Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Celexi posted:

From my stay in California so far, its easy to blame landlords, and lets be honest most of them should be run through the guillotine. But, the main issue I see is that California has the single family home mentality that will be extremely hard to get rid of, and with that comes a bunch of people that will also block new housing as their houses would lose their value.

They all want to solve the issue, "just not near my house thank you".

Hmmm, we should invent a word for that. Maybe someone from San Francisco can help us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Celexi posted:

From my stay in California so far, its easy to blame landlords, and lets be honest most of them should be run through the guillotine. But, the main issue I see is that California has the single family home mentality that will be extremely hard to get rid of, and with that comes a bunch of people that will also block new housing as their houses would lose their value.

They all want to solve the issue, "just not near my house thank you".

Well, yeah, it's a bunch of fuckin' people sitting around thinking, going hmmm, there has to be some solution to this problem... we just need to innovate, if only there was some way we could fix this...

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Fly Molo posted:

Well, yeah, it's a bunch of fuckin' people sitting around thinking, going hmmm, there has to be some solution to this problem... we just need to innovate, if only there was some way we could fix this...

If only one could build high density tall buildings that have housing on them and business at ground level, they could even have underground parking, imagine something so disruptive!!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ah i see the ADU defender has logged on

What is wrong with ADUs and providing affordable housing to people in neighborhoods that were previously the exclusive domain of single-family owners?

I was recently involved in an ADU campaign in MD and got it passed despite voracious and nasty counter-campaigns from the home owners.

Landlords can be poo poo but I found you can also work with them, at least the ones with vision. Upper-middle class / upper class single family home owners though are the true class enemy and I wish more leftists would see this.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Celexi posted:

If only one could build high density tall buildings that have housing on them and business at ground level, they could even have underground parking, imagine something so disruptive!!
I just found out a Starbucks in my old neighborhood shuttered recently. It was in the corner space of a MultiUse Development, where the 1st floor is all office/business and the rest are apartments.

The shop was across from a hospital and on a busy street so i can only imagine they tried to jack the rent up and Stsrbucks just went "have fun explaining to your residents why the coffee shop is gone".

Considering the only other business is a dental office, management probably isn't too good at handling the commercial spaces...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What is wrong with ADUs and providing affordable housing to people in neighborhoods that were previously the exclusive domain of single-family owners?

I was recently involved in an ADU campaign in MD and got it passed despite voracious and nasty counter-campaigns from the home owners.

Landlords can be poo poo but I found you can also work with them, at least the ones with vision. Upper-middle class / upper class single family home owners though are the true class enemy and I wish more leftists would see this.

It was in jest, if you read upthread I am an ADU defender aswell. I rather enjoy middle class families being able to pay for their mortgage via rent. It's not bullshit. It's a strategy. It may seem evil if you look at some cities because median rent is so high regardless, incrimental change helps everything.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Solaris 2.0 posted:

1) Capitalism got us in this mess and will not get us out of it.
2) It continues to place under-served and forgotten people at the mercy of the people who continually vote against them. It puts the less fortunate in the backyards of the fortunate, to grow the latter's wealth.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FilthyImp posted:

I just found out a Starbucks in my old neighborhood shuttered recently. It was in the corner space of a MultiUse Development, where the 1st floor is all office/business and the rest are apartments.

The shop was across from a hospital and on a busy street so i can only imagine they tried to jack the rent up and Stsrbucks just went "have fun explaining to your residents why the coffee shop is gone".

Considering the only other business is a dental office, management probably isn't too good at handling the commercial spaces...

I had something explained to me, coincidentally by a coffee shop owner, about retail property.

His shop is in Carlsbad. A couple of doors down used to be a really good Mexican/Caribbean restaurant. They closed about 5 years ago due to raising rents.

The place was vacant for YEARS, and I've seen this pattern repeated in my area (north San Diego county) many times.

So why do landlords do this?

BECAUSE the accessed value of the 'mall' is based on the square footage and the minimal rent/sq-ft. being charged. So it's best in terms of selling or borrowing not to make any exceptions, even if it results in multiyear vacancies.

Now this could be complete BS, but there you go.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

ADUs seem great for families (economically, culturally, and socially) and what’s the point of letting it sit there empty once grandma dies?

I’m currently paying predatory rent to an apartment conglomerate so to paying it to an individual is six of one half a dozen the other from my viewpoint.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah, ADUs are good, and every argument against ADUs here seems to be that they won't single handedly usher in the revolution and the abolition of private property ownership or some poo poo. NIMBY groups have fought extremely hard against ADU laws being passed, and organizations advocating for renters have fought for them.

