Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

This seems like a way to minimize damage to Pence and other administration officials more than anything, which is a strategy they will absolutely try once they realize Piss Daddy is completely hosed. Which may have been last week.

Paul Ryan just parachuted onto Fox’s advisory board and one of the first things he told them was “Trump is hosed, throw him under the bus” and is apparently gearing up to try and use Fox as a means to exact revenge against Trump for revealing him to be a nuclear clownstick and ruining his otherwise perfect auto-pilot trajectory to a massive government pension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Lucania posted:

Was this posted? Let's see which congresswomen CNN considers the leaders on impeachment:

https://twitter.com/CNNnewsroom/status/1177968132188774400?s=19

Hrm.

loving CNN whitewashing this poo poo. The leaders of the call to impeach him weren't loving white moderates you hacks.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

nine-gear crow posted:

Paul Ryan just parachuted onto Fox’s advisory board and one of the first things he told them was “Trump is hosed, throw him under the bus” and is apparently gearing up to try and use Fox as a means to exact revenge against Trump for revealing him to be a nuclear clownstick and ruining his otherwise perfect auto-pilot trajectory to a massive government pension.

Thank you for making me crunch the numbers and find that Paul Ryan is only getting $37,995/year in pension.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

loving CNN whitewashing this poo poo. The leaders of the call to impeach him weren't loving white moderates you hacks.

They lead the way in waiting until it was politically safe to investigate our openly criminal, rapist president

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lucania posted:

Was this posted? Let's see which congresswomen CNN considers the leaders on impeachment:

Hrm.

Wait, what? I'm not trying to downplay their achievements, but it seems like a few alternative names would come to mind first.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm actually 100% OK with this. I could see Trump literally stroking out if Fox started running even 50%-50% pro/anti impeachment coverage. I will also thoroughly enjoy watching GOP establishment schmucks like him publicly come out all decorum style and be like, "Actually yeah, he is loving ignorant."

Do you happen to have a particular article you'd recommend?

This is the first one I saw that wasn't behind a paywall https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-position-fox-board-reign-in-trump-report-2019-9

quote:

Former Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin was the speaker of the House for the first two years of the Trump administration, but he believes it is his new job as a board member of Fox Corporation that will finally allow him to "do something" about President Donald Trump, according to a new report in Vanity Fair.

Ryan, who joined the Fox Corporation board in March, is now said to be one of the most important voices pushing Fox CEO Lachlan Murdoch to transition Fox News and pivot away from Trump, according to Vanity Fair.

"Paul is embarrassed about Trump and now he has the power to do something about it," a Fox executive told Vanity Fair. Fox Corporation did not immediately respond to a phone call or emailed request for comment on the Vanity Fair piece.

Ryan often gave in to Trump's demands as House speaker, even as he was said to privately disapprove of Trump's bombastic, tweet-first-and-think-later governing style.

Read more: Former House Speaker Paul Ryan said he wanted to 'scold' Trump 'all the time' because Trump 'didn't know anything about government'

Ryan has been openly critical of Trump ever since leaving Congress. In several on-the-record interviews for the Politico correspondent Tim Alberta's book, "American Carnage," Ryan didn't mince words about Trump.

"I told myself I gotta have a relationship with this guy to help him get his mind right," Ryan told Alberta. "Because, I'm telling you, he didn't know anything about government ... I wanted to scold him all the time."

In one instance recounted in the book, Trump was displeased that a 2018 spending package didn't include funding for his desired border wall. He signed it only on the condition that Ryan allow him some time to generate suspense for the bill on Twitter.

Ryan said: "We helped him make much better decisions, which were contrary to kind of what his knee-jerk reaction was. Now I think he's making some of these knee-jerk reactions."

On Tuesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced the House would be launching a formal impeachment inquiry over an explosive whistleblower complaint from the intelligence community that accused Trump of pressuring Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate one of Trump's political rivals, former Vice President Joe Biden, and his son Hunter Biden. The now-declassified complaint was made public Thursday.

