Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Every other country has very weak biscuit game. I feel like that's the only real culinary strength of the UK

Ginger nuts are the only thing keeping me on this godforsaken island

380 AD - With the Edict of Thessalonica, Christianity becomes the Roman Empire's state religion. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediadave posted:

Does anyone have any recent newspaper sales figure trends? I need to persuade myself again that they're not long for this world.

lol get in the bin you papery cunts (but those Sun/Mail figures tho).

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

VideoGames posted:

It was. That was how I felt eating it.

*darth vader shouting Nooooo*

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I still hate that there's a newspaper called i

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ronya posted:

just suggest to postpone the carpet change by a couple of months first and see what the response is

you can say that it would be easier for you to arrange around it in January without saying why
Imagine you were a landlord (trying to resist immediately killing yourself, landlords don't feel shame or empathy remember). Tenant says "hey you'll shortly have nothing further to gain from me, can you please not be an rear end in a top hat, bearing in mind that being an rear end in a top hat would likely mean you'd gain some more money since you'd be able to get a new tenant in quicker".

Ronya's right imo, ask them nicely, don't show your hand

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Rarity posted:

Where do you stand on chocolate oranges?

They were 75p each in a local Tesco last weekend. Sadly I'd said to Mrs Clarence that morning that I was going to try to lose some weight so I didn't get any.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

lol get in the bin you papery cunts (but those Sun/Mail figures tho).

Thanks - anything more recent than 2015 though?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Deketh posted:

I'm a bit of a lurker so I hope you don't mind me asking for some opinions on a tenancy thing.

My landlord wants to change the carpets (not for good reasons) but I'm intending to move soon. I don't have anywhere to move to yet, but anticipate finding somewhere within a month's time. I don't want to have the disruption of the carpet change, only to be moving out shortly after. I want to tell the estate agent (I don't deal with the landlord) of my intention to leave so they can leave it til after I'm gone, but this would be before I could give my official notice so I'm concerned they could do something to mess with me before I find somewhere. Is it safe to be honest with them here? I'm a bit paranoid with tenancy issues.

Despite the doom saying of a few of the others, this is actually the sort of thing that lots of landlords would probably really appreciate knowing. I don't think its likely that they would try to make your life miserable in any way if you let them know that they will be able to do whatever the gently caress they want to the place in short order.

I guess this depends on who you rent from but I know for a fact that my current landlord massively prefers to get all that sort of maintenance stuff done in one go when rooms are unoccupied.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

AceOfFlames posted:

If that is the only way to succeed, then might as well burn the world.

Oh shut the gently caress up man

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jose posted:

lmao the MoD advertised a job role that included the secret budget. they removed it from their site but its still on some job sites

https://findonejob.com/2019/07/01/sangcom-c2-project-manager/

Lol at £31000 a year for managing a £2Billion program for the House of Saud.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

Oh shut the gently caress up man

Is it ace who has like 70k in savings and lives in sexy weedland or did I dream this?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mediadave posted:

Current figures are 1 to 1.5 million for the top sellers (Sun/Heil), meaning they've shed over 25% of their readership in the last 4 years :laugh:

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Rarity posted:

Where do you stand on chocolate oranges? :thunkher:

At the place where all the segments meet the center column so as to distribute weight longitudinally and minimise the risk of catastrophic segmental shearing

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FiftySeven posted:

Despite the doom saying of a few of the others, this is actually the sort of thing that lots of landlords would probably really appreciate knowing. I don't think its likely that they would try to make your life miserable in any way if you let them know that they will be able to do whatever the gently caress they want to the place in short order.

found the landlord

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pochoclo posted:

Ginger nuts are the only thing keeping me on this godforsaken island

380 AD - With the Edict of Thessalonica, Christianity becomes the Roman Empire's state religion. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Never go to NZ then, abysmal selection

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FiftySeven posted:

I guess this depends on who you rent from but I know for a fact that my current landlord massively prefers to get all that sort of maintenance stuff done in one go when rooms are unoccupied.

What? The Landlord will absolutely gently caress you. His other choices are have the place empty for a bit or annoy the new tenant. Or he can gently caress the tenant that is already leaving because who cares what they think. The only way they'll leave it till after is so they can keep your deposit to pay for the new carpet.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The thing about the Sun as well is that a lot of people treat it as an "adult" version of the Beano, they skip all the boring politics bits by reflex.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

mediadave posted:

You can google "newscorp annual report", etc, and see the readership for every year. Looks like from 2017 to 2018, The Sun print edition lost 6% of its readership. This matches the general trend.

Unfortunately, it seems that their online media is making up for the difference in revenue lost. So yeah print tabloids are dying but online tabloids are on the rise.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

FiftySeven posted:

Seeing exactly the same stuff. Its loving disgusting how many people have a problem with a 16 year old girl wanting to stop the planet from burning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl99R6FM5s8

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

If that is the only way to succeed, then might as well burn the world.

Ends, means, etc. The reason I think the left is less open to this than the right is that the left is all about freedom in the sense of 'fulfilling everyone's potential', whereas the right just doesn't care.

