Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

What's wrong with him? I missed the pre-order because I wasn't paying attention and was kinda mad about that. Did I dodge a bullet?

It's just a heavy retool of PotP Optimus and doesn't do enough with the mold to make it worth $95. Are you in the US? TCP still has preorders

https://www.thechosenprime.com/TGSStarConvoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

It's just a heavy retool of PotP Optimus and doesn't do enough with the mold to make it worth $95. Are you in the US? TCP still has preorders

https://www.thechosenprime.com/TGSStarConvoy

That's just an ugly PotP Optimus yeah

Wasn't there a really good oversized PotP Optimus? Because that seriously might be my favorite Optimus design

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

That's just an ugly PotP Optimus yeah

Wasn't there a really good oversized PotP Optimus? Because that seriously might be my favorite Optimus design

Why yes there is.

Of course I own it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

for a little while i was looking at the Toyworld coneheads, and thrust was the one who was hardest to find anywhere, so I think he must be the most popular with everyone (understandably). i hope when the maketoys one comes out he doesn't sell out instantly. maketoys did a really nice gigantic scorponok, but he's just too pricey for me to justify at the moment. I am considering their Striker Noir to be my nemesis prime/scourge representative eventually.

i've been looking back at the covers of the old marvel comic, cause there are some totally badass ones:

(some day i'll have mp scale versions of all these guys)

out of curiosity I looked up the issues with cover dates in the month i was born (july 89), and they have basically my four favourite G1 guys on the covers: Galvatron, Shockwave, Megatron and Bludgeon:

which is a fun coincidence

edit: speak of the one eyed devil, my fever-purchase arrived!

Doing his best 'TRANSFORMERS are all dead' pose

Using the toys to recreate classic covers from the Transformers comic would be an awesome project.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ruddiger posted:

Using the toys to recreate classic covers from the Transformers comic would be an awesome project.

It's been done a bunch but there's no real organized project.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Updated desk display.

Thinking of getting a fake gold chain and looping it on his arms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ew, MTG sighted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Why yes there is.

Of course I own it.

Would you mind showing and/or linking it?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Ew, MTG sighted.
Collector packs BITCH

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

https://showzstore.com/black-mamba-6002-8-field-commander-pp-09-pp09-optimus-prisme-oversized_p1016.html

The Black Mamba OS PotP Prime. Sold out at SHowZ, not sure about elsewhere. Not only upscaled but remolded to moved the kibble off his arms down to his legs. Very sold build and essential every bit as poseable as the original. I almost passed on this guy and I'm glad I didn't Eventually the entire bottom row of my detolf wall will be Primes and this guy is a welcome addition.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

https://showzstore.com/black-mamba-6002-8-field-commander-pp-09-pp09-optimus-prisme-oversized_p1016.html

The Black Mamba OS PotP Prime. Sold out at SHowZ, not sure about elsewhere. Not only upscaled but remolded to moved the kibble off his arms down to his legs. Very sold build and essential every bit as poseable as the original. I almost passed on this guy and I'm glad I didn't Eventually the entire bottom row of my detolf wall will be Primes and this guy is a welcome addition.

Did they make any changes to Orion Pax? Also did they do a Nemesis version?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Pax appears unchanged. But he is pretty much MP-scaled and the sculpt is as close to toon accurate as we'll ever see. No Nemesis deco that I'm aware of.

TR Hardhead for scale

Edit: Bonus PAAAAAAX

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 27, 2019

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is that the original or the 2.0 revision? I've got the 2.0 revision in my Pile of Loot right now, all the reviews I've seen seem to be for the original toy.

It's the 2.0. Other than the buggy cage it's entirely fine.

quote:

Whoa there. I think MP Hot Rod is very good. He's not near the bottom of that list at all! Better than Tracks and probably Wheeljack and Grimlock at any rate.

MP Hot Rod is garbage. Hilariously gigantic backpack, gimpy proportions, lovely shoulders, skinny legs. The robot mode is a mess. Vehicle mode is good but I don't display them in vehicle mode. Hoodlum has a lot of problems, too, but it's absolutely better than Takara's in every way. Nobody has really nailed Hot Rod yet. Those movie designs are tricky.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
With FT going back to the well on one of their worst figures (Seaspray) I bet they'll do a Hoodlum 2.0 down the line.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MP Hot Rod is loving embarrassingly bad. It looks like the robot mode was designed either by someone that hates Hot Rod, or a committee of people who had heard of the character and worked from blurry still images taken from an 80s television ad.

I tried selling mine and surprise surprise, no one wants it because it's poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Hot Rod is also a case where Modern MP Articulation - ab crunch, double knees and elbows, butterfly shoulders - was clearly an ambition, but no one knew how to make it actually good.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hoodlum is the only fans toys figure in stock in any of the uk websites that carry 3rd party TFs, so i took that as a bad sign.

i like setting up the lil powermaster guy like this on SG powermaster prime, it adds a nice sense of scale to the big boy:

i guess evil Hi-Q would be Die-Q

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

YESSSSSS OVERSIZE IS LYFE

who makes the oversized one i cant find it on showz

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

MP Hot Rod is garbage. Hilariously gigantic backpack, gimpy proportions, lovely shoulders, skinny legs. The robot mode is a mess. Vehicle mode is good but I don't display them in vehicle mode. Hoodlum has a lot of problems, too, but it's absolutely better than Takara's in every way. Nobody has really nailed Hot Rod yet. Those movie designs are tricky.