It's not SB50, but it's definitely A Good Thing that they're easier to make now. Applications for ADU permits have shot way up since these new laws passed. Thats new housing being constructed that wouldn't have been otherwise, or would have been illegal and potentially not up to code.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

I had something explained to me, coincidentally by a coffee shop owner, about retail property.

His shop is in Carlsbad. A couple of doors down used to be a really good Mexican/Caribbean restaurant. They closed about 5 years ago due to raising rents.

The place was vacant for YEARS, and I've seen this pattern repeated in my area (north San Diego county) many times.

BECAUSE the accessed value of the 'mall' is based on the square footage and the minimal rent/sq-ft. being charged. So it's best in terms of selling or borrowing not to make any exceptions, even if it results in multiyear vacancies.

https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2017/11/27/the-paradox-of-persistent-vacancies-and-high-prices

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

"Extend and Pretend" that potential commercial tenants aren't doing some cost evaluation of getting into the guillotine business.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 29, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

cool that no one thinks to asses the value including $0/sqft for the vacant parts

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

bawfuls posted:

cool that no one thinks to asses the value including $0/sqft for the vacant parts
The banks basically own these highly leveraged properties permanently anyway. 10% of the "assessed" value is all that's ever actually invested, and then the bank plays lovely games that milk everyone for interest and rents without ever letting values or rents stabilize. Of course the investors and banks never take a haircut, it's always someone else who has to take all the risk an guarantee profits to capital above all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Landlords can be poo poo but I found you can also work with them
Upper-middle class / upper class single family home owners though are the true class enemy

No.

it literally has "lord" in the name!!!!!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Speaking of working with landlords, I just discovered that my lease doesn't have any language about pet rent, yet I've been paying it for two years! It's on their promotional materials but that ain't a lease so I've got a fun conversation to have tomorrow morning with the property manager.

Coincidentally i plan to drop off my first rent check of my new lease then too, I'm assuming they can't just tear up the lease in front of me when I refuse to pay pet rent anymore.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

slicing up eyeballs posted:

property manager

Tangental, but I love this euphemism for "landlord"

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I figured the landlord owned the complex, the property manager was the middleman that the tenants actually deal with, the local landlord. Petty landlord

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

Tangental, but I love this euphemism for "landlord"

Yeah a property manager is someone an owner hires to handle the business of managing their propery. Hence the name. it could be a huge corporation handling tons of apartment complexes, or it could be a single person who handles one rental unit because the owners don't live nearby and they need someone who can go unclog a toilet or clean the place between tenants once every three years or whatever.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Absolutely, but gently caress their noble titles and court rituals.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Centrist Committee posted:

I love this euphemism for "landlord"
Property managers need a real estate licence in California. Unfortunately that license doesn't actually hold them to any higher standard when it comes to ignoring state law.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

While we're on the subject, if they've confirmed the received my signed lease, I'm considered locked in right? Or do they need to cash my first check or something first?

I'm thinking that this pet rent thing might be a big deal given that there are a ton of people with pets here and I'd like to be sure I'll have a home next month lol.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think you should re-read your lease, because a lot just say no pets and then there is some negotiation involved in altering that.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

There's a full on pet addendum that I signed, and it includes a pet deposit, which I paid. But there's no language about pet rent. Not even an empty field to put the number in, I mean the words don't appear anywhere on it the form. Same deal with the main lease document, no mention of pet rent. I can't find anything that I've signed that says I have to pay them pet rent :shrug:

E: sorry for the derail, I only found out yesterday and I've been wondering whether 1) I'm not obligated to pay that money anymore, 2) am i owed for the money I already paid?, 3) if they use the same lease for everyone, uhhhhhhhhhhhjj

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 29, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Might want to give the legal advice thread a visit.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slicing up eyeballs posted:

There's a full on pet addendum that I signed, and it includes a pet deposit, which I paid. But there's no language about pet rent. Not even an empty field to put the number in, I mean the words don't appear anywhere on it the form. Same deal with the main lease document, no mention of pet rent. I can't find anything that I've signed that says I have to pay them pet rent :shrug:

E: sorry for the derail, I only found out yesterday and I've been wondering whether 1) I'm not obligated to pay that money anymore, 2) am i owed for the money I already paid?, 3) if they use the same lease for everyone, uhhhhhhhhhhhjj

FCKGW posted:

Might want to give the legal advice thread a visit.

