Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Oh man, what does it mean if Xorn has a black hole for a head? I just check PoX #3 and the Omega Sentinel teases about what’s really at the heart of a singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Haven't really had an opportunity to really think this through, but it just occured to me that what Xavier is doing flies in the face of Reed's thesis statement at the beginning of New Avengers(and maybe FF, it's been awhile) "Everything dies."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Billzasilver posted:

Oh man, what does it mean if Xorn has a black hole for a head? I just check PoX #3 and the Omega Sentinel teases about what’s really at the heart of a singularity.

Because I give Hickman (too?) much credit for being overly planning with his plots, there's no way all that stuff isn't connected. Which means that Xorn is directly connected to the Dominion poo poo right? The info-blurb specifically mentions the black hole connections as being through space and time, which means those who got caught in Xorn's head a few issues back are gonna be time travelling...

This issue is the first reference to the No Space being related to Moira, right? Again, we haven't seen her in either the main HoX story or the X^1 time period from PoX. She's also not in the Council, which I think we all expected. The "they think we're doing one thing when we're really doing something else" line still makes me wonder what the big plan is here.

Jean's behavior DEFINITELY is connected to Xavier's ability to reset minds to a previous save point. Maybe this is a Jean that doesn't remember being Phoenix? Maybe Xavier and Moira know how big of a threat she is to all of this. Maybe Moira knows if the Phoenix is involved with Jean, Ascension can't happen since the most advanced universal intelligences are scared shitless of it? This would assume Moira's end goal is Ascension which maybe puts X^3 in a previous life... like VI?

Also, Xavier doing that to himself twice is an interesting twist. I'm sure both those situations will be explored. Maybe post-Deadly Genesis and post-Danger? Maybe he's resetting his mind after he makes really awful decisions? Or Moira convinced him to do it after she revealed certain aspects of her plan to him?

Unrelated to HoXPoX, dad-stuff prevented me from reading New Mutants: War Children last night but I flipped through it and while I'll never forget how good Sienkiewicz is, seeing new work of his brings me pure loving joy, especially with those characters. If anyone has a copy of the that IDW Marvel Select edition of his NM run and is willing to sell, hit me up. I can't believe I loving slept on that...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Dreqqus posted:

Haven't really had an opportunity to really think this through, but it just occured to me that what Xavier is doing flies in the face of Reed's thesis statement at the beginning of New Avengers(and maybe FF, it's been awhile) "Everything dies."

Kind of? Obviously Reed's comment was in a universal sense... and he was right. Everything (except like 20 people) did die.

But this does bring up a question about mutant over-population. If The Five are able to resurrect the 16M dead from Genosha, and also NO MUTANTS EVER DIE, Krakoa's gonna run out of space real fast unless they go all Age of X-Man and stop loving.

I'm reading AoX now via Marvel Unlimited and I'm really digging it? I don't understand a lot of the negative stuff about it.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

dumb question that may out me as someone not paying attention, but shouldn’t Mystique have been resurrected as well?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

danbanana posted:

The "they think we're doing one thing when we're really doing something else" line still makes me wonder what the big plan is here.

it made me think of The Wire's most evil antagonist

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Goa Tse-tung posted:

it made me think of The Wire's most evil antagonist

The American political system? :v:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Crusader posted:

dumb question that may out me as someone not paying attention, but shouldn’t Mystique have been resurrected as well?

I'm sure she was, but maybe without all the culty poo poo.

I think it was someone here who mentioned her "getting lost" on the Mothermold mission was suspicious and I completely agree. She obviously had a secret mission on the side and the big question might be who was it for? Magneto? Xavier? Moira? Sinister? Apocalypse? Herself? The humans?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dreqqus posted:

Hickman ended his Avengers/SW run by having reed realize this was wrong. His last line is literally “Everything lives”

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Oh I know, it's one of my favorite run of comics maybe my actual favorite from the big two. I just thought it was interesting that they're starting from very different places, Reed accepting death as inevitable and Charles at least seemingly successfully rejecting death, and what that might mean moving forward.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
The whole issue was about computer storage space. Is there some plan for resurrecting all the mutants after the phalanx eats the humans and machines?

Also, that New Mutants issue took me right back to being 11 again.

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 26, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Beerdeer posted:

Is there some plan for resurrecting all the mutants after the phalanx eats the humans and machines?

The whole point of the Ascension is to allow mutants to live forever in the Phalanx hive-mind. They're basically volunteering to live in the Matrix because it essentially means eternal life. I guess when bodies are disposable for ~1000 years, you understand that the mind/data/soul/whatever is your true being so who loving cares about the physical world your body lives on?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Straight into my veins.

Edit:Mauraders and council spoilers.

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/status/1176891968103710721?s=19

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 26, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Dauterman + Wilson = the best art duo working at the Big 2 today.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

danbanana posted:

I'm reading AoX now via Marvel Unlimited and I'm really digging it? I don't understand a lot of the negative stuff about it.

