Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That and crud getting on the lenses

Isn't sweat leaking into the headset also a factor if you store it that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I def clean the lenses with a microfiber religiously because seeing random crap magnified in the headset drives me insane, I figured that was the case for everyone. Also, I don't have the space for even 3x3, I'm not sweating inside this thing. I'm also never letting anyone else wear this now thanks to your post :barf:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The great VR conundrum is that HMD’s fall into the same shareable category as underwear and full-face helmets, except unlike underwear and helmets, people want to use your HMD. Gross but true.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The great VR conundrum is that HMD’s fall into the same shareable category as underwear and full-face helmets, except unlike underwear and helmets, people want to use your HMD. Gross but true.

I got the VR cover set that is meant for conferences and like 100 of the cotton stickers. It's nice being able to just trash the sweat after someone plays beat saber.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

zer0spunk posted:

I def clean the lenses with a microfiber religiously because seeing random crap magnified in the headset drives me insane, I figured that was the case for everyone. Also, I don't have the space for even 3x3, I'm not sweating inside this thing. I'm also never letting anyone else wear this now thanks to your post :barf:

Yea, i wipe out my lenses before/after every use. And if the difference in temperature from my head to the headset is enough to create fog, I'll endure that for five minutes, then pull off and wipe down.

I also do a recalibration every single time I put the headset on to make sure I have it positioned just-so.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NRVNQSR posted:

Ars Technica have a decent hands-on with Link and the hand tracking.

Which makes sense. If someone's sure they will only ever want to use it tethered then the S is a better headset for less money, but for most people the extra options from the Quest make it a more attractive alternative.

Yeah, the visual downgrade is pretty severe when tethering the Quest, apparently. Also the latency. The finger tracking is super limited due to the camera FoV on the Quest, and will probably be pretty janky with zero sort of feedback versus holding a controller. So keep your Rift S, there isn't any Quest-exclusive games yet anyways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So the Quest, when tethered, is not a good thing? Is it still an upgrade from the OG Oculus Rift?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

So the Quest, when tethered, is not a good thing? Is it still an upgrade from the OG Oculus Rift?

Compared to the OG Rift it should generally be a solid upgrade, but much like Rift to Rift S there will be some small trade-offs. The framerate is slightly lower, it sounds like there's some latency if you go looking for it, and some people like the new audio and tracking systems less than the old ones.

If you have an OG Rift and don't care about mobile use I'd say Quest Link is in a similar position to Rift S; they're both upgrades but maybe not worth it unless you have money to burn or you can get a good resale price for your OG.

Most people are going to care about mobile, though, which makes it an attractive proposition.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NRVNQSR posted:

Compared to the OG Rift it should generally be a solid upgrade, but much like Rift to Rift S there will be some small trade-offs. The framerate is slightly lower, it sounds like there's some latency if you go looking for it, and some people like the new audio and tracking systems less than the old ones.

If you have an OG Rift and don't care about mobile use I'd say Quest Link is in a similar position to Rift S; they're both upgrades but maybe not worth it unless you have money to burn or you can get a good resale price for your OG.

Most people are going to care about mobile, though, which makes it an attractive proposition.

Yea, I get that. I'm looking to get a Rift for my son for xmas and depending on how much I enjoy stealing his, I'd planned to upgrade my Oculus. I just don't want to get him one that's objectively worse than mine. He plans to use it mainly for the same reasons I do: No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just like they did with the Rift, right? :smith:

This is probably OK because it’s up high on a wall, but leaving the lenses facing up just feels wrong to me

Well the CV1 Rift cable is a propriety connector to carry HDMI, USB, and USB power. The Oculus Link cable just needs to be a long high quality, flexible, light USB cable with normal connectors.

I'm sure some cables out there are already pretty good, Oculus said they couldn't find one but that doesn't mean they went looking everywhere and now someone will probably step up and make one.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Is there latency or isn't there? Most reviews say there isn't and then Ars Technica is saying there's "clearly an extra few frames of latency". So what the hell?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, I get that. I'm looking to get a Rift for my son for xmas and depending on how much I enjoy stealing his, I'd planned to upgrade my Oculus. I just don't want to get him one that's objectively worse than mine. He plans to use it mainly for the same reasons I do: No Man's Sky and Elite Dangerous.

