalism actually works, it's just corrupt people taking advantage of a good system!" and now it's Bernie or death.

Yeah Warren has been moving more towards the right and fundraising from wallstreet going 'hey im not actually gonna rock the status quo just to reassure ya'll' type stuff. Shes backpedaled on medicare4all, no real plans to do anything, and is coming more and more with pelosi-esque statements of "we're capitalists, that's just how it is!" just tweak the edges a little bit! Also conveniently ignoring all climate change and media just throwing absolute soft-ball poo poo. I have no faith she would accomplish anything substantial that isn't just radical status quo support with a few tweaks

it's absolutely Bernie or bust, and since this is california, I'll just write-in Bernie in the national anyways with no risk.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yesssssss.

quote:

PG&E Corp. shares dropped as much as 10% after bondholders and wildfire victims teamed up to offer a competing recovery plan for the bankrupt California utility that would all but wipe out its stockholders.

If a judge lets the coalition’s plan go forward, PG&E could lose control of the bankruptcy and its own reorganization plan, which envisions letting stockholders keep a significant stake.

PG&E was down 91 cents at $11.29 a share around 10 a.m. PDT and traded for as little as $10.96.

The bondholders — including Elliott Management Corp. and Pacific Investment Management Co. — and the committee representing fire victims said their new proposal includes a $24-billion settlement to pay all claims from fires blamed on PG&E’s equipment. That’s billions of dollars more than PG&E, which is the parent of Pacific Gas & Electric, has offered to those who lost loved ones and homes in some of the most destructive fires in California history.

The proposal, filed Thursday, adds new complexity to the biggest utility bankruptcy in U.S. history. The creditors and wildfire victims are seeking to end the San Francisco-based company’s exclusive right to come up with a plan so they can put forth their own.

It’s unusual for a bankrupt company to lose that priority, and Judge Dennis Montali rejected an earlier effort to supplant PG&E. But this time the coalition “likely has a good shot at ending the utility’s control,” said Negisa Balluku, a litigation analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. “The competing plan may more efficiently solve the case’s key objective of compensating wildfire victims,” she wrote in a new report.

Keep it up, I'm close.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yesssssss.

Keep it up, I'm close.

Just remember that while gently caress PG&E, absolutely, and generally gently caress wall street too; a huge amount of PG&E's shares are held by retirement funds via mutual funds. Individuals, union retirement funds, state retirement funds, they're all taking a hit.

It's well deserved to wipe out the shareholders because their representatives in the form of PG&E's shareholder-elected officers hosed everything up for decades, it's certainly not something to smile about. Someone has to eat poo poo here and it's still not the actual executives that put profit over safety, and it's also not the politicians that set up PG&E's public/private bullshit status in the first place either.

So shareholder liability is just the least worst option among nothing but bad results representing another step down a path of a lot of people being hurt by mismanagement of CA's energy infrastructure.

And note that this is a collaboration between victims and bondholders, and bondholders may hold senior debt and no voting rights but they're still every bit as much members of the investor class that was happy to take profits from PG&E for decades while it engaged in long-term deliberate negligence. IMO the bondholders should be wiped out too, there's no reason to give them a free pass.

quote:

The new bondholder proposal offers $28.4 billion in new money in exchange for 58.8% of the equity in the reorganized PG&E. Under an earlier proposal, creditors had offered financing in exchange for an 85% to 95% stake in the new company.
This is horseshit. It's a naked attempt by institutional bondholders to grab a huge chunk of PG&E's ownership while in chapter 11, which should turn into a massive profit in the future when the company presumably emerges from bankruptcy.

The actual good way forward would be to wipe out both bondholders and stockholders and convert the entire company into government-run local and state level institutions.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 20, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope part of the plan is hanging the board by their ankles and letting the fire victims grab whatever falls out of their pockets.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You make many valid points. The shareholders are getting punished for a couple of decades (at least) of a nonexistent safety culture, decisions over which they had little power. Nonetheless, that safety culture helped raise the profits that showed up on dividends up until 2017. The shareholders earned extra money from PG&E's gross negligence.

Shifting that money from the shareholders to the victims seems to me entirely appropriate. And yeah, the bondholders are absolutely as complicit as the shareholders. I still want PG&E to be burned to the ground and the earth salted. This is an unreasonable desire. It partly stems from the road outside my house being dug up three successive times in a year to patch the pipes, because each time apparently they'd done it wrong. My town had pipes as dangerous as San Bruno's, and PG&E dragged their feet on fixing it until government pressure got involved. The non-personal part of it stems from years and years and years of watching PG&E not giving a drat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CPColin posted:

I hope part of the plan is hanging the board by their ankles and letting the fire victims grab whatever falls out of their pockets.

https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsro...onal_excellence

PGE's been cycling out the people who were responsible. Unless the state decides to indict them for something, they're already scott-free. By the time fire victims get anything, the people running PG&E will not be the ones that were responsible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You make many valid points. The shareholders are getting punished for a couple of decades (at least) of a nonexistent safety culture, decisions over which they had little power. Nonetheless, that safety culture helped raise the profits that showed up on dividends up until 2017. The shareholders earned extra money from PG&E's gross negligence.

