Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that everyone is very chuffed for 11Switch (My copy is coming tomorrow) and all, but can anyone say on good authority whether Builders 2 for Switch runs well technically speaking? I've been burned before by technically inept Switch games and am justifiably a bit wary. I already have B1 for PS4 and I'm not planning to repurchase that one, but I'm thinking of getting 2 and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the big black box or go mobile.
I’m playing it on the Switch, and played DQB1 on both the Switch and PS4. It plays pretty well! I’ve only noticed meaningful lag if there’s a lot (dozens) of loose blocks, like if you just set off a wrecking ball, but even then it’s only when the blast occurs. Load times are long when you first start the game and move from island to island; I didn’t time it, but it felt like two minutes on first load and one minute between islands.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Expect My Mom posted:

I'm 90% sure this was a joke about the Switch version having some more pronounced pop in and little anti-aliasing, but after learning about a ninth character, i'll believe anything

Yeah I'm pretty sure that he was commenting on the lovely graphics but I think he could have spent a bit more effort to elaborate given that it was a 30 minute video. This was a continuation of his previous 30 minute review for Christ sake.

I was pretty hyped to play in 2d mode but then I realized that means random encounters. Being able to avoid most fights really made the game for me when I played it last year and I was already annoyed by the random battles when you're on the ship.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ah gently caress. I just realized 2D means no voice acting, even in the FMVs. Oh well. I've already heard 'em.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that everyone is very chuffed for 11Switch (My copy is coming tomorrow) and all, but can anyone say on good authority whether Builders 2 for Switch runs well technically speaking? I've been burned before by technically inept Switch games and am justifiably a bit wary. I already have B1 for PS4 and I'm not planning to repurchase that one, but I'm thinking of getting 2 and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the big black box or go mobile.

It's bad and I wish I got it on the PS4. It seems fine at first but there's several parts that get bad and stay bad and it ruins a lot of moments that should have been much better.

It's not unplayable and if portability is important to you yes get it, it's definitely better to play on switch than to not play dqb2 which loving rules.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Bob Socko posted:

I’m playing it on the Switch, and played DQB1 on both the Switch and PS4. It plays pretty well! I’ve only noticed meaningful lag if there’s a lot (dozens) of loose blocks, like if you just set off a wrecking ball, but even then it’s only when the blast occurs. Load times are long when you first start the game and move from island to island; I didn’t time it, but it felt like two minutes on first load and one minute between islands.

I had no major problems with it either. One small issue, some of the text can be a little small playing in docked mode. Otherwise it ran just fine for me. Like Bob said, load times were a little annoying but otherwise it was great. Although, as of late it seems that there are some people out there who are a lot more sensitive to frame rate fluctuations than I am. I heard a bunch of people complaining about poor performance in Link's Awakening and I never noticed anything amiss at all.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Happy Sylvando day to my Switch friends

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
DQ11 demo: I've just snuck back into the city from the poor part of town, 2 people in my party: hero and thief guy. It's super charming, the graphics are really good, with a style I really like. The voice acting is great. The combat is sort of boring, hit hit hit sometimes heal sometimes spell. The story hasn't really taken off yet. Everyone says the demo is 6-9 hours, am I halfway yet, more, or less than that? I've spent about 2h30 so far.

Also I have a lot of unusable items but I saw something about crafting so I'm not sure if I should just sell them or keep them. Is anything vendor trash or do I need to keep everything?

Right now I'd rather play Atelier Lydie and Suelle, but I'm willing to stick it out if it improves.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You get a lot more tools to play with for battles later but the charm of DQ is that it's old school JRPG done to its most exquisite level with all the pluses and minuses that may imply. So it's never going have the flair of a Persona, and you won't be making cool items to cheese things like Atelier.

