Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
fun fact. the most popular day for bannings/probing is monday.

presumably the mods are grump and hungover on mondays or it's just when the mod approval queue gets the most attention.

e. please don't ask me about the order of the graphs, i crashed excel 6 times trying to re-arrange it.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

BurgerQuest posted:

for some reason when cleaning up this dataset, there is like a chapter or two from atlas shrugged embedded in a bunch of blank rows. it rules.

I think The Great Gatsby is in there too.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here are all the collected paragraphs

https://pastebin.com/Mv12fjHD

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Kinda puzzled how sigtrap features so much. He was the moderator of AI and not an Admin as far as I know...?

Plus AI is kinda not that much of a high maintenance area for posters.... unlike our cars.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kinda puzzled how sigtrap features so much. He was the moderator of AI and not an Admin as far as I know...?

Plus AI is kinda not that much of a high maintenance area for posters.... unlike our cars.

i think i've cracked this one

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
any chance of showing the average probation length given? Sixers in general have become way more common than in previous years I’d think

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

FreshCutFries posted:

I'm surprised how few bans Eggplant Wizard had. The way people acted at the time, she was a terror on the entire community lmao.

Part of her thing was getting other mods to request/approve bans for her precisely so her name wouldn't be on it, there was a lot to unpack with that one.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Plane Jones posted:

any chance of showing the average probation length given? Sixers in general have become way more common than in previous years I’d think

A shift from 24 hour to 6 hour bans is pretty obvious around 2013/14. Also notable is the massive increase in probes handed out overall starting around the same time.

Also to note there is not much 04 data and 19 isn't finished yet, hence the pinching at each end.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

BurgerQuest posted:

fun fact. the most popular day for bannings/probing is monday.

presumably the mods are grump and hungover on mondays or it's just when the mod approval queue gets the most attention.

It’s more so the latter, at least in my experience.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can you figure out which users have spent the most time probated, filtering out the 100,000 hour ones?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Can you figure out which users have spent the most time probated, filtering out the 100,000 hour ones?

erm I think I did this sort of right. I took the top 20 users by probe count first, then turned it into hours. assumed '1 month' probes are 30 days so yeah. could be tweaked.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

this thread is getting good now

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

BurgerQuest posted:

A shift from 24 hour to 6 hour bans is pretty obvious around 2013/14. Also notable is the massive increase in probes handed out overall starting around the same time.

Also to note there is not much 04 data and 19 isn't finished yet, hence the pinching at each end.

I *think* that's because 6ers no longer required admin approval then....

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

BurgerQuest posted:

erm I think I did this sort of right. I took the top 20 users by probe count first, then turned it into hours. assumed '1 month' probes are 30 days so yeah. could be tweaked.

sup borktron and hogge wild :D :D :clint:

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here's the raw prawn on that table. seems to match up when i check NVJ's 5 page long rap sheet.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

BurgerQuest posted:

here is another version in 3000x2000 for printing and framing

thanks FactsAreUseless for these kind words

Finally something I can put up at the office without having my goon boss yell at me.
Thank you op, this thread rocks.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
This thread is awesome, thank you OP. Please make more word clouds in funny shapes because they are the best.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to bed now but leave any requests and I'll give them a shot tomorrow.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is it possible to do some sort of graph showing average probation length by forum?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah maybe, if the forum ID is in the URL for the ban type link. I'll check tomorrow. Otherwise probably not based on the current dataset.

Edit - No it just links to a post ID. I'd have to scrape the pages behind the 160k odd links to get forum info which would take a hell of a long time.

I could do it by moderator though, that might give you enough of a sense of the breakdown per forum.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 30, 2019

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019
This is really cool OP.

Methods q: for probation duration, how did you control for overlapping probes? Can you post an interval chart for probations over time? Like users on Y, dates on X, bar charts by start and duration of each probe?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No controlling for over laps. I litterally just took the last 2 words from every probe reason and then cleaned that up.

To do that and the rest needs a bit of scripting to generate useful data to graph which I won't have time to work on till next weekend. This is just quick and dirty excel and some web apps for the word clouds

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

hey, im in there too!

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

I like how it omits the underscores from "why the ____ ____" so it instead looks like the word cloud is asking "why the waffle iron?"

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
why did louisgod do so many probes and where'd all these mods and admins go

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They were melted down to be cast into new mods and admins. Very eco friendly.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Lmao the never ending tide of moderators this thread owns

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

heeheex2 posted:

why did louisgod do so many probes

"keep those jerky jokes coming, im readying up sixers" or whatever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BurgerQuest posted:

here's the raw prawn on that table. seems to match up when i check NVJ's 5 page long rap sheet.

I wish you could see the mod notes on NVJ's rap sheet (and on his old account DesignSpots) because I would like to see how many gas threads he has.

I just remember having to gas about 6 threads a day sometimes.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we build our internet shitpost superstars real good downunder that's for sure

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Moridin was so close yet so far for getting probated for a full year(on his main account, if you cheat and factor the probations on his obvious alt(s) it's probably at least one year then.)

Hogge wild having 1.01 years is also quite interesting

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ArfJason posted:

"keep those jerky jokes coming, im readying up sixers" or whatever

lmao oh yea

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would like to see how many gas threads he has.

for comparisons sake i once spent an afternoon spamming gbs with news threads and have only 125

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
someone give this guy access to the modqueue so he can pull stats from there

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

BurgerQuest posted:

i hosed up the first 2 graphs stop looking at them

ok but what abotu cowcaster and nyc_tattoo

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

in it voted 5

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

in it voted 5

in it three times voted 15

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BurgerQuest posted:

here is another version in 3000x2000 for printing and framing

thanks FactsAreUseless for these kind words
It's like magnetic fridge poetry. I can't decide if I like "permabanned insane" or "just get bad like QCS poo poo time" best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's like magnetic fridge poetry. I can't decide if I like "permabanned insane" or "just get bad like QCS poo poo time" best.

I like "racist THINK" at the bottom left, that in itself is a valid probation reason methinks.