Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lon...n-a4249051.html

Hundreds of protestors turning out against the prosecution of soldier F for doing the bloody sunday massacre. This country deserves Brexit.

quote:

Gavin Wragg, who organised the protest, described the prosecution as “one of the crimes of the century”.

:eyepop:

loving scum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rarity posted:

This is incorrect and assumptions like these are part of what pushes working class people towards the right. Working class people are involved in Labour from the ground to the PLP where you've got the likes of Diane Abbott, David Lammy and Laura Pidcock who all had working class upbringings.

I know you're talking upbringing, but it's pretty hard to argue David Lammy is working class when he's also a landlord

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kingturnip posted:

Can you get more centrist than looking at Macron - one of the least effective, most detested Presidents in recent French history - and thinking "Yeah, I wanna be that guy"?

One of the less effective, most detested ELECTED French presidents

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

Realistically if any important vote happens while the tories are off conferencing they'll come back in time to stop it (or in time to fail to stop it and make Johnson lose again)

Yeah the optics of sneaking something through while they're at conference are loving terrible and play directly into the "OVERTURNING DEMOCRACY" narrative that the press have been running with - and I suspect Bercow would probably look unkindly on it anyway, and would at least allow them enough time to get back to vote.

However keeping the Tories constantly on edge and glued to their phones all week waiting to dash south to defeat the Boris Johnson Must Get A Proper Haircut Bill can only stoke the tensions at what was already going to be a pretty loving febrile conference, which can only help the maneuvers over the next month.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sticking to what's been agreed while technically being able to bring surprise legislation also works to weaken arguments that Corbyn would do a big Stalin if he was caretaker PM

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

How comes you guys aren't getting all excited about hodge being up for reselection?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Lib Dems could block lowering the voting age to 16 in parliament, then campaign with a manifesto that says that will lower it and their supporters will just completely accept this abrupt change as "well they thought about it and changed their minds" rather than the crass opportunism it clearly is

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tarnop posted:

Sticking to what's been agreed while technically being able to bring surprise legislation also works to weaken arguments that Corbyn would do a big Stalin if he was caretaker PM

lol no it wouldn't. The only people pushing that line are already ignoring reality (including the rules that mean this can't happen EVEN IF Corbyn wanted to do it), so no amount of good will or evidence will convince them

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Miftan posted:

lol no it wouldn't. The only people pushing that line are already ignoring reality (including the rules that mean this can't happen EVEN IF Corbyn wanted to do it), so no amount of good will or evidence will convince them

My optimism :negative:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

notaspy posted:

How comes you guys aren't getting all excited about hodge being up for reselection?

Good reselect all of Labour, too many libs.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Eschenique posted:

Dr who? More like Dr wh...... Eh I don't know where I'm going with this.

You know what bothers me about British leftism? First deference to royalty. Because so much of the British working class still suffers severe Stockholm syndrome to "their betters". Left leaning parties can't tell the queen to get hosed and also hope to win elections.

Secondly. Almost all labour representatives are middle class. Labour politicians and activists are not miners or carpenters laborers. They're scions of lawyer families who one day went "screw you dad! I read Lenin and now I'm going to fight for the proletariat!"

Then they spent their unlimited trustfund funded free time to ponder the big ideas, make contacts at their high class schools and hobnobbing with other kids of influential families. Because regular workers have no chance to compete in a political environment like that in between working 40 hours a week to not die.

Yeah I know they're good people but the situation still kind of sucks.

On the first point, the queen is the physical manifestation of our withered national pride. Here is a nice philosophytube video about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2W7P3wGBI8
On the second point, clearing proles out of the party along with all that clause 4 nonsense was a big part of Blair's project. At a local level there's a lot more diversity.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

notaspy posted:

Because it made me look into when my local trigger ballot would be, and we're not getting one :mad:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

kingturnip posted:

Can you get more centrist than looking at Macron - one of the least effective, most detested Presidents in recent French history - and thinking "Yeah, I wanna be that guy"?

Because the reality isn't something that they want. What they want is for it to please please be the 90's again. And if they have to be hated by the hoi poloi for trying to drag things back 20 years then so be it!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Yeah centrists be like "man remember those days when we could just ignore the poors even existed? them were the days of sensible neoliberalism"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Who in their right mind looks at en marche and says 'hmm yes, success lies this way'
Admittedly it's refreshing seeing a tory swing that way, I'd have figured Chukka and new labour tendency would first.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Endjinneer posted:

On the first point, the queen is the physical manifestation of our withered national pride.
I think this will be a lot different under Charles.

There's something unsporting about going on the offensive against a 93 year old woman, that's the type of detail they put in headlines to highlight criminals as particularly despicable, so even though you're really attacking the system and her ridiculous privilege, people will always (often subconsciously) deflect that onto the person.

Charles is embedded into the national psyche as a dickwit though, and there'll be all the usual kerfuffle about Queen Camilla even if she opts to be Princess Consort. Plus changing the money and the national anthem for the first time in most of the country's life.

