Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Rigel posted:

lol, this is silly.

His scope was narrowly defined to the Russia election interference issue and anything suggesting Trump was a part of this. There have been multiple times he said "oh, I may have found an unrelated crime, hey you guys in this other department start investigating this." And at least once it was reported he saw something he thought was related to his probe and his bosses said "nope it isn't yoink, we'll take that one and look into it."

I think the bigger thing there is Barr was specifically brought on to stonewall any further investigation and to whitewash any remaining loose ends

Trump hated Mueller way too much to secretly be working with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1178083359744036865

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I didn’t expect for them to try and pivot to Hillary but I guess that’s on me for underestimating how dumb he is.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lock em both up i dont give a gently caress.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

lol, this is silly.

His scope was narrowly defined to the Russia election interference issue and anything suggesting Trump was a part of this. There have been multiple times he said "oh, I may have found an unrelated crime, hey you guys in this other department start investigating this." And at least once it was reported he saw something he thought was related to his probe and his bosses said "nope it isn't yoink, we'll take that one and look into it."

Groovelord Neato posted:

trump wasn't a lonely muslim young man he could entrap so mueller was at a loss as to what to do.

core competencies, baby

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dear God, they’re really only going for “whataboutism” as their only line of defense. This must really be it, they know they’re guilty as gently caress. :stare:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There was an article with a picture of CNN's Jake Tapper underneath the ad for ammunition.

Which pretty obviously wasn't part of the ad.

Breitbart's editors aren't vetting what goes there, like they would in print media. That's not how online advertising works. They just offer up a chunk of their site on a network of automated bidding platforms to whoever is willing to pay for it. The Trump themed novelty people got it this time. Refresh the page, and it'd probably come up as a goldbug scam, or a "top gut doctor says" bit of quackery, or "refinance your mortgage."

It's incredibly stupid to begin with, and the idea of supporting someone by carving their name into a round of ammunition is the cherry on top of the stupid sundae, but nobody's trying to send any kind of message.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

I remember going over this a little while back! It's a nothing burger of an article.

VideoGameVet posted:

I find that playing by the rules kinda fails with chuds.

They can react however they'd like, it's just the conclusion I have come to for myself!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Wait, so they are investigating Hillary's emails by questioning people, but they already know the super secret server is in Ukraine?

Idgi. Even for stupid deep state poo poo it makes no sense :psyduck:

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

King of Foolians posted:

So according to the call transcript, Trump thinks that Biden at one time openly bragged about how he withheld aid to the Ukraine to get them to dismiss a prosecutor investigating his son. And proof of this is the dirt Trump thinks the Ukraine/Zelenskyy can deliver on Biden.
I know the Biden connection has mostly been completely debunked but has it been discussed where Trump got the idea about it? Did someone post a Qanon conspiracy video on YouTube that he saw and took as gospel?

It's very interesting. Why is Trump so obsessed with Ukraine? I remember this article that talked about it:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/09/27/giuliani-trump-ukraine-005098

quote:

"The scandal unfolding this week in Washington can be traced back to November, when a private investigator approached Rudy Giuliani claiming to have information about Ukrainian interference in the 2016 election, according to an account provided by the former New York mayor.

Giuliani declined to give POLITICO the name of the investigator but said he was an American citizen, the head of “a very, very large investigative agency,” and a former colleague of Giuliani’s at the U.S. attorney’s office in the Southern District of New York. Giuliani said the investigator approached him on behalf of a client who wanted to relay damning allegations he had heard. "

So the article talks a lot about various factions in Ukraine but it mentions these two:

quote:

Two Florida businessmen from the former Soviet Union, Igor Fruman and Lev Parnas,

and implies that they might have connected Giuliani with Shokin, the fired prosecutor in Ukraine (that Biden got fired) AND Lutsenko, the prosecutor that replaced him, in an attempt to get Yovanovitch, our ambassador to Ukraine fired:

quote:

Around the same time, according to people familiar with the effort, the Ukrainian prosecutors, including Shokin and Lutsenko, were reaching out to U.S. officials, trying to pass them information that they said instead pointed to Ukrainian meddling on behalf of Hillary Clinton.

So it's all pretty involved, but it seems like Ukrainian factions (some of course with Russian connections) went to Trump and the administration with tales of Hillary and Biden malfeasance in Ukraine, were mostly rebuffed, but got screwy Rudy on board with it, who then fed the info to Trump who bought into it completely, leading to Trump firing the current ambassador, getting many of the top administration officials involved with it in various ways, and then bringing it all up on the phone directly with Zelenskyy.

Zelenskyy is a comic actor which is great because this is about the funniest political situation imaginable for this guy to get stuck in.

Some of this also ties back to Paul Manafort, I remember another article that said some of Rudy's Ukraine investigations were to try to find info to exonerate Manafort. You would think who cares about Manafort, but he might have information Trump doesn't want coming out if Manfort doesn't think Trump is remembering him.

