Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
It looks like Merriam-Webster is trolling the impeachment drama, one word at a time

Merriam-Webster smells blood!

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

What do you mean by hosed?

You think republican senators care?

If they are confident they’re doing a great job of hiding it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

She's completely bungling the political strategy as usual. Instead of hearings and new dirt on Trump dominating the news for the next year she wants to get it over quickly.... For what? To pass more bills Mitch McConnell will shred? Trump should be taking a beating like he is this week for the next year and she doesn't seem to want that.
Yeah, I can see how moving quickly over the last 4-5 days has been disastrous for them, u got it

The point is to force Republican Senators to vote on it soon so that Gardner, Tillis, Collins and McSally all have to defend their choice to their voters. She might play it differently if support for impeachment continues to grow, but we're in a very different world than we were 4 days ago, and "stringing it out" may not actually be the best strategy.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Mahoning posted:

And honestly, Trump kinda ran on a populist anti-war platform which honestly probably got him a non-zero number of votes from people who knew Hillary was a war hawk. So there’s at least a portion of his base that is anti-war and “America first!” that would be turned off by him starting a war.

Ancedotal, but I know of several people first hand who voted for Trump and defend it with the "Donald the Dove, Hillary the Hawk" narrative.

There were people on this very forum arguing that narrative as well.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

She is afraid that the Republicans will do it to her because she's crooked as poo poo.

She's only crooked as in typical Washington crooked. The main issue is that she's from a different political era which makes her incompetent politically and completely unsuited to the historical moment. She has no idea what she's up against and literally no strategy to win other than short term holds.

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah, I can see how moving quickly over the last 4-5 days has been disastrous for them, u got it

The point is to force Republican Senators to vote on it soon so that Gardner, Tillis, Collins and McSally all have to defend their choice to their voters. She might play it differently if support for impeachment continues to grow, but we're in a very different world than we were 4 days ago, and "stringing it out" may not actually be the best strategy.

Your logic here makes no sense. D's are politically winning this week (through nothing they themselves did) and Pelosi is trying to make this week's story as short as possible. How could that possibly be a good idea?

Your second point makes even less sense. Make them take the vote as close to the election as possible!!!! (If there even is a vote)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

She's completely bungling the political strategy as usual. Instead of hearings and new dirt on Trump dominating the news for the next year she wants to get it over quickly.... For what? To pass more bills Mitch McConnell will shred? Trump should be taking a beating like he is this week for the next year and she doesn't seem to want that.

If you think that the goal is removal or forcing Trump to resign, then focusing on a narrow "this is obviously illegal" band is more sensible than dragging every little thing out.

Like Ukraine might not be the most impeachable thing this administration has done. But it's easily the least defensible, and sufficient grounds on its own.

ETA: That's if the goal is removal. Dragging every misdeed out is almost certainly better from a perspective accepting that removal won't happen.

Rosalie_A fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 27, 2019

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Trasson posted:

If you think that the goal is removal or forcing Trump to resign, then focusing on a narrow "this is obviously illegal" band is more sensible than dragging every little thing out.

Like Ukraine might not be the most impeachable thing this administration has done. But it's easily the least defensible, and sufficient grounds on its own.

If she thinks he's getting removed or resigning she's even more of an incompetent moron than I thought she was.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ancedotal, but I know of several people first hand who voted for Trump and defend it with the "Donald the Dove, Hillary the Hawk" narrative.

There were people on this very forum arguing that narrative as well.

They might still have been right though, Trump is incredibly cowardly and far too stupid to take the steps required to start a war.

Hillary probably would have used our Military more.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hidden_msg posted:

Please tell me there is something preventing us from going to war while the president is actively being investigated.

I can't do that, Dave.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Trump’s insurance policy against impeachment would be making Pence an obvious accomplice. The likelihood that you would get 18 Republican Senators to vote to put Pelosi in the White House is low. If Pence was one of the main actors in this impeachment stuff and Trump immediately throws him under the bus, then the Government reaches an impasse.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ryde posted:

Americans are dumb and war did wonders for Bush's approval ratings in the short term, so I fully suspect the R's to rush headlong into military action.

This would be misunderstanding their constituency on a fundamental level. They don't want an external war with external enemies. They want an internal war on what they view as internal enemies.