I read that thread a lot, and their advice is always the same, CALL AND TALK TO A LAWYER

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yea, get a free consultation.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I was afraid of that. figured since it's the weekend I would have to wait to get in touch with a lawyer anyways. Thanks all!

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Turtlicious posted:

I read that thread a lot, and their advice is always the same, CALL AND TALK TO A LAWYER

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3266659.

Any lawyer who gives out specific legal advice to a stranger on a message board is just begging to get kicked in the dick.

That is a great way to get sued and or disbarred.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You don't need to make tenement blocks. You don't need high-density housing. Medium density and good public transportation works 98% of the time, only the biggest economic powerhouse cities need anything more.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Boot and Rally posted:

The Bay Area in specific, and California in general, seems to be allergic to ground level retail with housing on top. The new construction in Sunnyvale and along North First street in San Jose has like 1 retail space per 1000 living units. It is usually a dentist or something too. It is baffling.

It became popular to convert homes into neighborhood retail in Santa Rosa. A number of houses downtown are law offices, and Joey’s Pizza downtown is a nice old house converted into a restaurant and a bar. I wouldn’t want to live in a shared space with such a thing, because ultimately you’re having to cooperate with a business on, say, what is an acceptable level of pest control.

Given that so much of California’s housing stock can seem mansion-esque, I’d rather see making it easier for grand old residences to be converted into commercial use for the same mixed use effect. Just because a building is too big to serve as a single family home anymore doesn’t mean we should lose it’s character. They’re also usually more accessible and part of the city patchwork than the shopping center with huge attached parking lot.

By contrast, tear down the Walmart’s for their sprawling property for your dense public housing project.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 30, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

You don't need to make tenement blocks. You don't need high-density housing. Medium density and good public transportation works 98% of the time, only the biggest economic powerhouse cities need anything more.

LA is the third biggest city economically in the world.

It's very spread out though.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jaxyon posted:

LA is the third biggest city economically in the world.

It's very spread out though.

Right I'm just saying a lot of the problems of CA are low density development and no real public transportation. It's a domino effect, the crappy public transportation in the Inland Empire + the overbuilding of suburb tracts down the I-15 have led to traffic and housing problems in other places.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Right I'm just saying a lot of the problems of CA are low density development and no real public transportation. It's a domino effect, the crappy public transportation in the Inland Empire + the overbuilding of suburb tracts down the I-15 have led to traffic and housing problems in other places.

Right, I'm saying that LA could really use high density housing on top of public transit.

It won't get it though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
LA’s problem is that it grew just as society reached the peak of using property development as a tool of racism. Then the city just sort of wore the problems of race on it’s sleeve for a couple decades, creating even more hostility toward civic unification.

When your city’s national identity is “home to the most hardened killers not yet behind bars”, which is what LA was known for until 1997 or so, it does contribute to some people deciding, for example, never to take public transit at all costs, specifically because there are no class barriers which are necessary for their peace of mind. And since it was already built with every segregationist trick in the book, it just means that large areas go nearly unserved. Either the poor people are denied the privileges of the wealthy, or in the case of transit the wealthy NIMBY to make sure nobody can easily reach their neighborhood without a car.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Jaxyon posted:

Right, I'm saying that LA could really use high density housing on top of public transit.

It won't get it though.

Basically all of the area west of the 405 and north of the 10 could be converted to mixed use 4-6 story (I forget the height limit on wood frames) and it would be awesome. I live in a much smaller city right now and it’s built that way and it’s much better for it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

MickeyFinn posted:

Basically all of the area west of the 405 and north of the 10 could be converted to mixed use 4-6 story (I forget the height limit on wood frames) and it would be awesome. I live in a much smaller city right now and it’s built that way and it’s much better for it.

West of the 405 and north of the 10 is some of the wealthiest parts of LA.

If that's why you're picking it, hell yeah I'm fine with bulldozing Brentwood.

There was a plan for adding huge density along Wilshire some decades ago.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Wow. So the story is true.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Securitiization of everything will ruin us.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

Did we follow up on the sf boulder story yet? Public works went out to put them back on the sidewalk despite them not having a permit, and last I saw the city will be expediting a permit to keep them there.

https://twitter.com/JimYoull/status/1178027373570052096?s=19

gently caress these people

https://twitter.com/JimYoull/status/1178065218154328064?s=19