Read more: A formal impeachment inquiry has been launched: Here's everything we know about the whistleblower complaint and Trump's phone call with Ukraine's president

"For the past several months, we have been investigating in the committees and litigating in the courts whether Congress can exercise its full Article I power, including the constitutional power of approval of articles of impeachment," Pelosi said at a news conference.

Pelosi decried Trump's actions as having "revealed the dishonorable fact of the president's betrayal of his oath of office, betrayal of our national security, and betrayal of the integrity of our elections" in getting behind a formal impeachment inquiry.

On Fox News the coverage of the complaint has varied. Shep Smith has gained attention as one of the few Fox News hosts to publicly push back on Trump and the GOP. Smith's defense of the Fox News analyst Andrew Napolitano's comments on the whistleblower complaint led to on-air ire from the Fox News opinion host Tucker Carlson.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dammerung posted:

Wait, what? I'm not trying to downplay their achievements, but it seems like a few alternative names would come to mind first.

CNN is by old white neo-liberals for old white neo-liberals they would never put the women of color who have been leading on impeachment on their screens front and center lest they give their target audience a stroke

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tokyo reject posted:

I'm actually 100% OK with this. I could see Trump literally stroking out if Fox started running even 50%-50% pro/anti impeachment coverage. I will also thoroughly enjoy watching GOP establishment schmucks like him publicly come out all decorum style and be like, "Actually yeah, he is loving ignorant."

This is the first one I saw that wasn't behind a paywall https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ryan-position-fox-board-reign-in-trump-report-2019-9

That was the one I was referring to, yes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lucania posted:

Hrm.

Lmao what a blatant puff piece to inflate some nobodies because the establishment is terrified of the Squad. "Badasses", seriously?

Dammerung posted:

No poo poo lol, that article is such a naked example of white supremacy. All the credit goes to the CIA and military officers who dragged their heels on impeachment and not to AOC or Maxine Waters or any of the people who were calling for impeachment immediately.

Crowning the cowards who waited as long as possible to sign onto impeachment as "leaders" is Democrat as gently caress.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Dems still on the fence on impeachment (ie Max Rose) are morons. They’re going to vote to impeach when the vote comes up, and the GOP is going go after them anyway. Why not take a full measure and go after Trump 100%?

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

nine-gear crow posted:

That was the one I was referring to, yes.

I really liked the "shrieking maniac" term in the article posted in the CSPAM thread. Oh lord, if we could just get someone like Paul Ryan to publicly refer to Trump as a shrieking maniac while he simultaneously comes increasingly unglued I could really see that gaining enough traction to start seeing some Senate GOP'ers start to break off.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lmao what a blatant puff piece to inflate some nobodies because the establishment is terrified of the Squad. "Badasses", seriously?

It doesn't just inflate these women, it literally marginalizes the role played by the actual women who led the charge on impeachment. It's incredibly disgusting, condescending, whitewashing garbage.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I wanna say this is quaint, but in context it's just bizarre. We're living in the timeline where the president of the United States froths at the mouth about "shithole countries", but Robert DeNiro can't say "gently caress" without it derailing his point.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Paradoxish posted:

It doesn't just inflate these women, it literally marginalizes the role played by the actual women who led the charge on impeachment. It's incredibly disgusting, condescending, whitewashing garbage.

It really is a phenomenally bad article. The most charitable understanding is that CNN is falsely assigning a leadership role to less visible and less active members of Congress regarding impeachment. At worst, that article is whitewashing and trying to destroy the work that POC/progressives have done getting all of this work done.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

Hahahah hoping Pompeo is watching this somewhere PISSED Rudy decided to grab his flask and is hitting the networks dragging him into this by name

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1178380618125627392?s=20

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tokyo reject posted:

Hahahah hoping Pompeo is watching this somewhere PISSED Rudy decided to grab his flask and is hitting the networks dragging him into this by name

Are we 100% sure that this wasn’t just some long con by Rudy to get in tight with Trump, implicate him and his crew in a bunch of crimes and then confess to everything to take them all down in revenge for that time Trump made him do drag for some comedy skit? Because this is starting to seem almost calculated :tinfoil:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

nine-gear crow posted:

let_them_fight dot gif

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nine-gear crow posted:

Are we 100% sure that this wasn’t just some long con by Rudy to get in tight with Trump, implicate him and his crew in a bunch of crimes and then confess to everything to take them all down in revenge for that time Trump made him do drag for some comedy skit? Because this is starting to seem almost calculated :tinfoil:

a long long time ago, rudy giuliani was the us attorney in charge of the southern district of New York and cut his teeth taking down the NYC mafia

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

He’s just scared and saw Trump and his ilk get away with everything before by blabbing it all so he’s doing the same.

