Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

lorn Wayne posted:

are

are you telling me that people can be attracted to power over looks?

waht thef fucckn

henry kissinger hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Just use the old bag and bucket method (the bucket's for when the bag comes off accidentally).

Ayn Randi posted:

henry kissinger hosed

That loving poo poo has a deal with the devil. loving die already!

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Social media is wild and has been wild for the past 3 years but recently there's been a noted ramp up in complete loving idiots protecting no deal brexit and this lovely government of crooks.

It's not just me, right?

Dravs posted:

There is a huge amount of easily identifiable bots causing disruption if that's what you mean?

genericnick posted:

My dude the pro-brexit bots are the UK's anti disinformation campaign.

I've started archiving the bots on archive.org wayback machine, something weird happens when you have saved their twitter profiles to the wayback machine. The profiles will display, what i assume to be the language of the proxy the influence operative is currently using.

I see loads of Russian and Arabic languages, and even some Japanese. It seems other people has also been doing this, as several of the most noticeable and prolific bots have been saved to wayback machine many times. In those cases, if you go back to the first times the account was added it will often show English language, then it switched to Russian/Arabian etc when they figure out how to use a proxy.

99% of the bots i have found are spreading far-right propaganda, but i have also seen very few left-leaning ones, possibly to cover their asses they make a few of those also, or could be just random people operating independently, not sure.

The pro-brexit English bots seem to be a little more sophisticated, probably upgraded them after they got caught spreading anti-corbyn propaganda, and the whole cambridge analytica scandal, which smelled badly of intelligence work. Some of the trumpbots are so unsophisticated it is almost laughable how bad they are, for instance right as they were escalating with Iran, there suddenly appeared a bunch of weird Iranian regime-change bots that was super obvious.

It is very clear that there is some involvement from western intelligence agencies here, i'm not sure how they expect people to not catch on to this. Israel is using anti-bds as a cover to spread their propaganda, UK-US is doing the same surely.

There is a part in ZeroDays, the documentary about the Stuxnet virus, a very telling interview with James Clapper, former Director of National Intelligence for USA, where he talks about the need to establish guidelines and rules for the use of these new cyber weapons, comparing it to the guidelines for use of nuclear weapons etc. He essentially says that as soon as the USA does something, the rest of the world assumes this is the new standard, which is why we suddenly have so many disinformation bots.

Sorry, i wrote a novel, but this is a big reason why we even have Trump and Brexit i think.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think the British public have known the media are lying shitbags for decades, it’s just the Americans have only just woken up to it and, like a self absorbed 15 year old, is telling everyone all about it like it’s the first time it’s ever happened

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jel Shaker posted:

I think the British public have known the media are lying shitbags for decades, it’s just the Americans have only just woken up to it and, like a self absorbed 15 year old, is telling everyone all about it like it’s the first time it’s ever happened

The British public are absolute media dupes, whether their preferred poison is tabloids or the grown up sensible broadsheets and the bbc

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tingfinder posted:

I've started archiving the bots on archive.org wayback machine, something weird happens when you have saved their twitter profiles to the wayback machine. The profiles will display, what i assume to be the language of the proxy the influence operative is currently using.

I see loads of Russian and Arabic languages, and even some Japanese. It seems other people has also been doing this, as several of the most noticeable and prolific bots have been saved to wayback machine many times. In those cases, if you go back to the first times the account was added it will often show English language, then it switched to Russian/Arabian etc when they figure out how to use a proxy.

99% of the bots i have found are spreading far-right propaganda, but i have also seen very few left-leaning ones, possibly to cover their asses they make a few of those also, or could be just random people operating independently, not sure.

The pro-brexit English bots seem to be a little more sophisticated, probably upgraded them after they got caught spreading anti-corbyn propaganda, and the whole cambridge analytica scandal, which smelled badly of intelligence work. Some of the trumpbots are so unsophisticated it is almost laughable how bad they are, for instance right as they were escalating with Iran, there suddenly appeared a bunch of weird Iranian regime-change bots that was super obvious.

