Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Tricare Reserves has the ~$210/mo premium, and some kind of cost-sharing or copay structure each time you are seen or treated.

After you've paid up to your family cost-sharing cap for the year which is something like $1100, you don't come further out of pocket for anything but monthly premiums. We've hit this cap about 2/3 of the way through the year, every year since I've been a reservist. So our max annual medical expenses are something like ballpark $3600 and as much as I dislike the inconvenience of still technically being a sailor, I expect that will be tough to beat in a private plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Gray Matter posted:

Tricare Reserves has the ~$210/mo premium, and some kind of cost-sharing or copay structure each time you are seen or treated.

After you've paid up to your family cost-sharing cap for the year which is something like $1100, you don't come further out of pocket for anything but monthly premiums. We've hit this cap about 2/3 of the way through the year, every year since I've been a reservist. So our max annual medical expenses are something like ballpark $3600 and as much as I dislike the inconvenience of still technically being a sailor, I expect that will be tough to beat in a private plan.

I took a look at the Tricare reserve select plan and I do think it will be hard to beat that with most plans. It seems reasonable to think your total cost with a good employer provided coverage would be 3-5k more a year. But if you land a job as a SWE making 150+, then I would imagine shelling out 2-3k extra year would be more than worthwhile to get the 10% of your life back from the Navy. Although I have never been in the reserves, so I don't know how cheesy/easy it is, but I like having long hair and the occasional edible, so no reserves experience for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The va isn’t the best, but i appreciate that i have free healthcare. I wish everyone had as little worry about medical costs that I do.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

The va isn’t the best, but i appreciate that i have free healthcare. I wish everyone had as little worry about medical costs that I do.

Same

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://blog.usni.org/posts/2019/09/26/manimal-farm-a-scene-out-of-the-famous-orwell-book-revisited

Article posted:

The next day, each of the commanders went back to speak to their crews.

At each command, the commander stepped to the podium to address his crew with only a small catch in his throat and staring slightly above their heads so as not to catch their eye. He started his commanders call:

“We don’t have a manning problem .”

“Any questions”?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Cordle, who was the Reactor Officer onboard the Bush when I was there for commissioning was just about the best officer I think I ever had in my chain of command. I have tons of respect for that guy. The Rx department goat locker certainly hated him though; he was "ruining the Navy" and "Not letting Chiefs run their divisions like they should be". We had this rotational staffing schedule for our commissioning, at his insistence, instead of being stuck in 3 or 4 day duty rotation. Of course being on shift work was kind of a drag, but for 18 months there were no duty days and at least one 4 day weekend a month. He was always looking out for us where he could. Unfortunately that just made the goat locker try twice as hard to gently caress us, but those are the breaks!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Captain Cordle, who was the Reactor Officer onboard the Bush when I was there for commissioning was just about the best officer I think I ever had in my chain of command. I have tons of respect for that guy. The Rx department goat locker certainly hated him though; he was "ruining the Navy" and "Not letting Chiefs run their divisions like they should be". We had this rotational staffing schedule for our commissioning, at his insistence, instead of being stuck in 3 or 4 day duty rotation. Of course being on shift work was kind of a drag, but for 18 months there were no duty days and at least one 4 day weekend a month. He was always looking out for us where he could. Unfortunately that just made the goat locker try twice as hard to gently caress us, but those are the breaks!

That sounds awesome and imagine takes a huge set of brass balls in that political climate.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/BDHerzinger/status/1178576439479808006?s=19

Good Navy leadership on display

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol some admiral with a tiny baby dick is seeing red right now from their hurt fee fees

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Can I maybe get a PM link to the discord I’ve heard about? Things are looking more probable that I’m gonna have to learn about the whole DES, med board, and sep board process many years before I had planned.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Can I maybe get a PM link to the discord I’ve heard about? Things are looking more probable that I’m gonna have to learn about the whole DES, med board, and sep board process many years before I had planned.