What must he terrifying is that, normally in this kind of situation, you could go to the FBI and say “I hosed up and I want to make it right. You’re going to want to record this” and try to get ahead of everything and cooperate, but in our situation the FBI seems to be Trump’s gestapo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Dammerung posted:

It really is a phenomenally bad article. The most charitable understanding is that CNN is falsely assigning a leadership role to less visible and less active members of Congress regarding impeachment. At worst, that article is whitewashing and trying to destroy the work that POC/progressives have done getting all of this work done.

I don't think there's any room for a charitable interpretation, to be honest:

quote:

Not 'the squad'

Until now, the House freshmen group that got the most headlines is the so-called "squad," who come from reliably Democratic areas far different from the swing districts these "Badasses" represent.

They have different political realities, and very different styles.

"None of us is ever going to get in a Twitter war with anyone else," Slotkin said flatly. "If we have a concern with someone, we're going to go right up and talk to them about it and we're not going to add unhelpful rhetoric to an already bad tone coming out of Washington."

Have they been frustrated that "the squad" and Twitter wars they're involved in get attention?

"I don't care who has the headlines," Spanberger responded. "I care about the legislation that we prioritize and I don't think any of us want to be the loudest voice in the room. I just want to be one of the most effective."

They also realize that despite needing GOP votes to win these moderate districts, they also need to keep their left flank happy, and excited.

"What I tell people in my district, the left wing of our party has created such momentum behind things like moving forward on our environment," Sherrill said.

It's clear that the writer of this piece felt that the wrong people were in the spotlight and this is just an attempt to rectify. It's notable not only because it's a kind of gross article, but also because it's just completely tone deaf and out of touch.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

tokyo reject posted:

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/992040650857119744

Just on repeat.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fcsgSiVr8

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tokyo reject posted:

Does this mean that "board member of Fox News" is a more powerful position than speaker of the house

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Paradoxish posted:

"I don't care who has the headlines," Spanberger responded. "I care about the legislation that we prioritize and I don't think any of us want to be the loudest voice in the room. I just want to be one of the most effective."

Quite the coded racism right there from Spanberger -- no surprise from the CIA officer.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Paradoxish posted:

It's clear that the writer of this piece felt that the wrong people were in the spotlight and this is just an attempt to rectify. It's notable not only because it's a kind of gross article, but also because it's just completely tone deaf and out of touch.

Haha, wow. This article is really something:

quote:

When they got to talking, these five would-be congresswomen realized that they had a lot in common, despite being from different parts of the country: they all had careers in national security they were trying to parlay into elected office.

They became fast friends, and called themselves the "badasses."

"I think badasses kind of came organically from the group since we all had either served in the military or in the CIA," Houlahan said.

I don't think this could be any more neoliberal to be honest. Ideas, not identity - how does their past experience innately make them badasses at their present one?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Does this mean that "board member of Fox News" is a more powerful position than speaker of the house
Well, we kinda already know that Trump is getting his marching orders from both Putin, that one Fox morning show (Fox & Friends, iirc?) then Hannity, Carlson and... O'Reilly? I recall a radio guy who basically regurgitated Trump talking points and was in Fox, but I dunno if it was Billo or someone else.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Wark Say posted:

Well, we kinda already know that Trump is getting his marching orders from both Putin, that one Fox morning show (Fox & Friends, iirc?) then Hannity, Carlson and... O'Reilly? I recall a radio guy who basically regurgitated Trump talking points and was in Fox, but I dunno if it was Billo or someone else.

