Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Yeah, the Aerodyne has a curved top and is pretty lightweight as well. It also only comes in black unless you get a special Japanese import. It does lose the vintage jazz bass vibe though.

I don’t know other makers who do that thing as a stock offering. Any luthier could probably make it happen. Or Warmoth parts bass route as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Why would you get a non-black Aerodyne. Tobacco burst or whatever? get out of here!!!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The black aerodyne is the best fingerprint transfer I've ever seen.

Also an amazing bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
For real. Aerodynes are loving sexy, and that black with the cream binding is fantastic.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I'm not a big fan of black instruments because I feel that they blend in to the background too much. I mean if I'm aurally assaulting people, then I should at least be consistent and assault their visual system.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rifter17 posted:

I'm not a big fan of black instruments because I feel that they blend in to the background too much. I mean if I'm aurally assaulting people, then I should at least be consistent and assault their visual system.

Problem solved!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's cool, but Aerodynes are classy as heck and I can't imagine getting a version that messes with that look. I guess there's people who just want the design features but those people are wrong ok fine but still those instruments are beautiful and I don't usually care about this stuff

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I guess the answer is to go full Mono Neon.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Does anyone have a Yamaha BB234?

I think I finally settled on the bass I want and this is it. It's a PJ, which means that it has both kinds of pickups? I also really like the aesthetics, especially the natural finish. The Squier offerings didn't really grab me.

I'm a guitar player, but I wanted to get more well-rounded and have some fun at the same time.

I have a BB434 which looks like basically the same thing. I loving love the thing

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Pics with more bass and less doggo on Instagram

I drat near bought a Sweetwater trans purple one (there's one listed for a surprisingly low price on Reverb) but instead I picked up this '06 55-02 from Guitar Walmart. It must have been dropped at some point because there's a chip near the output jack, and it was decently patched up but is still noticeable. It simply meant I would pay a lower price compared to equivalent models for this minor cosmetic issue on a workhorse gigging bass.

Electronics are all fine other than the bass pot needing a squirt of deoxit. Tonight I'll do a setup and see how well she plays - it was shipped with loose strings so I'm letting the bass sit for a day with new fully tensioned strings before I make any adjustments. Frets seem to be in good shape, with no apparent dead spots or problem areas.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

Pics with more bass and less doggo on Instagram

I drat near bought a Sweetwater trans purple one (there's one listed for a surprisingly low price on Reverb) but instead I picked up this '06 55-02 from Guitar Walmart. It must have been dropped at some point because there's a chip near the output jack, and it was decently patched up but is still noticeable. It simply meant I would pay a lower price compared to equivalent models for this minor cosmetic issue on a workhorse gigging bass.

Electronics are all fine other than the bass pot needing a squirt of deoxit. Tonight I'll do a setup and see how well she plays - it was shipped with loose strings so I'm letting the bass sit for a day with new fully tensioned strings before I make any adjustments. Frets seem to be in good shape, with no apparent dead spots or problem areas.

Enjoy it! I love my '04, the Bartolini electronics in those older Laklands are fantastic!

It always astounds me the difference in sound you get with the coil tap switch. Also, dont forget you can pop open the electronics cavity and adjust the dip switches to change the mid frequency. Imo it really comes alive boosting it at 850hz

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
The dip switches are on my list of things to mess with tonight, if I get the setup how I like it.

I definitely like having the coil tap available, I'll be spending some time finding the right settings to get a Fender J slap tone. I know I can get plenty of usable fingerstyle tone variations with any of my basses, but none can do that double J pickup slap sound. Hopefully I can get pretty close to it now!

E: this bass has the Lakland pickups, not the barts. I haven't checked the preamp but I would guess it has the LH3 pre since it has the Lakland pickups.

Unless the pickups are just Barts with a Lakland cover?

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 26, 2019

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

The Science Goy posted:

The dip switches are on my list of things to mess with tonight, if I get the setup how I like it.

I definitely like having the coil tap available, I'll be spending some time finding the right settings to get a Fender J slap tone. I know I can get plenty of usable fingerstyle tone variations with any of my basses, but none can do that double J pickup slap sound. Hopefully I can get pretty close to it now!

E: this bass has the Lakland pickups, not the barts. I haven't checked the preamp but I would guess it has the LH3 pre since it has the Lakland pickups.

