Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ham posted:

He is stated outright in the body of the call and presumably the complaint, however. Wouldn't that be sufficient to project "an appearance of bias"?

oh i am sure. i am sure he is deeply involved. i just don't know by how much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
This is all moving absurdly fast. Like, holy poo poo. Some of this has to be intentional to prevent the GOP from getting their ducks in a row and developing a cohesive response.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

How has he still not deleted this tweet?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Is the whistleblower roger stone?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

This is all moving absurdly fast. Like, holy poo poo. Some of this has to be intentional to prevent the GOP from getting their ducks in a row and developing a cohesive response.

Or the GOP is just profoundly stupid. Your choice.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Paradoxish posted:

I think it's more likely that people are just getting sick of dealing with Trump's poo poo - he's just repulsive on a personal level. People have breaking points, and I think a lot of them have been hit in the last week.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Deep down inside he knows he's sold his soul. He's still a boy in a bar swallowing cigarette butts for attention and tips.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

because the second trump implodes fully or loses election. graham slam his dagger into him. Et tu, Graham.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Paradoxish posted:

Turns out the whistleblower from the Intelligence Community is better than the Trump team at spreading information / disinformation. Who knew?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
This poo poo is gonna take decades to fix

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1176879109462474752

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Otteration posted:

Or the GOP is just profoundly stupid. Your choice.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Paradoxish posted:

Given those looked-into-Chernobyl reactions we discussed earlier, I fully suspect that the Dems hit the gas once they actually read the thing. They want the body of it to be public knowledge so the public understands why an impeachment vote is happening, like, Friday after next.

I am absolutely confident now in saying that the impeachment trial will hit the Senate before the end of the year. Where it goes from there, well, we need to wait till morning to understand how big this is.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

While this is likely true from the Dem perspective, I think the opposite is also true and that Republicans want everything out in the open ASAP so they know all the facts and can start spinning the story without new damaging info coming out.

And honestly? While I don’t think it’s a winning strategy with how much things are Mattering, it’s probably the best strategy for the White House and the GOP.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Given those looked-into-Chernobyl reactions we discussed earlier, I fully suspect that the Dems hit the gas once they actually read the thing. They want the body of it to be public knowledge so the public understands why an impeachment vote is happening, like, Friday after next.

I am absolutely confident now in saying that the impeachment trial will hit the Senate before the end of the year. Where it goes from there, well, we need to wait till morning to understand how big this is.

how many have you seen outside jackie? not being a dick. i have just been at work.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think it's more likely that people are just getting sick of dealing with Trump's poo poo - he's just repulsive on a personal level. People have breaking points, and I think a lot of them have been hit in the last week.

Yea I do think there is some strategy around knowing the party will defend trump to the death and wanting to hit hard before they close ranks, and general inept republicans unprepared for the storm, but I gotta assume most of this is people seeing the ship in real danger of sinking and just not liking or respecting trump enough to drown with him.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

What's also bizarre to me is that the GOP has barely even put up token resistance to this. Could be that they were caught with their pants down, but it almost feels like a tacit admission that they're afraid of impeachment dragging them all through the mud, and would rather get through this all fast before it has a chance to affect downballot elections next year.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

In all fairness he/she is gonna be very hard to employ in a few days here probably.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes things happen quickly tax:

https://i.imgur.com/titDHRu.mp4

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
remember, the gears of justice turn very slowly, and one must be patient as they s ... oh, there's a turbo button? lol i never realized, please press that bad boy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how many have you seen outside jackie? not being a dick. i have just been at work.

A few Dems throughout the day have put out statements of "holy poo poo this is bad", and, I know it's kind of a terrible source but Erick Erickson also said that reactions from Republicans who went to a luncheon immediately after seeing the report was basically like they were seeing the bow of the Titanic slipping under water and realizing that all the lifeboats had already left the ship.

Also :mitt: was Highly Concerned, and Ben's Asse made some noise today about it.

E: seriously someone edit that emote so that he says CON CERNED instead of LOVE ME

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 26, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1177070435084722176?s=19

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sexpig by night posted:

Yea I do think there is some strategy around knowing the party will defend trump to the death and wanting to hit hard before they close ranks, and general inept republicans unprepared for the storm, but I gotta assume most of this is people seeing the ship in real danger of sinking and just not liking or respecting trump enough to drown with him.

Their fuckup with leaking all the talking points to the dem leadership accidentally this morning really, really hosed them over tactically. Just holy gently caress at that, the one day where a unified coherent messaging strategy was vitally important, they clown car it

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because the second trump implodes fully or loses election. graham slam his dagger into him. Et tu, Graham.

Comedy timeline: Graham comes out as the whistleblower, also as the writer of the 'we're opposing trump from the inside' poo poo editorial that was published in the nyt, begins his redemption arc

epilogue: graham finally finds someone to eat dinner with him once

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 26, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Otteration posted:

Sometimes things happen quickly tax:

https://i.imgur.com/titDHRu.mp4

I love big cats. I spent 10 years living in an area where cougars absolutely lived and we often saw a sign and I always wanted to see one of the wild but generally that comes with being eaten by one.

