Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Who cares? It's not like they're breaking into your house to yell at you about it. It's pretty easy to ignore someone being a turd online, and you definitely just broadened it way beyond that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

these fourteen year olds on tumblr are worthy of my ire for being overly excited about the realization that they can just read a character as gay

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Who cares? It's not like they're breaking into your house to yell at you about it. It's pretty easy to ignore someone being a turd online, and you definitely just broadened it way beyond that too.

I'm happy to drop it now. It was included as part of why I wouldn't think a writer saying a particular character they wrote isn't gay, though, and I do have my reasons for caring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Granted, I'm also annoyed with a certain subset of fandom being "ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE GAY AND/OR TRANS. ALL OF THEM!" so there's that too.

Same here, only swap out gay/trans with dead the whole time/it was all a dream actually because someone got hit with a baseball and in their head people and tomatoes are about as durable as each other.

Endorph posted:

these fourteen year olds on tumblr are worthy of my ire for being overly excited about the realization that they can just read a character as gay

God I miss tumblr. There were so many shitposts and I was a master at Mr. Magooing my way through all the drama and never catching it because without a homepage everyone looks at I have no idea what's happening.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I mean a particular head canon type, though. The sort that is very loud about "This sweet little cinnamon bun is gay, and if you think otherwise you're HOMOPHOBIC" type about their head canons.

What does the 2nd part of that statement even have to do with what you said before? That part isn't even a head canon.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Even with it being false, if it was true, depending on how it's said, I also wouldn't see "I didn't write that character as being gay" as being not progressive, when it's a series with representation elsewhere. I'm all for death of the author and all, but also wouldn't see a problem with them outright saying they didn't intend for one particular character to be gay.

Granted, I'm also annoyed with a certain subset of fandom being "ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE GAY AND/OR TRANS. ALL OF THEM!" so there's that too.
I mean, it's hard for the characters to be anything other than gay when there are no* men in the setting

* like three

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

I'm not sure that's quite how things work

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

I mean, it's hard for the characters to be anything other than gay when there are no* men in the setting

* like three
I kind of dislike this read. Men obviously exist in touhou, you see them in background shots and there's occasional incidental male characters. It's just that they aren't really important to the stories being told. That's much more interesting than them just not existing or w/e. one is 'the setting is filled with powerful and important women' the other is 'women have all the power because men don't exist.'

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

obviously they can also be bi, ace, or just eternally unable to find romance, but it should be obvious why the fandom leans toward f/f pairings, and in turn the popularity of f/f pairings means that the characters themselves are seen as being gay

Endorph posted:

I kind of dislike this read. Men obviously exist in touhou, you see them in background shots and there's occasional incidental male characters. It's just that they aren't really important to the stories being told. That's much more interesting than them just not existing or w/e. one is 'the setting is filled with powerful and important women' the other is 'women have all the power because men don't exist.'
"Canon" is a better word than "setting"; I didn't mean to imply that men literally don't exist in Gensokyo. Unrelated: which two characters are married?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I get where angryrobot is coming from, theres definitely subcommunities who go at peoples throats for not having the right head canon and posture it as being woke or whatever. Idc if someone is just goofing around about asserting it though. But it's weird when people dont have the self awareness to realize their fan theories arent universally accepted.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

On the flip side people who need to go "actually that's not canon" all the time also suck

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If you mean the crazy obsessed Supernatural fans, just say that you meant the crazy obsessed Supernatural fans.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I get where angryrobot is coming from, theres definitely subcommunities who go at peoples throats for not having the right head canon and posture it as being woke or whatever. Idc if someone is just goofing around about asserting it though. But it's weird when people dont have the self awareness to realize their fan theories arent universally accepted.

That's definitely not his intent given the bit about cinnamon rolls so maybe we should save the convo you're aiming at for another time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh idk then, that's the vibe I got. Didnt seem worth jumping down his throat over.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

what's the best atelier on pc if I'm only gonna play one...

I'm really enjoying grandia 2 again with this mod.. I didn't realize the game added new conversations at every individual inn after every major plot event.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

I'm really enjoying grandia 2 again with this mod.. I didn't realize the game added new conversations at every individual inn after every major plot event.

