Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Dunno why but I pictured you as a really swole witch/warlock & it made me laugh

Brocus Pocus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
400 squat finally boys, but it didn't get recorded so here is a quite pathetic 395.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B27hhPFAFYD/

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

400 squat finally boys, but it didn't get recorded so here is a quite pathetic 395.

Congrats. Super clean rep, too.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Hello good lift!

*pushes button to activate white light on board*

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Thanks, fellow something awful posters. I feel like I'm knocking on wood or whatever here, but squats kind of don't always feel like garbage anymore.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I just hopped on the scale for the first time in 3 weeks thinking I’d gained but ended up dropping 4 🤷‍♂️

I’ve had to ramp down my workouts to 45-60 minutes 4-5 times a week with the baby twins. I still feel strong but I wonder if I’m losing muscle by not hitting the gym every day

bomb fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 27, 2019

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

drat fine rep, my goon.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Good.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bomb posted:

I just hopped on the scale for the first time in 3 weeks thinking I’d gained but ended up dropping 4 🤷‍♂️

I’ve had to ramp down my workouts to 45-60 minutes 4-5 times a week with the baby twins. I still feel strong but I wonder if I’m losing muscle by not hitting the gym every day

Weigh yourself regularly for the next few weeks, it can fluctuate quite a bit day to day so you might have just been on a low

Also if you're really busy compared to before you might be snacking/eating less, i've had that happen to me before and unexpectedly lose weight

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I don't know how much y'all know or care about weightlifting but this happened at worlds

https://youtu.be/EB_AdDptAB0

The next Olympics we're gonna see some new records with the way he moved that weight (knock on wood he doesn't get injured or piss hot)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

canadianclassic posted:

I don't know how much y'all know or care about weightlifting but this happened at worlds

The next Olympics we're gonna see some new records with the way he moved that weight (knock on wood he doesn't get injured or piss hot)

He's amazing. It's a shame there's nobody close to him to really push him and see what his limits are.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Fhqwhgads posted:

Brocus Pocus

A cup of milk
A scoop of whey
Omega-threes
With BCAAs

Blend them up
And drink it whole
Lift heavy iron
Become the SWOLE

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

canadianclassic posted:

drat I should really put on some weight

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

canadianclassic posted:

This man is my inspiration. Tough for tall, large-framed walls of meat to do oly. He does it with such grace and he's the best.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Eh, the top SHWs in all strength sports are pretty tall. The reason why normal tall guys are weak is because normal tall guys don't weigh 400lbs

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

feelix posted:

Eh, the top SHWs in all strength sports are pretty tall. The reason why normal tall guys are weak is because normal tall guys don't weigh 400lbs

I'm being more personal than that. Teaching my hips to oly has been a struggle and watching him move is inspirational.

On the other hand, being a professional athlete at 400 pounds has its own challenges. Like eating enough.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What are smith machines actually good for?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Batterypowered7 posted:

Keeping people out of the power rack?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

bomb posted:

Keeping people out of the power rack?

Could just have another rack though

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Assistance work. https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/bodybuilding/a-love-affair-with-the-smith-machine/ has a few good ideas.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Batterypowered7 posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IHBLxCPmnVc

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The smith machine owns for leg accessory work and just accessory work in general

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I just see these dudes that have got like half a foot and eighty pounds on me get under the smith machine and do squats, oho, or bench and I'm left wondering why they're not using one of the empty racks instead.

E: It's probably just because it's a commercial gym instead of a power lifting gym, isn't it?

Flipgrip
Feb 16, 2007

Time posted:

The smith machine owns for leg accessory work and just accessory work in general

agreed

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I like to use the Smith for behind the neck presses and close grip bench. They can be okay for upright rows, too. Thanks for reading my Smith machine post.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
They work pretty well as accidental death devices.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Smith machines give you stability so you can focus fire on certain muscles easier, depending on exercise

Same with machines in general. You don't have to use your muscles as much to stabilize and balance yourself so you can do isolation work easier

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The worst thing about Smith machines is that they take up space that could be occupied with another rack

I have used one maybe twice ever

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

MikeCrotch posted:

The worst thing about Smith machines is that they take up space that could be occupied with another rack

I have used one maybe twice ever

That's two times too many, friend.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I somehow managed to jam my big toe toenail into a dumbbell I was picking up. The nail sort of cracked in the middle and there was blood, but at least it hasn't completely detached yet. :gibs:

Stay safe out there.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Batterypowered7 posted:

I just see these dudes that have got like half a foot and eighty pounds on me get under the smith machine and do squats, oho, or bench and I'm left wondering why they're not using one of the empty racks instead.

E: It's probably just because it's a commercial gym instead of a power lifting gym, isn't it?

That & they might have other instability issues from not working certain muscle groups as often. Bad as it sounds I've seen this a lot with dudes that don't work legs or core enough & only focus on jacking up their upper bodies. They use the smith machine because it doesn't require as much effort to balance or move the weight as it would being in an open rack with no supports or counterweights.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That & they might have other instability issues from not working certain muscle groups as often. Bad as it sounds I've seen this a lot with dudes that don't work legs or core enough & only focus on jacking up their upper bodies. They use the smith machine because it doesn't require as much effort to balance or move the weight as it would being in an open rack with no supports or counterweights.

Wouldn't a better solution be to take a hit to your ego and work your way up on an open rack instead of ignoring your stability issues? I understand if an injury is preventing you from doing that, but I don't understand being lazy about it if you're already willing to put so much effort in elsewhere.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The smith machine is insanely good for building leg size. Do your normal squat volume and then hop on it to go to failure with lighter weights. It’s great for very specific targeting

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I demand a SA swole discord where I can post my lifts and ask even stupider questions

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

you can do that here, friend

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

I demand a SA swole discord where I can post my lifts and ask even stupider questions

Just use instagram like the rest of us.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The smith machine is good for calf raises and hip thrusts too.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

doverhog posted:

I somehow managed to jam my big toe toenail into a dumbbell I was picking up. The nail sort of cracked in the middle and there was blood, but at least it hasn't completely detached yet. :gibs:

Stay safe out there.

Nail update: part of it has turned black, and there is blood oozing out. My flip flop on that foot is covered in blood right now.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 1, 2019

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Funkybuttluvr on Instagram if people want to see my swole cat bros and occasional lifting thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
Followed you.

I'm also jealous of everyone that has enough space to have their own garage gym.