And you're maybe a quarter of the way into the demo? It's a juggernaut. 6 hours is if you're blitzing through and I think if the demo will only take you 6 hours, maybe DQ isn't your thing? It's long slow and deliberate, which again, has the pluses and minuses that may imply

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
The reports of a new Party member might have been premature, apparently the guy that reviewed it for Destructroid is a dumb rear end and thought #8 was new? I haven't found anything concrete on this yet though

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. I figure I'll finish the demo then decide, but no rush I suppose. Disappointed by the lack of a single boss fight so far.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

redreader posted:

Thanks. I figure I'll finish the demo then decide, but no rush I suppose. Disappointed by the lack of a single boss fight so far.

There's a couple in the demo but you're still very much in the intro. Where you're at is like 3% of the entire game basically.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Does the English language version of XI S offer japanese text and audio? Can someone check for me?

(To check, you have to change your switch system language to Japanese 日本語, then the game will automatically change if it does)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I know for sure there's Audio, because its an option in the demo.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The text is more important.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Happy Sylvando day to my Switch friends

Sylvandowns :hai:

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The reports of a new Party member might have been premature, apparently the guy that reviewed it for Destructroid is a dumb rear end

As a long time reader of video game stuff on the internet, Destructoid has always been a garbage site with dumb opinions and no fact checking.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Didn’t know that getting the champions pack with the DQ8 outfit would also give the option of replacing the non-battle music with the music from DQ8.

Game just got more amazing with the DQ8 overworld song :swoon:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

bondster posted:

Didn’t know that getting the champions pack with the DQ8 outfit would also give the option of replacing the non-battle music with the music from DQ8.

Game just got more amazing with the DQ8 overworld song :swoon:

It's a shame we didn't get a champions pack for every DQ game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ok so what exactly is the point of the bank in XI

Do I lose money if I game over? Is that it?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

Yeah you lose half your cash on hand if you game over

Good system, imo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

If it's like the other DQs, you lose half your money on hand.

ETA: Beaten

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Amppelix posted:

You lose half your gold but you keep the items/exp you gained. Using the bank mitigates the losing your gold part. Or you can reload a save but then you lose any levels you gained and will have to remember to open up the chests in whatever dungeon you were in when you got your rear end whooped.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If it's like the other DQs, you lose half your money on hand.
You know, I've played DQs before. Several of them! And yet I don't remember this system existing one single bit. Have I never game overed before...? Or maybe I've just never paid attention to my gold count. That sound more plausible.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I loved this game. It's the only game I've considered getting platinum on. I was close - I needed to finish up the turn-based trials and maybe one other thing.

The Switch version looks amazing, but I don't know if I have it in me to re-visit a 100+ hour game for the new features. Better believe that, if I did, I'd be playing in 16-bit mode.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I wanted to thank everyone who gave feedback on the Builders 2 "Which system?" question. I watched the video that Social Animal linked for me, and when I do get a copy it will be the PS4 version. My conclusion was that the Switch version is fine docked but not fine undocked, and if it's not going to play well on the go then I may as well buy the PS4 version with the superior frame rate. I don't have a PS4 pro, just an original, but it's still clearly the winner technically speaking.

On another note, I'm glad that I held out for the Switch version of XI. They added way more stuff than I expected, plus the Amazon discount. It's nice to see patience rewarded.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mikeycp posted:

hey gbc dragon quest monsters is out on switch in japan, on the off chance anybody besides me is interested in that
Man it really is just emulator on a wallpaper

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-retro-announced-for-switch

Why wouldn't they port the competent 3DS remakes? I guess that will eventually come. Although to be honest the remakes were underwhelming and I have a lot of love for the original's charm.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So can anyone check if XI has japanese text when you switch your system locale to japanese?

Need to know if I am buying the US version of the game, or overseas one.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Vegetable posted:

Man it really is just emulator on a wallpaper

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-retro-announced-for-switch

Why wouldn't they port the competent 3DS remakes? I guess that will eventually come. Although to be honest the remakes were underwhelming and I have a lot of love for the original's charm.

