Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Condiv posted:

i wouldn't call a white person claiming to be cherokee despite having zero ties to the cherokee nation clueless. i'd call it racist.

the people of oklahoma have a nasty history wrt to native americans and the cherokee nation. the university of oklahoma calls its students sooners, referencing the white settlers who settled in native american territory before the US government took more of it away from native americans to give to white people. those same white people, who raped, murdered, and stole now use the ancestry of those they oppressed as something fashionable, while making literally no effort to actually help or make amends for what they did. that's just a continuation of an ugly history of racism

Okay but how can you expect her to know about all that history when she was just a little girl of *checks notes* 70 years old who *flips page over* went to HARVARD?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

think that a person who well into her 70s still self-identified her and her family as cherokee

Might wanna check your math there bud.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"Warren lying about her ethnicity for personal gain doesn't matter and didn't actually help her that much!" claims increasingly nervous liberals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Might wanna check your math there bud.

Isn't there video of her in 2012 saying that she is definitely Cherokee because she phrenologized her cheekbones.

Is your defense "she was only 63 when she was saying dumb racist poo poo :smug:"

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Speaking of Oklahoma, have any of the candidates commented on Sharp vs Murphy? It's a monumental case that seems to get barely any discussion.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The most eye-narrowing thing with Warren's claims is that despite how much that ancestry supposedly meant to her she sure didn't have any loving interest in involving herself with Native American causes - DAPL being the most glaring recent example. It makes it extremely hard to view it as anything more than her primarily seeing it as a bonus tool for networking.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VitalSigns posted:

Isn't there video of her in 2012 saying that she is definitely Cherokee because she phrenologized her cheekbones.

Is your defense "she was only 63 when she was saying dumb racist poo poo :smug:"

I'm not defending her, I'm getting in a cheap shot over a typo.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

The most eye-narrowing thing with Warren's claims is that despite how much that ancestry supposedly meant to her she sure didn't have any loving interest in involving herself with Native American causes - DAPL being the most glaring recent example. It makes it extremely hard to view it as anything more than her primarily seeing it as a bonus tool for networking.

That's what separates her from Dolezal really, Dolezal was actually an activist for the minority community she started pretending to be a part of. Warren was just doing it to get ahead in her professional career

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Condiv posted:

i'd like to point out that the town warren grew up in, norman oklahoma, was a KKK stronghold for a very long time, and was definitely a KKK stronghold when warren was growing up there. I remember one of my professors talking about how his family had to leave norman shortly after moving there because they received anonymous threats against them. one of the streets near the university of oklahoma is literally named after a member of the KKK (and one of the first four professors in OU, edwin debarr).

imagine how clueless you'd have to be to think that you were native american enough to self-identify as cherokee, but somehow your family didn't get harassed out of a KKK stronghold like norman oklahoma.

What ethnic, religious, or political group did your professor fall into that caused his family to receive death threats? The KKK, while not exclusive to the South, had a long history of being active in the South without driving out or killing every minority in the state. While being NA would be enough to draw the ire of racists, it's not like they were 24/7 attacking every minority in existence.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

SimonCat posted:

What ethnic, religious, or political group did your professor fall into that caused his family to receive death threats? The KKK, while not exclusive to the South, had a long history of being active in the South without driving out or killing every minority in the state. While being NA would be enough to draw the ire of racists, it's not like they were 24/7 attacking every minority in existence.

Dude...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

time to up the tax.

https://twitter.com/adam_tooze/status/1177980278301745152

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

SimonCat posted:

african american. as for "maybe the white-supremacist KKK tolerated native americans this one time???", considering their history i think we should go ahead and assume the KKK was racist against non-whites until proven otherwise.

also, i'd note that we're talking specifically about the KKK driving minorities out of a kkk stronghold town, norman oklahoma, and not out of the state of oklahoma.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

You might want to sit down because this will shock you, but their class interests would also be threatened by a Sander's presidency, thus they've not reason to disclose such things!

It was pretty obviously a rhetorical question but thanks for the content warning.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Read this

https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2019/09/27/the-left-press-is-failing-bernie-sanders/

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bowser posted:

No, but it makes an easy rallying cry. "But her emails" and "lock her up" will be replaced by "Pocahontas" and wearing face paint while impersonating tribal war cries.

So you're saying it might cost him Georgia and Florida. Though, threatening to drain the swamp didn't seem to hurt him as bad as I thought last time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we should be voting by who does the funniest trump impersonation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

the_steve posted:

"Warren lying about her ethnicity for personal gain doesn't matter and didn't actually help her that much!" claims increasingly nervous liberals.

it didn't help her, despite her exclusively using that identification when it would benefit her and literally never using it when it would help the community like say doing work on reservations or advocating for native rights issues or the like.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

bowser posted:

No, but it makes an easy rallying cry. "But her emails" and "lock her up" will be replaced by "Pocahontas" and wearing face paint while impersonating tribal war cries.

so you're saying that the trump base will just go full racist yellow-face and the election will likely result in lovely sports teams finally dropping Native Peoples mascots?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Condiv posted:

african american. as for "maybe the white-supremacist KKK tolerated native americans this one time???", considering their history i think we should go ahead and assume the KKK was racist against non-whites until proven otherwise.

also, i'd note that we're talking specifically about the KKK driving minorities out of a kkk stronghold town, norman oklahoma, and not out of the state of oklahoma.

Ok, I misunderstood.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SimonCat posted:

The KKK, while not exclusive to the South, had a long history of being active in the South without driving out or killing every minority in the state.

just to be clear this is literally white supremacist talking points. 'Sure the KKK is bad but they didn't literally murder anyone they found darker than mayonnaise so who's to say?'