It is very clear that there is some involvement from western intelligence agencies here, i'm not sure how they expect people to not catch on to this. Israel is using anti-bds as a cover to spread their propaganda, UK-US is doing the same surely.

There is a part in ZeroDays, the documentary about the Stuxnet virus, a very telling interview with James Clapper, former Director of National Intelligence for USA, where he talks about the need to establish guidelines and rules for the use of these new cyber weapons, comparing it to the guidelines for use of nuclear weapons etc. He essentially says that as soon as the USA does something, the rest of the world assumes this is the new standard, which is why we suddenly have so many disinformation bots.

Sorry, i wrote a novel, but this is a big reason why we even have Trump and Brexit i think.

This is fascinating, is there any other stuff written on this?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

gschmidl posted:

That loving poo poo has a deal with the devil. loving die already!
That deal being "I don't want you loving ghoul down here".

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the one guy who knew what brexit really means is quitting

https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1177922437771677705

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Jel Shaker posted:

it all started in the little known suburb of liverpool, when they realised the sun were bastards

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
isnt this the kind of thing of thing someone would open an official treason investigation about

https://twitter.com/Robert___Harris/status/1177846231772647424

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

poty posted:

isnt this the kind of thing of thing someone would open an official treason investigation about

Lol no, why?

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is fascinating, is there any other stuff written on this?

There's a website that tracks bots called botsentinel.com, and an app too that marks them and enables you to report/check activity

You can see alot of stats about them there, including which trending topics, accounts, etc they are currently pushing.

For instance trump and charliekirk are the most retweeted accounts by bots, in terms of hashtags its currently #MAGA, Trump2020, WWG1WGA, Ukraine, Trump2020LandslideVictory, Qanon, TeamFollowBack.

From that you can see that bots are very active pushing that Qanon stuff, and they have some sort of russian doll situation going on with bots following eachother, signal boosting everything.

There's been a few articles of bots, influence operations etc these last 3 years, my archives are insanely disorganized, but here's a few about the Israeli anti-bds stuff and in UK it was a program to counter russian propaganda it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/10/foreign-office-investigates-report-state-funded-body-targeted-corbyn

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Training-activists-in-the-social-media-war-against-BDS-459329

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-okays-72-million-anti-bds-project/

https://www.thecanary.co/trending/2018/12/11/by-posting-anti-corbyn-tweets-this-black-ops-organisation-has-just-shot-itself-in-the-foot/

I'm pretty sure this is just the way things are now, and various states, corporations etc will be sponsoring influence operations from here on out, until such a time as there is some guidelines setup and agreed upon internationally, as to what can and cannot be done in this new realm of 'cyber' as they call it.

Oh that documentary i mentioned earlier, Zero Days is a great watch if you havn't checked it. It mostly deals with electronic warfare, but many of the things they discuss can easily be applied to influence operations too, namely the need for some regulations on this poo poo.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

lorn Wayne posted:

it all started in the little known suburb of liverpool, when they realised the sun were bastards

I remember watching a documentary a decade ago where the editor of the Sun went to Liverpool and find out how he can get the paper back on the shelves.

95% of it was the guy being defensive as gently caress saying “all the tabloids had the same Hillsborough disaster coverage and all you are doing is just picking on the most successful newspaper.”

The final 5% was him exasperated and finally asking what he could do.

Finally a random person off the street, went and said “Full front page apology from the Sun on their Hillsborough disaster coverage”.

The editor replied with “I can’t do that, it will cost too much. How about a corner article somewhere inside?”

In conclusion, gently caress the Sun.