I wish the world was more wild

Thanks for coming to my Tedx talk

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

*yawn* im up im up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zophar posted:

What's also bizarre to me is that the GOP has barely even put up token resistance to this. Could be that they were caught with their pants down, but it almost feels like a tacit admission that they're afraid of impeachment dragging them all through the mud, and would rather get through this all fast before it has a chance to affect downballot elections next year.

I said this a few pages ago, but I really do think that Republicans have been blindsided by this. This came out of nowhere over the course of barely two weeks, which is just an insane timeline for a political scandal. It's not even related to any of the other ten thousand scandals that Trump is involved in aside from being vaguely in the same genre of corruption.

People keep trying to compare Trump to Nixon, but this is absolutely nothing like Watergate. The Russian collusion and later obstruction angles were the closest thing this administration has had to Watergate, and those took too long to play out and ultimately fizzled anyway. This isn't something that's been brewing for years, it literally happened two months ago.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

I said this a few pages ago, but I really do think that Republicans have been blindsided by this. This came out of nowhere over the course of barely two weeks, which is just an insane timeline for a political scandal. It's not even related to any of the other ten thousand scandals that Trump is involved in aside from being vaguely in the same genre of corruption.

I think you're right.

This has gone from another thing on the pile to impeachment in the matter of less than 72 hours.

Polling hasn't come in yet to dictate how the GOP should respond.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

OAquinas posted:

Report is declassified?

OK God--LET ME HAVE IT

What movie is that, it definitely looks familiar. Poltergeist II?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Kevyn posted:

What movie is that, it definitely looks familiar. Poltergeist II?

Real Genius

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God I really hope no one shoots the whistleblower

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

A few Dems throughout the day have put out statements of "holy poo poo this is bad", and, I know it's kind of a terrible source but Erick Erickson also said that reactions from Republicans who went to a luncheon immediately after seeing the report was basically like they were seeing the bow of the Titanic slipping under water and realizing that all the lifeboats had already left the ship.

Also :mitt: was Highly Concerned, and Ben's Asse made some noise today about it.

E: seriously someone edit that emote so that he says CON CERNED instead of LOVE ME

erikson is an interesting one, he is never trump but he defends the fucker alot. so i kinda take his words with value.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1177069305357381632

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Paradoxish posted:

People keep trying to compare Trump to Nixon, but this is absolutely nothing like Watergate. The Russian collusion and later obstruction angles were the closest thing this administration has had to Watergate, and those took too long to play out and ultimately fizzled anyway. This isn't something that's been brewing for years, it literally happened two months ago.

It's like if watergate had a 550 million dollar payoff at the center of it and not bumbling gently caress up g gordon liddy trying to break into a condo. Plus whatever happened there was somewhat succesfully covered up to the extent that a lot of things about the official story don't really fit together fully. This, at it's simplest charges, has all the complexity of a five piece lego set and the coverup has been absolutely atrocious from day one

One angle that still has largely been neglected though you hear a bit about it in the longer form stuff on this so far: the original angle for Russian interference in US elections in 2016 was 1) getting rid of the sanctions and 2) changing US policy wrt crimea in Ukraine. In a real way, this is just another chapter in the original probe. And by the way, one of the very first acts Trump did after being elected was end formal american material and diplomatic support for the Ukranian govt's opposition to the Russian annexation. This is both that betrayal of an American ally coming back to roost as well as the end result of Putin's meddling and Manafort's original absolute corruption. Plus, because Trump is an idiot with zero understanding of foreign policy or american positions, he almost certainly doesn't realize that the ukranians he's trying to organize crimes with are the very same ukranians he betrayed on day one.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

CuddleCryptid posted:

They just needs to avoid 5th avenue and they're good

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Paradoxish posted:

This is all moving absurdly fast. Like, holy poo poo.

poo poo’s like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnVjqQvya7c

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
The Hill is just so terrible.
Let's play Find The Mistake!

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1177070539782815744

Edit: Looks like they still have some (much belated) editor control.

(They attributed a screed from Kevin McCarthy to Adam Schiff. Common mistake, I know)

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 26, 2019

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Paradoxish posted:

I think it's been like this for awhile it's just that the public hasn't really thought Trump would be held to account. Now that it looks like he will, it gives everything about this scandal and all these other scandals coming out some teeth. The GOP can't handle actual scandal for long or under great pressure because they have no real moral convictions. They don't believe in themselves, they don't believe in others, they don't believe in this country.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If the whistleblower complaint is declassified, can’t one of the reps on the House Intelligence Committee just tell us all what’s in it?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

FizFashizzle posted:

I think you're right.

This has gone from another thing on the pile to impeachment in the matter of less than 72 hours.

Polling hasn't come in yet to dictate how the GOP should respond.

it's probably also the right event/right time to effect the upcoming election. senate and house challengers are just now being put forward to run the primaries. many first impressions of these folks will be how they react to trump obviously breaking the law.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Mahoning posted:

If the whistleblower complaint is declassified, can’t one of the reps on the House Intelligence Committee just tell us all what’s in it?

They may not know what exactly was redacted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

CuddleCryptid posted:

The whistleblower seems genuinely concerned about this eventuality. :ohdear:

Paradoxish posted:

And likely happened because Trump was emboldened after the failure of Mueller.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't have video offhand but I understand that Schiff was looking pretty harrowed after reading the report. Certainly his comments were brief and came across as genuinely shocked.