Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

...Biden did it explicitly in advancement of US interests???

And not just US interests either, but the interests of several EU nations and the IMF (who were also going to withhold money unless Ukraine got rid of Shokin, who we must point out, was corrupt as hell). It was not Biden doing this unilaterally to protect his son, as Trump has implied.

This is a bit different from Trump saying "manufacture dirt on my potential 2020 opponent or i'm not giving you any money", although an argument can be made that it's still shady to go to the lengths that several nations did to get rid of a corrupt prosecutor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bird cooch posted:

I keep asking you to point these people out

theflyingorc posted:

Are...you familiar with how rich people work? This is what most board members do, and there are a shitload of companies with board members out there.

Xombie posted:

People who are powerful and rich enough to run for major public office and win are, invariably, going to end up with successful and rich children. Looking "poorly" on them because their children are successful is, once again, not a winning issue. It isn't even rational.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

theflyingorc posted:

I'm not arguing that Biden has done nothing wrong - I don't like the guy, of course he's done lots of lovely things, and I desperately want him to lose the primary. But the prosecutor thing - the part everyone is referring to on TV? Wasn't corruption, doesn't even make sense that it would be.
Does it only count as corruption if it happened before? Seriously asking, because while the timeline isn't in dispute, the idea that since he called for that investigation after the fact, that therefore everything must be above board, seems a little suspect. Like I suppose it precludes the idea of a direct quid pro quo, but the prosecutor's actions the year before still could have influenced that: it could still be petty revenge, it could still serve to send a message, etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's been pretty funny seeing ben "never trump" shapiro keep lying about this.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1177593402268848128

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aspergeoisie posted:

Let me know when you have anything more than a crime invented by way of investigating other supposed crimes that never happened, none of which Trump was ever or will ever be charged with committing.

Politicians don't suddenly become criminals because you don't like the way they talk.

I've definitely noticed that the obvious disinfo agents (and that's what Aspergeosie here is) that wander into this conversation typically have the following profile: <1000 posts and either a very recent regdate or an inactive account from 2009.

IIRC wasn't there some sort of event back in 2009 that caused the forums to adopt the current insane requirements for default passwords? I'm asking because it really looks like there is a pack or two of 2009 era accounts floating around somewhere on the Darknet.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ryde posted:

Obstruction is still obstruction and illegal even if you are not charged with the original crime being investigated.

Yeah, but even the most intellectually basic people in the real world can see that sort of thing as the complete bullshit that it is. Only extreme leftist ideologues out-of-step with most Americans would see charging Trump with obstruction (or really any supposed crime he's committed) as a good thing.

At the end of the day Trump's just enduring the same kind of attacks that George W did. All Democrats have done in the decade since W is escalate their baseless rhetoric from "this president must be impeached!" to actually doing it. The tactic may be good to motivate their fringe idiots, but it's not good for the Republic to try and force impeachment every time a Republican is elected simply as revenge for Clinton's impeachment. Everyone who isn't hyper-partisan realizes that's what's happening and thinks it's dumb as hell.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also just lol if in the middle of probably the biggest presidential (or hell political period, for that matter) scandal of the last century your main concern is 'but what about that last vice president'

If it's really important to you, go make a thread about it. It just looks stupid in here rn

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

Getting a job because your family is rich isn't nepotism?

Correct.

quote:

What is nepotism then, or does nepotism not exist.

Nepotism is hiring your own family members.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dammerung posted:

What would you say the top 5 serious issues with Joe Biden this month are? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I'm just not sure what you're referring to.

He keeps mumbling like a crazy old man and saying weird things to women, for starters.

I mean - he's a terrible, terrible candidate. But he didn't get this prosecutor fired to protect his son, it doesn't make any sense.

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Does it only count as corruption if it happened before? Seriously asking, because while the timeline isn't in dispute, the idea that since he called for that investigation after the fact, that therefore everything must be above board, seems a little suspect. Like I suppose it precludes the idea of a direct quid pro quo, but the prosecutor's actions the year before still could have influenced that: it could still be petty revenge, it could still serve to send a message, etc.
The prosecutor is the one who dropped the case against the company his son was on the board of, is the thing. How can it be revenge against something that Biden should only be happy about?

