Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rayner rules out Labour going for a VONC this week.

Meanwhile Boris suggests he might whip Tory MPs to vote against their own government if the SNP call one.

I really, really hope the SNP don't decide to go for it this week, although I do think we're approaching the stage where Johnson might call one himself. I'm starting to get a feeling that's his master plan to get out of triggering the Benn act himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he gets someone else to do it that will probably lessen the dent to the tories from doing it, though he will still have failed to brexit by his deadline.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Carborundum posted:

Same and disagree. I know this will vary wildly between subjects and institutions but...

The HEA accreditation, which is the one most lecturers have, is totally meaningless. You just have to fill in a form and you can mostly make it about your research if you want.
Yes the HEA is largely a sop to teaching quality as it stands but the increasing use of the pgcert as the route to getting the FHEA accreditation is (at least in my experience) a positive thing for teaching.

Carborundum posted:

You have really bought in to the jargon haven't you? This sounds like a powerpoint slide.
lol you caught me - that's straight out of my old probation form

Carborundum posted:

Totally untrue at my institution (and I suspect all other up their own arse Russel Groups).
I'm at an up their own arse russel group uni. I've yet to see this supposed realignment of priorities turn into a promotion for anyone. But my guess for them beating the drum on this is: our uni has seen the tide turn and grant capture as income is hosed so that leaves exorbitant fees for overseas students as the major income stream. Teaching matters to the executive board now (yes, because of the money) so priorities change & evidence of quality teaching is dangled as a means for promotion now. Of course the realignment doesn't extend so far as adjusting hours expected to actually do any of the work.

When TEF does come around, i expect that other unis will follow suit and emphasise the value of teaching much more in a lecturer's career progression (in the same awful metric-gaming way we do with the REF)

Carborundum posted:

I would say, from my point of view as a lecturer: the workload models; the massive numbers of students and the incentives of promotion and/or tenure being totally based on getting grants, the time to think, develop useful stuff and have some kind of ongoing relationship with my students isn't there.
hard same (apart from the extreme grant reliance in my dept)

Carborundum posted:

If anyone made it this far... personally I think the classic 'stand in front of a board and talk at the class' style lecture is generally a bad way to teach, but some people are really good at it. I think the education and research university is maybe a good idea, but just like every other institution in society capitalism infected it and made it worse.
It's a great way to ensure that a very large number of students get their mandated contact time & unlikely to provide much else. I have to do a lot of that simply because resources per student don't allow for anything else (unless the dept wants to move me to teaching only role) but that does mean that as I want students to actually get something out of the class i've got to be '''''''innovative'''''''' in content and delivery. which is great chaotic fun.

Vlex posted:

God this was not the post to read as I'm prepping for a lectureship interview.

At least there are 12 candidates for 2 posts so my chances are tiny :buddy:
Good luck with it!

pitch a fitness fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Sep 29, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pablo Bluth posted:

Has anyone mentioned that Hodge is having to go through reselection?

Yes but please do feel free to mention it again so we can have a good laugh

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Tony Diver

You've been down too long in F B P E

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rory Stewart looks like one of the reanimated corpses from Lifeforce.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think for maths and CS specifically you can’t usefully move away from talking in front of a board (or a slideshow) for most of the class. Proofs are basically solving difficult puzzles, and the blackboard-and-homework model boils down to telling them how to use their tools, walking them through some example solutions, and giving them some more puzzles to solve on their own time. The only alternative to that I can see would be solving the puzzles collaboratively, and that’s just not going to work well with a group of more than ten people or so - where a compulsory class is going to have 200+ students. A particularly well-staffed department (maybe a quarter of the Russell Group?) can afford to do that once every two weeks or so, with PhD students leading the groups.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/KerryJaneBoyd/status/1178218765013651456

Didn't see this linked.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1178242236842160129?s=20

What else are you gonna do on Sunday? Stick this is your earhole already. If nothing else, listening to Ballistari being driven mad by Suzanne Moore is very good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:yeah:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't tell if the Tories are reacting to it because it's anti-Tory, because it might suggest violence or because it might suggest wealth redistribution.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I can't tell if the Tories are reacting to it because it's anti-Tory, because it might suggest violence or because it might suggest wealth redistribution.

TBH the hanging dummies do more than just suggest violence.

(its still good)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/Strongarms12/status/1178240876843339779

"We can't say for sure that it was only austerity that killed those people" is what your "fact checking" websites get you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Junior G-man posted:

What else are you gonna do on Sunday? Stick this is your earhole already. If nothing else, listening to Ballistari being driven mad by Suzanne Moore is very good.

did you just snitch tag yourselves

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Any VONC or forced election before Brexit date is kicked down the road by Boris is a dumb idea because it'll just setup the "Brexit Betrayal" angle they're so desperate to fight a GE with.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Not So Fast posted:

TBH the hanging dummies do more than just suggest violence.

