Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Florida is only flat in the grand sense across the state. Locally there’s a lot of hills, some steep enough to give inexperienced stick shift drivers trouble. There’s long stretches without sidewalk as well.

What is it with goons assuming that nobody has different geography and weather and they just haven’t considered “Just ride a bike when it’s nice out!”

The highest point in the state of Florida is literally undefined

Like it's a 300-foot hill in the far north of the state and nobody knows exactly which one it is

I have climbed an equivalent amount of elevation as the entire State of Florida in half an hour of biking around San Francisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In some places it's worse.

I mean, yes? Not sure what your point is here

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

I mean, yes? Not sure what your point is here

That your suggestion to bike on roads is contingent on local circumstances. If your only option is a 50mph two lane road with a debris-ridden shoulder, it really is that bad especially if traffic is heavy.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 28, 2019

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

DemoneeHo posted:

WIBTA if I tell my friend about his surprise birthday party ?

That's a pretty terrible surprise.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HOT BREAD! posted:

My bf’s mom wants his birthday dinner to be “family only”, as in I’m not invited. Am I wrong to feel a bit miffed?

Lady, I'm glad it was a misunderstanding but maybe you should learn Spanish if you want to be part of this family.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That your suggestion to bike on roads is contingent on local circumstances. If your only option is a 50mph two lane road with a debris-ridden shoulder, it really is that bad especially if traffic is heavy.

And if your only option were biking through a warzone, it'd be even worse than that!

Except homie said they are biking in urban sprawl and the suburbs, so... :shrug:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

And if your only option were biking through a warzone, it'd be even worse than that!

Except homie said they are biking in urban sprawl and the suburbs, so... :shrug:

That is a lot of suburban roads in the US. There is literally one on my urban sprawl/suburban commute I couldn't safely navigate if not for the sidewalk.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Where I live, drivers are loving lunatics who try to run bikers off the road because they think bikers should be on the sidewalk, which is illegal. It sucks rear end

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The highest point in the state of Florida is literally undefined

Like it's a 300-foot hill in the far north of the state and nobody knows exactly which one it is

I have climbed an equivalent amount of elevation as the entire State of Florida in half an hour of biking around San Francisco

:hai: I'll take OP's word that traffic makes bike commuting untenable but if you are afraid of Florida hills you sorely need to pedal up some

ugly American sprawl is hell for cycling because there's no way to cut through on side streets as the individual subdivisions/strip malls are only interconnected by busy 4/6 -lane arterial roads

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Pinecone Sample posted:

They typically email us like 10-14 days in advance, people probably just assume (or want to believe) they missed the email or forgot by the day of. I usually remember if it says it's just a test and not to evacuate, plus those are only like a split-second.

So if you know it's a drill you just... ignore the fire alarm? Aren't drills also supposed to teach the workers what to do in case of an actual emergency? If my boss sent a mail saying "Ignore the fire alarm today, it's just a drill", that would be against so many regulations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

I (20 something F) am getting married and I can't invite friend (20 something M) to my wedding for good reasons, but I feel bad
u/Ailidh0309
My friend and I have been friends since we were small. We don't see eachother a lot these days but we have a very close bond and we make a point of being there for everything important and keeping in touch. He's the sort of friend most people would invite to their wedding.

A few years ago he had some legal trouble and it ended up being quite a big deal. I don't want to go in to specifics (you'd never guess what it was anyway lol), but he didn't harm anyone physically or anything like that and it was a bit of a silly yet very frowned upon crime, and he shouldn't have done it. It did cause offence to quite a lot of people. It was very embarrassing and he has became quite well known and recognisable where we live and it's very difficult for him to go anywhere in public without people shouting at him or staring. Quite a lot of our other friends have turned against him, and opinions on him are divided amongst our family and friends.

I really want him at my wedding, but my partner and about half of my family really don't want him there. I am also aware that while I want him there it doesn't mean it's a good idea. It could lead to a lot of tension and some people might even leave if he shows up.