I posted in the discord chat but I'm on mobile and can't send the invite link. Someone should reach out soon to get you setup c

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I posted in the discord chat but I'm on mobile and can't send the invite link. Someone should reach out soon to get you setup c

Thanks bud

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Sent you a PM

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

all y’all

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/USNavy/status/1179112501847482368?s=19

Makes me think of the SHs down in crew's barbershop who's plan was to get licensed and open his own barbershop. Hope that dude was able to follow his dream

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Yesssss, I heard about this when my CHENG who had no billeted top snipe nor any division officers came back from a call with a characteristic cynical grin and a head shake.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Makes me think of the SHs down in crew's barbershop who's plan was to get licensed and open his own barbershop. Hope that dude was able to follow his dream

Can I get the barista NEC in my contract?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

This kinda sounds like a downgrade.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Speaking of which, you should appreciate this: as of yesterday, Hawkeye NFOs are now titled "Air Battle Managers". We previously didn't have a special term like WSO for Hornets or EWO for Growlers and that was clearly a huge problem that needed to be fixed. Now those fighter pilots are sure to respect us! :downs:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Godholio posted:

Yeah “retail” in it is bad but so is “SS” by itself.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
“The rating name change is in keeping with the Navy’s tradition of defining a Sailor’s occupation in contemporary terms in order to better illustrate the skills needed to perform their work.”

Waiting for the new rates: “Water Sweeping Technician” and “Paintologist”

e: on the O side flag staff tours gain new P-codes for “Coffee fetch technician” and “quad-chart administrator”

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 3, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Crap. All reservists are going to have (useless) tacked on to our perspective rates at this... rate.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Still not sure who worked in the Starboxer, never got anything there. Guessing it was them as well? Or undesignated

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
In a bunker on a desert island in Arlington, Virginia

quote:

You gonna get uppity when we get rid of ratings huh? You'll wish that's what we did!

The camera pans out to show a table full of HR Officers and NC Master Chiefs cackling maniacally as they fill brag sheets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Speaking of which, you should appreciate this: as of yesterday, Hawkeye NFOs are now titled "Air Battle Managers". We previously didn't have a special term like WSO for Hornets or EWO for Growlers and that was clearly a huge problem that needed to be fixed. Now those fighter pilots are sure to respect us! :downs:

:stare: I'm going to have to ask our exchange Hawkeye NFO ABM about this.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Isn't this just copying the Air Force though? That makes it especially shameful.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
FCA's are a reserve rate now.

Maybe I'll try and get rated back to Aegis land, but if there's more than like, one page of paperwork I probably wont.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

Isn't this just copying the Air Force though? That makes it especially shameful.

Yes, very much so.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Is it written somewhere? I kinda just want to print it out and hang it over his desk.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
It's spelled out in the new version of the wing training instruction that defines the different aircrew qualification levels. I doubt it's been publicized much outside of fleet squadrons, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't heard of it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never looked forward to showing up to work Monday more in my life.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

NOSC is cracking down on IDT reschedule requests. They're now apparently being categorically denied without a Navy-related justification, where before they didn't give a poo poo and almost always approved them.

Small fries compared to the problems faced on AD, but still a nice little reminder why "gently caress you if you're still in" is a thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Oh well I just put in for a bunch of them due to my unit not being on the same schedule. Yes my UIC are all correct.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

NOSC is cracking down on IDT reschedule requests. They're now apparently being categorically denied without a Navy-related justification, where before they didn't give a poo poo and almost always approved them.

Small fries compared to the problems faced on AD, but still a nice little reminder why "gently caress you if you're still in" is a thing.

I am so happy I am only 6 months left on my contract and a replacement for me is already in the works

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gray Matter posted:

Ours did that last year but I still approve everything that comes my way and no one gives a poo poo.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Gray Matter posted:

loving asinine. Why do they care how you or your unit do work?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Back from "deployment". I feel like we owe the American taxpayer a huge explanation and loving apology.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Back from "deployment". I feel like we owe the American taxpayer a huge explanation and loving apology.

Thank you for your service, shipmate

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I feel like we owe the American taxpayer a huge explanation and loving apology.
Reserves.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

maffew buildings posted:

I spent three years on an amphib as Combat Cargo. Six months out of the year I was home by lunch and that was after working out for an hour. I almost felt bad about how little work I was actually doing until I thought about how many times I'd been hosed over in the previous 15 years.