Trump also brought up THE SERVER and that it might be in Ukraine, and that's a little harder to figure out. I would imagine it's part of the Rudy investigations but who knows? I found this article about it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...c36f_story.html

and it mentions:

quote:

Ukraine and Russia have been bitter foes since Russia’s 2014 military intervention and annexation of Crimea. Unsubstantiated conspiracy theories about a purported Ukrainian link to the DNC hack began circulating almost immediately after it was discovered.

Some propagated by Russian media and online included mention of a supposed “hidden DNC server,” which acolytes of the Republican political operative Roger Stone picked up and circulated.

so maybe a Roger Stone connection? But I think what's interesting is that people wondered if right wing leadership was falling victim to its own fake news, and here is the ultimate example: Trump apparently bit on some real obvious fake news/disinfo, ran with it, and is hopefully bringing down his entire administration over it. He could have had the intelligence agencies check it out, but he doesn't trust them. He could have listened to the I'm sure dozen people in the White House that told him not to talk about it on the phone call. He trusts Rudy and loving Roger Stone apparently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cr0y posted:

Except we've already done this runaround and nothing major was found.

Trump's just being a cornered rat.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Except we've already done this runaround and nothing major was found.

Trump's just being a cornered rat.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1178084042689929216

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it makes some sense in that Hillary Clinton is apparently supermegahitlermark2 to a portion of Trump's base and attacking her is the best way to energize them.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

RasperFat posted:

Lol if you’re still in denial that Mueller was tanking the investigation into Trump.

There’s been obvious, out in the open criming multiple times a week from Trump.

Mueller spent 2 full years “investigating” and refused to give any direct quotes about Trump being a criminal.

Less than a week into impeachment investigations starting, and even more super obvious Russia collusion poo poo comes out.

Mueller needs to be subpoenaed and possibly face trial for corruption/obstructing justice himself.

It's just so... loving embarrassing. I mean yes, the Democrats could have impeached just off the Mueller investigation (not to mention a million other things) or deployed a better strategy regarding it but to have a whistleblower and a bunch of reporters show just how badly you dropped the ball when you were praised up and down by everyone as being patriotic and dutiful is just... He was so hostile during his testimony, would refuse to answer questions, and his report was ultimately "Welp, we got obstructed! Oh well! The REAL problem is the Russians are all up in our elections!" Like how can anyone argue that these people have their poo poo together or that the FBI are The Best of The Best?

thin blue whine fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 29, 2019

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Rigel posted:

lol, this is silly.

It’s so silly that Mueller hamstrung himself by refusing to look into any Trump financials.

It’s incredibly silly that he never pushed for Trump to have to actually be interviewed, letting his lawyers submit written responses instead.

It’s unbelievably silly that Mueller “stayed above politics” by refusing to give clear and concise answers about Trump’s criminal activity.

It’s just a silly, silly world. And I’m such a silly person for thinking this career authoritarian with a history of protecting Republican presidents from consequences of their crimes could possibly have protected an authoritarian Republican President again.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
A Former ICE Chief Melts Down
slate.com/Sept 27, 2019
"Thomas Homan, like the agency he led, rejects any limits on his power.

Thomas Homan, the Trump administration’s acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement from January 2017 to June 2018, helped to transform the agency into an arm of Donald Trump’s nativist agenda. During his 17 months, ICE escalated its terror tactics against immigrant communities, tormented thousands of individuals in ICE custody, and lied to federal courts. On Thursday, asked to answer for his agency’s conduct and policies in a congressional hearing, he responded with a meltdown that perfectly captured a lawless organization’s rejection of any rules or authority that might limit its power."

Hunter Biden’s Perfectly Legal, Socially Acceptable Corruption
theatlantic.com/Sep 27, 2019
"Donald Trump committed an impeachable offense, but prominent Americans also shouldn’t be leveraging their names for payoffs from shady clients abroad."

Tesla violated labor laws by blocking union organizing, judge rules
cnbc.com/Sep 27 2019
"Administrative Law Judge Amita Baman Tracy found that CEO Elon Musk violated national labor laws when he implied via tweet that Tesla workers who unionized would have to give up their company stock options."

All college students should take a mandatory course on black history and white privilege
usatoday.com/Sept. 23, 2019

Facebook Is Making Millions by Promoting Hate Groups’ Content
sludge.com/Sep 25, 2019
"Despite a company policy banning hate speech, the social media giant has taken in nearly $1.6 million from hate groups since mid-2018."

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

It's just an ad for a very, very poorly thought out Trump- and gun-themed collectible.

Breitbart has not turned on Trump, and they're not threatening him. The people who sell Trump themed novelties probably thought they had a sure winner with the combination of "Trump", "guns", and "45", and were too dumb to think through all the implications. That's all.

Yeah probably. I just still, even now after witnessing the last 4 years or so, have difficulty even conceptualising that people really can be that dumb. Because a bullet with someone's name on it is such a universally recognised implication I just don't even know anymore.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Except Clinton isn’t in government anymore. Who gives a poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yep, and nothing major will be found. If the GOP had anything the last time around to use, they would've used it.