If you're just going into sim games like that where visual fidelity really shines, it's probably worth getting a Rift S over a Quest. A Quest with a Link for your son would be more suited if he was just playing VR in general or gonna take it round to his friends to share.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any reason the Link can’t be like 2 USB-C or even the same setup as the S/Original? Just seems odd to me the limit yourself to one port but I guess if one work well enough then why bother with anything else.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

AndrewP posted:

Is there latency or isn't there? Most reviews say there isn't and then Ars Technica is saying there's "clearly an extra few frames of latency". So what the hell?

:iiam: Personally I wouldn't buy a quest just for link until its actually released and being used in the real world.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're just going into sim games like that where visual fidelity really shines, it's probably worth getting a Rift S over a Quest. A Quest with a Link for your son would be more suited if he was just playing VR in general or gonna take it round to his friends to share.

Maybe I'll go with the S then. It's an xmas gift so hopefully it'll drop in price. And my son is like me...we don't have friends! He's so weird...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

There definitely is, technologically there has to be. The question is how much - it could theoretically range from barely noticeable to ALVR level not usuable, and from what I've heard it's close to "not a big deal." Ars Technica said it's roughly on the level of the HTC wireless adapter which seems to be pretty widely considered perfectly fine.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Okay. I'm not a VR snob who demands the latest and greatest in all aspects, but I generally feel like close-to-perfect latency and tracking are of supreme importance just to make VR "work". But I suppose there is a margin of latency that's still okay and hopefully the Link is within it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

There definitely is, technologically there has to be. The question is how much - it could theoretically range from barely noticeable to ALVR level not usuable, and from what I've heard it's close to "not a big deal." Ars Technica said it's roughly on the level of the HTC wireless adapter which seems to be pretty widely considered perfectly fine.

Well there is no latency in HMD position. They do a space-wrap so your head position and rotation is correctly shown however there is a slight latency on your hand controllers position/rotation.

So far most people seem to say it's very minor.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

it me

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Taintrunner posted:

Yeah, the visual downgrade is pretty severe when tethering the Quest, apparently. Also the latency. The finger tracking is super limited due to the camera FoV on the Quest, and will probably be pretty janky with zero sort of feedback versus holding a controller. So keep your Rift S, there isn't any Quest-exclusive games yet anyways.

That seems counter to what other hands on impressions have been.

Reading the article they seem mostly positive and it seems like you're mischaracterizing what they've said in regards to visual quality.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there any reason the Link can’t be like 2 USB-C or even the same setup as the S/Original? Just seems odd to me the limit yourself to one port but I guess if one work well enough then why bother with anything else.

Because the Quest already exists and only has one USB-C port.

If tethering it to a PC had been their goal from the start then potentially they could have built it with an extra HDMI port and a display controller, but even giving them the benefit of the doubt that they intended to do so that would still have added cost and weight.

AndrewP posted:

Okay. I'm not a VR snob who demands the latest and greatest in all aspects, but I generally feel like close-to-perfect latency and tracking are of supreme importance just to make VR "work". But I suppose there is a margin of latency that's still okay and hopefully the Link is within it.

I think it's just that there are different kinds of latency, and different reviewers will be commenting on different aspects of their 5-minute demo. Head rotation latency is the most important and with the Link it should be as good as it is everywhere else, since it's doing reprojection on the headset. What the Link will definitely add is some amounts of head position latency and controller tracking latency, which are generally much less of an issue for immersion and often won't be noticeable unless you're doing something that requires really fast and precise head or hand movement - like our old friend Beat Saber.