He loves Lou Dobbs too. Basically if you're on The TV and saying nice things about him you're in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1178309111932477442

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

quote:

They became fast friends, and called themselves the "badasses."

new thread title please

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I don't understand how they are letting Ruddy just walk around like they haven't sat down and discussed their game plan, the flailing indicates he has to be on the outs with just about everyone.

osker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 29, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

osker posted:

I don't understand how they are letting Ruddy just walk around like they haven't say down and discussed their game plan, the flailing indicates he has to be on the outs with just about everyone.

there is only one person in a position to do that and he is well known to be pathologically incapable of confrontation 1v1

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

osker posted:

I don't understand how they are letting Ruddy just walk around like they haven't say down and discussed their game plan, the flailing indicates he has to be on the outs with just about everyone.

Rudy has dementia and only listens to Trump, and Trump has dementia and doesn't listen to anyone. It's that simple.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

osker posted:

Trump watches him on Tv and thinks he does a good job. Seriously that’s the reason.

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, that's not really the comparison I'm trying to make. I rank Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker right up there with Lindsay Graham's absolute bootlicking moral cowardice. What a world to imagine where a speaker would initiate impeachment hearings against a president from their own party because it's the right thing to do. But up until last week I wasn't even sure we'd see the speaker from the other party pull the trigger.

But now that Paul Ryan has guaranteed what I imagine is a 7 figure paycheck from Fox and he's out for revenge, hey gently caress it, I'm all for it. I wasn't really trying to make a comparison about which position is "more powerful".

Although that IS an interesting, if not depressing point to think about. If we're being real, wasn't Pelosi basically waiting for an opportunity where she felt it was safe enough to try and change public opinion, of which Fox news is an absolutely major part of for ~40% of the country?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jealous Cow posted:

He’s just scared and saw Trump and his ilk get away with everything before by blabbing it all so he’s doing the same.

What must he terrifying is that, normally in this kind of situation, you could go to the FBI and say “I hosed up and I want to make it right. You’re going to want to record this” and try to get ahead of everything and cooperate, but in our situation the FBI seems to be Trump’s gestapo.

Tangentially — I am still having considerable trouble coming to terms with the idea that the Mueller report came out and was carefully maneuvered into being a wet fart, and Trump's reaction was not "Phew, I got away with that by the skin of my teeth! Better be more careful with that kind of poo poo", but rather I AM INVINCIBLE, FULL STEAM AHEAD

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

tokyo reject posted:

I mean, that's not really the comparison I'm trying to make. I rank Paul Ryan's tenure as speaker right up there with Lindsay Graham's absolute bootlicking moral cowardice. What a world to imagine where a speaker would initiate impeachment hearings against a president from their own party because it's the right thing to do. But up until last week I wasn't even sure we'd see the speaker from the other party pull the trigger.

But now that Paul Ryan has guaranteed what I imagine is a 7 figure paycheck from Fox and he's out for revenge, hey gently caress it, I'm all for it. I wasn't really trying to make a comparison about which position is "more powerful".

Although that IS an interesting, if not depressing point to think about. If we're being real, wasn't Pelosi basically waiting for an opportunity where she felt it was safe enough to try and change public opinion, of which Fox news is an absolutely major part of for ~40% of the country?

Oh I was referring to the article which didn't show up in the quote, where Ryan all but says "now that I am no longer speaker of the house and am a board member of fox, I am finally able to pursue my political agenda"

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump watches him on Tv and thinks he does a good job. Seriously that’s the reason.

:chaostrump: Good ratings equals good job :chaostrump:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

This entire article is one long white neo-liberal whine that they aren’t getting the attention they feel they deserve because of those too loud POC like holy poo poo no self awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Data Graham posted:

Tangentially — I am still having considerable trouble coming to terms with the idea that the Mueller report came out and was carefully maneuvered into being a wet fart, and Trump's reaction was not "Phew, I got away with that by the skin of my teeth! Better be more careful with that kind of poo poo", but rather I AM INVINCIBLE, FULL STEAM AHEAD

I don't know how you could've watched Trump's behavior this long and not assumed that's how he would act. He doubles/triples/quadruples down on EVERYTHING.