Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/KojoRTE/status/1177119672283664384

The membership: An end to the camps! Votes for all! Peace, love and solidarity for all humankind!

Diane Abbott: No

The Home Secretary transformation curse begins to take hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The Home Secretary transformation curse begins to take hold.

I mean unless we did Norway EU FoM WOULD end. That's just a fact.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Answers Me posted:

So, uh... what's happening today?

Stolen from reddit:

Todays Events

JRM will move that the HoC shall rise until Thursday next week to allow time for the Conservative Party conference from this Sunday to Wednesday. AS noted above, if this motion is not passed and the Tories are not granted such time, it sets a poor precedent for the future where parties may deny each other the time to do so.

There will then be a much woollier general debate on the "Principles of Democracy and the Rights of the Electorate" which seems like a custom made debate for creating election fodder clips.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If Boris wins using an anti-Parliament message I'm holding Confused.com and any other brand that references the 'confusion' of the situation in their marketing fully responsible. :colbert:

gently caress boomer advertising in general too. If I see one more multinational conglomerate paint themselves as a down to earth, no nonsense alternative to 'elite' independent or millennial companies I'll poo poo in a bin. I don't care how pleasant Sarah Millican's voice is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

My mother advanced the opinion that Johnson is trying to get them to VONC him before he has to go get an extension. He's said he'd rather die in a ditch than not deliver; I think if we are in the EU on 1st January then he will be found dead in a ditch soon after he leaves office, with a couple of .22 rounds in his skull. There's billions riding on this for his backers, and nobody with billions got them by being pleasant.

Na.

.22 is far too small a calibre to be reliable. 5.56mm NATO

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

But neither doing, nor not doing, a Norway is Labour policy, You can’t state as a fact that the cat is alive if you don’t look inside the box...

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/bbcnews/status/1177101588906807297?s=21

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

AceClown posted:

if this motion is not passed and the Tories are not granted such time, it sets a poor precedent for the future where parties may deny each other the time to do so.

:decorum: after yesterday's performance? Though considering how this rollercoaster of a thread was reacting to Labour's before it got overshadowed, maybe giving the Tories their turn is worthwhile.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Steve2911 posted:

If Boris wins using an anti-Parliament message I'm holding Confused.com and any other brand that references the 'confusion' of the situation in their marketing fully responsible. :colbert:

gently caress boomer advertising in general too. If I see one more multinational conglomerate paint themselves as a down to earth, no nonsense alternative to 'elite' independent or millennial companies I'll poo poo in a bin. I don't care how pleasant Sarah Millican's voice is.

A buller boy turned journalist turned tory MP winning on a promise to reform the British establishment is the perfect digestif for a new york real-estate billionaire scion winning on a promise to end the influence of dark money in politics. Just incredible.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

idk. I know the EU's been very clear about how the 4 freedoms are inseparable, but they've also pushed for things like jurisdiction of the ECJ to guarantee UK-resident EU citizens' rights, and it's not much of a jump from that to free movement - and, since free movement directly gives rights to EU citizens, they'd be under substantially more political pressure to accept it than the sweetheart deals we've been looking for on freedom of capital and services, without any of the very compelling reasons to say no. The biggest practical problem imo is ironing out all the details in the timeframe we have.

Also Norway isn't compatible with the Irish Border & doesn't fix our supply issues, it'd need to be Norway+, which is the fabled BrINO that's caused so many arguments over the past few years that let's not have again please

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

tfw you're above reproach...

https://twitter.com/singharj/status/1177134658519228417

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Steve2911 posted:

I've had the pleasure of watching advertising recently and it seems to boil down to;

- self aware northern voice-over that this is an advert but ecky thump int our product great
- a 'weird' advert where you can't really tell whats advertised until the last few seconds

I'm sure all the marketing wonks go to the same seminar each year and design campaigns based on the same information. Holidays are coming.

Regarding student votes - when you enrol online at university there's a section on the page asking you to register to vote, which I hadn't seen previously. I have a little bit of faith that younger people are politcally engaged and will register sooner than usual, especially with all the pap happening.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

That is my electorate and I will do everything in my power to stop her and her useless cavalry of fuckwits.

Also missed all the hoo hah yesterday due to my birthday but laughed at this gem this morning:

“The accusations thrown at him yesterday were deeply unfair,” he told the Today programme. “He was accused of calling people traitors – he has never done that.”