It'll be a good time to strike with arguments like

ThomasPaine posted:

One of the strongest natural proofs of the folly of hereditary right in kings is that nature disproves it, otherwise she would not so frequently turn it into ridicule, by giving mankind an rear end for a lion.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If there is ever going to be a "normal" time to get rid of the whole rotten system of monarchy it will be under Charles or when Williams inevitable affair comes out.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I know it's more or less impossible because of the succession line but I really would like to see Meghan become Queen somehow and watch as gammon brains literally implode

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Queen Meg, the King Ralph sequel we've all been waiting for

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1178021100556619780?s=21

My word, Corbyn is feisty this evening.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

There's something unsporting about going on the offensive against a 93 year old woman, that's the type of detail they put in headlines to highlight criminals as particularly despicable, so even though you're really attacking the system and her ridiculous privilege, people will always (often subconsciously) deflect that onto the person.

Charles is embedded into the national psyche as a dickwit though, and there'll be all the usual kerfuffle about Queen Camilla even if she opts to be Princess Consort. Plus changing the money and the national anthem for the first time in most of the country's life.

That's a good point actually, I think most people tune out the physical person of the Queen when they look at money/stamps. Having Charles' face on their will be jarring, and might jar more people into republicanism just because they're noticing it for the first time, and realise the silly human guy they've seen on telly is now on the money.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Meghan's kid could become king, if the queen, charles, william and his children all decided to convert to catholicism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

That's a good point actually, I think most people tune out the physical person of the Queen when they look at money/stamps. Having Charles' face on their will be jarring, and might jar more people into republicanism just because they're noticing it for the first time, and realise the silly human guy they've seen on telly is now on the money.
Also he'll probably be King George VII, which will underline the silliness of the whole thing.

Nobody freaked out when Jorge Bergoglio became Pope Francis, because nobody gave a poo poo who Jorge Bergoglio was outside of obsessive church followers, and people went "ok, guess that's how popes work" but everyone knows who Charlie is and having him be King George when George is the royal bab will throw people off balance.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Boris Johnson is deliberately whipping up fears of riots and deaths so he can try to invoke emergency powers and avoid extending the UK’s EU membership beyond 31 October, Labour’s Brexit spokesman, Keir Starmer, claimed on Saturday.

what the gently caress

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

You know, I actually kind of wonder how true this is these days. There's a legacy of Charles being detested for all the poo poo with Camilla and Diana and such, but I've not really seen any of that in a long time, there was that big hullabaloo about the spider memos a few years ago that had this massive buildup and then just fizzled in place when released. I wonder how much younger people are going to see him as a dickwit vs being an old man who talks about climate change a lot.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
why did literally every single one of you vote for pm boris

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lol MI6 nonce

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Reveilled posted:

You know, I actually kind of wonder how true this is these days. There's a legacy of Charles being detested for all the poo poo with Camilla and Diana and such, but I've not really seen any of that in a long time, there was that big hullabaloo about the spider memos a few years ago that had this massive buildup and then just fizzled in place when released. I wonder how much younger people are going to see him as a dickwit vs being an old man who talks about climate change a lot.
Are the younger people going to want a monarch at all though? They're usually the ones most heavily republican when surveyed.

So you'd have a split between "Charles is a dick and shouldn't be king" and "Charles isn't bad but there shouldn't be kings" which is a good thing to promote either way.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

bantz

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Liz also fought the actual nazis so she gets a pass for the rest of her life. Before breaking out the guillotines.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

what the gently caress

This has been the wet dream of multiple gammons since at least the Benn Act passed. I wouldn't put it past CumDom's giant brain to have latched onto it.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Are the younger people going to want a monarch at all though? They're usually the ones most heavily republican when surveyed.

So you'd have a split between "Charles is a dick and shouldn't be king" and "Charles isn't bad but there shouldn't be kings" which is a good thing to promote either way.

As soon as we abolish the monarchy though, we'll be straight into the plot of various Watch novels, complete with people saying how much better it was when we had kings. And maybe a dragon.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Conference off to a good start:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2019/09/28/boris-johnson-arrives-at-tory-party-conference-facing-a-series-of-challenges/

quote:

“Boris is a liar” and “get your Johnson out of our democracy” were among the slogans chanted by the demonstrators.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He was funny on HIGNFY. Also I'm a povvo so I recognise my betters and bow before them.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I need slogans for signs protesting the Tory party conference, any suggestions?

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
"I was saying Boo-ris"

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol MI6 nonce

I know the MI6 thing but, que?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This has been the wet dream of multiple gammons since at least the Benn Act passed. I wouldn't put it past CumDom's giant brain to have latched onto it.

it's just weird to see it in in a serious quotation of a serious brexit person, and to find out it's actually credible. how swift has been your nation's descent from the lofty heights of cameron's day

..is, i imagine, the intended takeaway from cameron's recently published autofellatio.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Gort posted:

I need slogans for signs protesting the Tory party conference, any suggestions?

"Not one of you has dissproven Beven" and "Repent Sinners" are always good fun!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

I mean, hopefully, but "Charles isn't bad but there shouldn't be kings" is pretty much the situation we have on the left now with Elizabeth, and I think there's going to end up being a very large contingent who are more in the vein of "I don't really give a poo poo, and at least this guy agrees with me".

That doesn't mean pushing to end the monarchy is pointless by any means, but I do think Charles will dent the monarchy's credibility as an institution a lot less today than it would have, say, fifteen years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Sisyphus' Brexit