Shifting that money from the shareholders to the victims seems to me entirely appropriate. And yeah, the bondholders are absolutely as complicit as the shareholders. I still want PG&E to be burned to the ground and the earth salted. This is an unreasonable desire. It partly stems from the road outside my house being dug up three successive times in a year to patch the pipes, because each time apparently they'd done it wrong. My town had pipes as dangerous as San Bruno's, and PG&E dragged their feet on fixing it until government pressure got involved. The non-personal part of it stems from years and years and years of watching PG&E not giving a drat.

Really understandable on all points. I just think victims here are being exploited by the bondholders, who are willing to offer them a higher cap on damages (note, this is not guaranteed money, it's just a fund from which attempts to get damages can be drawn from, should courts award them, which is definitely not guaranteed) in exchange for a huge windfall money grab for the bondholders.

In bankruptcy the bondholders and the stockholders are often at loggerheads, because typically bondholders have senior debt. It's normal for stock to crash to zero and stockholders to eat poo poo because what remains of the assets of a bankrupted company is entirely claimed by the bondholders. It's in their interest to gently caress over the stockholders maximally in order to see as much of their own debt paid back to them as possible, and they're trying to use a deal with the victims to get the bankruptcy court give them the power to counter the company's own proposals in a way that benefits themselves.

So basically, the only silver lining here is that maybe there will be more money in the pot for victims to try to claim. But the big dark cloud is that it's just one group of investors seeking to make a pile of money at the expense of another group of investors.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So is this public banking act going to result in the creation of a CA state bank which will accept retail deposits? Will I be able to open a checking account with the state bank, so my deposits are used for public works projects?

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bawfuls posted:

So is this public banking act going to result in the creation of a CA state bank which will accept retail deposits? Will I be able to open a checking account with the state bank, so my deposits are used for public works projects?

My understanding is that it’ll start at the municipal level and focus on managing municipal budgets. It’ll take years to get that chartered and operating.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm from North Dakota and we have a state Bank baby. Woooo

https://bnd.nd.gov/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In my transition while rebuilding i swear the entire fuvking syreets trees were wrapped in power lines literally not a single cutback on either side for the entire street. loving still that way a YEAR after as of a couple months ago when i moved out

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Had a real good laugh just now listening to the SF City Insider's interview with Suzy Loftus. She begins by talking about interning at the city attorney's office after she heard the new person in that role was "really going places."

"...and she [kamala harris] talked a lot about the role of the prosecutor being the only person in court who stood up for justice and had an obligation to do what's right, and too often people who care about justice identify as defense attorneys..."

wow, how strange, i wonder why that is, well anyway vote for me to make sure people stay in jail

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Kamala Harris is what the median dem senator probably should be, but I am glad she will not be president.

In other news, I don't think this thread has mentioned this much: while SB50 didn't get passed, it did in fact get a lot easier this past legislative session to build ADUs (Additional Dwelling Units, basically like a cottage in the backyard with it's own publumbing, etc.) It's not enough, but it is a pretty significant step towards getting more housing.

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 26, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kill Bristol posted:

Kamala Harris is what the median dem senator probably should be, but I am glad she will not be president.

In other news, I don't think this thread has mentioned this much: while SB50 didn't get passed, it did in fact get a lot easier this past legislative session to build ADUs (Additional Dwelling Units, basically like a cottage in the backyard with it's own publumbing, etc.) It's not enough, but it is a pretty significant step towards getting more housing.

Ive seen a great uptick in people building ADUs. I think its great. Adus are nice because they are somewhat nimbyproof

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ive seen a great uptick in people building ADUs. I think its great. Adus are nice because they are somewhat nimbyproof

I lived in one in Los Gatos for like $800 when I was 18. Cool family, and they paid me to take care of their chickens + let me have the eggs when they were out of town.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

They are literally YIMBY, it's nice!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The North Tower posted:

I lived in one in Los Gatos for like $800 when I was 18. Cool family, and they paid me to take care of their chickens + let me have the eggs when they were out of town.

They are amazing. Literally recycling backyards into homes. And the old fucks LOVE the income.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Kill Bristol posted:

Absolutely not, she's totally in the thrall of rich finance and was fine with making GBS threads on the powerless to advance herself. She's a Republican - or would be if our democracy worked properly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Telling people they can live in a glorified shed in someone's back yard for greater rent than what like 90% of the entire goddamned country pays for a real apartment is absolutely not a substitute for reasonable housing policy whatsoever. What the hell are you people smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sundae posted:

Telling people they can live in a glorified shed in someone's back yard for greater rent than what like 90% of the entire goddamned country pays for a real apartment is absolutely not a substitute for reasonable housing policy whatsoever. What the hell are you people smoking?

Nobody said it was a substitute.

But it does represent densification, which is absolutely critical. And the state forcing cities to allow it is one step among many in reducing the ability of cities to totally stonewall against densification.