Spiderdrake posted:

MP Hot Rod is loving embarrassingly bad. It looks like the robot mode was designed either by someone that hates Hot Rod, or a committee of people who had heard of the character and worked from blurry still images taken from an 80s television ad.

I tried selling mine and surprise surprise, no one wants it because it's poo poo.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hot Rod is also a case where Modern MP Articulation - ab crunch, double knees and elbows, butterfly shoulders - was clearly an ambition, but no one knew how to make it actually good.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The legends Hot Rod I have is real bad too and I can't wait for the MFT Rodimus to come out so I'll have a decent one

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

its never leg day for hotrod, but it is often finger day

people were really bitchy about the core powermaster prime in the fanshobby version, cause of the hollows next to the ab grill, but i kind of like it on shattered glass prime, it doesn't stand out as much with the muted colours, and it gives him a more skeletal look that fits with his kinda skinny pelvis and general evilness. I guess it works less well for regular prime, but eh.

edit: man it is so hard to pick a favourite dinobot. Sludge and Slag have to be up there just for this scene where they talk about how to tell who is friendly and who is an enemy. Grimlock is great, swoop is great, I think snarl is the only one who doesn't get any top notch scenes in the cartoon. Poor guy.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 28, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I was a kid I wasn't sure if Ravage was a panther or a big black dog, pretty much until he was in Beast Wars.

I mention this because of something I saw in PYF today

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

banned from Starbucks posted:

who makes the oversized one i cant find it on showz

It hasn't gone up for orders yet over there. TfSource is saying $125 but that's nuts, the Optimus OS was $80.

Edit: haha! $89!

https://showzstore.com/model-wizard-t-08-shake-sky-wing_p1686.html

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 28, 2019

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Well, i ordered the Jinbao Oversized Gravity Builder plus the upgrade kit, and guess which one came today!

i guess at least I can set up shakespearean tragedies with the head:

"Alas, poor Devastator, I knew him, Decepticons!"

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Apparently a bunch of old Legends scale figures have gotten a rerelease at various discount stores

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Ew, MTG sighted.

More to the point, the pins are not in the right order

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mehall posted:

More to the point, the pins are not in the right order

That’s on purpose.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently a bunch of old Legends scale figures have gotten a rerelease at various discount stores

any word on which ones?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Well, i ordered the Jinbao Oversized Gravity Builder plus the upgrade kit, and guess which one came today!

i guess at least I can set up shakespearean tragedies with the head:

"Alas, poor Devastator, I knew him, Decepticons!"

Great pic

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Hot Rod's moment of clarity hits hard.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

Hot Rod's moment of clarity hits hard.

That's his reaction to your opinion of him.

Sure, he's not cartoon-accurate or as good as Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, or Prowl, but he's better than Tracks. So he's got a (pretty compact, honestly) backpack and skips leg day at the robo-gym.

So does Shockwave. 😈

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot Rod is crappy but he's better than Rodimus Prime.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's his reaction to your opinion of him.

Do you really think I didn't understand that? Reeeeaaaaaallllllly?

quote:

Sure, he's not cartoon-accurate or as good as Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, or Prowl, but he's better than Tracks. So he's got a (pretty compact, honestly) backpack and skips leg day at the robo-gym.

So does Shockwave. 😈

I don't like Tracks' mold at all, but it's absolutely better than Hot Rod. Tracks, at least head-on, looks like the cartoon character. Hot Rod, even with the head-on benefit of not being able to see that gigantic dogshit backpack, looks like something that has once heard of the cartoon character. I mean look at that poo poo. His arms are proportioned like a gorilla, his hand is bigger than his head, his torso doesn't even try to taper into his waist, the legs are pipe cleaners...it's embarrassing. They charged money for that. It's borderline criminal.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

Do you really think I didn't understand that? Reeeeaaaaaallllllly?

I don't know what to think anymore, you don't seem to like MP Hot Rod.

Keldroc posted:

I don't like Tracks' mold at all, but it's absolutely better than Hot Rod. Tracks, at least head-on, looks like the cartoon character. Hot Rod, even with the head-on benefit of not being able to see that gigantic dogshit backpack, looks like something that has once heard of the cartoon character. I mean look at that poo poo. His arms are proportioned like a gorilla, his hand is bigger than his head, his torso doesn't even try to taper into his waist, the legs are pipe cleaners...it's embarrassing. They charged money for that. It's borderline criminal.

Wow.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
wait, people hate MP hot rod? he seems pretty alright to me, we're talking about this fella right?

he's not perfect but he's certainly not original MP megatron bad or rodimus prime bad or something. transforming him and posing him is good fun, he can strike some pretty great poses.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
he's a totally functional toy but he has some serious issues. His visor breaks, his chrome rubs off, his backpack pushes his spoiler too far back from his shoulderline and is incredibly messy from the front/top, and his proportions need work.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

He’s a great $35 KO and a poor $75 original, IMO

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

He’s a great $35 KO and a poor $75 original, IMO

That's what I said!

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I have the V2 Arkose and i think he does fine for filling the shelf spot...XTB makes some pretty solid minibots. Their Cosmos is by far the best one out there, and the Seaspray they just did is really great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

TheDK posted:

Great pic

thanks! i was worrying i was just pissing everyone off with my pics.

i like this quakeblast a lot. I think the purple takara one is a better cartoon likeness, especially with the legs, but this guy is a pretty flawless IDW shockwave:

I like the scale of him too. Takara shockwave is a lil small, I always envisioned Shockwave as being one of the most powerful decepticons because megatron left him to guard cybertron solo.