Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

justcola posted:

What are some good left films/docs? I've been looking for some stuff to subjugate others to - Manufacturing Consent and The Corporation are alright, but I can't think of that many fictional films. I caught one on tv a while ago about unions - Chance of a Lifetime - though hard to track down a copy.

Wish they had made a film version of this with the below radio cast, oh boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHwZDWo3e9M

Everything by Ken Loach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pride

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Adam Curtis' Hypernormalisation, Bitter Lake and The Power of Nightmares are good, but take the grand narrative thing he does with a pinch of salt.

I mean, I'm not sure how 'lefty' they are per se?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol of course

https://twitter.com/DCKennard/status/1178589914696503296?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidLammy/status/1178587090487037953?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Junior G-man posted:

Adam Curtis' Hypernormalisation, Bitter Lake and The Power of Nightmares are good, but take the grand narrative thing he does with a pinch of salt.

I mean, I'm not sure how 'lefty' they are per se?

I rewatched hypernormalisation at the weekend, it’s good, but yeah, he’s loving big on weaving a grand story to unify everything.

Quite funny when the whole point of hypernormalisation is talking about the power of narratives.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Do you think they go to Manchester so that they can generate images like this?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

happyhippy posted:

I wish there some good dog fighting games to play, from any war or period.
I miss the XWing vs Tie Fighter games.

War Thunder, and its free to boot. h

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Adam Buxton had Curtis on his podcast, its a really good listen. Its not really that funny like when he interviews actors/comedians but still one of my favourites.

The grand narrative is mentioned and Curtis answers that of course he's trying to sell a narrative, all journalism is. He also had a lot of discussion about the rise of the individual and how this hurts the left: since everyone is making their 'own story', this leaves little room for the kind of anonymous sacrifice and struggle involved in bringing about change on a large scale. I'd recommend.

Link if you want it: http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ep44-adam-curtis

el dingo fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 30, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZamzamMCR/status/1178594974063046656?s=19

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Based on her Twitter she's not exactly supportive of conservatism, why would she even be there?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

president of NUS

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I am doing reception duty and have the conference on live

Jesus Christ it's so dull, everybody just stands up to no clapping, the jokes aren't funny, and everybody just stands up and says 'labour sucks' almost like they have no substantial things to say

This treasury fucker is saying that they need to be conservatives with heart, and saying that labour will damage the vulnerable? Jesus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm all for making tories vulnerable and then damaging them.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick/status/1178570511263178752?s=19

What could possibly go wrong.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

A Groverhaus on every street corner.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

This seems like a loving awful idea.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Classic Tories, some aspirational bullshit about growing families while actually implementing a policy that allows the 1% to build a mcmansion on every street if they want.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

New: buy to let housing kills 50,000 poors a year.

Certainly an original way of reducing Labour's voter base.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Awesome, can't wait to build my top floors out of corrugated metal so my kids can live in shanty housing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if there are any rules about the floor space of the upper floors, so they can do that overhanging thing the tudors did :v:

As long as I go up in the process can I build my third and fourth floor over the top of my neighbour's house?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

How many times are you allowed to add another two storeys?

Can't wait to recreate Kowloon Walled City.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
loving YIKES (warning: have unparsed URL due to fetus images)

https://twitter.com/stellacreasy/status/1178593407280799744

It's very telling that this got pass any checks, this is the state of our right wing funded country.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gone already. What was it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually if you think about it it's a really good idea, because with the battleground of planning permission the homeowners will end up murdering each other as they make increasingly stupider additions to their houses and block each other's light, thus lowering THE PROPERTY VALUES.

It's like if you figured out a way to make the landlords purge themselves.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Tory Conference inspired by Ready Player One. Did not see it coming.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Our house, spread all over our street.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jedit posted:

He shared a clip from 2015 of stuff getting thrown at Bojo in the street. Comments were like "stOp enCourAginG politCAl VioLencE yoUI raCisT" and stuff.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Actually if you think about it it's a really good idea, because with the battleground of planning permission the homeowners will end up murdering each other as they make increasingly stupider additions to their houses and block each other's light, thus lowering THE PROPERTY VALUES.

It's like if you figured out a way to make the landlords purge themselves.

The landlords won't care about whether light is blocked or whatever, they'll be focused on adding as many tiny rooms as they can in the new storeys to fit maximum tenants in the house and collect as much rent as they can before the lowest-bidder construction falls apart or goes on fire

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Qwertycoatl posted:

The landlords won't care about whether light is blocked or whatever, they'll be focused on adding as many tiny rooms as they can in the new storeys to fit maximum tenants in the house and collect as much rent as they can before the lowest-bidder construction falls apart or goes on fire

Yeah but the people who live next to the landlords will, so they'll murder and eat them :v:

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009
I don't think they've thought through very much. One of the longest running bits of drama from the village I lived in as a kid was when a guy called Phil built a bunch of admittedly groverhaus-like dumb and ugly shacks on his land and a load of homeowners went went completely crazy over it. I can't see this being all that popular with the 'maintain the character of our community' types.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

I'd be willing to bet it was him calling Trump a snowflake because he complained about being the worst treated president in history, as compared to the four presidents who were loving assassinated.

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but the people who live next to the landlords will, so they'll murder and eat them :v:

The people who live next to these houses aren't owners themselves, they're tenants, just like the people who live in them, though.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Archaeology Hat posted:

I don't think they've thought through very much. One of the longest running bits of drama from the village I lived in as a kid was when a guy called Phil built a bunch of admittedly groverhaus-like dumb and ugly shacks on his land and a load of homeowners went went completely crazy over it. I can't see this being all that popular with the 'maintain the character of our community' types.

All those lovely sandstone Cotswolds villages with dystopian shanty housing sticking out of their thatched roofs.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

I think this is a damning indictment of the BBC not because of the wording itself, but because of how people are interpreting the wording.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ugh, I don't even particularly want to buy my own place once I've saved enough, but the alternatives are at best slightly depressing and at worst actively detrimental to my physical and mental health. This country loving blows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_mzak/status/1178601851421429760?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:confused:

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1178610186526842881?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The extra stories are pretty transparently a way to add 2 more flats to your airbnb or buy to let property not to "grow your family" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to build a loving tower on my house. Double storey spire with each floor being 20' high.

tritsch posted:

loving YIKES (warning: have unparsed URL due to fetus images)

(url)

It's very telling that this got pass any checks, this is the state of our right wing funded country.
(cw pregnancy loss) They do this poo poo on purpose to harass people who have lost a pregnancy and it's hosed up. It's not even really about abortion (note the lack of any mention of that on the billboard), it's about targeted harassment. Their site even criticizes Stella over her own miscarriage. They really are awful fucks.

Extra walls for landlords. :hmmyes: