Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

this seems llike it's going to be racist or antisemitic

So, par for the course with bronies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

this seems llike it's going to be racist or antisemitic

quote:

Pride

The greatest and most dangerous ingredient of disaster for a great nation.

This was the Roan Empires history.

A history of great strength and chivalry, one of pride and foolishness.

These ponies had not the wings of feather or leather.

They did not have the horn to harness magic.

Nor the wisdom and knowledge to know thyself better.

They were full of national pride, a dangerous pride that they wore as a badge of honor, and as a shield.

Yet shields wear away and shatter when not cared for, and a nationalistic pride, is certainly more harm then good.

The wheel of time would turn slowly for the Roans, allowing them to relish in their glory, but like all things, one good turn, deserves another, and a painful turn it was.

The Roans had finally overstepped their boundaries, their pride leading them to believe they had a right to more of the fertile land around them, including that of the Canidians, a generally peaceful land of mutts who enjoy cartography and exploration.

The brunt of the Roan cavalry quickly charged across a well know land bridge called the Wolfs Fang due to its shape, a glorious charge it was, their colors sailing high in the sky, a serenade of cannon fire pushing them on wards towards the Canidian front.

The Roan elite, so focused on their superior speed, would find themselves overwhelmed by a new addition to the Canidian armament. The simple creation of firearms, rifles, ballistics that can easily outdistance any Roan, no matter how fast they were.

The battle of Wolfs Fang was devastating, the Roan charge utterly decimated by the ordered firearms of the Canidians.

Roan, left without its fighting elite, would quickly find their territories threatened on all fronts by a joint force of Canidians and Gryphons. If not for their pride, Roan would have found help in the form of their old allies, but pride is a painful trait that turns even the best friends into enemies.

The future of Roan would be a grim one, filled with sorrow, as they worked away, indentured to the many countries they once looked down upon, and yet they would learn a great lesson in humility, and the curse that is pride.

The Roan Empire were given granted the worst Treaty in their time, with a debt so large that it not only broke their economy, but it brought most of the entire pony kingdom into indentured servitude or worse, slavery.

As they were only road ponies, so called because of the vast network of roads they helped establish, they were put into menial labor such as farming, mining, and of course low end conscripted soldiers.

For well over a hundred years this would progress, while the world around them advanced, leaving the poor roadies behind to suffer the vagaries of life and labor.

Elsewhere in the world, the dragons were finding themselves in anarchy, their own young rebelling back at them and demanding what they believed should be rightfully given to them, the right to the Aether streams.

The elders found themselves duking it out with the younger generation in intense aether staring contests. To any outside observer, it would see am rather primitive and silly, two drakes glaring at each other, because they would never see the intense amount of magic that is passing between the two.

The loser would find themselves completely obliterated in most cases, and though the elders had the strength, the youths had the numbers.

Soon enough this would lead to the cataclysmic Aether Wars.

More Roan History will be released, detailing the world, its ponies, and of course the other species that inhabit it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

The more I think about that airplane the more troubled I get at how it wouldn't fly and how it could be changed to actually work.

Needs more engines. Anything can fly with enough thrust.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I can't tell anymore if Spencers and Sharper Image were ahead of their time selling poo poo like this or the next evolution of their wares became Kickstarter fodder.

it's a real chicken and egg paradox

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Sharper Image's problem was selling physical products. Taking the money and running is the superior business model

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

of course it's a nazi griffin
of loving course it is

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, I skimmed the copy-paste post and saw Canadians. And I know for certain that the Canadians never lost an overseas war.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Now I know it's not explicitly My Little Pony, but I feel like some of the artwork there is so similar in style and it's so obvious what it's trying to do that Hasbro could step in, right? Like, it's pretty transparent.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Don't worry, I skimmed the copy-paste post and saw Canadians. And I know for certain that the Canadians never lost an overseas war.

No no no, that's canidians, not canadians.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Miss posted:

of course it's a nazi griffin
of loving course it is

That doesn't look like a nazi uniform at all. Looks more Soviet, really.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

That doesn't look like a nazi uniform at all. Looks more Soviet, really.

Yeah, was going to post that it looked like NKVD, especially the cap. It could be an amalgamation of both looks.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Now I know it's not explicitly My Little Pony, but I feel like some of the artwork there is so similar in style and it's so obvious what it's trying to do that Hasbro could step in, right? Like, it's pretty transparent.

I think of you're Hasbro you have to step in with lawyers anyway and assume the people behind the Kickstarter project can't afford them.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/aprilaser/status/1173994189127766017

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Let's check out some blasts from the past.

Remember flatev, the Artisan Tortilla Maker?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

Estimated delivery in 2016, raised $136k from 662 backers. To refresh your memory, it's a Keurig, except for tortillas. Individual pods, supplied by the manufacturer, and they make a tortilla about 4" across. Estimated to cost $.80 per pod, and the pods last about 6 weeks in the fridge.

As you might expect, no one has received their Tortiigs! Their updates are backer-only, so I can't see what excuses they're giving. The commenters are getting frustrated and the word 'lawsuit' has come up.

Tellspec, a food scanner that would tell you what was in your food as well as its nutritional information
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tellspec-what-s-in-your-food#/

It was supposed to ship in 2014, and it fleeced $386k from 1765 backers on IGG. Their latest updates are basically saying "Welp, we can't make Raman spectrometers for that cheap, so we'll let you have one of our $1500 scanners with a big discount if you pony up some more money". And, of course, Raman spectrometers can only tell you about what the light bounces off of, so it can only tell you what the surface of the food is. They haven't posted on IGG in nearly a year.

Shiftware, which were basically shoes made out of LCD screens.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/shiftwear-customize-your-kicks#/

Supposed to ship in October 2016. Pulled nearly a million bucks on IGG, and apparently got money elsewhere as well. Their latest update from April of last year was a link to their webpage, which is now parked by their host as a Demo of their hosting services, because they stopped paying for it. 4 months before that, which was more than a year after the shoes were supposed to ship, they were 'onboarding a world-class executive management team' to 'acquire the necessary funding to take this product to the next phase of development', which includes 'laying foundation for critical technical, corporate and R&D components'. In other words, two years after the start of their funding, they still hadn't managed to get a team to design the product.

Fontus, a water bottle that filled itself from air and solar power.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fontus-the-self-filling-water-bottles#/

$345k, delivering in April 2017. Of course, it was essentially impossible--it claimed to produce 17 ounces of water per hour. A small dehumidifier plugged into a wall outlet can extract about 6 ounces of water in 24 hours. The EEVBlog guy said it'd take a solar panel about 1.5m² at 100% efficiency to produce enough power to pull 17 ounces of water out of 99% humidity air in an hour. As you might expect, nothing was produced, nothing was delivered, and the company was forced into bankruptcy proceedings in Vienna last year.

Znaps, magnetic adapters for your charger cables to protect them and your device against damage.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041610927/znaps-the-9-magnetic-adapter-for-your-mobile-devic/description

$3m Canadian and over 70,000 backers. Delivering at the end of 2015. The comments are full of people 'invoking' their right to refund. Project creators haven't updated in three years, and they're all talking about shipping updates. There are nearly 30,000 comments, and I'm not going to dig through them to see if anyone actually received their stuff. Their webpage is squatted by a Chinese gambling/lottery app, so...I'm guessing not.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Pyroclastic posted:

Heh, thanks for the look back. I especially enjoy that all the obviously impossible ones (of course) didn't pan out and the one possible one (the last) has been available for years for cheaper on Ali.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
What happened to the laser razor?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

klafbang posted:

Heh, thanks for the look back. I especially enjoy that all the obviously impossible ones (of course) didn't pan out and the one possible one (the last) has been available for years for cheaper on Ali.

To be fair the tortilla maker was totally possible it was just really loving dumb.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

I looked that up after the retrospective above; they are still updating.

Surprisingly, haven't delivered or provided videos since 2016. A lot of their updates are "sorry this update is late, we'll do better in the future."

Looks like it's not a scam, just idiots. Last update was their March update in June, saying they may deliver in 2021 maybe.

They do progress, but it seems they are having technical difficulties that just couldn't have been predicted like the whole thing being a dumb loving idea.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a product like znaps definitely exists. I use one on my phone and its great not putting stress on the charging port

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

Remember flatev, the Artisan Tortilla Maker?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

Estimated delivery in 2016, raised $136k from 662 backers. To refresh your memory, it's a Keurig, except for tortillas. Individual pods, supplied by the manufacturer, and they make a tortilla about 4" across. Estimated to cost $.80 per pod, and the pods last about 6 weeks in the fridge.

Honestly this one was like the Juicero for me, a great source of schadenfreude. I felt that everyone who backed this deserved to lose their money. Companies who try to apply the Keurig business model to other things and the people who enable them can all go burn.

The tear down video of the Juicero made me happy that so much investor money got burned. Though the waste of resources was saddening.

veni veni veni posted:

To be fair the tortilla maker was totally possible it was just really loving dumb.

It actually does exist, it’s just called a rotimatic and it makes rotis instead of tortillas. It also doesn’t use pods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzauCeqOb5M

.Z. has a new favorite as of 08:44 on Sep 28, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orbimarine/orbi-marine-waterproof-hands-free-360recording-eyewear

Am I crazy or is this too good to be true??

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Pretty sure it got released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q05iJ6jHu8

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

should have been drm for proprietary tortillas

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pyroclastic posted:

Znaps, magnetic adapters for your charger cables to protect them and your device against damage.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041610927/znaps-the-9-magnetic-adapter-for-your-mobile-devic/description

$3m Canadian and over 70,000 backers. Delivering at the end of 2015. The comments are full of people 'invoking' their right to refund. Project creators haven't updated in three years, and they're all talking about shipping updates. There are nearly 30,000 comments, and I'm not going to dig through them to see if anyone actually received their stuff. Their webpage is squatted by a Chinese gambling/lottery app, so...I'm guessing not.

I've never commented but I can confirm I never got mine. Oh well, I've wasted C$11 on dumber things. At least I didn't get fleeced for more.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

I've never commented but I can confirm I never got mine. Oh well, I've wasted C$11 on dumber things. At least I didn't get fleeced for more.

Mods

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Another blast from the past (not mentioned in this thread): Animusic 3.

You might remember Animusic from the Pipe Dream video that went viral a while ago. One guy made the music and another guy made the animations. They raised $200,000 to make a third installment, originally set to release in 2013. Then the guy who did the animation left the project (and I think disappeared from the internet?) and the other guy never officially canceled it but stopped updating years ago. Hard to say whether it's a scam or just personal issues. People are still commenting on the Kickstarter but seem to be more disappointed than angry.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

.Z. posted:

It actually does exist, it’s just called a rotimatic and it makes rotis instead of tortillas. It also doesn’t use pods.

I keep getting ads for this thing and it looks slightly cool. I have a bread maker, why not a flatbread maker? :v:

IT COSTS A THOUSAND DOLLARS. $1,000 !?!!!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

It also sounds like a full metal shop and the roti are just “pretty good”

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I feel like with a lot of this stuff you could run the Kickstarter, wait for the Chinese knockoffs to appear, then drop ship them from Alibaba.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Or just go straight to alibaba and find some poo poo to rebrand through fancy product photography in a bespoke kitchen and pay some Portlandian to be your spokesman

Or just remove the middle middle man and take the money and run

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

.Z. posted:

does he have tattoos for eyebrows

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
As a Mexican, I'm having a blast with Keurig Tortilla. 80 cents per tortilla is just nuts. Here a kilo is around a dollar and while they cost most outside of Mexico, it's still not that crazy expensive. I would laugh at gringos doing dumb stuff but the CEO is actually from Guadalajara, so I don't even know.

What I find crazier is that tortillas... are not actually hard to make. People who don't care much will still buy them premade and the ones who do will make them on their own because they are easy to make, it's way faster, and it's cheaper. It's not even good for business because you can only do one tortilla at a time and people tend to eat between one to five per meal.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Siselmo posted:

As a Mexican, I'm having a blast with Keurig Tortilla. 80 cents per tortilla is just nuts. Here a kilo is around a dollar and while they cost most outside of Mexico, it's still not that crazy expensive. I would laugh at gringos doing dumb stuff but the CEO is actually from Guadalajara, so I don't even know.

What I find crazier is that tortillas... are not actually hard to make. People who don't care much will still buy them premade and the ones who do will make them on their own because they are easy to make, it's way faster, and it's cheaper. It's not even good for business because you can only do one tortilla at a time and people tend to eat between one to five per meal.

I'm no chef but I looked up the basic recipe for a tortilla and holy poo poo, these are easy as gently caress to make.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Intoluene posted:

I'm no chef but I looked up the basic recipe for a tortilla and holy poo poo, these are easy as gently caress to make.

Yeah it seems like a lot of kitchen gadgets are more about adding an extra step or making something cheap and simple into something expensive and inconvenient. I despise Keurig machines for basically that reason; coffee is not a complicated process and does not need pods, expensive machines, and extra steps.

Tortilla stuff is basically the same. It's a simple food made out of basic, cheap ingredients. We don't need to over complicate it. We don't need fancy gadgets. We don't need artisinal versions with decorations. Tortillas are fine the way they are leave them alone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
They’re a pain in the rear end without a tortilla press, but yeah otherwise it’s a dumb thing to simplify.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Even the best fancy tortillas are simple!

https://www.kcrw.com/culture/shows/good-food/kcrw-gustavos-great-tortilla-tournament-finale-taco-maria-wins-the-golden-tortilla

quote:

For the final showdown, Evan and others brought up a salient point: Why must there be just one winner? Why can’t we declare a Corn winner and Flour winner, and leave them to glory?

As the founder of the #TortillaTournament, I had a simple response: No.

Flour and corn tortillas might be like comparing apples to oranges — but the latter are fruits, no? Similarly, corn and flour tortillas are vastly different — but they’re still both tortillas. And so, to paraphrase Highlander, there can be only one Golden Tortilla.

RandomPauI has a new favorite as of 03:11 on Sep 29, 2019

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
naan is the only bread worth eating but you gotta adhere it to the top of the oven with a ball of ultra sticky dough so it bakes in the form of mt fuji, which can be inverted and filled with curry.

curry is called kare because it's kare. this is the yakitate of japan. let us meditate upon it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Legally they have to call it sparkling stew unless it's made at Kure Naval Arsenal.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

tuyop posted:

They’re a pain in the rear end without a tortilla press, but yeah otherwise it’s a dumb thing to simplify.

My friend's mom does hers by putting the dough ball in plastic like with a tortilla maker, put it in her countertop, and then pressing it with the flat side of a large cast iron pan. Or you can be more traditional and shape it with your hands. Takes a bit of practice, and when I make them like this they are usually less thin than normal, but it feels great once you get the hang of it. Admittedly I'm kind of lazy because there's a tortillería five minutes away from my home on foot, so most of the time I get them from there.

I really have to stress how inefficient that machine is, my god. Even if you are making them on your own by hand, you can be shaping one while the previous one is cooking at the comal/pan. At any taquería or restaurant where they make their own tortillas, they are usually making like a dozen per minute at a minimum, if not more.

(and honestly, if you want to make your own tortillas, just do it, whether they are made of corn or wheat. they are hella easy, and despite what many say, any filling is fine as long as it tastes good to you. even if it is not "authentic mexican". and any mexican who tells you wheat flour tortillas are not mexican is a goddamn idiot from the CDMX/the south who has never set foot in Sonora)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I use a tortilla press and a crepe pan. What I need though is a second crepe pan so I can double my throughput. Even with just one pan it's much faster than that tortilla maker. We also need to note they are also tiny tortillas.