Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m also happier doing finance type work than I am practicing law. I might get into SEC work this way. Prosecuting wealthy people would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m also happier doing finance type work than I am practicing law. I might get into SEC work this way. Prosecuting wealthy people would be fun.

Please do.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Went to our schools engineering career fair today. Tons of kids wearing I’ll fitting black suits and plain shirts. I wore sneakers, khakis, and a neon blue polo and still had recruiters trying to cat call me from their booths.

Shirt and tie is a capitalist relic from baby boomers

But today did make me keenly aware that I need to figure out what I’m doing after graduating. All the cool jobs don’t pay and all the local jobs aren’t cool. I’ve got two interviews tomorrow and every table I talked too said they wanted a follow up but I am hesitant to even consider taking an offer eight months before graduation. Gotta shoot for the stars with my options if anybody knows an in for an interesting field.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

To paraphrase Larry Summers who used to be president of Harvard. "There are two reasons you will see an undergrad wearing a suit. He has a job interview later that day, or he's an rear end in a top hat"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Find a judge who will let you wear a canadian tuxedo.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Mr. Nice! posted:

Prosecuting wealthy people would be fun.

living the dream

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

EBB posted:

Find a judge who will let you wear a canadian tuxedo.

Do this. Go all the way. Get a denim tie and Levi Strauss cufflinks and tie clip.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Look at all of you with your college campuses and business casual. I am spending my tuition assistance dollars on the finest online education the Marine Corps will pay for. Nothing like pretending like mandatory message boards posts are teaching me something.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Mr. Nice! posted:

The business school makes all masters students wear business casual or professional daily. I constantly have undergrads mistake me for a prof.

I went out and bought like a half-dozen button-up shirts because I was afraid my polos were too casual. I wore a drat three-piece my first class weekend.

I think I wore a hockey jersey the last one.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The textbook for my business ethics class is incredible. In trying to put a positive spin on the fact that most Americans distrust "Managers' Values" it tells the reader:

"However, a recent study found that today's managers place slightly more importance on moral values, such as honesty and forgiveness, than did managers in the 1980s,"

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i want to get a job at a palce that makes you wear a tie so I can get a bolo tie

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The textbook for my business ethics class is incredible. In trying to put a positive spin on the fact that most Americans distrust "Managers' Values" it tells the reader:

"However, a recent study found that today's managers place slightly more importance on moral values, such as honesty and forgiveness, than did managers in the 1980s,"

When your baseline is zero anything is positive so yeah, lies, drat lies, and statistics.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i want to get a job at a palce that makes you wear a tie so I can get a bolo tie

are you a geologist

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Applied to 8 jobs today. Lets see if I get some response.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really enjoying waiting to see if I got into the school I want to transfer to. When I completed my application, they emailed me and said it would be 2-3 weeks. Then I emailed them a month later and they said they haven't even started on transfer applications yet and it would be a few more weeks. no, that's not anxiety I'm feeling, it's excitement for my future.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Welp, I got accepted to the school I applied to. I applied with the major Electrical Engineering, but they say my major is "digital media" whatever the hell that is. So now I get to try to figure out what the gently caress happened with that. The letter says "because of your academic credentials you meet the requirements for Digital Media, BS." I don't understand why I didn't meet the requirements for Electrical Engineering. I applied with academic fresh start, which is a Texas law that allows me to apply to public schools and have any credits from 10 or more years ago not counted. So that means I am applying with a 4.0 GPA and I've taken all the required classes. I'm hoping this is just a mix-up on their part. I really don't need this stress right now.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

probably just a mix up. I had some random major assigned after I transferred.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I got the award dates for my Pell Grant mixed up and didn't apply for tuition assistance this semester. I have two 8 week quarters and I usually take two classes at a time year round. I put off taking Biology as long as I could because I am over 100 credits into this degree. So I was looking at paying around 1900 dollars out of pocket for these two classes.

The strangest sequence of luck finds me the recipient of a first generation scholar scholarship for 1600 bucks. They split it up to pay 800 this semester and 800 next semester. Then I found out that my Pell Grant was doubled this semester too. The net result is that I am getting refunded the 1900 for school this semester and getting a check for an additional 500 bucks.