Of course for that specific case you can just playbuy it on Quest instead.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

USB4 is coming next year with 20 gigabit standard, compared to 10 gigabit for USB 3.x

There's a good chance that they'll release a pro or 1.5 version, like the Vive Pro, that has USB4 with significantly better lag and compression

USB4 supports up to 40gbps but my guess is that'll be limited to 6 feet, like thunderbolt 3

By using USB 3.x now they can switch to USB4 with very little tooling changes, since it's the same connector, just swap out the USB controller chip and maybe put in a revised snapdragon cpu for slightly better performance, and now you have the Xbox One S or Playstation 4 pro or whatever they're calling mid cycle upgrades these days that are still backwards compatible

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Ideally in a quest 2 they will have a direct signal path to the display from an external source rather than having to send and then decode it as a video. Or they will succeed in doing what Carmack was talking about in his presentation and be able to get direct access to the video processor on the snapdragon so that they can send a much lower level stream that has much less latency than what they can currently do.

My feeling on the whole quest link vs rift S is its way to premature to make a buying decision on so waiting until its live in the real world make a lot more sense. Madness I know.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hadlock posted:

USB4 is coming next year with 20 gigabit standard, compared to 10 gigabit for USB 3.x

There's a good chance that they'll release a pro or 1.5 version, like the Vive Pro, that has USB4 with significantly better lag and compression

USB4 supports up to 40gbps but my guess is that'll be limited to 6 feet, like thunderbolt 3

By using USB 3.x now they can switch to USB4 with very little tooling changes, since it's the same connector, just swap out the USB controller chip and maybe put in a revised snapdragon cpu for slightly better performance, and now you have the Xbox One S or Playstation 4 pro or whatever they're calling mid cycle upgrades these days that are still backwards compatible

If their fibre cable works as advertised, that distance is a non-issue. It'd run you about $150-$200 for a cable that'll do 40GB/s, but it'd be doable.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

From what I understood from Carmacks talk the link is only using 150 mbits a second so its well below the capacity of the cable. The bottleneck is how much the snapdragon on the quest can decode in realtime. They are currently sending and decoding entire frames but what Carmack would like to be able to do transmit and decode individual scanlines which would cause less latency. They can't currently do that due to the level of access they have to the video chip on the Snapdragon.

So it may well get better in the future on current hardware but :iiam: if that will actually happen. But just having a fatter pipe isn't going to improve it without a correspondingly faster processor on the quest.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If their fibre cable works as advertised, that distance is a non-issue. It'd run you about $150-$200 for a cable that'll do 40GB/s, but it'd be doable.

Afaik nobody is making fiber USB 3 or Thunderbolt 3 cables

Fiber Thunderbolt 2 cables exist but yeah they're like $250 because nobody uses them outside of newsrooms and movie studios. Active copper Thunderbolt 3 cables exist but for 40gbps you're limited to 6 feet and they cost $75+

USB4 is going to be around for a while as a base standard, it's very possible active fiber optic cables will exist at some point in the future but it's a wild guess as to what's going to happen in that space.

Going from copper to fiber optic for consumer cables would be a watershed moment, I don't see it on the horizon, but... Maybe?

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 27, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mashed_penguin posted:

From what I understood from Carmacks talk the link is only using 150 mbits a second so its well below the capacity of the cable. The bottleneck is how much the snapdragon on the quest can decode in realtime. ...

Yeah he said they could get it done with USB2, the USB3 and C/C cable is so it can carry enough power and to slightly increase reliability.

We only have to wait a few weeks to test/play with it ourselves.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Stick100 posted:

Yeah he said they could get it done with USB2, the USB3 and C/C cable is so it can carry enough power and to slightly increase reliability.

We only have to wait a few weeks to test/play with it ourselves.

Yeah, but we can argue about it RIGHT NOW. Thank you Internet. :P

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hadlock posted:

Fiber Thunderbolt 2 cables exist but yeah they're like $250 because nobody uses them outside of newsrooms and movie studios. Active copper Thunderbolt 3 cables exist but for 40gbps you're limited to 6 feet and they cost $75+

USB4 is going to be around for a while as a base standard, it's very possible active fiber optic cables will exist at some point in the future but it's a wild guess as to what's going to happen in that space.

Going from copper to fiber optic for consumer cables would be a watershed moment, I don't see it on the horizon, but... Maybe?

I'm waiting for the day when coprocessors go from metal to fiber/glass. That'll be neat. I'll be old. I like VR.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think if Oculus had hand-tracking on the table for the Quest all this time, they really shoud've designed the Touch-S controllers more like the Index ones and let them hang off your hand. Just so that finger-tracking or controller use isn't an either-or proposition like it seems to be.