Trump's State Department is so inept, I doubt if they found something they'd know what to do with it.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1178069999065468928?s=20

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

RasperFat posted:

It’s so silly that Mueller hamstrung himself by refusing to look into any Trump financials.

It’s incredibly silly that he never pushed for Trump to have to actually be interviewed, letting his lawyers submit written responses instead.

It’s unbelievably silly that Mueller “stayed above politics” by refusing to give clear and concise answers about Trump’s criminal activity.

It’s just a silly, silly world. And I’m such a silly person for thinking this career authoritarian with a history of protecting Republican presidents from consequences of their crimes could possibly have protected an authoritarian Republican President again.

Yes, exactly this.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Rigel posted:

lol, this is silly.

tell me more about what happened. Did they just not investigate the things that mueller uncovered?

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

CommieGIR posted:

Yep, and nothing major will be found. If the GOP had anything the last time around to use, they would've used it.

Trump's State Department is so inept, I doubt if they found something they'd know what to do with it.

At this point, with Hillary irrelevant to any upcoming election, I think it's pretty clear the goal isn't to actually find anything.

The goal seems to be to keep the base energized and "whatabouted" such that they either don't notice or willingly ignore the obvious crimes of the current administration, since "they're just as bad but they don't fight for people like me"!

It makes the base accepting of GOP crimes and, frankly, it seems to work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mueller made it clear in his report that he would have had to fight for awhile in court to get access to Trump himself for an interview or to get Trump’s financials and he was unwilling to do that

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Rabble posted:

Except Clinton isn’t in government anymore. Who gives a poo poo.

DEEEEEEEEEP STATE!

Agitating and grifting the base. At the same time. It's their one talent.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

With a near-constant torrent of crimes coming out daily, Yertle remaining silent and even Barr seeming to distance himself, I'm not convinced the whataboutism is going to work. When even Chuck Todd is fighting back against attempts at gaslighting, I think they're losing the narrative. They've had four days to come out swinging against these allegations, and they haven't done much except send out useful idiots like Nunes.

But....it's fairly early yet.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

With a near-constant torrent of crimes coming out daily, Yertle remaining silent and even Barr seeming to distance himself, I'm not convinced the whataboutism is going to work. When even Chuck Todd is fighting back against attempts at gaslighting, I think they're losing the narrative. They've had four days to come out swinging against these allegations, and they haven't done much except send out useful idiots like Nunes.

But....it's fairly early yet.

Which is part of the reason I think the Dems want to move quickly. There were long periods in the Mueller probe where it was quiet and they were able to hammer home their narrative. Right now they're back on their heels and unsure what to do. Don't give them time to breathe and regroup.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cr0y posted:

this isn’t even really about trying to take another run at Hillary it’s about harassing career diplomats out of their jobs

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Exactly, they are trying to purge state department of people that won't bow to fuhrer, and another Hillary investigation is an easy way to.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It’s currently Saturday night. And Saturday night’s alright for massacres.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ripoff posted:

Dear God, they’re really only going for “whataboutism” as their only line of defense. This must really be it, they know they’re guilty as gently caress. :stare:

That's been their only move for the last 2 years, it's never "We are right" it's "dems did it too" which is often inaccurate or accurate only on a technicality

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Mahoning posted:

It’s currently Saturday night. And Saturday night’s alright for massacres.

I’m not sure who he can even fire that would in his demented mind make this go away. His best and only option feels like just throwing someone like Rudy under the bus as some rogue agent but he loves Rudy because he’s just as big of a moronic loving turd as he is.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
why would the republicans need to defend themselves

the chuds are still coming out in force and going to vote for them again

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CommieGIR posted:

I mean part of his problem is that it's not the Trump State Department, it's the disemboweled and ignored remnants of the pre-Trump State Department

which is horrible on most levels, but in terms of him being effective in this sort of thing? probably for the best

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

If all they have is Trumps base then they get absolutely demolished HTH.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gamerofthegame posted:

are you really nothingmattersing this week of all weeks

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

evilweasel posted:

this isn’t even really about trying to take another run at Hillary it’s about harassing career diplomats out of their jobs

this is probably a more accurate take and it makes me real mad

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cactus posted:

Yeah probably. I just still, even now after witnessing the last 4 years or so, have difficulty even conceptualising that people really can be that dumb. Because a bullet with someone's name on it is such a universally recognised implication I just don't even know anymore.

I mean the same people use the phrase "a few bad apples" to excuse police misconduct without a shred of irony.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’m not sure who he can even fire that would in his demented mind make this go away. His best and only option feels like just throwing someone like Rudy under the bus as some rogue agent but he loves Rudy because he’s just as big of a moronic loving turd as he is.

I still have the feeling something is gonna go down with Bill Barr. Either he quits or Trump fires him or something weird happens to throw this whole situation into even more of a tale spin.

https://twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1178101690085457920?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

What’s the context of that Biden clip? About the aid and the prosecutor thing?