I was thinking of inviting him to the evening where he might blend in a bit more, but that brings up the added issue of people possibly being drunk.

What would you guys do?

Tldr; my friend committed a stupid yet well publicised crime and despite our close and long friendship I don't think I can invite him to my wedding.

Note: the OP refuses to delve what the crime was, and repeatedly brushes it off as silly or just a little thing

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I don’t know anything about Florida’s elevation but I do know southern drivers and their irrational hatred for bicyclists, and also along the southern gulf coast right now it’s already 85F at like 7:30 am. you think it’s gonna be cool to show up to your office job drenched in sweat from biking through the swamp, even if you wanted to do that every day

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

teen witch posted:

Note: the OP refuses to delve what the crime was, and repeatedly brushes it off as silly or just a little thing

Dude was definitely caught cranking it in public

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

henkman posted:

Dude was definitely caught cranking it in public

yeah public urination at the very least, but youre probably right

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Lol you don't have to justify your Uber use to this thread. Just tip well.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I was thinking maybe streaking, but yeah it’s more likely it was on the side of “not actually harmless”

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"didn't harm anyone physically" and "it's a bit silly but very frowned upon" sounds like someone trying to minimize sexual assault imo

like a louis ck kind of move

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

The worse thing is that they started dating when she was 22 and he was 32. Gross. I have 22 year old students and they are very obviously still mentally and emotionally immature.

That somehow implies the 32 year old couldn't be just as immature.

22 is probably the earliest a 10 year gap in that direction might be ok. By 22 a person could be graduated and working full time or in grad school as part of a planned life path. Or if they've just been working full time since they were old enough its 5 years of financial independence if they moved out of their parents home.

Either way in both directions its possible for the person to be barely as emotionally/mentally mature as a regular high schooler. I know some 30 year olds who act like they are still living the college lifestyle of heavy drinking and irresponsibility and always running the risk of losing their job and people in their early 20s taking life seriously and planning long term.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

OP says it was "disrespectful and offensive," but nobody was at risk of getting hurt and the friend was acquitted, so I bet it was one of those cases where a drunk kid stole the baby Jesus from a nativity display or ripped down an American flag or some poo poo, pictures went viral on Facebook, and the DA scraped the bottom of the barrel to find charges to throw at him to satisfy the local boomers.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
They need some kind of contempt powers for these people who refuse to disclose the literal only detail that matters

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

chemtrail huffer posted:

OP says it was "disrespectful and offensive," but nobody was at risk of getting hurt and the friend was acquitted, so I bet it was one of those cases where a drunk kid stole the baby Jesus from a nativity display or ripped down an American flag or some poo poo, pictures went viral on Facebook, and the DA scraped the bottom of the barrel to find charges to throw at him to satisfy the local boomers.
This was my thought, though it could also be spray painting "abortion is murder" on a planned parenthood clinic or dressing up as a nazi/in blackface and shouting at people.

Edit: OP appears to be in Northern Ireland so I imagine there's a lot of offensive divisive bullshit you can do there that would fit the bill.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This was my thought, though it could also be spray painting "abortion is murder" on a planned parenthood clinic or dressing up as a nazi/in blackface and shouting at people.

Or a Nazi in blackface.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

chemtrail huffer posted:

If it was anything like that the OP would have mentioned it, the fact that they avoided mentioning it makes me assume the worst

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In my head he's one of those guys who try to climb buildings, which is silly and interesting but which officials get incandescent about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildering

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

teen witch posted:

Sexually assaulting farm animals

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

chitoryu12 posted:

As lovely as Uber and Lyft are, I live in an area with awful mass transit.

Just FYI, Lyft is a much, much less evil company than Uber.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Chomp8645 posted:

I mean... having an abortion "because her boyfriend left" doesn't like automatically mean "it was revenge" lol. It could also mean "I do not feel prepared to be a single parent", and also several other possibilities.

quote:

We told her to return the baby items to us and she refused, saying she'll use them one day. 