Now I have 4500 dollars worth of military tuition assistance left this fiscal year and will use that to pay for the rest of my classes. Because of my scholarship and grants, I can use the tuition assistance to cover everything and get a 2300 dollar check in January and a 1500 dollar check in March and a 1500 dollar check in June.

Getting paid to go to college is cool.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:nice:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Found out that I got a $7k scholarship for my coming last semester. This works out well as the Yellow Ribbon amount when I applied in spring 2018 was unlimited, it was then revised to $10k before the start of last academic year, and revised again to $8k this AY. Went from having to take out small loan to covering it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
So we just got assigned the CEO of a 2,000+ location chicken joint as an advisor for our team in the Entrepeneurship class :staredog:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

GD_American posted:

So we just got assigned the CEO of a 2,000+ location chicken joint as an advisor for our team in the Entrepeneurship class :staredog:

Congratulations! Raising Cane's?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

GD_American posted:

Ask him what it feels like to be a lizard person

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Registering tomorrow for my final semester of my MSW program. Crazy how quick this has gone by.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Registering tomorrow for my final semester of my MSW program. Crazy how quick this has gone by.

Queued up my classes in the Coursebin and registered the minute it opened up. Got all the classes I wanted.

Also no better feeling than closing a window with 20+ tabs for building a presentation or multiple 20+ tab windows for a paper

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

What better way to round out my final semester in the CS program than by taking "Basic Computer Skills for MS Office Applications" (along with Operating Systems)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gray Matter posted:

What better way to round out my final semester in the CS program than by taking "Basic Computer Skills for MS Office Applications" (along with Operating Systems)

I’m studying programming and there is a pre req class I’ve dropped twice because it’s 3 hours of how to edit word files and PowerPoints. The class is filled with people who do not know how to use a computer so 2 hours out of 3 is the teacher walking through how to left click and poo poo. I’ve dropped it twice after a few weeks, but it’s a required class for Database Design, so I’m just gonna suck it up and do it.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
There's gotta be some way for them to let you out of that. Can you see if they'll take a clep test or something?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Nah this is intentional, I only have 6 units left required to graduate, so I'm taking another 6 units of BS to get up to full-time enrollment. I wanted credits that would require minimal effort so I can focus more on OS, reputed to be the most difficult course in the major.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The Gentleman's C

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I left for the Navy during first semester of what would have been senior year. I had to jump back in at Diff Eq's and Multi-variable and there is 0 chance I would have succeeded without the people at Everett (WA) CC being good at their jobs. Otherwise I would have came back to Penn State and had another junior math prof that didn't give a poo poo and who knows what would have happened.

I went to Everett. Bolan & Washburn are fabulous.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I was sitting here working on one of my three finals papers due this week and remembered, "hey, when was that thank you letter for the scholarship due?" Turned out it was due on the 2nd so quickly wrote up a thank you for getting 7k. I felt really fortunate that I got selected for it as it was specifically for MSW veteran students which this program has quite a number of. I know this as the Yellow Ribbon for USC went from unlimited when I applied to 10k last AY to 8k this AY. I realize YR isn't a guarantee but I was still pissed about last year. The only real financial upside of the program is that since I've been on internship locally here I get MHA for the zip code of the campus so pulling down LA monies.

My 12-15pg not well defined on the syllabus theory paper is my first one due which I am procrastinating like hell doing. Whereas my other two papers are application of theories for vignettes/scenarios which is easier imo

Thanks for reading my rambling almost 1am stuff; hope y'all are doing well going into the sprint toward the finish post-Turkey Day!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah I put off a ton of poo poo too time to actually start getting poo poo done

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Turned in a paper draft an hour ago that I'm pretty sure will suck, and might cause me to retake the class next year.

Yes, this class is only offered during the fall semester. Yes, I really hate myself. :(

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I have 17 days left of my undergrad. Doesn't feel that way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two weeks left of grad school. Pray for Mojo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

man is grad school just that rough or what? Every time someone mentions grad school it’s met with some arduous tone

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

man is grad school just that rough or what? Every time someone mentions grad school it’s met with some arduous tone

It's more that grad school on top of work is like having a second job you do on the weekends. I shouldn't complain, I don't have kids to deal with in addition.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya I figured it was more cause most are already working full-time and not just chilling hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I struggle with working full time and doing undergrad stuff with all of my free time. My life for the past year and a half has been work, school work, sleep. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though since I will finally have this degree by this summer.