If Biden got him fired WHILE he was investigating, or if he dropped the investigation and then Biden dropped the pressure on him, that would make sense.

By the way, the potential for those things to happen are why Hunter shouldn't have taken that job - if he hadn't stopped investigating, Joe wouldn't have been able to push against him without having a conflict of interest.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 27, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

How can there have been a cover-up if we failed to keep the report we covered up from leaking to the press

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

https://twitter.com/anibundel/status/1177616313734307840

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Prester Jane posted:

I've definitely noticed that the obvious disinfo agents (and that's what Aspergeosie here is) that wander into this conversation typically have the following profile: <1000 posts and either a very recent regdate or an inactive account from 2009.

IIRC wasn't there some sort of event back in 2009 that caused the forums to adopt the current insane requirements for default passwords? I'm asking because it really looks like there is a pack or two of 2009 era accounts floating around somewhere on the Darknet.
This is some straight up tinfoil hat poo poo.

The KGB is not on Something Awful.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

I, in no way, defended the fact that capitalism works to the unfair benefit of people who are already rich. Just because people disagree with your argument doesn't mean that they stand for everything you don't.

Expecting powerful politicians to have unsuccessful, poor children is not at all an argument you can make in our economic system. It simply doesn't function that way.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Well of course not, the KGB hasn't existed since 1991 :v:

I'm just ribbing, I know what you meant.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VitalSigns posted:

How can there have been a cover-up if we failed to keep the report we covered up from leaking to the press

it's like saying nixon didn't try to cover anything up since he released the tapes.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

lmfao. This is why LF was better.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

This gaslight is turning into a nuclear inferno.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

theflyingorc posted:

He keeps mumbling like a crazy old man and saying weird things to women, for starters.

I mean - he's a terrible, terrible candidate. But he didn't get this prosecutor fired to protect his son, it doesn't make any sense.

Oh, absolutely! Whatever's happening with his son really doesn't even relate to him, let alone the current events regarding the Trump administration.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Huh, a ratioed Trump tweet. Now we know just how stupid they have to be for that to happen.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Thread title.

Holy lol.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xombie posted:

Correct.

So if I say "hey I would take it as a close personal favor if you hired my failson" that isn't nepotism to you.

What is it then, merit?

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Donald J Trump, a president who extorted a foreign power to dig up dirt on a political rival based on a conspiracy theory, is now peddling that conspiracy theory without any proof in an ad that looks like it’s right out of a local city council race.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Angry_Ed posted:

Well of course not, the KGB hasn't existed since 1991 :v:

I'm just ribbing, I know what you meant.
simpsons_ussr_button.gif

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

How is this still up?

As in, "why hasn't Trump delete the embarassing tweet yet?"? Putting aside the fact that it's probably illegal for him to delete tweets (not that that would stop him), Trump's only reaction to mockery is to double down. Him deleting the tweet would probably be one of the more shocking and/or surprising thing he's done in a while, even considering the insanity of the last week.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 27, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Rent-A-Cop posted:

considering the kgb doesn't exist period ima go ahead and rate this as 2.5 pinnochios

Aramis posted:

As in, "why hasn't Trump delete the embarassing tweet yet?"? Putting aside the fact that it's probably illegal for him to delete tweets (not that that would stop him), Trump's only reaction to mockery is to double down. Him deleting the tweet would probably be even more shocking and/or surprising thing he's done in a while even considering the insanity of the last week.

I'm almost positive that trump has never actually admitted fault about anything ever. I can't think of a single video where he acknowledged doing something wrong. Seeing himself as doing anything other than perfectly just isn't how he engages with the world.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Aspergeoisie posted:

Yeah, but even the most intellectually basic people in the real world can see that sort of thing as the complete bullshit that it is. Only extreme leftist ideologues out-of-step with most Americans would see charging Trump with obstruction (or really any supposed crime he's committed) as a good thing.