Nah sounds to me like she did it out of spite cause it was his kid.

Also if she wasn't prepared to be a single parent fair enough but like... give the poo poo back.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It has to be something that recieved enough media coverage for him to be recognizable to people on the street, and offensive enough that people shout at him. It must be unusual or specific enough to not be easily guessed, and it would expose their identity if she revealed it online. Like in Australia there was a guy who graffited a huge dick on a memorial for a woman who was murdered and who had become the centre of a discussion about violence against women. But given how the media is split, it's debatable what type of people he has offended so it could range from 'committed a hate crime' to 'defaced a flag'.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ebola Roulette posted:

Also if she wasn't prepared to be a single parent fair enough but like... give the poo poo back.

Or maybe cut your sister who just had a bad breakup and an abortion some slack ?

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

The Bramble posted:

quote:

I (29m) can't stop smelling women

Dating show host: Now that we've given the couple-in-the-making a night to remember, let's check in with these lovebirds about their first impressions!

Girl: well he was very polite but wouldn't take his sunglasses off and dressed way too formally for the bar we were at. Honestly I was very confused because he said all the right things but his tone and affect just indicated a deep contempt for me as a person.

OP: I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it.

Hahaha quoting this post from a month ago as I catch up on the thread, so it can get the credit it deserves.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

HIJK posted:

People who believe the moon landing was faked are known for being very recalcitrant when it comes to having their beliefs challenged. Doing so makes them dig in harder and there's nothing you can do to convince them otherwise at least that I know of.

What do you do with someone who's functionally present and can do day to day tasks and pass as normal, but they also have the weirdness of "the moon landing was fake. Muslims are repopulating this country, it's white genocide. cannibalism is healthy. meat gives you boils on your skin."

Like, what do you do? They're not a danger to themselves or others. If you put them in treatment they stonewall the therapist because they know how to sell their own story and make the therapist think you are overreacting and that they don't actually think the moon landing was fake or that meat gives you bleeding pustules on the back of your hands. They're smart enough to blend in. That means you have no justification for putting them in involuntary treatment because their delusions are considered non-harmful, and since they're legal adults you cannot dictate the terms of their treatment.

The only thing to do, at least for the layman, is to watch them fall apart and finally turn them into the authorities when they slip hard enough that they do something they can't cover up. There's this idea that delusional people are stupid -- they are not. They are very smart, and they know they sound crazy so they do a good job of pretending not to be when they think their freedom is being threatened.

Yeah I know? I went through that with my dad when he was sick and hiding dementia and delusions. That doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned , even if you can't do anything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Or maybe cut your sister who just had a bad breakup and an abortion some slack ?

Stop posting reasonable takes. It's not fun.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinecone Sample posted:

Older bf lasts a long time in bed. Is it my fault?

I'm dating a lich - is it normal for his dick to be a leathery, mummified flap of skin, or am I doing something wrong in bed?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

teen witch posted:

This is definitely one of those terrorists who forcibly took over that wildlife refuge in Oregon and then promptly ran out of supplies, and then they kept begging people to stop sending them lube. Timeline matches up (a few years ago), most of them got acquitted because they hadn't hurt anyone and also they're white, and they've all had their faces broadcast on national television a bunch of times. And the entire thing was profoundly stupid. And it's precisely the kind of crime that a terminally-chud shithead would brush off

The whole thing basically outed the group as assholes, I wouldn't want to be around any of those assholes either.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

QuarkJets posted:

This is definitely one of those terrorists who forcibly took over that wildlife refuge in Oregon and then promptly ran out of supplies, and then they kept begging people to stop sending them lube. Timeline matches up (a few years ago), most of them got acquitted because they hadn't hurt anyone and also they're white, and they've all had their faces broadcast on national television a bunch of times. And the entire thing was profoundly stupid. And it's precisely the kind of crime that a terminally-chud shithead would brush off

The whole thing basically outed the group as assholes, I wouldn't want to be around any of those assholes either.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Edit: OP appears to be in Northern Ireland so I imagine there's a lot of offensive divisive bullshit you can do there that would fit the bill.

so did they flee to belfast or what

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

so did they flee to belfast or what

No clue! The post has been deleted and thread locked!