Could you perhaps be conflating "the negative stuff" with the sentiment toward the Uncanny X-Men series which was running at the same time and was and is a seriously strong candidate for Worst X-Men Run Ever? I seem to recall most people here, myself included, really liked AoX.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
AoX was good and I really hope they keep the Blob's characterization.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Diet Poison posted:

Could you perhaps be conflating "the negative stuff" with the sentiment toward the Uncanny X-Men series which was running at the same time and was and is a seriously strong candidate for Worst X-Men Run Ever? I seem to recall most people here, myself included, really liked AoX.

I read some negative things regarding it. Maybe that wasn't as prevalent as I thought.

And I didn't hate the Uncanny stuff leading up to it (it was overly convoluted) but that first issue with Scott and Logan was one of the biggest slogs I've ever experienced in comics. My tablet couldn't keep up with swiping in the hopes something interesting happened.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

I read some negative things regarding it. Maybe that wasn't as prevalent as I thought.

And I didn't hate the Uncanny stuff leading up to it (it was overly convoluted) but that first issue with Scott and Logan was one of the biggest slogs I've ever experienced in comics. My tablet couldn't keep up with swiping in the hopes something interesting happened.

Interesting things eventually happened, in the sense of the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times."

I wonder if Rosenberg knew about the resurrection stuff in advance and that's why he double downed on the cruel and pointless deaths?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Skwirl posted:

I wonder if Rosenberg knew about the resurrection stuff in advance and that's why he double downed on the cruel and pointless deaths?

He did. Unfortunately, it doesn't make up for the lame execution of those deaths.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This week's issue and all the mumbo jumbo about black holes and dominions and what else was pretty meh.

I guess the exchanges between Magneto and Emma, plus Forge and Xavier were alright, but with just two issues to go, I can't imagine any conclusion that is going to be meaningful.

I know it kickstarts a bunch of new series after, but I don't think it will transition well at this current pacing. Every new issue seems to just spend time explaining the one immediately before it. Meanwhile, all the scenes in the future still have no proper connection with the present.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

hope and vaseline posted:

I think this happens on future Ear was qqth. Nibiru/Nimbus was created for the purpose of a conversion to a world-mind; when the Phalanx show up, they literally say, "We ate your woldmind. They fought for sovereignty and lost, but we saw the whispering gods behind it," and they came to the source.

Ah, that makes sense. Nibiru/Nimbus was to get their attention and what we saw in x3 is the Phalanx acceptance. Going back through the issues, it's surprising how x3 seems to be just one scene that isn't very long whereas x2 could have been days/months and x1 spans months, x0 spanning a year...at this point I feel like either everything we've seen so far is life 6 of Moira to see how she could look into the future, she dies, goes on a few breather lives and then goes all out in life X and Dawn of X is her on her 10th life when she reveals she's not dead and shares what she's learned... OR.... that would be a complete waste of the whole series and life 6 is some other twist

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

New Mutants was really good. You can see why so many of Marvel’s modern writers are in love with it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I was reading the issue and I got to thinking... what do you even do on Krakoa? Like I get that they've got a lot of work to do establishing themselves and getting more mutants to exist, but like Magneto said once they get several million mutants living there (I assume the island just expands on its own to accommodate a larger population) do they get the same TV channels as the rest of the world? Do popular non-mutant bands and comedy acts tour there if Krakoa lets non-mutants have a work visa or something? I guess they can travel with their flower warps but I'd want to live near a grocery store and nice bike trails. What's the pitch other than "all-mutant neighbors"? Even as a mutant I'd rather live next to some 90 year old lady who hated mutants but kept quiet than living in between Sabretooth and Apocalypse.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Even more pressing, what exactly can they do if someone invades? The gateways themselves we saw can be blocked but it's still an island accessible by ships, planes, and Sentinels. I guess that's what X-Force (and maybe Marauders) will explore?

EDIT: I guess it would be funny to have an entire spinoff just about the mundane details about setting up your own nation. "In this week's exciting issue, Xavier has a lot of meetings about getting an undersea Internet cable hooked up to Krakoa! What top-level domain name will he pick? Stay tuned, true believers!"

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
xmen.kok

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

AceOfFlames posted:

Even more pressing, what exactly can they do if someone invades? The gateways themselves we saw can be blocked but it's still an island accessible by ships, planes, and Sentinels. I guess that's what X-Force (and maybe Marauders) will explore?

EDIT: I guess it would be funny to have an entire spinoff just about the mundane details about setting up your own nation. "In this week's exciting issue, Xavier has a lot of meetings about getting an undersea Internet cable hooked up to Krakoa! What top-level domain name will he pick? Stay tuned, true believers!"

