Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Dante also decided to write his masterpiece in the style of Dream Vision, which was an early medieval style of poetry that featured a protagonist going on tours of bizarre landscapes populated with demigods and monsters. A lot of them were written using a technique that involved a monk adopting a very unusual sleep schedule and lots of prayer, with the ultimate result that the writer would end up writing at night in a sort of half-conscious lucid-dreaming trance state.

A similar technique was employed by Salvador Dali, which he called the Paranoiac-Critical Method. He would prop his head up on a table with a spoon holding up his chin, and as he drifted off to sleep he would experience hypnagogic imagery. Most of us have this when we drift off to sleep, but you usually forget it unless you are woken up right at that moment. As he fell asleep, he would lose balance and smack his head on the table, and the subconscious imagery was still fresh in his mind. That's how he painted, for instance:

"Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening"

NSFW artistic depiction of a naked lady:

Aphex Twin bought an old bank vault and filled it with synthesizers, and would compose music in there while lucid dreaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOevezlSwi8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Nebakenezzer posted:

twoday I learned from the pontifacts podcast that Dante's Divine Comedy is where we get all our visual ideas about heaven and hell

My mind is blown, that Doom 2016 can trace its influences back to Dante
And Dante was influenced by Virgil (describing Aeneas visiting the underworld), who was influenced by Homer (describing Ulysses visiting the underworld)...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Uranium posted:

And Dante was influenced by Virgil (describing Aeneas visiting the underworld), who was influenced by Homer (describing Ulysses visiting the underworld)...

Stop blowing my mind

twoday posted:

Dante also decided to write his masterpiece in the style of Dream Vision, which was an early medieval style of poetry that featured a protagonist going on tours of bizarre landscapes populated with demigods and monsters. A lot of them were written using a technique that involved a monk adopting a very unusual sleep schedule and lots of prayer, with the ultimate result that the writer would end up writing at night in a sort of half-conscious lucid-dreaming trance state.

STOP IT

it's not nice

I had no idea the early medievals were doing this, that's hella cool!

Once again it hits me like a swung salmon how aprops a tour of a bizarre landscape filled with gods and monsters is to current politics is

I also have to ask if recent impeachy events have inspired anything. Giant trench filled with Snakes and Alligators?

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Fun Fact: When Aeneas goes to the underworld of the dead to learn the destiny of the Trojans in Italy, he runs into Dido in a subterranean forest. She killed herself after he left Carthage, so she famously snubs him. Dante puts a spin on this by making the circle of hell for suicides a forest populated by trees which possess the tormented souls of the damned, and he makes Dido one of the trees.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Lol suicides are shunned because they escaped the hell that Capital has created for them and Capital's pissed about the loss of exploitable labor.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Stop blowing my mind

STOP IT

it's not nice

I had no idea the early medievals were doing this, that's hella cool!

Once again it hits me like a swung salmon how aprops a tour of a bizarre landscape filled with gods and monsters is to current politics is

I also have to ask if recent impeachy events have inspired anything. Giant trench filled with Snakes and Alligators?

OH!

My God!

You're right, this whole thing would be better if I framed it like a dream vision, I've been writing random poo poo without structure, this is brilliant

I still can't draw because of my wounds but this is a gamechanger

twoday
May 4, 2005

About snakes, one of the most important things I want to include is the snake poem trump likes to read

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

twoday posted:

You're right, this whole thing would be better if I framed it like a dream vision, I've been writing random poo poo without structure, this is brilliant

I still can't draw because of my wounds but this is a gamechanger

As always, friend, happy to help in this noble endeavor :tipshat:

Also what happened? Did I miss something ITT?

twoday posted:

About snakes, one of the most important things I want to include is the snake poem trump likes to read

gently caress, I've spent too much time in this timeline, I can't even tell if this is a joke or not

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

gently caress, I've spent too much time in this timeline, I can't even tell if this is a joke or not

lol it is indeed real. on the surface, trump is reading it as a warning against criminal immigrants, but perhaps subconsciously he knows it's really about him eating our faces

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

three tuprm moon

twoday
May 4, 2005

lol, these are great, amazing goat man too

What are you using? Brushes?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Thanks! I used a Pentel pocket brush pen for the lines, then washed with a traditional Chinese brush using ink and Crayola watercolors.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
It is entirely too flattering to the subject but your form and technique are exquisite. :discourse:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR8NeXbAZc4

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Now usually I learn about events ITT, but I must record here that this tweet everybody is pointing and laughing at, and it even surprised us hardened cynics in the cold war thread:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181232249821388801

It's the "great and unmatched wisdom" line

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Flavius Aetass posted:

three tuprm moon

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
three tprum mars

twoday
May 4, 2005

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Laffo at that last one, is that a real statement

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Nebakenezzer posted:

Laffo at that last one, is that a real statement

lol yep

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012

Are you ok?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yeah, why? I was testing out a Chinese calligraphy brush I found

twoday
May 4, 2005

I wanted to see how big the biggest "Trump" would be that could fit on the page and still be legible

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

redsniper posted:

Are you ok?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Are you guys upset with the way I spelled Trumdo?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

twoday posted:

Are you guys upset with the way I spelled Trumdo?

Are you able to do that Italian translator's face like you did Trump's or the leopard?

twoday
May 4, 2005

I won’t have access to my linocarving tools until November. Which Italian translator?

I wanted to make another Trump carving but was unable to because I was injured

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

This poor woman trying to translate Trump into English and then Italian:

https://twitter.com/MollyMcKew/status/1184544749644144643?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
This is a good book for you twoday

https://twitter.com/foxtosser/status/1184785613129687041?s=19

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
is there a term for that sort of art? i've been wondering that ever since looking at the cd sleeve for mellon collie and the infinite sadness

e: here's a cool article about the illustrator https://illustrationchronicles.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-and-the-Infinite-Talents-of-John-Craig

Flavius Aetass has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Oct 17, 2019

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Definitely gonna buy that book but it isn't out in Canada until February?

twoday
May 4, 2005

Flavius Aetass posted:

is there a term for that sort of art? i've been wondering that ever since looking at the cd sleeve for mellon collie and the infinite sadness

e: here's a cool article about the illustrator https://illustrationchronicles.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-and-the-Infinite-Talents-of-John-Craig

Cosmological? 19th century constellational? :confused:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Lutha Mahtin posted:

its like a renaissance painting

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/archillect/status/1187879083180515330?s=20

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
scream by van gogh should be the cover if it isn't too on the nose

twoday
May 4, 2005

Scream is by Edvard Munch, but the style is very Van Gogh-like so I understand the confusion

I was planning on using the Trump print as the cover

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

i forget but are you planning on getting it published somehow? it'd be cool if it was just like the moleskine or whatever with the red bookmark. id buy one

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yes, I publish it somehow, but there is still a ways to go. I’m not sure if it’s possible to get it printed with a bookmark, I will look into it once I am finished with it

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
https://hifructose.com/2017/07/12/the-strange-surreal-worlds-of-michael-hutter/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

twoday posted:

Yes, I publish it somehow, but there is still a ways to go. I’m not sure if it’s possible to get it printed with a bookmark, I will look into it once I am finished with it

at least get a quote for a leather/cloth bound copy with a red book mark. I would pay prob $200 for it and I bet several others would too.