Eararaldor has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Sep 28, 2019

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Eararaldor posted:

The editor replied with “I can’t do that, it will cost too much.

this is the exact point where you realise we live in a normal and good system

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

everybody should read the book Stick It Up Your Punter

it’s more or less a full history of the Sun and goes into a bunch of shady poo poo they’ve done over the years. not so much phone hacking though. Flat Earth News was pretty good at covering that, even though it came out years before the phone hacking scandal even happened. and then everyone pretended like it was a total shock and no-one could possibly have known anyway, lmao

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

poty posted:

wait didn't this already happen once?

the brexitman quit, and was replaced by another brexitman who's now quitting? or have i been cast adrift on the event horizon of xeno's brexit, forever creeping towards a crashing no-deal that can never actually hit?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Preston Waters posted:

I bet he and trump have hosed the same hooker(s)

look at the guy who thinks teen rape victims are hookers

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Its poo poo like this that got me so interested in this mess

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/caller-tells-james-obrien-payrise-after-brexit/

quote:

"I hope you're right, John. I hope that you are better off as a result of the pound going down, the economy suffering and the Road Haulage Association describing the prospect of a no-deal Brexit in apocalyptic terms. But I hope you're right and they're wrong."

Remarkably, John went on to say that the Road Haulage Association don't know anything about road haulage...

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

marktheando posted:

To be more specific on the reason Alan Sugar became Lord Sugar, labour prime minister gordon brown thought it would be a great idea to appoint the man from tv's The Apprentice to be a government 'enterprise champion' in the house of lords.

Brown sugar

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

poty posted:

The English banking and financial industries in general want to stay in the free trade zone at all costs. I don't think there's actually all that much money riding on it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dance Officer posted:

The English banking and financial industries in general want to stay in the free trade zone at all costs. I don't think there's actually all that much money riding on it.

the U.K. is an island of hedge funds and tax avoidance though, this could be a nice smash and grab 1980’s style financial theft

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the brexitman quit, and was replaced by another brexitman who's now quitting? or have i been cast adrift on the event horizon of xeno's brexit, forever creeping towards a crashing no-deal that can never actually hit?

It did

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

poty posted:

Was that the "there will be adequate food" guy? It cannot possibly be a competent actor, if he's in charge of Brexit planning.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/PageSix/status/1177302006878392321?s=20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

think i could get $50 from them for a pic of my in my shirts that i wear until they fall apart

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jel Shaker posted:

the U.K. is an island of hedge funds and tax avoidance though, this could be a nice smash and grab 1980’s style financial theft

Brexit's been pretty clearly disaster capitalists salivating over the prospect of going full 90s Russia on Britain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Jel Shaker posted:

A lot of the structures enabling the UK to siphon off tax base from EU countries would still be functional after a hard Brexit anyway. The reason the banks in London are less than thrilled about hard Brexit is not that it makes their tax avoidance and evasion structures untenable, it's that being outside the EU makes it harder for people like the banks to make good money off implementing these structures.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Suella Braverman has resigned multiple times from DxEU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Jel Shaker posted:

Maybe, but no access to the European common market would kill the british financial industry for good. That's their customer base. At that point they'd have to earn so much out of the short that they can survive the collapse without going bankrupt, or be the sort of loners who don't care.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Anyone who is pushing for no-deal Brexit and actually understands what it entails is 100% scheming to cash out and doesn't care what happens to the industry afterwards.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

they took our stuff and shoved it in a museum and that isn’t right, says loving britain

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jesus WEP posted:

they took our stuff and shoved it in a museum and that isn’t right, says loving britain
In recent years there's been what appears to be an organized and systematic effort to break into western museums and steal Chinese artifacts that were looted from the Summer Palace in 1860.

Western museum curators are really upset!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

At first I magined some kind of Carmen Sandiego like heist, but then I looked up the mountain and LOL, he just took a pebble of a loving cairn they count as the peak.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

FMguru posted:

In recent years there's been what appears to be an organized and systematic effort to break into western museums and steal Chinese artifacts that were looted from the Summer Palace in 1860.

Western museum curators are really upset!

Looks like No Deal really can be better than a Bad Deal as long as you're China.

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Dance Officer posted:

This is good, for Bitcoin!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

*powerful detection equipment swivels toward this*

*close up on label reading “BREXIT”, slow pan up to the gauge it captions*

*the needle begins twitching*

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

it's ok when we do it. what part of this don't you understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

there's a bollywood movie about a guy who steals back the kohinoor, but it doesn't show the heist at all, the plot starts with him already having it and just uses it as the conflict for an interminable romance, 2/5

i can't wait for a brexit romantic comedies