Wait for the pc port of ayesha.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Anyway obvs i dont agree with actively going after people for disagreing but at the same time this stuff can be really important to people. And obviously people do go after people just for disagreeing but the far more common interaction is my experience is someone drawing characters being gay or trans or whatever and then someone getting in their face about it not being canon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Anyway obvs i dont agree with actively going after people for disagreing but at the same time this stuff can be really important to people. And obviously people do go after people just for disagreeing but the far more common interaction is my experience is someone drawing characters being gay or trans or whatever and then someone getting in their face about it not being canon.

Seems really down to what kind of communities you're exposed to. I agree that your example is way more common though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

while there are plenty of good ones Escha & Logy, which is coming in a few months, is generally the one I hear most often as both a starting point and a suggestion for "if you must play one...". while waiting on that maybe try Rorona at your own pace, with no expectation that you'll get great endings on your first playthrough.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
In summary, it's generally bad to millitantly force your viewpoint on other people.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Ryza is on the last week of October

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

thank u all

melfice's laughing is my favorite idle action of all time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah but Samus is still trans tho

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but Samus is still trans tho

i dont like this one because the sparkpoint is some random metroid guy making a lovely joke and samus is a character who is almost completely divorced from her gender in a way that is kind of interesting (except in the bad game) neither of which make this angle very interesting or engaging to me, imo.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
I like the one where Samus acts like a bird cuz she lived with birds

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i like the samus in the early metroid 4komas where she just routinely lives as a morph ball because round

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Mercedes von Martritz from the video game Fire Emblem Three Houses for the Nintendo Switch entertainment system is trans.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Merilan posted:

i like the samus in the early metroid 4komas where she just routinely lives as a morph ball because round

those gag mangas are funnier than any 90s video game gag manga has a right to be tbh

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

The Colonel posted:

those gag mangas are funnier than any 90s video game gag manga has a right to be tbh

yeah i loved them quite a lot

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Mercedes von Martritz from the video game Fire Emblem Three Houses for the Nintendo Switch entertainment system is trans.

hell yeah

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

i dont like this one because the sparkpoint is some random metroid guy making a lovely joke and samus is a character who is almost completely divorced from her gender in a way that is kind of interesting (except in the bad game) neither of which make this angle very interesting or engaging to me, imo.

There's something kinda ehhhhhh about people always singling out the character who conforms to gender roles the least for trans readings. Like I get that it often comes from trans perspectives instead of a malicious place, but there's a pattern here.

Junpei Hyde posted:

See this is strong.

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 29, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Nevermind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the best atelier game on pc is waiting for one of them to drop in a steam sale to $20. it never happens so i never get one

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ive not played DQ9 or 10, but thanks DQ11 for fixing the abominably stupid fundamental design decisions of DQ8's skill system. Youre still not how Id make a skill system but now its just an issue of taste

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So... what was VIII's skill system?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
From what I remember on the PS2, it didn't tell you how many skill points were needed to attain the next skill, and you had no way to respec. Also instead of a grid or whatever every character just had five linear trees. It was extremely easy to sink points into a bad option and then you're never getting those skill points back. Also Angelo had bad skill growth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah 8 didn’t tell you what skills you where getting and there wasn’t any cross tree synergy so if you picked one that sucked or you didn’t like then you just wasted those points

Barudak
May 7, 2007

1) You dont know how many points you need to get to the next thing
2) You dont know what the next thing even is youre progressing to
3) Weapon trees have no synergy when not using that weapon
4) Skills you get arent equivalent across trees and some trees are just flat better than others with no indication
5) You get enough points for around 1.5 skill trees out of like 4 or 5
6) You cant respec

Its disproportionately beneficial if you do it right, punishes dabbling severely, doesnt bother to make things equivalent especially regarding weapon selection, and allows no respeccing. It basically exists to either make you feel crummy or read a strategy guide.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Sakurazuka posted:

The beach music was also peak Sakuraba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hwKhUE6YY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

all of the touhous are gay and/or trans.

Except the creepy moon jerks who married each others sons. And okay reading that maybe they are gay but really loving weird and closeted about it.

The moon jerks are the worst.

Edit: Clarifying this doesn't really come up in Touhou, but they're mythological figures who did that in their story.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 29, 2019