(its still good)

I didn't even notice those. Evidently I need new glasses.

It's not like anything but wealth distribution would work anyway. The Tories could skip so much unpleasantness by just going straight for that.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

From the replies:

https://twitter.com/Strongarms12/status/1178240876843339779

"We can't say for sure that it was only austerity that killed those people" is what your "fact checking" websites get you.

"It wasn't only austerity, it was also other policies"

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iboNJkmeex0

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Facehammer posted:

Tony Diver

You've been down too long in F B P E

Lol, very good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

breggsit

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1178244508242325504

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I wonder if even 5% of the outraged commentators actually are dense enough to parse this as a threat, rather than just spouting sheer disingenuous faux-outrage. And I'm not sure which is worse

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Lol the amount of mad in the comments talking about how this proves how evil the left is. Of course, the left hasn't actually assassinated a sitting Tory MP or anything but a hyperbolic sign is evidence of how dangerous we are.

I mean, seems to me like if you don't want someone to call for your head maybe don't kill 130,000 people, just take responsibility for your actions and their consequences.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

e: actually nm

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I wonder if even 5% of the outraged commentators actually are dense enough to parse this as a threat, rather than just spouting sheer disingenuous faux-outrage. And I'm not sure which is worse

In fairness the one a couple of years ago was slightly more explicit :v:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/30/tory-delegates-to-party-conference-targeted-by-fascists

Also lol guardian yeah "fascists" famous for wanting to hang tories and red flags.

I also want to point out that manchester has a serial thing of hanging tories in effigy during conference lol.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 29, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ms Adequate posted:

Lol the amount of mad in the comments talking about how this proves how evil the left is. Of course, the left hasn't actually assassinated a sitting Tory MP or anything but a hyperbolic sign is evidence of how dangerous we are.

I mean, seems to me like if you don't want someone to call for your head maybe don't kill 130,000 people, just take responsibility for your actions and their consequences.

https://youtu.be/acT_PSAZ7BQ

On repeat atm

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Qwertycoatl posted:

"It wasn't only austerity, it was also other policies"

The main argument seems to be that the 130k figure might not be perfectly accurate, so it doesn't matter what the true total is of those killed by government policy. It's exactly the same talking point used against gun control in the US, as if there is an acceptable non-zero number of school mass shootings per year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

I didn't even notice those. Evidently I need new glasses.

It's not like anything but wealth distribution would work anyway. The Tories could skip so much unpleasantness by just going straight for that.

I thought it was a little tiny policeman looking up at the banner and scratching his chin in puzzlement

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

xtothez posted:

The main argument seems to be that the 130k figure might not be perfectly accurate, so it doesn't matter what the true total is of those killed by government policy. It's exactly the same talking point used against gun control in the US, as if there is an acceptable non-zero number of school mass shootings per year.

Yeah, like you could directly link only 5,000 deaths to austerity and it would still be way too loving many.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

We should be better than this. We should lead by example, not lower ourselves to the right's lovely level.

Also only 2 hangees? Plenty of unused posts on that bridge.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Who is BSJ other than possibly a new strain of mad cow disease?
Battle Star Johnson?

(An ageing wreck barely holding itself together as it flees from the ceaseless onslaught of a superior opponent).

Azza Bamboo posted:

Late reply but Smith joined the LDs dude.
Oh. When's the lib dem conference? :v:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

njsykora posted:

Yeah, like you could directly link only 5,000 deaths to austerity and it would still be way too loving many.

But saving these five thousand people might cost me some of my mortgage rebate!

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm making Bloody Stupid Johnson happen for ABdePfJ by myself, because I refuse to go with Boris. This is my quest

Joris Bohnson

I’m still hearing this constantly, my brain is dying, send help

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1178247545279041537?s=21

A Corbyn Twitter post about anything related to Judaism that isn’t immediately being ratio’d by the commentariat? Could the times really be a-changing?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

Ratjaculation posted:

We should be better than this. We should lead by example, not lower ourselves to the right's lovely level.

Also only 2 hangees? Plenty of unused posts on that bridge.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1178258851684065280

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

extremely lib mindset

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
How do these people not realize the police gets called on them and actual consequences follow

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Angepain posted:

did you just snitch tag yourselves

Lol we’re not good at Twitter.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This is going to end up with a Tory getting killed and Boris trying to declare martial law to root out the 'far left extremists' responsible, isn't it?

The country's just dumb enough to fall for it as well. "Extremists are trying to take away are brexit!" (That was started and hyped up by extremists)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

During the “interview” on Marr, he started off saying they were building 20 new ones, then later said 14. By the end of today they will be demolishing them all at this rate