Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team, or Paper Jam worth picking up once I'm done with Superstar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I think Dream Team is the worst of those, but even that is still like a pretty alright game. Paper Jam has barely an excuse for a plot and generic areas but the gameplay mechanics are fun, and BIS is just super solid all around. So yes, if you want more.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team, or Paper Jam worth picking up once I'm done with Superstar?

BIS is worth playing the original of, the remake kind of screws up more than it adds (go watch a LP of the Bowser Jr addition if you really want to, you're not missing much gameplay wise)

Dream Team is an extended tutorial that pretends to be a game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The remake is fine and way more convenient to play if you have a 3ds

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ryuga Death posted:

I think they’re all worth playing in order. There’s also the direct sequel to Superstar Saga, Partners in Time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Partners In Time is the one least worth playing though, especially if it's the US version that inflated all the boss HP to stupid levels.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurazuka posted:

Partners In Time is the one least worth playing though, especially if it's the US version that inflated all the boss HP to stupid levels.

I agree but still worth a playthrough. There’s some funny stuff with the babies. I didn’t know they did that, guess I’ll play a hack that fixes that next time I go through it.

I’d rank them SS, BIS, DT, PJ, PiT.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
On the eshop, Radiant Historia is half off, good deal for a good RPG https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/radiant-historia-perfect-chronology-3ds/

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I just turned on my N2DS after months of not using it to play Dual Destinies, and the circle pad is malfunctioning (eternally pressing left). Is there a fix I can do on my own, and if I'd have to ship it in, how much would it cost?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I just turned on my N2DS after months of not using it to play Dual Destinies, and the circle pad is malfunctioning (eternally pressing left). Is there a fix I can do on my own, and if I'd have to ship it in, how much would it cost?

Weird that it would randomly do it. Have you tried calibrating it? https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52/~/how-to-calibrate-the-circle-pad

If that didn't work I would just contact Nintendo customer service.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

PlushCow posted:

Weird that it would randomly do it. Have you tried calibrating it? https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/52/~/how-to-calibrate-the-circle-pad

If that didn't work I would just contact Nintendo customer service.

Tried calibrating, it wouldn't register left at all. Thankfully I'm still under warranty, so I guess I'm shipping it in. Thanks for the help!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Tried calibrating, it wouldn't register left at all. Thankfully I'm still under warranty, so I guess I'm shipping it in. Thanks for the help!

That sounds like dirty contacts.

Fixing it isn't as much hard as it's extremely tedious and you have to disassemble the device to do it, so yeah, warranty is way easier.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Ended up really enjoying Superstar Saga, even the Bowser's Minions side game was a lot of fun!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The last game is almost here.

https://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/1174427878303260672

Coming out on the 26th in Europe, apparently.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
In all seriousness, I'm stoked to have it on the same system I have the prequel. Been waiting for this.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Sorry for the double post, but Shakedown Hawaii plays great on the 3DS and is a massive improvement on the first. Plus it's only $15! Glad I waited and didn't pull the trigger on the Switch version.

An absolutely fitting end to the great 3DS library of games.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Does anyone still play Bravely Default?

I missed the boat on it, but am checking it out now and enjoying it, but I'm not getting any hits on the online friend units thing.

Well, some, but not many.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just popped onto my 3DS and sent a Friend Summon and updated data, so my stuff is now out there again.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

I just popped onto my 3DS and sent a Friend Summon and updated data, so my stuff is now out there again.

Oh, awesome!

Does it make any use of Friend Codes, or is its "friend" system entirely separate?

My FC is: 0774-5682-0042

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I forget what does what in Bravely Default, but there's Streetpass, what you get when you "Update Data" at the Adventurer (which is from internet randos who also picked Update Data), and 3DS friends, the last of which does use your system's Friend Code.

Mine is 1264-0166-6813.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Commander Keene posted:

I forget what does what in Bravely Default, but there's Streetpass, what you get when you "Update Data" at the Adventurer (which is from internet randos who also picked Update Data), and 3DS friends, the last of which does use your system's Friend Code.

Mine is 1264-0166-6813.

Added!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I got a grip off AliExpress and stuck it on my 2ds xl and it’s basically welded on now. Sure is more comfortable at least

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
AlphaDream, the Mario & Luigi series developer, has filed for bankruptcy: https://gonintendo.com/stories/345904-alphadream-developers-of-the-mario-luigi-series-file-for-bank

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That's unfortunate. :(

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

:smith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dang it. :sadwave:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Aw, drat.

I played the heck out of the first game, and I heard the rest were very good. Maybe I should pick up one of them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Annath posted:

Aw, drat.

I played the heck out of the first game, and I heard the rest were very good. Maybe I should pick up one of them.

You should play them all. Some are worse than others but it’s a good series overall.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

SeANMcBAY posted:

You should play them all. Some are worse than others but it’s a good series overall.

Which one is the closest to the original in terms of mechanics? I really enjoyed the original's RPG esque traits.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annath posted:

Which one is the closest to the original in terms of mechanics? I really enjoyed the original's RPG esque traits.

They all mostly have the same RPG systems tbh. Each game just adds some different twist (Partners in time has you also control Baby Mario and Luigi, Bowser's inside Story has you swap between controlling Mario and Luigi inside Bowser and Bowser solo, Dream team has giant Luigi, Color Splash just adds Paper Mario to the mix etc).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Color Splash is a Paper Mario game. Paper Jam is the M&L game that has Paper Mario guesting.

All the games in the series have pretty much the same mechanics. They didn’t experiment as much like they do with Paper Mario.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i dont like the paper mario games or stories or aesthetic. the mario & luigi ones i played were cute though and had some genuine jokes. none of them compare to smrpg

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Super No Vacancy posted:

i dont like the paper mario games or stories or aesthetic. the mario & luigi ones i played were cute though and had some genuine jokes. none of them compare to smrpg

SMRPG is worse than any of the Mario and Luigi games or Paper Mario games

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the opposite is true actually

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Super Mario RPG is the most overrated SNES RPG.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's a good game! Not the sort of untouchable sacred cow good that a lot of people seem to remember though.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yoko Shimomura rules real hard, though.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Wark Say posted:

Yoko Shimomura rules real hard, though.

This also applies to her work in the M&L series, and it's also hilarious how the final boss tracks become increasingly like Kingdom Hearts tracks as the series progresses

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Amppelix posted:

It's a good game! Not the sort of untouchable sacred cow good that a lot of people seem to remember though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I like Super Mario RPG a lot but all the RPGs deserve love and attention.