Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

In a modern house like ours (built 2013) with a modern "pönttöuuni" with secondary combustion of the flue gasses, in addition to the traditional deign of smoke channels to extract heat, we're around 70-80% efficiency.

Even "antique" masonry heaters are pretty efficient; they figured out pulling air* back down from the chimney ages ago (no idea how it works).

*) Well, "air".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Eat the basketball.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Dave posted:

Eat the basketball.

Sweetums? I thought they only made candy and sugary soft drinks.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Back in mid-July when we were posting rooms we liked, someone posted an Arts and Crafts/20s room with wood paneling and above that, handpainted landscape wallpaper. I looked back but couldn't find it. There's some broken images. Does anyone have that?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Back in mid-July when we were posting rooms we liked, someone posted an Arts and Crafts/20s room with wood paneling and above that, handpainted landscape wallpaper. I looked back but couldn't find it. There's some broken images. Does anyone have that?

'twas I
I found it at the Househunting blog. Looks like the house got pulled off the market so the original listing was deleted but the photos are still in that blog post. This house is in the Shingle style which was kind of the bridge from Queen Anne Victorian to Craftsman styling. It's really hard to find a Shingle style house that hasn't been remodeled into modern farmhouse/beachhouse oblivion but I guess this one being in Sioux Falls, SD saved it from the fate of its fellows on the East Coast.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 24, 2019

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Thank you! God, that's gorgeous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

maybe a chimney at one end of the house is marginally less likely to set your roof on fire than one in the middle of the house? Since roof fires were incredibly common due to not using slate or tile roofs in most of america for most of its history I kinda wonder if you don't just orient your house so the wall with the chimney is downwind of the prevailing wind, and that carries all the sparks away from the roof. (to burn down your neighbors roof, but gently caress that guy lol)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of wallpaper: I've been thinking of getting some for a wall in my new place but I realized I have no idea how to shop for it. Are there brands to avoid? Good brands? Things to look for other than "do I like the pattern"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Leperflesh posted:

maybe a chimney at one end of the house is marginally less likely to set your roof on fire than one in the middle of the house? Since roof fires were incredibly common due to not using slate or tile roofs in most of america for most of its history I kinda wonder if you don't just orient your house so the wall with the chimney is downwind of the prevailing wind, and that carries all the sparks away from the roof. (to burn down your neighbors roof, but gently caress that guy lol)
I imagine they did that when they could, but they really needed that cross-breeze.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

Were you stoned when you wrote this?

Rech
Dec 26, 2011

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
OSB backsplash, stainless appliances, except for the circa 1990s dishwasher. It has it all.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Trailer chic

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MetaJew posted:

OSB backsplash, stainless appliances, except for the circa 1990s dishwasher. It has it all.

I just spent a good five minutes googling and I'm pretty sure that's an aughts dishwasher. :actually:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

MetaJew posted:

Am I wrong in thinking Scandinavia is the last place on Earth where people still like their white goods actually white?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We do have stainless in our house, but white would have been fine. It does have advantages and does look nice.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As cute as having the World's Most Inconvenient Library would be, I could see myself hurling that loving ladder through a window after 15 minutes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And it wouldn't even matter because ain't nobody climbing up there to actually get any of those books.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

this is dope though. I mean, it's impractical, but I really admire the craftsmanship and aesthetic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brute Squad posted:

this is dope though. I mean, it's impractical, but I really admire the craftsmanship and aesthetic.

That's how I feel about both, to be honest.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mutata posted:

And it wouldn't even matter because ain't nobody climbing up there to actually get any of those books.

Exactly! This would be perfect for my wife, who refuses to part ways with virtually any book she buys, yet rarely revisits them. With this, you have book storage that's visually striking but out of the way.

But yeah, I too would toss the ladder real quick and maybe replace it with a collapsible fire-escape style one.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
i found a thing on airbnb

"Kick back in the comfy Eames recliner at this two-level loft in an antique brownstone building, then cozy up in bed under the brick vaulted ceiling."

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Anyone know on what page the bathroom originally got posted? I want to show the first post to a friend.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The ol' four-legged Eames chair trick.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The ol' four-legged Eames chair trick.

I noticed the leather before the legs. How could anyone relax in such a blatant knockoff :colbert:

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

The gently caress is going on with that laptop? I imagined sitting in the chair and scooting back, slamming into the ladder and knocking it over, then tossing the ladder outside and enjoying my giant half-circle desk. But then I really noticed the laptop and recoiled.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The ladder probably doesn't live there 24/7. But if they didn't have it in the shot, a dozen dipshits would be going "it's so impractical, what do you do, fly?? Whose home is it, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's???"

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It looks like one of those collapsible ladders.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Prokosch posted:

The gently caress is going on with that laptop? I imagined sitting in the chair and scooting back, slamming into the ladder and knocking it over, then tossing the ladder outside and enjoying my giant half-circle desk. But then I really noticed the laptop and recoiled.

my mom had a laptop like that one in ~1993.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think that might be a ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook. I have one kicking around somewhere. Clunky, but for the time, the only laptop that you could take into field conditions and have it survive.

The room is Wade Davis's writing studio, designed by Travis Price Architects. Travis Price does some awesome work.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

TofuDiva posted:

I think that might be a ruggedized Panasonic Toughbook. I have one kicking around somewhere. Clunky, but for the time, the only laptop that you could take into field conditions and have it survive.

The room is Wade Davis's writing studio, designed by Travis Price Architects. Travis Price does some awesome work.

No, it’s almost certainly an early PowerBook.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I like everything about this comfy alcove except. That. You know what that is. It looks like a table, but it just isn't. What the christ is that. Like tumorous inverted intestinal linings, but made into a table and also it's made of minerals. Imagine hitting your bare leg against that. You'd shear the skin off. It would deglove you, in a way.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

value-brand cereal posted:

I like everything about this comfy alcove except. That. You know what that is. It looks like a table, but it just isn't. What the christ is that. Like tumorous inverted intestinal linings, but made into a table and also it's made of minerals. Imagine hitting your bare leg against that. You'd shear the skin off. It would deglove you, in a way.

That table just reminded me to schedule a colonoscopy.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Seriously, what is that material? Some kind of stone with protrusions? I look at it and I feel like I'm Small Pastry Man, just staring and not comprehending

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Antivehicular posted:

Seriously, what is that material? Some kind of stone with protrusions? I look at it and I feel like I'm Small Pastry Man, just staring and not comprehending

Could it be rows and rows of that gigantic ball fringe that people used to put on curtains and such?

This stuff:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

The weird wedge of mismatched flooring is making me twitch.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I got that off a tumblr post that only linked to an entire instagram profile and not the IG post itself so I don't know anymore more than 'what the gently caress is that pink thing'. As some penance, here's a nice looking house. Galvani House / Christian Pottgiesser - architecturespossibles.

Downsides:
suffers from SSS [stupid stair syndrome]
terrible voyeur windows
has dirt you cannot vacuum??
really not friendly to anyone with mobility issues

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Anyone know on what page the bathroom originally got posted? I want to show the first post to a friend.

168 Search bEatmstrJ in the DIY thread and the whole saga pops up.

Do you like that ugly rear end lamp, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

there wolf posted:

168 Search bEatmstrJ in the DIY thread and the whole saga pops up.

Do you like that ugly rear end lamp, too?

...i assumed that lamp was set with metal shaped like leafy vines but on second look I think it's knotted cord? What??