At the end of the day Trump's just enduring the same kind of attacks that George W did. All Democrats have done in the decade since W is escalate their baseless rhetoric from "this president must be impeached!" to actually doing it. The tactic may be good to motivate their fringe idiots, but it's not good for the Republic to try and force impeachment every time a Republican is elected simply as revenge for Clinton's impeachment. Everyone who isn't hyper-partisan realizes that's what's happening and thinks it's dumb as hell.

See now you're trying to pack as many buzzwords/outer narratives into your post as possible, but you're doing it extremely inartfully. You're not a True Believer, you're trying to imitate a true believer based on some sort of text book format you've been taught to emulate.

Someone must just be pouring money into disinfo narratives if our particular (obscure) corner of the internet justifies this level of human attention.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Xombie posted:

Correct.

Usually goes Nepotism -> Cronyism -> Favoritism for how far out one goes.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mistaya posted:

Please tell me the President of the United States knows the difference between a hyphen and an apostrophe...

He doesn't. He's real dumb.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Good thing I never said it was the KGB then. I have no idea whose funding such things, because at this point basically every state and corporate actor has some sort of apparatus setup to drive disinfo campaigns on the internet. The vast majority of its done through bots on social media, but that's hardly where it all ends.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

VitalSigns posted:

So if I say "hey I would take it as a close personal favor if you hired my failson" that isn't nepotism to you.

What is it then, merit?

There is absolutely no evidence or even allegation that's what happened. Again: Hunter Biden was already rich and successful when they hired him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CascadeBeta posted:

The amount of people willing to do Trump's job for him by carrying water on the Biden conspiracy theory is kind of pathetic. It's been debunked and has no basis in reality. The investigation into Biden's son was shuttered a year before the prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, was fired. Biden says pressed for Shokin's firing because of his corruption and refusal to prosecute the old regime's crimes. The fact of the matter is that, if this grand conspiracy theory is true that Biden got Ukraine to boot Shokin to protect his son, then the next prosecutor, who has actually tackled corruption within the government, would be MORE likely to prosecute Burisma and compromise Hunter's position, not less.

The Intercept wrote a good piece covering it back in May:
https://theintercept.com/2019/05/10/rumors-joe-biden-scandal-ukraine-absolute-nonsense-reformer-says/

I don't like Biden, but this has less substance to it than the emails or Uranium One, and that's saying something.

yeah. plus biden is sinking himself anyway with his own actions. he is sinking in the polls and the primary and his inability to change isn't saving him. i am not worried about him yet.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Shapiro doesnt give a gently caress. he is a alt light grifter for old boom booms and they like trump so he has to defend his money source.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I really hope there's a little town in some flyover state actually called Fucknutsville and they suddenly get a lot more media attention.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Like the guy doesn't even know how capitalization works, is it a big surprise that he doesn't know how punctuation works

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Prester, he could just be a really lovely troll. This subforum has a tendency to be easily enflamed, and other areas of the forum know this.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Groovelord Neato posted:

"How can there be any evidence when I refuse to acknowledge its existence?"

Hear No Evil, See No Evil, Commit All The Evil.

Prester Jane posted:

"Doing it for the lulz" is a perfectly valid occam's razor explanation for this. (And the basis for a lot of the alt-right)

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Quit engaging with the trolls.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Drunk Theory posted:

Prestor, he could just be a really lovely troll. This subforum has a tendency to be easily enflamed, and other areas of the forum know this.

He's always been an open Nazi.

Aspergeoisie posted:

I, and everyone I know and am related to, is willing to sell everyone else down the river because white people are being both systemically and socially assaulted.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

mod sassinator posted:

I really hope there's a little town in some flyover state actually called Fucknutsville and they suddenly get a lot more media attention.

Is it right next to Mianus? :v:

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

sean10mm posted:

He's always been an open Nazi.

Oh. Or that too I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Drunk Theory posted:

Prestor, he could just be a really lovely troll. This subforum has a tendency to be easily enflamed, and other areas of the forum know this.

Check their profile. They have less than 400 posts total over the life of their decade-old account but suddenly decided to start effortposting in this thread.