On distribution issues: Seize the means of media production? But then you're starting to get into full-blown USSR territory. The marketplace of ideas is clearly not working for the left though.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
please do not quote aceofflames until he's begun engaging constructively with his therapist, tia

pretty sure that's aof, guess i might be getting my nihilist ukmt posters mixed up

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I'd ask if they could defer it for a month politely as you're doing some exams for a post grad qualification (or similar excuse) without ever mentioning your intentions.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

namesake posted:

What's your history with the agency? Have they been responsive to your requests before or really bad? Something like carpets are probably easier to do when the property isn't tenanted so they might be very keen to know they can do it fuss free in a short period of time but that depends entirely on the service they normally give.

You must have a pretty short agreement if a months notice is too long, I wouldn't necessarily worry about the timing too much there.

No explicit beef with them, quite unresponsive with getting stuff done but not on the really bad scale.

ronya posted:

just suggest to postpone the carpet change by a couple of months first and see what the response is

you can say that it would be easier for you to arrange around it in January without saying why

FiftySeven posted:

Thanks guys. Doesn't seem like like an out and out keep quiet about it, so I'll think some more about telling them or perhaps more likely making another excuse.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Purple Prince posted:

Ends, means, etc. The reason I think the left is less open to this than the right is that the left is all about freedom in the sense of 'fulfilling everyone's potential', whereas the right just doesn't care.

On distribution issues: Seize the means of media production? But then you're starting to get into full-blown USSR territory. The marketplace of ideas is clearly not working for the left though.

Reinstating unions for workers at printing presses would be a good start.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ratjaculation posted:

Why is Orangina in the British Food section? :france:

Doesn't bode well for those lucrative Commonwealth Empire 2.0 trade deals, does it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just want to point out, you can bake your own cookies and whatnot. Instead of being limited to mass produced goods.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ratjaculation posted:

i have been known to willingly eat malt loaf from time to time but exporting it to other countries should be considered a crime against humanity. what have they done to be punished so

also only having the chocolate orange bars and not the actual chocolate oranges is sacrilege

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Angepain posted:

i have been known to willingly eat malt loaf from time to time but exporting it to other countries should be considered a crime against humanity. what have they done to be punished so

also only having the chocolate orange bars and not the actual chocolate oranges is sacrilege

Malt loaf toasted with butter is loving amazing and I will fight you. Agreed on the chocolate oranges though. How am I supposed to make a toblorange with just the bar? Shameful.

https://twitter.com/jameshannah/status/683375064373420032

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

StarkingBarfish posted:

Malt loaf toasted with butter is loving amazing and I will fight you.

look, I too have been afflicted with Enjoying Malt Loaf, I too know what it feels like, but I have the personal strength to admit that it is a defect of my personality, possibly due to poor parenting or being infected with Britishness at a young age. If you actually think about Malt Loaf objectively and rationally and ponder as to what could possibly be actually good about it, I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion. I'm not saying we can't Enjoy Malt Loaf quietly in the privacy of our own homes, but exporting to other lands and promoting the consumption of The Loaf as a pretended valid lifestyle is where we should draw the line.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Tarnop posted:

Reinstating unions for workers at printing presses would be a good start.

Agree.

Something that I have thought about a lot lately that's tangentially related: why do right wingers succeed? In part it's network effects and 'lol gently caress u got mine', but that mentality seems to be genuinely useful in succeeding under capitalism.

Right wing ideas like the just world hypothesis and the idea that everything that happens to you is your own responsibility are also indicators of mental health. Now whether this is because mental health is about adjusting to the world as it is I don't know, but it's a sad fact that left wing ideas like "systems and collectives determine outcomes more than individual behaviour or merit" are also depressive.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I will eat an entire malt loaf in one sitting, no slicing, no butter, just pure loaf in mouth.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

This looks like some sort of torture device.

Because it is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tsaedje posted:

I will eat an entire malt loaf in one sitting, no slicing, no butter, just pure loaf in mouth.

I wouldn't do this by choice but I have been gripped before by a burning need for malt loaf so strong I've eaten it unbuttered. Man I should get some malt loaf.

That supermarket selection doesn't look too bad, it has the 3 things I'd demand from any such display. Irn Bru, Tunnock's teacakes and jaffa cakes.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Why do people eat Malt Loaf untoasted?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Why does evil exist in the world?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Purple Prince posted:

Agree.

Something that I have thought about a lot lately that's tangentially related: why do right wingers succeed?

they haven't succeeded reliably. they decisively lost the culture war and government revenues and spending are the same as they ever were. the one huge, ginormous victory was the establishment of neoliberalism as the baseline philosophy, but that's a victory of the right of the 1980s, not of the modern right. hell, the modern left seems much keener on the free flow of capital than the right does.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If you have to respond to AoF, leave the quote empty so that the rest of us don't have to read his deluded, self-pitying drivel.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Ratjaculation posted:

I prefer it squishy

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Ah, that's what I was doing wrong. I'll give it another crack, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol SNP have officially declared they will support a caretaker Corbyn premiership to extend A50 and the Lib Dems immediately came out saying no, Jo Swinson will save us