A war wouldn't achieve the results that they want. The American people are war weary.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

If she thinks he's getting removed or resigning she's even more of an incompetent moron than I thought she was.

I added this in an edit, but I don't really disagree.

Though there's a small part of me that hopes anyway.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Trasson posted:

ETA: That's if the goal is removal. Dragging every misdeed out is almost certainly better from a perspective accepting that removal won't happen.

It's also the easiest to explain.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

She doesn’t think that she can convince the Senate, which is why she wants to get Senate Rs on record saying that this is okay as soon as possible.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

OUTSTANDING! Because Trump is exactly the kind of idiot that will try to start multiple crisis to pump up his ratings without having any strategy for when he gets over his head other than to point fingers.

:shepicide:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

She just now qualified for the debate in October. She did not want to get wrecked for being the only Democrat on stage opposing impeachment. Her likely primary challenger was also beating her over the head with it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mcmagic posted:

She's only crooked as in typical Washington crooked.
Which is still illegal, and she doesn't have enough friends left to win that argument if she ends up in the wrong side of a bunch of disgruntled CHUD congressmen. Half of her own caucus loving hates her, and the other half would gladly slide the knife in for a chance at her job.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

mdemone posted:

I can't do that, Dave.

I legit chuckled.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stereotype posted:

She doesn’t think that she can convince the Senate, which is why she wants to get Senate Rs on record saying that this is okay as soon as possible.

Again, WHY as soon as possible? Make them take that vote as close to the election as possible if a vote even happens.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ice Phisherman posted:

This would be misunderstanding their constituency on a fundamental level. They don't want an external war with external enemies. They want an internal war on what they view as internal enemies.

A war wouldn't achieve the results that they want. The American people are war weary.

Extending on that, there was enough cause for war with the bombings in Saudi Arabia and attacks on takers in the Gulf. If Trump didn’t start a war then, either in Iran or Yemen, he’s not going to start a war against Syria.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
It is a good idea to not drag anything else into this guys. Americans are stupid and as soon as you mention another topic their brains will run out of space, explode, and they’ll give up and revert to assuming this is some crazy political stunt that isn’t real.

I mean gently caress, Americans think BLM has too many demands even though it only has one.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Again, WHY as soon as possible? Make them take that vote as close to the election as possible if a vote even happens.

To be fair, narrow and swift in Congressional investigation land might still be ten plus months.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Lote posted:

Trump’s insurance policy against impeachment would be making Pence an obvious accomplice. The likelihood that you would get 18 Republican Senators to vote to put Pelosi in the White House is low. If Pence was one of the main actors in this impeachment stuff and Trump immediately throws him under the bus, then the Government reaches an impasse.

The GOP would not ever be forced into a "both or nothing" situation. Pence is quite obviously far less culpible to anything Trump has done. In this highly unlikely scenario, they would throw out Trump and kiss Pence's ring.

Trump's true leverage is an entire year of storming through the country into every red state demanding that the MAGA chuds torch every Republican who betrayed him, Trump would no longer care if the Dems won everything.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

We're down to 12
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/463222-here-are-the-house-democrats-who-arent-backing-trump-impeachment-inquiry

223 Democrats agree with the inquiry. 218 are needed for formal impeachment. (well, 217 + Amash, I guess)

Only 12 haven't said they supported, and the majority of those people haven't said anything.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
How are you weird nerds talking about Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi bad at a time like this?

Like it's absolutely a new level of broke brain.

Trump is simultaneously writing on the walls with poop trying to crash the economy and trying to start a war in Syria Iran and anywhere else to do anything and y'all are arguing that Nancy Pelosi exists and Hillary Clinton would have started more wars.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Trasson posted:

To be fair, narrow and swift in Congressional investigation land might still be ten plus months.

They are talking about a vote before Thanksgiving...

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Because 70% of the country will assume that all presidents have asked foreign nations for political dirt on their opponents in 9 months if they don’t make a point of it right now.

At least if they vote soon Americans will remember something vaguely negative like “Rs support Trump’s corruption”

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

they might. mostly what i hear is December or january/February.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Which is still illegal, and she doesn't have enough friends left to win that argument if she ends up in the wrong side of a bunch of disgruntled CHUD congressmen. Half of her own caucus loving hates her, and the other half would gladly slide the knife in for a chance at her job.

