Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Niwrad posted:

They don't need a good QB. Even someone as lovely as Case Keenum would be a big upgrade. Picking up the 5th year would be terrible but I also think going into the 4th year as the anointed starter would be dumb too. They have to either pick someone up in free agency to compete or draft someone they like.

Finding someone better than Mitch shouldn't be hard. Gardner Minshew was a 6th round pick and already looks way ahead of where Mitch is as a QB. Daniel Jones looked good. Heck, the Panthers threw in some guy who I had never heard of that looked better than Mitch has ever looked.

I guess I'm down on Mitch because I don't think it's a development issue. He's just not an accurate thrower. And I don't think that magically fixes itself. You either can make the throws or you can't.

I'm interested to see what the Bears playbook becomes because "short pass, run, nothing else" might work against Washington but they don't get to play Miami so this season is going to be a long one for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ghosthorse posted:

I'm interested to see what the Bears playbook becomes because "short pass, run, nothing else" might work against Washington but they don't get to play Miami so this season is going to be a long one for them

I can't believe you don't believe in overthrown deep ball to Gabriel on the left, and forced jump ball to Robinson a dozen times

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
So I think tonight is going to be a decent barometer of how the packers are coming along. The defense will finally play a good qb, even if the receiving corps are a little banged up, and almost certainly the best oline so far this year. If the Smith's can perform somewhat close to how they have been that will be an excellent indicator that they will be a force to reckon with all season.

This should be the game where the offense starts to put together a complete game. They dont have to be perfect but they need to show up all 4 quarters. I think a ton of this comes down to how well lafleur can adjust to defensive adjustments made in game. It seems to be an area hes been struggling with but by this week and next they should start to get a sense of what might work in what situation. If the offense still completely disappears after the first quarter it might be time to start asking why they are having such a hard time in game.

Or maybe I'm way off base and it's totally unrealistic to expect that to happen by week 4 of a new offense. I honestly have no idea what a reasonable time frame is. I'm just not sure the defense can sustain the way it's been playing week in and week out, especially the game saving turnovers.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I can't believe you don't believe in overthrown deep ball to Gabriel on the left, and forced jump ball to Robinson a dozen times

yeah all those high throws in the middle of the field are a great way to get your receivers killed so maybe they'll have a chat with Mitch

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pokemaster #421 posted:

So I think tonight is going to be a decent barometer of how the packers are coming along.

Thursday night games are never a good barometer for anything

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I had a dream about the game, and the Packers offense still sucked. We'll see.

Rodgers is sticking to Lafleur's script and I think that's why he's been mediocre. He's not extending plays and he's throwing away balls immediately when plays break down. If this keeps up for like 4 more weeks, Rodgers may go rogue.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Thursday night games are never a good barometer for anything

That's actually a really good point. I completely failed to take the clownball cosign into the equation. It usually favors the home team so here's hoping that trend continues

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Leon Einstein posted:

Rodgers is sticking to Lafleur's script and I think that's why he's been mediocre. He's not extending plays and he's throwing away balls immediately when plays break down. If this keeps up for like 4 more weeks, Rodgers may go rogue.

He could be doing that just because he doesn't want to get hurt again

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Leon Einstein posted:

Actually the statistics say that the Packers have had tons of success when Rodgers gets the ball out quick, and very little (a lot of sacks, and throwaways, not a lot of big plays) when he holds it. This is contrary to a guy like Deshaun Watson or Russell Wilson who get almost all their explosive plays from holding the ball, and you'd think Aaron would be in that category too but it hasn't been working out that way.

Rodgers has always been in the top echelon of throwaways iirc

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

Play posted:

Actually the statistics say that the Packers have had tons of success when Rodgers gets the ball out quick, and very little (a lot of sacks, and throwaways, not a lot of big plays) when he holds it. This is contrary to a guy like Deshaun Watson or Russell Wilson who get almost all their explosive plays from holding the ball, and you'd think Aaron would be in that category too but it hasn't been working out that way.