It was mentioned during the detailed presentation on Link that currently they can only track either the hands or the controllers, not that it might not change in the future, but thats all the power they have available.

Frankly i'm stunned they're able to get world tracking, CV hand tracking, and games all at the same time out of that little 835. Heck they're also going to allow developers to use a streaming mode where it also does processing on the images and a 3rd camera viewport, also running on top of everything at the same time.

crazy stuff

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

It was mentioned during the detailed presentation on Link that currently they can only track either the hands or the controllers, not that it might not change in the future, but thats all the power they have available.

Frankly i'm stunned they're able to get world tracking, CV hand tracking, and games all at the same time out of that little 835. Heck they're also going to allow developers to use a streaming mode where it also does processing on the images and a 3rd camera viewport, also running on top of everything at the same time.

crazy stuff

Agreed, it absolutely proves out Carmacks point years ago that the devices we have are capable of so much more than we expect because no one has tried really hard to push them.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mashed_penguin posted:

Ideally in a quest 2 they will have a direct signal path to the display from an external source rather than having to send and then decode it as a video.
Agreed. I've been saying since the Quest was announced that it'd be so much better if the USB-C port were able to support VirtualLink or DisplayPort Alternate Mode as an input. VirtualLink would technically be better as it offers USB 3.1 data transfer speeds along with four lanes of DisplayPort, but I don't know if the back channel really needs to be any faster than USB 2.0 so normal DisplayPort Alt Mode in four lane mode might work just fine.

quote:

Or they will succeed in doing what Carmack was talking about in his presentation and be able to get direct access to the video processor on the snapdragon so that they can send a much lower level stream that has much less latency than what they can currently do.
That could reduce the latency on the Quest end, but USB and video compression will still be significant factors.

quote:

My feeling on the whole quest link vs rift S is its way to premature to make a buying decision on so waiting until its live in the real world make a lot more sense. Madness I know.
IMO what this has done is cemented the Quest's place as the perfect "gateway drug" to VR. You can start off with a single purchase use-anywhere device that's basically a VR game console and if you have access to a decent PC you can take a peek down the rabbit hole. I see no good reason for anyone to ever buy a WMR device or Monoculus unless they're already a VR enthusiast and know exactly what they're getting.

If your primary use case is as a PC VR headset though, a Rift S will still be a better choice IMO.

As a Vive owner who was already pondering a Quest but also considering another used Vive as a second headset, now the Quest is the obvious choice.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
The Rift S might be the better choice, but it’s not the best choice for everyone. The recommended IPD range on the Rift S is criminally small and cuts out a significant portion of potential users. Me included.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Look at the cabling on the XR-1 :ssh:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The Rift S might be the better choice, but it’s not the best choice for everyone. The recommended IPD range on the Rift S is criminally small and cuts out a significant portion of potential users. Me included.

o_____o is not normal.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

EbolaIvory posted:

The hand tracking, while neat, isn’t something to sell a pc headset on because it’s not great, it’s a neat feature for a mobile headset that can do basic things.

What? This is like, the biggest thing for me in terms of VR that I want solved. Always having something in your hands sucks and having super fine motor controls is amazing.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RFC2324 posted:

o_____o is not normal.

:melter:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

wolrah posted:

That could reduce the latency on the Quest end, but USB and video compression will still be significant factors.

Well Carmack was confident he could reduce the motion to photon latency (of Quest HMD) to less than the Rift S with the rolling shutter optimization because they do a Spacewarp right before rendering. So I think the Oculus Link motion to photon latency is going to be nearly identical between Quest/S.

You'll still have some controller latency and compression artifacts but I'm optimistic that the Oculus link will be nearly imperceptible. When ALVR is working well it's hardly noticeable and their solution seems much more optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sigher posted:

What? This is like, the biggest thing for me in terms of VR that I want solved. Always having something in your hands sucks and having super fine motor controls is amazing.

You won't have super fine motor controls. Hand tracking will best be used for video and simple enterprise training. For games you're absolutely going to want controllers. Just remember the kinect.