Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training

Sarsapariller posted:

Hot off the test servers: 8 minutes of thrilling cave action

My favorite bit is the part at 2:15 where he tries to drop a glowstick and it goes skittering off to the left instead of falling down.

This whole feature screams

"poo poo poo poo poo poo, we had to push EVERY gameplay loop we promised for this year into next year......again.......gently caress, get the map guys in here really quick and have them jam out some loving "caaaaaaves" so the backers will be beating their dicks at CitCon!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

Meanwhile over in CIG land, it turns out the spaceship popularity contest is probably rigged. Shocker, I know.

But if you visit the page and inspect the tournament brackets, you can see that the Cutlass, "Ship 01," is slated to go all the way to the final round, where it will apparently face "Ship 09" whose identity I don't think we know yet. The Gladius is already slated to be the winner of today's showdown.

Not that this matters in the slightest but LOL that they are cheating their own popularity contest.

From webdev's PoV, I think they just prefilled the stuff with odd numbers according to advancing the bracket. Gladius is losing anyway - we'll see~

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

My favorite bit is the part at 2:15 where he tries to drop a glowstick and it goes skittering off to the left instead of falling down.

This is the first time I'm seeing the inventory system and holy poo poo.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy.
I'm sure I can get that Idris just by playing the game normaleeeeee

Too late, your pledge is done
selling dreams is not a crime
the game's breaking all the time
stay hyped everybody, for squadron 4
80% of mankind will play this through
Crobbler, ohhhhh
I don't wanna lie
I sometimes wish I never had pledged at all

carry on, carry on, and don't get killed by a ladder

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Magnifico!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

A few things anger me from this, more than usual

1) Ben is probably still collecting an ungodly salary, and this is his entire job. Also it angers me that he keeps referring to the company like he actually is a part of it anymore, and not just an outcast

2) The entire article? is this a newsletter? It just talks about things that have already been talked about, or fawning over stupid poo poo like the lore.

3) Ben

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sarsapariller posted:

Exciting stuff.
You could fit more than one Skyrims in that final map glitch chasm.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

tooterfish posted:

Remember when CIG's launcher tried to open so many sockets it caused enterprise grade routers around the world to glow white hot and then explode?

Trivial. LOL.

At least they tried.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Open. Development.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Pre-pre Alpha 3.7d https://pastebin.com/6WPFKZQS

Known Issues

Please avoid doing derelict related missions for now.
Occasionally players may fail to connect to VOIP fully. W/A: Restart client.
:v: Some caves may have underwater effects.
:v: There's a large rectangular area missing from the surface of Daymar around one of the caves.
Multiple scope crosshairs are off center when viewed in ADS.
Corpses at derelicts are hidden under objects or hull.
The probes in the destroy probe mission will sometimes teleport ot map origin, preventing completion.
The delivery lockers at Tease Spaceport and L13 Metro do not distribute mission packages.
Players may crash when loading into the industrial hangar.
Players may crash when changing hair back to original when using the character customizer.
Ships may display as rented if the player exits to title while a claim is in progress.
If the player unequips the undersuit in Star Marine the body will have various graphical issues.
The QT navigation marker is still present for HUR-L2.
The reformation distortion scattergun currently has a blue light texture issue.
The default hair may be present under other hairstyles.
If you leave and reenter the commodity kiosk the "sell" tab icons will remain even though you are on the "buy" tab.

:lol:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

Holy poo poo, the laser pointer on the gun...the visible beam is supposed to be scattering from particles in the air. But the particulates move with the gun when the aim point changes. :stare: It's the most fake looking laser implementation I've ever seen in a game. I'm pretty sure the original Crysis got it right too.

Bubbacub fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 28, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So cool we have underwater caves.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

So cool we have underwater caves.

In an underwater 'verse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So the caves are on an entire separate map, I assume? I mean, it'd be dumb not to, but I can see Citizens being mad about that.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So the caves are on an entire separate map, I assume? I mean, it'd be dumb not to, but I can see Citizens being mad about that.
:laffo:

no

the crobbear expressly forbids 'cheating' like that

Quavers posted:

:v: There's a large rectangular area missing from the surface of Daymar around one of the caves.
:lol:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hey, Ben's not dead.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
star citizen is good

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

I’m a fan of Mirf’s unearthed treasures from the Star Citizen community, but I’d be pretty OK with not seeing anything from this thread again.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Can someone re-post the wild shakey head female heads gif/vid?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The gunsmith backstory in that magazine is bad and doesn't make sense.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bootcha posted:

Can someone re-post the wild shakey head female heads gif/vid?

https://i.imgur.com/6DSUBlG.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

8 whole minutes of doing almost nothing.

They could at least have included a pickaxe so you can break rocks and craft yourself a sword and some armour.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
:siren:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bitch

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Agony Aunt posted:

8 whole minutes of doing almost nothing.