The party chairman admitted that Johnson had used the word “betray” in Parliament on Wednesday.

But he attempted to split hairs over the term “betrayal”.

Cleverley said: “He didn’t use the word betrayal yesterday.”

Host Martha Kearney, quoting Johnson, said: “’We will not betray the people who sent us here, we will not’ – that was yesterday.”

Cleverley replied: “Yes, okay ... you said he used the word ‘betrayal’. He said ‘we will not betray’.”

He claimed the failure to resolve Brexit was creating “a highly-charged and uncomfortable atmosphere”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Also Norway isn't compatible with the Irish Border
It could be if you shove it hard enough, it's like fitting legos and megabloks.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

justcola posted:

- a 'weird' advert where you can't really tell whats advertised until the last few seconds

I assume this one is because the ad agency has a folder of advert ideas and when a company asks them to make an ad they pick one out of the folder and slap the product name on the end

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Broadcast TV adverts feel really weird and alienating. At least Netflix adverts are mostly just advertising other shows, which makes sense. Although I can't wait for their weirdly targeted ads.

Broadcast TV just feels like they're presenting to some alien nuclear family in a plain white room decorated only by things found popular by newspaper boardroom sponsored psych studies or something. Those wish adverts with meth pipes sold as 'surprise wedding gift' and gimp masks for cats and a tiny gun maybe feel more human.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The only solace I take in aggressive advertising is that the company must be doing poo poo. 28 new flavours of Subway sandwiches! Facebook targeted ads that outnumber posts! Get ready for Brexit!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Diet Crack posted:

That is my electorate and I will do everything in my power to stop her and her useless cavalry of fuckwits.

Likewise, and while I’m not super impressed by the ppc our clp elected earlier this year, I’m hosed if I’m going to let one of the splitting cowards get in.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

justcola posted:

The only solace I take in aggressive advertising is that the company must be doing poo poo. 28 new flavours of Subway sandwiches! Facebook targeted ads that outnumber posts! Get ready for Brexit!

Right now I'm getting ads for a new cryptocurrency, which the drat things assure me are "backed by real gold" and will "avoid the troubles of political ups and downs like Brexit". I thought the whole gold-standard obsession was an American thing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/KojoRTE/status/1177119672283664384

The membership: An end to the camps! Votes for all! Peace, love and solidarity for all humankind!

Diane Abbott: No

Its poo poo that she isn't going whole hog on it but there's possibly a procedural reason for why she's having to say that - while the motion passed at conference the way that it passed (hand vote not card vote) meant that it isn't officially Party Programme and won't automatically go into the manifesto.

So current Labour policy is still what it was before, but hoping that's going to change rapidly.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/HouseofCommons/status/1177142439557193728?s=20

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Yeah, nah.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 26, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Guavanaut posted:

Broadcast TV adverts feel really weird and alienating. At least Netflix adverts are mostly just advertising other shows, which makes sense. Although I can't wait for their weirdly targeted ads.

Broadcast TV just feels like they're presenting to some alien nuclear family in a plain white room decorated only by things found popular by newspaper boardroom sponsored psych studies or something. Those wish adverts with meth pipes sold as 'surprise wedding gift' and gimp masks for cats and a tiny gun maybe feel more human.

The weirdest ones are the ones that are clearly made to be broadcast globally and just redubbed but the dubbing is somehow worse than 80s kung-fu movie dubs so there's this eerie disconnect like the people in the ad don't actually exist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

4oD's ads are so weird, it's like they're aware of the idea of targeted ads but their implementation of it is going "Car? Do you want to buy a car? How about a new bank account? What about some supermarket food?"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I seriously hope the motion for conference adjournment fails and the Tories have to endure a week of being absolutely loving roasted by the commons.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

feedmegin posted:

Na.

.22 is far too small a calibre to be reliable. 5.56mm NATO

Isn't .22 a bigger calibre than 5.56mm NATO as it was based on .202? (Or is this a joke that I'm not getting?)

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

justcola posted:

Tell that to the makers of Fevertree tonic water.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

.22 is one of the smallest calibres available, 5.56 is a standard NATO round which is used for most battle rifles and carbines. .22 is mainly for hunting small varmint, etc.