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ytlaya posted:

The question isn't if they're undervaluing them, but how much they are. They need to be undervaluing them by quite a bit for Sanders to make up the difference. I hope this is the case. For anecdotal reasons I'm pessimistic. Anecdotally my parents are former 2016 Bernie supporters who seem to be under the impression that he's not a major candidate this time around and now like Warren. And they aren't exactly upper-middle class; mom was a first grade teacher and dad was an x-ray tech who made even less than her. I wouldn't be surprised if the media successfully manages to wipe out Bernie's >50 support by painting the election as mainly between Biden and Warren. Basically, if almost no one over 50 votes for Bernie, even a dramatically higher youth turn-out won't be enough. It scares me because I've seen first-hand the extent to which the media can control how people perceive these candidates.

Maybe you should explain to them why voting for a racist white lady who literally took a DNA test is bad?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

While being NA would be enough to draw the ire of racists, it's not like they were 24/7 attacking every minority in existence.

What exactly is your point, man?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
https://twitter.com/robillard/status/1177976876020699137?s=21

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Chilichimp posted:

What exactly is your point, man?

The point I was making, though it was clarified through further conversation, that her family's continued residence in a racist area is not evidence that they did not think of themselves as having NA ancestry or wouldn't claim that if asked.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Majorian posted:

Yeah, the good part about this is that, outside of people who are already #NeverBernies, most voters absolutely loathe people like this.

e: Jeet Heer apparently agrees!

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1177755161139265536

Jeet's only partially right here. Yeah, doofuses like you and I should canvas more than we post. But, the general vibe of Bernie v. the corporate media/wealthy/party elite is also what will turn out voters. It's not that people are engaged with CAP or MSNBC that much; it's that Bri Gray and Bernie and Nina Turner and all the other campaign surrogates can use that to say "see? they don't want you to have a better life, and Bernie is right -- they're rigging the system against you."

Bernie is the synthesis of Obama and Trump. He's offering hope through his many "x for all" arguments and fostering hate for the elite. That combination is why he's crushing everyone else in donors and volunteers.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

lol the leftists even in her own campaign are revolting against her

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

Maybe we should be voting by who does the funniest trump impersonation.

That would almost certainly be Bernie. Part of the reason why I'm so excited for him to debate Trump.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

17 dollars an hour plus cell phones for a 60 hour, high travel work week. Hell yeah, workers rights!!!!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

ELO Musk posted:

17 dollars an hour plus cell phones for a 60 hour, high travel work week. Hell yeah, workers rights!!!!

wait til you see what the rest of the field pays

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i am the bird posted:

Jeet's only partially right here. Yeah, doofuses like you and I should canvas more than we post. But, the general vibe of Bernie v. the corporate media/wealthy/party elite is also what will turn out voters. It's not that people are engaged with CAP or MSNBC that much; it's that Bri Gray and Bernie and Nina Turner and all the other campaign surrogates can use that to say "see? they don't want you to have a better life, and Bernie is right -- they're rigging the system against you."

Bernie is the synthesis of Obama and Trump. He's offering hope through his many "x for all" arguments and fostering hate for the elite. That combination is why he's crushing everyone else in donors and volunteers.

That's true, and I think Jeet would probably agree. I think his point is more, "Don't despair, don't get discouraged by this," etc.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

CelestialScribe posted:

Warren’s NA stuff is just her being clueless - something all politicians have done at some point. The two aren’t comparable.
The person who taught law at Harvard is clueless!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
people would be more willing to believe warren was just a dumb white lady who never realized she was bullshitting if she literally ever did anything for the native community.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

sexpig by night posted:

people would be more willing to believe warren was just a dumb white lady who never realized she was bullshitting if she literally ever did anything for the native community.
Well yeah, she was absolutely silent about the DAPL other than getting the guards to arrest a Native American after he did a celebratory chant/song after the one DAPL vote (and she looked completely perplexed as to what was actually happening because she's not loving Native American.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

sexpig by night posted:

Hey now, that's not fair. She popularized the beloved Cherokee delicacy known as "Crab with Tomato Mayonnaise Dressing," which raised great awareness and brought numerous benefits to the Cherokee people.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cool so $16/hr plus whatever you can skim off the top of the stipend by cheaping out on travel/phone expenses, and all you need to do is work yourself to death. What a lovely contract.

Edit: I guess that's a good amount of vacation days assuming people are allowed to actually use them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

does this eliminate the unpaid interns or is she still doing that? considering the "health benefits remain the same as always" language, I'm guessing that's a no

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SimonCat posted:

The point I was making, though it was clarified through further conversation, that her family's continued residence in a racist area is not evidence that they did not think of themselves as having NA ancestry or wouldn't claim that if asked.

No offense to you, man, but I feel like your argument was attempting to downplay the horribleness of the KKK and I'd like you to honestly consider the thought process that brought you there.

Majorian posted:

That would almost certainly be Bernie. Part of the reason why I'm so excited for him to debate Trump.

IDK if Bernie would actually do the impression though?

It would hands down be the best, though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

IDK if Bernie would actually do the impression though?

It would hands down be the best, though.

I mean, maybe not, but I think he's got the best chance of doing it at least. It sure as hell wouldn't be Warren or Biden.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

I mean, maybe not, but I think he's got the best chance of doing it at least. It sure as hell wouldn't be Warren or Biden.

Biden would 100% do it on a debate stage.

edit: I don't want him to win, nor do I think he even can. My original post was a joke based on an earlier tweet posted of Biden doing the impression in front of donors or something.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Chilichimp posted:

Biden would 100% do it on a debate stage.

He'd try and bomb so hard, it wouldn't even be funny. I'd just feel sorry for him, and I don't want to feel sorry for Biden.