They could at least have included a pickaxe so you can break rocks and craft yourself a sword and some armour.

Come on, there could be anything in that cave. Anything! And it would all be totally original and groundbreaking, thanks to Chris Roberts' creativity. Exploring is suspenseful - what might you find? An ancient alien mechanism for terraforming the planet, or perhaps showing a map of the galaxy. Strange leathery eggs, with something moving inside. A subterranean city, with residents generations removed from those who once fled the surface after some catastrophe. A bedroll, a box of matches and an expedition parka.

Anything could happen. Just use your IMAGINATION.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SabinBlitz posted:

Did they receive payment in dreams of being a real space commando someday?

Papa Jpeggo

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr Fronts posted:

Come on, there could be anything in that cave. Anything! And it would all be totally original and groundbreaking, thanks to Chris Roberts' creativity. Exploring is suspenseful - what might you find? An ancient alien mechanism for terraforming the planet, or perhaps showing a map of the galaxy. Strange leathery eggs, with something moving inside. A subterranean city, with residents generations removed from those who once fled the surface after some catastrophe. A bedroll, a box of matches and an expedition parka.

Anything could happen. Just use your IMAGINATION.

Ok! Ok! I'm sensing.... lust!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When are they going to announce flyable asteroids with random generated caves?

Only $1800 for a TRULY ONE OF A KIND ship? SOLD!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The main tech they have developed for their game is the ability to have maps inside maps on cryengine. A ship flying in port Olisar is a map (which is why you can walk inside in "artifical gravity" while the ship moves around the port, which is also a (collection of) map that is located inside a big empty space map which is located inside the main menu map (yes, that's how it works).

Credit where credit is due, it kinda works outside of you getting randomly killed when you move from one map to another via doors, ramps, or whatever.

So basically a cave has to be a big rectangular box-shaped map (as that silly "disregard the big rectangular patch of weird land outside the cave" patch note mentions) that is added to the planet map. They are not separate.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
You can really tell a lot about the maintainability of their code from the bug tracker and known issues in patch notes

It's all 1 giant hell merge for every feature they did for every GC, citcon, and holiday livestream they ever did

They call features "complete" calling the scattered fixes the "polish" after (or they just remain broken)

The only sane way to do this is to have teams continuously integrating with the master branch, dividing the work into the smallest atomic chunks possible (a "vertical slice" through the roadmap) and hiring experienced managers and technical leads to make sure everyone is working on the right thing, conflicts are identified quickly or before they happen, and that communication between teams flows freely

That gif of features constantly being pushed back horizontally on the roadmap, for months at a time, is just perfect. So utterly hosed

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

:stare:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tak posted:

You can really tell a lot about the maintainability of their code from the bug tracker and known issues in patch notes

It's all 1 giant hell merge for every feature they did for every GC, citcon, and holiday livestream they ever did

They call features "complete" calling the scattered fixes the "polish" after (or they just remain broken)

The only sane way to do this is to have teams continuously integrating with the master branch, dividing the work into the smallest atomic chunks possible (a "vertical slice" through the roadmap) and hiring experienced managers and technical leads to make sure everyone is working on the right thing, conflicts are identified quickly or before they happen, and that communication between teams flows freely

That gif of features constantly being pushed back horizontally on the roadmap, for months at a time, is just perfect. So utterly hosed

What gif?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

trucutru posted:

The main tech they have developed for their game is the ability to have maps inside maps on cryengine. A ship flying in port Olisar is a map (which is why you can walk inside in "artifical gravity" while the ship moves around the port, which is also a (collection of) map that is located inside a big empty space map which is located inside the main menu map (yes, that's how it works).

Credit where credit is due, it kinda works outside of you getting randomly killed when you move from one map to another via doors, ramps, or whatever.

So basically a cave has to be a big rectangular box-shaped map (as that silly "disregard the big rectangular patch of weird land outside the cave" patch note mentions) that is added to the planet map. They are not separate.

:stare: HOLY poo poo I never knew this. This changes my viewpoint of this game 180 degrees. Because developing working maps for Cryengine is loving hard. These guys are actually the most skilled producers on the market then.

This also explains so many bugs, like rockets firing in random directions, that's probably because the rocket spawns in a different map than the ship. This is mind-boggling to realize. Actual mad props to the team for optimizing this earlier this year, since having that many maps loaded at once is just... wow.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

https://i.imgur.com/sp2KqjY.webm

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zT4Y-QNdto

Time keeps on slippin slippin slippin into the future

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Pursuing the dream.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

At each iteration, so close but so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So is the water thing cropping up in new locations because they're placed inside the sea of the system map, or because the location's internal sea hasn't been bug smooshed yet? I guess what I'm asking is: Can you have a sea inside a sea?