Yes and no. When in battles and menus you do at least get a nice informational sidebar that sidesteps the technical limitations of the GB, displaying more information that can be held on that tiny screen. There's also sped-up walk (but not at the expense of playing everything faster). The informational sidebars are especially handy when breeding or looking at a list of all your monsters. I hope they bring this over, but given the fact that they'd probably need to reprogram the way the shell reads the info out of the emulator, it's less likely.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Wow I was just about to type up a post about how I've played more than 15 hours of XI without ever hearing a battle theme beyond the standard one and wondering if boss themes even exist, but then one finally appeared for the slayer of the sands. I guess all those other encounters weren't "real" bosses.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Wow I was just about to type up a post about how I've played more than 15 hours of XI without ever hearing a battle theme beyond the standard one and wondering if boss themes even exist, but then one finally appeared for the slayer of the sands. I guess all those other encounters weren't "real" bosses.

Slayer of the Sands isn't technically the first boss, but really, it's the first boss. Especially on Harder Monsters.

Might be the one time in the game that Sylvando can be a liability.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HPanda posted:

He was :argh:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yes and no. When in battles and menus you do at least get a nice informational sidebar that sidesteps the technical limitations of the GB, displaying more information that can be held on that tiny screen. There's also sped-up walk (but not at the expense of playing everything faster). The informational sidebars are especially handy when breeding or looking at a list of all your monsters. I hope they bring this over, but given the fact that they'd probably need to reprogram the way the shell reads the info out of the emulator, it's less likely.

Whoah, that's a really inventive way of doing a re-release.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HPanda posted:

On the contrary, he slapped several people out of confusion for me when my own attempts were futile. I guess it's random if you can cure confusion with an attack? That kinda sucks.

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Hustle Dance redeems Sylvando pretty quick. He's great.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No it's just an ability of his.

e: oh wait no I read that wrong

Terper fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 27, 2019

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I cannot wait to play this masterpiece again. Deffo doing Stronger Monsters this time around.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Hustle Dance redeems Sylvando pretty quick. He's great.

Everything about Sylvando redeems him quick.

Really, he's only a liability in that fight if you try sleeping the Slayer of the Sands. That should normally be a good strategy, but Sylvando really loves to wake him back up in the same round.

ROFL Octopus posted:

I cannot wait to play this masterpiece again. Deffo doing Stronger Monsters this time around.

I did Stronger Monsters on my first playthrough and I'm glad that I did. You actually have to use the game's systems and combat mechanics instead of sleepwalking through.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Detective No. 27 posted:

Whoah, that's a really inventive way of doing a re-release.

Oh yeah, actually the most handy thing is when you're out in the fields, you get a minimap, a full readout of how many items are on that level, how many you've collected so far, and how many levels you have left until the boss. It is incredibly useful.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I loved this game. It's the only game I've considered getting platinum on. I was close - I needed to finish up the turn-based trials and maybe one other thing.

The Switch version looks amazing, but I don't know if I have it in me to re-visit a 100+ hour game for the new features. Better believe that, if I did, I'd be playing in 16-bit mode.

Hard same. I keep looking at 11S, but I don't think I have the time to play that game again for some minor add-ons. Have there been any rumors about backporting the new content (don't really care about the 2D mode, though it's clever that they did it) to PS4/PC? poo poo, I'll pay for DLC, I just don't want to spend another hundred hours on the game.

As-is, it feels like S-E is giving me the middle finger for having bought their game the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HPanda posted:

I did Stronger Monsters on my first playthrough and I'm glad that I did. You actually have to use the game's systems and combat mechanics instead of sleepwalking through.
I do enjoy being forced to engage with a game's strategic options, but I'm not exactly regretting not picking it. The entire first part of the game until getting a full party was *really* sleepwalky but eh, I auto-battled through that just fine and it didn't get boring either, I was engaged by other factors. Now that I've gotten past that the game seems to have a pretty nice balance of easier enemies and ones where i'll have to actually use my head a bit.

You never really know with RPG difficulty options. Sometimes it can mean that the game is a sucky grindfest now. Other times, even if you don't need to grind, it can get terribly exhausting having to pull out all your stops for literally every single enemy encounter in a game that's designed around you getting into many, many battles. The option says that all enemies are "REALLY strong" or something to that effect and I didn't really trust the DQ series to not do me dirty on that one.