E: shows a .223 Remington but they’re practically the same as 5.56 for illustrative purposes:

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 26, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Totally off topic: I know we've got a bunch of computer touchers in this thread, would rather ask here as I don't go into the other forums much & frankly I know and trust you guys - would anyone be capable of bashing out a script that can trawl through a few thousand footnotes for me and turn it into a bibliography? There's 3 different referencing formats in there that need to go into separate sections (as well as actual footnotes to make things harder), seems like the kind of thing that could p easily be automated but I haven't the foggiest how. Would totally chuck some money to you or your favourite charity if anyone can help.

If you provided an example of the three different formats (and an example of a legit footnote) we could probably spitball you a parser.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aye, it's Thatcher's seat. All you need to know IMO.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Diet Crack posted:

I seriously hope the motion for conference adjournment fails and the Tories have to endure a week of being absolutely loving roasted by the commons.

This is a win-win because on the other hand there is no loving way the Tory Conference is not a completely hideous garbage fire on every level.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

I assume this one is because the ad agency has a Youtube favourites list of ideas and when a company asks them to make an ad they pick one out of the folder and slap the product name on the end

FTFY.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Tesseraction posted:

If you provided an example of the three different formats (and an example of a legit footnote) we could probably spitball you a parser.

I’m imagining that as a legal scholar Borrovan is using OSCOLA citation format, which can be found here.
https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxlaw/oscola_4th_edn_hart_2012quickreferenceguide.pdf

Borrovan have you ever used Zotero? It’s compatible with OSCOLA, strips metadata so you can quickly add new references (unless they’re on Westlaw, who suck), and can even save a copy of the PDF as well. There’s a bit IV a learning curve and initial investment but it’s worth it (also it’s free).

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Tesseraction posted:

Aye, it's Thatcher's seat. All you need to know IMO.

And that Golders Green/Finchley/Frognal and surrounding areas all have a very significant Jewish population for her to rag on about Jeremy’s antisemitism. I’d say that’s more the reason than sticking it to Maggie.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Right now I'm getting ads for a new cryptocurrency, which the drat things assure me are "backed by real gold" and will "avoid the troubles of political ups and downs like Brexit". I thought the whole gold-standard obsession was an American thing.
Much like sovereign citizens and legal name fraud, it's common across a lot of Anglo countries within a certain set of people. The UK being on the gold standard until 1931 Gordon Broon sold all the gold and caused the financial crisis has made it popular here, along with the continual stories about people finding hoards of gold sovereigns or roman coins which are worth thousands because metal strong, not because that's what other collectors are willing to pay for them.

Diet Crack posted:

.22 is one of the smallest calibres available, 5.56 is a standard NATO round which is used for most battle rifles and carbines. .22 is mainly for hunting small varmint, etc.

E: shows a .223 Remington but they’re practically the same as 5.56 for illustrative purposes:

.22LR will kill a person easy enough at close range, just not reliably. It wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the most common rounds for negligent/accidental firearm deaths because of how it's considered suitable for kids/training/whatever.
Israel considers it 'non lethal' to use on protesters. :catstare:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
This is probably a dumb question, but why are Lib Dem’s bad? I can’t really imagine them saddling up with conservatives after the last PMQ.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It most definitely is lethal, depending on where you aim for. It’s certainly more than enough to penetrate and cause damage, it’s just unlikely to exit or tumble inside or fragment, which is what most military rounds end up doing. It’s usally the exit wound and the internal “spinning” of the round inside a body which leads to the serious wounds that usually wind up being fatal.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

jimmydalad posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but why are Lib Dem’s bad? I can’t really imagine them saddling up with conservatives after the last PMQ.
My sweet summer child....

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

jimmydalad posted:

Because they’re full of poo poo and just want to get into power, and will side with the tories in their voting. Just look at their past voting history to understand the gist of how these fuckers are just making a power play based on lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

And that Golders Green/Finchley/Frognal and surrounding areas all have a very significant Jewish population for her to rag on about Jeremy’s antisemitism. I’d say that’s more the reason than sticking it to Maggie.

Oh that's absolutely why, but how well it'll play is doubtful - those Jewish people are voting Tory/Lib Dem anyway since Jeremy "Hitler" Corbyn was there in 2017. If anything she'll peel votes from pro-Remain Tories and more identity-politics (in the more useful idea of the word) Jewish voters who abandoned Labour under the First Antisemite Ed Miliband.

My jibe about Maggie is calling Berger a Thatcherite, not that she dislikes the ol' bastard.