So possibly.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

teen witch posted:

Murdered her previous fiance.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Defalcated on a corpse, just a silly thing that didn't physically hurt anybody

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
My (26f) life is a TV show. Update since the "Looked through his (31m) phone and found weird poo poo" post

So when I posted last it was the middle of the night and I had just gone through my fiance's phone, maybe 3 weeks ago? I found a pretty serious fetish (not judging necessarily), plans to act on his fetish, that he has to actively "turn down all the hot girls at work all day", he demands pictures of his brother's girlfriends-of-the-night, asks for pictures and intimate details of the body parts of his friend's wife and her friends, he was sending my nudes (and lying to my face saying he hadn't sent my pictures to anyone) to his married friend and they were talking about doing things to me in graphic detail, and that he had a secret female best friend at work that he was texting all the time (while leaving my messages on "read") and he asked her out to a bar when I went out of town. (She said no).

We I talked that morning. It wasn't pretty. He apologized for most of it but insisted the relationship with the girl at work wasn't "like that". Nothing he did was "like that" according to him, but he said he could "understand why it upset me". I was (and still am) pretty mad about it all if I think about it. Wasn't sure what to do... It wasn't just that stuff... It was 6 years of him flirting with everyone he works with, rubber necking to check other women out, getting reported for sexual harassment at work or people telling me that "sexual harassment" is "just a normal day with Fiance", (the accusations were dropped and he claimed they were just disgruntled ex employees, but who loving knows) putting women down if they weren't hot, hiding relationships with women (innocent relationships or not, omission is lying).

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of soul searching about it. I'm in a tough spot and can't afford to live on my own just yet (just got a new job. He and I live together). And I don't know if I'm supposed to call it quits over all of this stuff. I don't know what to do.

That's where my TV show life comes in. I met that girl he's friends with last night.

We hit it off instantly. She (we'll call her Lindsey) reminded me a lot of my ex best friend (that's another story) but of just all the good parts. It was so much fun hanging out with her. (It was a whole work group outing at a bar). She and another girl from their job ("Brooke") are best friends at work and the three of us got to talking. Apparently my fiance is very flirtatious with Brooke and it's been uncomfortably evident to everyone that he has a crush on her. He talks inappropriately to her and makes lewd comments. (He was sitting across from us so they could only tell me so much but we're hanging out again soon). Lindsey and Brooke were both shocked to first hear he was in a relationship based on the way he conducts himself at work. Lindsey was actually tearing up telling me I deserve better (she just broke up with her fiance) and that she can't stand him. That he texts her all the time and she's uncomfortable and weirded out by it. She said people can't stand him at work because he's cocky and mean. That they have a group chat excluding only him. She feels he's debilitatingly insecure and trying to overcompensate and I have definitely thought that myself at times.

I feel like I'm in a relationship with a stranger. I knew some things and some negative personality traits he had, but not like this. It seemed like there was a lot more they wanted to tell me but they couldn't get into full stories with him sitting nearby.

I feel like I can't talk about it with him because I don't want to "out" the girls and make their work environment uncomfortable. I also don't want to needlessly hurt his feelings, like "hey guess what, everyone at work hates you, including your best friend!".

Hearing all of this last night didn't even hurt. I was barely even angry. I feel so numb. I legitimately don't know what I'm supposed to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sagebrush posted:

"didn't harm anyone physically" and "it's a bit silly but very frowned upon" sounds like someone trying to minimize sexual assault imo

like a louis ck kind of move

My bet is anime kiddy porn. "It's just drawings tee hee!" says OP.