Well so far they have said that no intelligence agency has been able to locate Krakoa.
And looking at the art in issue 3, it looks like that is because Krakoa is on the Moon.
So it's probably safe from invasion. Might make it a bit poo poo for internet hookups.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Well so far they have said that no intelligence agency has been able to locate Krakoa.
And looking at the art in issue 3, it looks like that is because Krakoa is on the Moon.
So it's probably safe from invasion.

Krakoa is not on the moon, that's just one of its habitats. A map in HoX #1 I believe puts it in the Pacific, to the Northeast of Australia.

Also, you KNOW they are using the New York gateway to steal Tony Stark's WiFi until they get that cable set up.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 27, 2019

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

davebo posted:

Do popular non-mutant bands and comedy acts tour there if Krakoa lets non-mutants have a work visa or something? I guess they can travel with their flower warps but I'd want to live near a grocery store and nice bike trails. What's the pitch other than "all-mutant neighbors"? Even as a mutant I'd rather live next to some 90 year old lady who hated mutants but kept quiet than living in between Sabretooth and Apocalypse.

AceOfFlames posted:

I've always wanted Marvel to come up with some dumb-assed webcomic centering around the day to day lives of their characters, especially the X-Men (every time someone else does it it's great, like that one where Rogue (I think) pretends to be a cat). And now I really want to see some shorts of stand-ups performing on Krakoa and trying to do jokes relevant to the mutants there.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Diet Poison posted:

And now I really want to see some shorts of stand-ups performing on Krakoa and trying to do jokes relevant to the mutants there.

What's the DEAL with the Krakoan language? It's like, the exact same words as English, the exact same letters, you just changed how they're written to a bunch of lines and dots. And did you ever try to write it in cursive?! *stretches hand out and has convulsion on stage*

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I assume Krakoa is like the Olympic village. There are tons of fit and attractive people around so between practicing with powers there is a lot of sex

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Codependent Poster posted:

I assume Krakoa is like the Olympic village. There are tons of fit and attractive people around so between practicing with powers there is a lot of sex

I know they're trying to get all the same rights as other nations but if there's anywhere they should still discriminate against mutants it's the Olympics.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

davebo posted:

I know they're trying to get all the same rights as other nations but if there's anywhere they should still discriminate against mutants it's the Olympics.

Why? They let a cyborg dude with spring legs compete in the 2012 Olympics.

And just like most cyborgs, he went bad and murdered his girlfriend! Sounds like Krakoans would fit right in!

(Side note: "Pistorius has been the subject of criticism because of claims that his artificial limbs give him an advantage over runners with natural ankles and feet." is my new favorite sentence on Wikipedia.)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
At least you could watch him run. Would their slow-motion finish line cameras even capture Quicksilver?

In terms of non-mutants, why doesn't Hawkeye represent the states in archery? I bet Cap would do well in discus.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

davebo posted:

I bet Cap would do well in discus.

The thing the IOC doesn't tolerate (LOLOL) is doping and let me tell you about Steve Rogers...

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

danbanana posted:

Why? They let a cyborg dude with spring legs compete in the 2012 Olympics.

And just like most cyborgs, he went bad and murdered his girlfriend! Sounds like Krakoans would fit right in!

(Side note: "Pistorius has been the subject of criticism because of claims that his artificial limbs give him an advantage over runners with natural ankles and feet." is my new favorite sentence on Wikipedia.)

That reminds me of when I was finishing law school in 2013. Our South Africian classmate had a great limerick for Valentine's Day 2013.

Rose Are Red
Violates Are Glorious.
No One Breaks Up
With Oscar Pistorius.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Diet Poison posted:

I've always wanted Marvel to come up with some dumb-assed webcomic centering around the day to day lives of their characters, especially the X-Men (every time someone else does it it's great, like that one where Rogue (I think) pretends to be a cat). And now I really want to see some shorts of stand-ups performing on Krakoa and trying to do jokes relevant to the mutants there.

"It's been 6 months since Louis C.K. has gone missing in Krakoa after a show held there. Krakoan officials still refuse to say what happened to him other than "he's been dealt with" and U.S. authorities are reluctant to press the matter further."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
"I don't understand why I can't say 'mutie' when the Krakoans use that term all the time!" - 616 Tim Allen

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Eh, they could change rules so that mutants are allowed but not in events related to their powers. Angel could be an archer, but not like a pole vaulter. Or you could even require them to wear inhibitor collars.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess it sucks to be Tattoo. Fought with the X-Men a number of times, until it turns out he wasn't a mutant, it was his tattoo artist who put the symbols on him that was imbuing the powers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

IUG posted:

I guess it sucks to be Tattoo. Fought with the X-Men a number of times, until it turns out he wasn't a mutant, it was his tattoo artist who put the symbols on him that was imbuing the powers instead.

You're thinking of Ink. Who sucks. And I'm glad he's not on Krakoa. Because he sucks.