Pelosi is beyond useless, but what exactly has she done that's illegal? Any specific allegations?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

mcmagic posted:

The voters would get tired and bored, and go "ugh, we GET IT already. Wrap this up please." The voters were interested in Mueller's investigation for 5-6 months or so.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Is there anything stopping the Democrats from voting on Articles of Impeachment piecemeal? It's just a majority vote, right? Like they could have hearings on Ukraine and pass Articles of Impeachment to the Senate while still continuing other inquiries and potentially other Articles down the line and rationalize it with wanting to be thorough. Sure, they'd likely get criticized by Republicans and it'd be easier to portray it as a fishing expedition, but GOP gonna GOP anyway

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

hidden_msg posted:

OUTSTANDING! Because Trump is exactly the kind of idiot that will try to start multiple crisis to pump up his ratings without having any strategy for when he gets over his head other than to point fingers.

:shepicide:

I actually think his mental pathology will inhibit him from going to war. I don't think he can stand the possibility of losing a military conflict, so he'll avoid it altogether.

He's a bully. He will issue some statement about Assad, threaten something or have Pompeo do it on his behalf, and not do anything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rigel posted:

The voters would get tired and bored, and go "ugh, we GET IT already. Wrap this up please." The voters were interested in Mueller's investigation for 5-6 months or so.

mueller's investigation was behind closed doors with almost no leaks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Stereotype posted:

Because 70% of the country will assume that all presidents have asked foreign nations for political dirt on their opponents in 9 months if they don’t make a point of it right now.

At least if they vote soon Americans will remember something vaguely negative like “Rs support Trump’s corruption”

Yeah I think this analysis is 100% wrong. There is clearly a cover up going on in the white house and clearly more illegal activity going on that would drip out in a real investigation and that would be damaging to Trump.

And you still haven't answered why the “Rs support Trump’s corruption” headlines shouldn't be as close to the election as possible.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

twice burned ice posted:

Pelosi is beyond useless, but what exactly has she done that's illegal? Any specific allegations?

I don't really care if she's not doing anything illegal. What I care about is that it took someone from the CIA to pull the trigger on this rather than her doing her loving job and launching impeachment inquiries for Trump's many, MANY crimes in office and out.

If she can't do her job she shouldn't be speaker. If she has to be dragged and shamed into doing her job she shouldn't be speaker. She's literally a Reagan democrat and needs to gently caress off forever.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

That puts it in the timeframe where impeachment would have the country’s undivided attention. Once you push it into primary season, it becomes a complete shitshow where people are gonna want to tune out politics altogether.

I’m not sure I agree with the strategy or not. But I can certainly understand that reasoning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bird cooch posted:

How are you weird nerds talking about Hillary Clinton and Nancy Pelosi bad at a time like this?

Like it's absolutely a new level of broke brain.

Trump is simultaneously writing on the walls with poop trying to crash the economy and trying to start a war in Syria Iran and anywhere else to do anything and y'all are arguing that Nancy Pelosi exists and Hillary Clinton would have started more wars.

A turnip could've accomplished what pelosi did. She didn't do anything and she had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing the bare minimum.

the takeaway from this episode isn't 'pelosi, not bad??' it's 'hold your loving politicians feet to the fire if you want them to do even the basics of their constitutionally mandated job'

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I think this analysis is 100% wrong. There is clearly a cover up going on in the white house and clearly more illegal activity going on that would drip out in a real investigation and that would be damaging to Trump.

And you still haven't answered why the “Rs support Trump’s corruption” headlines shouldn't be as close to the election as possible.

and the dems are gonna use the those crimes to add on to impeachment because its part of the trail.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
With the Democrats finally doing what so many people angrily demanded they do, the time has come to once again shift the goalposts and yell "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" lest they ever admit the Dems are in fact, not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

negativeneil posted:

Is there anything stopping the Democrats from voting on Articles of Impeachment piecemeal? It's just a majority vote, right? Like they could have hearings on Ukraine and pass Articles of Impeachment to the Senate while still continuing other inquiries and potentially other Articles down the line and rationalize it with wanting to be thorough. Sure, they'd likely get criticized by Republicans and it'd be easier to portray it as a fishing expedition, but GOP gonna GOP anyway

I've got to imagine that gives McConnell an easy out of "i'm waiting until all the impeachments happen before we bring it to the Senate" and then he will just claim that he isn't sure if the house is done yet or not