Unless the pickups are just Barts with a Lakland cover?

Now that I look back, I think they started dropping in the LH3 system around 06/07...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Rifter17 posted:

Fender's Aerodyne bass is a jazz shape with PJ pickups.

Fender's Reggie Hamilton bass is another option, but appears to be discontinued.

The Mark Hoppus bass has a J body with only a P pickup. This one also has more of a precision neck too.

I used to be searching for a P bass with a jazz neck for a while until I found a Yamaha Attitude bass and learned to love huge necks.

The Fender Precision Bass Special is what you want, MIM deluxe series, passive models were 98-03

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Risky Bisquick posted:

The Fender Precision Bass Special is what you want, MIM deluxe series, passive models were 98-03

There's also the Jazz Special which is the same idea but with a more confusing name. I think those go for a lot more, though, unless there's been reissues.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Anime Reference posted:

There's also the Jazz Special which is the same idea but with a more confusing name. I think those go for a lot more, though, unless there's been reissues.

The only reissue I know of was the reissue of Duff McKagan's bass.

I'm guessing they're not as common because with a P-bass body and a P/J configuration, most people didn't see much of a reason to get this instead of the frequently available Precision Special. I know the JSpec had a few things the Pspec doesn't, like a toggle switch and a TBX tone circuit, but it just never took off, and the Pspec did. Pspec's even had Jazz necks for a long time, and might still be available with them, although I believe they switched to P-width necks a while back.

Isnak
Sep 15, 2006
Bonyour!
Anyone have any experience with G&L Tributes? I have a hankering for a precision and I'm torn between the LB-100 and the Squire CV 70's, I managed to snag a case for cheap offa eBay so I have to get one now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

If you're going to get neon strings, get the rainbow set:

Washburn xb125, strings are quite worn, but it's very pretty under a blacklight.

Isnak posted:

Anyone have any experience with G&L Tributes? I have a hankering for a precision and I'm torn between the LB-100 and the Squire CV 70's, I managed to snag a case for cheap offa eBay so I have to get one now.

I love my Tribute SB-2, but it's not a traditional P sound. The G&L Tributes are great value and the LB-100 will have the right P sound, and be very resonant with that bridge. Do try and play both, G&L's are physically comfortable for me but YMMV.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Yamaha is pretty much my go to, especially if it's going to be the only type of instrument I have. My first guitar is an acoustic Yam, my first electric is a Pacifica, and my amp is a THR.

I'd probably just get a TRBX, I was looking at them, but I didn't really care for how the top horn juts out the way it does. I know it's a nitpick and not even a musical one, but the BB234 shape is more my speed.

Just picked up a BB234-BL on Reverb for about 50% of retail. I haven't had a bass in a couple years now, so I'm definitely looking forward to laying down some grooves.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I had a BB1200 something in the 80s. Was really a nice solid bass. Heavy as hell and sounded a lot beefier than another Yamaha a friend picked up that was some different, lighter model.

I don't exactly need another bass, but I kind of want a simple 4-string passive BB for muted P sounds on a bass that's easier to play than a 4003.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Gorgar posted:

I had a BB1200 something in the 80s. Was really a nice solid bass. Heavy as hell and sounded a lot beefier than another Yamaha a friend picked up that was some different, lighter model.

I don't exactly need another bass, but I kind of want a simple 4-string passive BB for muted P sounds on a bass that's easier to play than a 4003.

If the main requirement is that it's easier to play than a 4003, may I suggest a telephone pole lag-bolted to a pier and strung with a single 1" diameter steel cable?

(I'm only slightly kidding. My crush on Rickenbacker ended about one minute into playing one for the first time.)

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

They sound so good though! Mostly my complaint is that I like to play fast on a short scale with humbuckers, where my small hands (shut up) are comfortable and the sound is consistent. Ricks require more skill because they’re more expressive. Though I did find out that Alan Davey, who played the sort of fast bassline I like in Hawkwind, used a Rick. There’s something about the clarity of the attack on those things, even with the tone down and without the growl.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

tarlibone posted:

If the main requirement is that it's easier to play than a 4003, may I suggest a telephone pole lag-bolted to a pier and strung with a single 1" diameter steel cable?

(I'm only slightly kidding. My crush on Rickenbacker ended about one minute into playing one for the first time.)