Yeah his well known aversion to interceptions have usually led him to throwing it away rather than taking a risk and trying to force something

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Raku posted:

He could be doing that just because he doesn't want to get hurt again

It's wild to think that Rodgers is already in the twilight of his career, but then you have to remember that he spent like three years on the bench.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Yeah his well known aversion to interceptions have usually led him to throwing it away rather than taking a risk and trying to force something

He basically the anti-Favre

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Play posted:

Pokemaster #421 posted:

As a fan of a rival team, the first thing I think of is the Aaron Rodgers BS where he scrambles and hucks a ball to win the game on fourth down. I'm sure that's my own bias remembering the big standout play instead of all the unremarkable ones where he played it safer.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Blowjob Overtime posted:

As a fan of a rival team, the first thing I think of is the Aaron Rodgers BS where he scrambles and hucks a ball to win the game on fourth down. I'm sure that's my own bias remembering the big standout play instead of all the unremarkable ones where he played it safer.

Well those are in situations where he literally has no option but to force something or huck it downfield.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Same here, which is why the fact that it isn't going like that this season is notable. When he's holding the ball he's generally getting sacked rather than creating a big play. So far anyways

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

How much are the Lions going to get shithoused by the chiefs this week?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

How much are the Lions going to get shithoused by the chiefs this week?

The spread is +6.5, which I feel is exceedingly generous to the Lions

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Well, 362 days ago, the Patriots came to Ford Field with their MVP quarterback, laying 7 points to a Lions team worse than this one, and they were the ones who got shithoused.

QED, ipso facto, 15-0-1.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

For real tho if Matt Patricia is good at anything, and that's a Matt Patricia-sized "if", it's gumming up the works of powerhouse offenses. But that's probably going to be impossible to do if Slay is out.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Didn't realize they were at home. For some reason in my brain that changes the calculus but I have no idea which direction. I think we can all bet on a missed field goal or two though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

tinstaach posted:

For real tho if Matt Patricia is good at anything, and that's a Matt Patricia-sized "if", it's gumming up the works of powerhouse offenses. But that's probably going to be impossible to do if Slay is out.

I just don't think they have the juice on the back end to keep up with the Chiefs receivers. That offense has a way of making totally adequate defenses look like a pack of incompetent fools

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

If slay is out then yeah, but if he's close to 100% then I could see another game where he gets dunked on right up until he grabs two picks or something.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Parallelwoody posted:

Didn't realize they were at home. For some reason in my brain that changes the calculus but I have no idea which direction. I think we can all bet on a missed field goal or two though.

Apparently Mahomes has never played in a dome, so perhaps he will be unable to complete passes because there will be no weather to contend with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The big question is whether the Lions are able to keep Mahomes off the field. If Detroit can sustain several long touchdown drives that eat the clock and keep the score close, they might have a chance, especially if the defense is able to conjore up a stop or (god forbid) a turnover. If they can't, then we are completely and utterly hosed, since as much as I love Staff there's no way he's winning against Mahomes in a shootout.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Also if the Lions somehow have the lead in the fourth and Patricia decides to go conservative I am going to drive to Allen Park and strangle him with my bare loving hands.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

It's definitely at the point where I don't care who they're playing I will tune into chiefs games just to see a fun game. Even when they eventually crush Minnesota I won't be mad as long as Mahomes keeps playing so well

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Also if the Lions somehow have the lead in the fourth and Patricia decides to go conservative I am going to drive to Allen Park and strangle him with my bare loving hands.

could you just do this anyway

no qualifiers, just do that thing

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Look at that. Jordan Howard caught 20 yard td pass. Yup, stone hands and no place for him in the Bears dynamic passing offense. loving dumb to let him go. Could have at least kept him one more year to see what the new contract might have looked like.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
He would absolutely not be doing anything behind the Bears offensive line. A demerit for Nagy for not finding a way to use him effectively but I don't think trading him will really matter in the long run

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pace invested like $100 million into guards and the line still sucks.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It just sucks letting a player walk and immediately using your top pick to try to replace said player

Did this happen with alshon and Kevin white too, or was that Brandon Marshall leaving and white getting drafted

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Losing to a non divisional opponent.

Shameful imo.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
How bad of a team do you have to be to lose to Philadelphia, at home ,when they on a short week?

Frauds, owned by Gym Shorts

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The Detroit Lions are the only undefeated team in the division until Sunday.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
you really hate to see it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lions bitch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Packers got hilariously screwed on that final no call

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
All of the NFC North posters are gonna start earnestly rallying around the Lions like when people let a 90 year old dude score a touchdown in a flag football game or whatever. And then they're gonna poo poo themselves and die at the one yard line

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

you really hate to see it

Nah

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lions bitch

Yah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a really lovely way to find out Sendejo is still in the league.

He's like a drunk driver who somehow only manages to gently caress up other people's lives but comes out unscathed.