You are not alone. I was so disappointed when I finally got to try one, but they are just not very nice to play. I guess part of the reason is that they are one of the few basses that aren't just copied from Fender, which means they actually have their development history where the designers made some radically different choices. I mean, not completely radical, but still different from anything else essentially.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

nitsuga posted:

Just picked up a BB234-BL on Reverb for about 50% of retail. I haven't had a bass in a couple years now, so I'm definitely looking forward to laying down some grooves.

Nice! Post pics when it shows up

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

nitsuga posted:

hell yes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

davie504 released the Italian voice video and it is every bit as amazing as I hoped.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

davie504 released the Italian voice video and it is every bit as amazing as I hoped.

Yes, worth the wait. He’s also taking quite a liking to his ray34 playing it almost exclusively since he got it in the summer. Stingray supremacy

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I used to think that I found that guy annoying but I keep watching him for some reason and that Italian voice video was very funny. I guess i don't really dislike him after all.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

He's a really good player, but all of his videos that aren't primarily playing can be summed up as follows:

OMG
Slapp like
I'm calling the police
I will play bass on the moon at 20 million subs

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I like his videos, although I don't watch all of them.

I wonder how hard we'd have to try to get him to go bass fishing with a bass? Is bass fishing a thing in Italy?

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Seventh Arrow posted:

He's a really good player, but all of his videos that aren't primarily playing can be summed up as follows:

OMG
Slapp like
I'm calling the police
I will play bass on the moon at 20 million subs

Completely true, but the repetition is part of the charm.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

tarlibone posted:

i feel the same way about my thunderbird. i also really dislike the bridge on it and im wondering if slapping one of those hipshot replacement bridges on it would improve it.

ASenileAnimal fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 1, 2019

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Thunderbird, I think, uses the same neck as my Les Paul bass - which is to say that it's like playing a baseball bat with roundwounds on it. It's a matter of getting used to it, but the neck on a Rick is way better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I learned (and still primarily play) bass by following tabs along with the song I'm listening to and trying to keep up. This has made me very good at sight-reading tabs and I think I'm pretty good in general. But every once in a while I try that move while listening to Jaco and have to give up after about 3.5 seconds. Sometimes I can't believe he was a real person.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally got around to getting a pic of the new Lakland.

It's taking a little time to get used to the wider neck, but I couldn't be happier with the bass. The LH3 electronics definitely have more of a modern edge than the Bartolinis on my 44-02D, and I'm digging it.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

So I learned (and still primarily play) bass by following tabs along with the song I'm listening to and trying to keep up. This has made me very good at sight-reading tabs and I think I'm pretty good in general. But every once in a while I try that move while listening to Jaco and have to give up after about 3.5 seconds. Sometimes I can't believe he was a real person.

He just had a different skill set than you, and came up doing different things as a result. I'm sure you can do things that on bass, that if he were here, now, would amaze him.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Like playing music that is listened to by people who aren't also bassists?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

also it's easier to improvise a thing than to sight read someone else's improvisation, especially when it moves away from the familiar - like if you start doing passing or general chromatic notes, or you end up in another scale, or you just do ~whatever~ for a moment. It's easier to have those ideas or just wing it with what's happening than to parse that out of a tab and make sense of it in the same way

obviously not everything is just ad libbed and there can be some really complex ideas and theory going on, so often playing from a transcription might actually be easier in a way, but it's still hard. Especially if it's so accurate you have all the performance dynamics in there like staccato and ghost notes and whatever - there's gonna be a lot of stuff that just happened on that take, but it's incredibly intimidating to see it transcribed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pokey Araya posted:

He just had a different skill set than you, and came up doing different things as a result. I'm sure you can do things that on bass, that if he were here, now, would amaze him.

I appreciate this but I absolutely cannot lol

Anyway the main thing is that I could *probably* do some of this stuff if I put a lot more time and effort into learning it. Like when I was starting out on bass I could get most of Teen Town and School Days and stuff like that because it was part of the lessons I was getting. But in this case I happened to be listening to the first Jaco solo album so I was like "let's see how this goes" and the speed at which he's doing all of that complicated poo poo is just absurd.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

With so much feel too! Jaco was incredible. When I think I’ve been able to “get” what he’s doing I always pick up on a little something new.